Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abortion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm not surprised the church are against abortion, it would mean less kids to molest.

Ouch! Meow... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

If it wasn't for abortion I just wonder how many more mouths would there be to feed on this impoverished planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

irish-stew wrote: »
    Did you read all of my post? Prehaps you should again. This group was proposing that even if there was a risk to the mother, or if the child had no chance of survival she should be forced to go through with it. In those cases, the choice of abortion should be there.

And you expected what exactly?

Why should abortion be limited to those cases? Because it suits you?

In relation to preventing pregnancy there are plenty of options, the pill, morning after, condoms, the coil, etc etc etc, if your not using one of these, then prehaps you should consider restrant.

Sex is the most natural thing we do as post pubescent adults. It is our most basic instinct and drives much of the decisions we make in life, from the small every-minute decisions to large, life changing decisions. If anywhere in life mistakes should be tolerated, it should be with regards to such natural urges.
    And yes, I did expect preachy bullsh!t, but not for the alter to be used a political platform. It just shows there will never be a seperation of church and state, dispite what our constitution will lead us to belive.

Of course it'll be used as a political platform. Religion serves as a way of exerting power over people for a desired result. Of course it will be used and abused. It always has been and always will be.

This in particular is regarded as a Catholic country. Much of the canvassing by political entities is done outside churches.

Religion will dominate government here so long as the majority of the voters are religious. While we continue to turn out to vote in low numbers whose majority is comprised of old people, this will continue to be the case. The elderly here are controlled by the church, the government is controlled by the elderly and thus the government is controlled by the church.

Get all the young people out voting and things will change, although each government refuses to accommodate this as they've already spent so much effort pandering to the elderly at a cost to the young.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

PieForPi wrote: »
    And you expected what exactly?

Why should abortion be limited to those cases? Because it suits you?

Well I only usally go to church services for wedding, funerals, and Christmas, I'm not a particulary religious person in the sence of attending church, I have my morals, my beleifs, and my thoughts, but thats for another time. But I thought that the church, and I refer the place or building rather then the organisation was suppose to be for worship, self refelction and peace. Maybe your attending church services more than me or more than you let on, and have encountered such messeges.

Whose to say your arguement is not just to suit you? Cant people have there own opinion, is that not what debate is all about?
    Sex is the most natural thing we do as post pubescent adults. It is our most basic instinct and drives much of the decisions we make in life, from the small every-minute decisions to large, life changing decisions. If anywhere in life mistakes should be tolerated, it should be with regards to such natural urges.

It still comes with responsibilty, my views on abortion have nothing todo with religion, if that was the case why would I have been been so disgusted at what I seen/heard?
    Of course it'll be used as a political platform. Religion serves as a way of exerting power over people for a desired result. Of course it will be used and abused. It always has been and always will be.

This in particular is regarded as a Catholic country. Much of the canvassing by political entities is done outside churches.

Religion will dominate government here so long as the majority of the voters are religious. While we continue to turn out to vote in low numbers whose majority is comprised of old people, this will continue to be the case.

Get all the young people out voting and things will change, although each government refuses to accommodate this as they've already spent so much effort pandering to the elderly at a cost to the young.

Thankfully I still have my own mind, and use an informed choice. Which I used when this referendum was ran in relation to the X Case and voted in support of it. Unfortunatly our goverment, and every goverment in between have not had the balls to put the passed vote into legislation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

In relation to preventing pregnancy there are plenty of options, the pill, morning after, condoms, the coil, etc etc etc, if your not using one of these, then prehaps you should consider restrant.
    Unfortunately no form of contraceptive is 100% effective, it is still possible to get pregnant while using any of these. You can't just assume that anyone with an unplanned pregnancy was being irresponsible and having unprotected sex.

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    Unfortunately no form of contraceptive is 100% effective, it is still possible to get pregnant while using any of these. You can't just assume that anyone with an unplanned pregnancy was being irresponsible and having unprotected sex.

Granted, but you would have to be pretty damn unlucky if both the condom was to spilt, and then for the morning after pill to fail.

At least you have taken every precaution to avoid it, rather than seeking an abortion just becuase you decided not to use either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

being honest im sick of the abortion issue,they should be done with it already,but i dont think ireland is ready for abortion,and i dont think it is a good idea to legislate in ireland i think it would be a tragedy,if people really feel strongly about having an abortion they should get a plane over to the UK and show their dedication,by leglislating it here there might be a casual blase attitute towards it,teenagers getting them bc it doesnt suit their life or dont want to be tied to a bad boyf etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Colmustard wrote: »
    If it wasn't for abortion I just wonder how many more mouths would there be to feed on this impoverished planet.

Probably a negligible amount to be honest. Population growth is generally only an issue in undeveloped countries in Africa, Asia and the poorer parts of Latin America, places where contraception is barely practiced and things like the morning after pill or abortions barely exist. Abortions in developed countries have a tiny impact on Earth's population growth.
    Granted, but you would have to be pretty damn unlucky if both the condom was to spilt, and then for the morning after pill to fail.

At least you have taken every precaution to avoid it, rather than seeking an abortion just becuase you decided not to use either.

To be fair, do you really think many people use abortion as a method of birth control? Seriously do people think "yeah not bothered using the pill or condoms, we can just have an abortion sure"? How many people think like that in reality? A tiny, tiny amount I would hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

greenpilot wrote: »
    Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he loose? Would there be a backlash against the church?

Brady should go and screw himself!

The arrogant priest has some cheek telling others what is right and wrong.

He has yet to be held to account for his not speaking up for children that have been abused over many, many years.
    He should be arrested and charged with withholding evidence of crimes, if possible!
    Over ten years he refused to tell not one state but two, of child abuses that was going on.
    …But no… he’s kept his head down and hoped the matter has gone away, hoped the public have forgotten – sorry Brady – it hasn’t!

Your a criminal Brady!
    Now go away and crawl back under your rock!

To be fair, do you really think many people use abortion as a method of birth control? Seriously do people think "yeah not bothered using the pill or condoms, we can just have an abortion sure"? How many people think like that in reality? A tiny, tiny amount I would hope.

No, because the option is not currently there. But if abortion was to be brought in and allowed in all cases then there is a risk it could be and abused.

If it was to be brought in for the condtions that I have argued then careful consideration would obviously have to be given.

• Advertisement

Probably a negligible amount to be honest. Population growth is generally only an issue in undeveloped countries in Africa, Asia and the poorer parts of Latin America, places where contraception is barely practiced and things like the morning after pill or abortions barely exist. Abortions in developed countries have a tiny impact on Earth's population growth.

HUH
    I would say at least another Billion in China alone.

Colmustard wrote: »
    HUH
    I would say at least another Billion in China alone.

I wouldn't consider China to be an 'undeveloped' country. Due to its communist history it has a very different economic, cultural and social makeup than your typical 3rd world country. I understand your point but birth control was the massive factor there rather than abortions. India is another country that has a similar sort of issue.

To be fair I should qualify what I'm saying as the really undeveloped countries- Sub-saharan Africa and parts of the Indian sub-continent and South-East Asia predominantly. These are places where birth control and abortion aren't practiced or even generally available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm anti abortion but pro choice because I'm a realist.

No, because the option is not currently there. But if abortion was to be brought in and allowed in all cases then there is a risk it could be and abused.

If it was to be brought in for the condtions that I have argued then careful consideration would obviously have to be given.

Do you have statistics to prove this occurs in other countries-the United Kingdom or the United States for example? That people actually use abortion as a method of birth control? I just find it hard to believe that is a widespread practice. If evidence exists to prove me wrong I'm prepared to change my views however.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It still happens, I know someone that this exact scenario happened to. The morning after pill loses effectiveness the longer you leave before taking it, so it is certainly not a foolproof method.
    So, for example, if someone used condoms which then split, then took the MAP and it also failed... What then?
    being honest im sick of the abortion issue,they should be done with it already,but i dont think ireland is ready for abortion,and i dont think it is a good idea to legislate in ireland i think it would be a tragedy
    "Should be done with it already" - by this, do you mean that everyone should just accept that abortion is not currently legal and not seek to change it? Based on what? Why do you not think Ireland is ready for it? Saying it would be a 'tragedy' is not a particularly good argument as this is entirely based on your feelings about it.
    if people really feel strongly about having an abortion they should get a plane over to the UK and show their dedication
    Do you have any idea what it is like to experience travelling for an abortion? It's not as simple as just jumping on the next plane and making a wee holiday out of it, and there is a considerable expense as well. There was a really good article in the Irish Times a few months back that had people's stories of abortion under a huge variety of circumstances, it's well worth a read.
    by leglislating it here there might be a casual blase attitute towards it,teenagers getting them bc it doesnt suit their life or dont want to be tied to a bad boyf etc..
    I think most people would see abortion as a last resort, I don't think easing up on the legislation would lead to girls having abortions left, right and centre. As for not wanting to be tied to a bad boyfriend - what exactly do you mean by that? I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to be tied to a boyfriend that is abusive, for example.

I wouldn't consider China to be an 'undeveloped' country. Due to its communist history it has a very different economic, cultural and social makeup than your typical 3rd world country. I understand your point but birth control was the massive factor there rather than abortions. India is another country that has a similar sort of issue.

To be fair I should qualify what I'm saying as the really undeveloped countries- Sub-saharan Africa and parts of the Indian sub-continent and South-East Asia predominantly. These are places where birth control and abortion aren't practiced or even generally available.

How about Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union who had no access to Birth control but had liberal access to abortion. Abortion became the birth control method. It still is in Russia.

I would say the world population would be at least 3 billion greater if it wasn't for abortion. The world should have more abortions not less. There should be a 1 child policy for the world.

Do you have statistics to prove this occurs in other countries-the United Kingdom or the United States for example? That people actually use abortion as a method of birth control? I just find it hard to believe that is a widespread practice. If evidence exists to prove me wrong I'm prepared to change my views however.

No, but I'm sure that there are some that decide to use abortion as a means to end an unwanted pregnancy.

I would hope though that its only a minority of the abortions performed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

being honest im sick of the abortion issue,..

Awwwwwwwww.
    they should be done with it already,but i dont think ireland is ready for abortion,and i dont think it is a good idea to legislate in ireland i think it would be a tragedy,if people really feel strongly about having an abortion they should get a plane over to the UK and show their dedication,by leglislating it here there might be a casual blase attitute towards it,teenagers getting them bc it doesnt suit their life or dont want to be tied to a bad boyf etc..

Of course, women can't wait to get aborting. Its the highlight of their lives. They'll have "abort-ins", save one up for hen-nights. Same phenomena happened when they legalised teh ghey. Everyone went mad for the cock, except the wimmin, who went mad for the other thing.

Scarinae wrote: »
    It still happens, I know someone that this exact scenario happened to. The morning after pill loses effectiveness the longer you leave before taking it, so it is certainly not a foolproof method.

So, for example, if someone used condoms which then split, then took the MAP and it also failed... What then?

Its a decision that I would never wish on anyone to make. Based on my own beleifs re abortion, one of pro-choice belive it or not based on my posts, then if they feel its the route they want to take, the information should be there for them, and the routes available to them, weather that be here or abroad, ie, England or Wales.

I'm not going to cast a view or opinon on someone just because they have decided to get an abortion due to lifestyle or failed contraception, but the choice should be there depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

The church basicly say that it is wrong to destroy a sole, as it never gets a chance at life (i think. I dont exatly keep tabs on this)

Lets presume for a min that the sole does indeed exist (not bringing in god here. Just the concept of the sole).

If the sole does indeed exist there has to be a point during pregancy that the sole enters the fetus. This has to be true if the sole exists.

Then the question has to be, at what point does this happen? There has to be a point for the church to have any stance on this issue or to debate there point with reason.

I think buddists believe it is at 40days or something
    Doctor strassman believes that a DMT spike during pregancy could be the point at which what some call the sole in 'put' into the body.

From my own view of the churchs point of view if the 'sole' is not yet in the fetus then there is nothing there to kill. So there shouldn't be a problem

So should the focus (to keep church and older generation happy) not be to try and prove this scientificly?

That would make this debate alot easier
    1) if before sole enters then abort away
    2) if after and scientific proof of sole is found then have the debate
    3) if after and no scientific proof is found then abort away

Dont think i believe anything above but trying to see it from churchs point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

PieForPi wrote: »
    They're millionaires in their early 20s, are out living life... and what are you?
    Probably the older brother.

Of course, women can't wait to get aborting. Its the highlight of their lives. They'll have "abort-ins", save one up for hen-nights. Same phenomena happened when they legalised teh ghey. Everyone went mad for the cock, except the wimmin, who went mad for the other thing.

Lets have the honest,bitter,unpalatable truth for once,abortions promote a careless sexual lifestyle whereby if you get pregnant you can just scratch out that part of your life,that life somehow becomes cheapened,and abortion for all is NOT THE ANSWER.

It sends out the WRONG MESSAGE TO GIRLS AND BOYS FULL STOP.You can have sex and NOT COMMIT.Sex used to be about committal now its about scratching that part of your life you if you dont like it,if it puts a dent on your current lifestyle YOU CAN SCRATCH IT OUT,how does that make sense.

Obviously i will be fair and give exception to those who were raped,or have an incestuous child,or otherwise have medical conditions or downs syndrome etc..

Lets have the honest,bitter,unpalatable truth for once,abortions promote a careless sexual lifestyle whereby if you get pregnant you can just scratch out that part of your life,that life somehow becomes cheapened,and abortion for all is NOT THE ANSWER...

So the only reason women don't have abortions is because its illegal. And once it is, they'll all be at it. Which is what I said, albeit in satirical form.

Your faith in the gender is commendable.

So nodin,do you think abortion should be for all women in all circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nodin wrote: »
    So the only reason women don't have abortions is because its illegal. And once it is, they'll all be at it.

They said it about condoms.......... they were wrong
    They said it about porn.......... they were wrong
    They said it about the right to vote.......... they were wrong

They say it about cannabis these days.........

They said it about condoms.......... they were wrong
    They said it about porn.......... they were wrong
    They said it about the right to vote.......... they were wrong

They say it about cannabis these days.........

its not as simple as that....they were wrong etc,its a serious issue and will have an impact on population growth something ireland cannot handle right now in a recession,and not just that,it makes sex very non committal,if you get pregnant and it doesnt suit your lifestyle........abortion....if it doesnt suit the relationship......abortion...the guy is too immature......abortion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Lets presume for a min that the sole does indeed exist

Dude of course sole exists
    Proof here
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMJsHqjVac63z9_KtgF5F_1kdvATBtUrzZJ26Vuo-mOSQ5NmgrMA&t=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

if you get pregnant and it doesnt suit your lifestyle........abortion....if it doesnt suit the relationship......abortion...the guy is too immature......abortion

5% left in your Sky planner......abortion.........red sock in with the white wash......abortion.....

So nodin,do you think abortion should be for all women in all circumstances?

You mean "available as an option" presumably - yes indeed I do.

• Advertisement

its not as simple as that....they were wrong etc,its a serious issue and will have an impact on population growth something ireland cannot handle right now in a recession,and not just that,it makes sex very non committal,if you get pregnant and it doesnt suit your lifestyle........abortion....if it doesnt suit the relationship......abortion...the guy is too immature......abortion

Course. You obviously know the wimminz well. They go mad with the abortin.

Advertisement