Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abortion

Options
  • 26-08-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he loose? Would there be a backlash against the church?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

greenpilot wrote: »
    Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he loose? Would there be a backlash against the church?

Hanging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

im always so glad to see another abortion thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

another ref where the verdict is ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I can never decide if im pro death or anti choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he loose?

"Cardinal......... You'll never de fetus."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭greenpilot

mikom wrote: »
    Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he loose?

He said any legislation would be vigorously opposed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not surprised the church are against abortion, it would mean less kids to molest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

mikom wrote: »

I'll give ya that one. Pretty good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

No he won't, its not that The Irish are particularly conservative to remove the right to life of the unborn is always a tough.

the old and the religious will come out in force and it will be kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sheesh wrote: »
    No he won't, its not that The Irish are particularly conservative to remove the right to life of the unborn is always a tough.

the old and the religious will come out in force and it will be kept.

They were defeated with divorce.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Cardinal wants a referendum on abortion. Would he lose?
    No, people in this country still do what they are told. Shame on us, but no one to blame except ourselves. :(
    Would there be a backlash against the church?
    More than there already is? Hopefully there would be, but no, there wont be any larger backlash. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

we must move forwards, not backwards. sideways, not forwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They were defeated with divorce.

Yeah, but too many people in this country would say "I'd never have one myself, but I would support it" When push comes to shove though they'd vote against it because they wouldn't have one themselves. I think it would still lose in referendum, but I would vote for it to be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

i do love a good abortion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Surely we can get rid of these threads somehow before their gestation period in the mind of the OP finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yeah, but too many people in this country would say "I'd never have one myself, but I would support it" When push comes to shove though they'd vote against it because they wouldn't have one themselves. I think it would still lose in referendum, but I would vote for it to be allowed.
    I agree with freedom of choice & on those grounds would vote for abortion.

I too think that it would lose in a referendum, but feel it's only a matter of time before 'old school thinking' dwindles (or literally dies). I foresee abortion being legalised within 25 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

When you look at Jedward bouncing around the place it almost seems criminal that their mother didn't have the option of aborting them.

In fact, I think she should be allowed (possibly forced) to abort them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The church being highly visible in the anti abortion debate would be like having Jeffrey Dahmer as a reference on your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Abortion would almost certainly be legalised these days if a referendum came along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

When you look at Jedward bouncing around the place it almost seems criminal that their mother didn't have the option of aborting them.

In fact, I think she should be allowed (possibly forced) to abort them now.
    That's a fairly pathetic comment.

They're millionaires in their early 20s, are out living life... and what are you? Some hate filled keyboard warrior sitting alone on his Sunday afternoon begrudging others of their success simply because it doesn't align with your tastes. Crawl back under your rock like a good creature there.

With regards to abortion - it wouldn't pass in a referendum in this country. The main voters here - the elderly - haven't a clue about it and would just tow the church's line on it. 49% of this country voted against the introduction of divorce and that's fairly recent. 49% were trying to force bad or even abuse relationships to continue merely because the church said they should. Throw "babies" into the equation and there's no way it'd pass.

We're a very socially stubborn country and one that certainly doesn't like change. For instance, polish people have been here years now and yet it seems the country, for the most part, does not accept them as a part of Irish society. That's a small thing.

Confab wrote: »
    Abortion would almost certainly be legalised these days if a referendum came along.

Depends, I don't think Ireland (or I) would be happy with late term abortions like the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

just in case he gets preggers is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We already had one about 10 years ago which was passed in relation to abortions and the X Case.

Although what I experienced during a rare visit to Sunday Mass a few weeks ago made me sick. Now I understand the churches stance on abortion, but to actually have someone come up on the Alter during the service to actually promote prolife and their proposals is/was preety sickening. For two reasons mainly, the whole aguement is going to have religious undertones taking place in a church, secondly, the church would never allow a pro choice presentation on the alter meaning its a one sided debate.

Now whilst I dont believe in Abortion for the sake of it, I still think if there is a risk to the mother, or if the child is only going to live for a few minutes after birth, or in the event of rape, then the option should be there. These hospices that the group was recommending for such mothers/familes are a bit of joke my self, whilst they may care for thier physical needs, are they going to be able to provide the up to 9 months psychological care before birth, and how ever long it takes afterwards.

Further more, if the suggestion/arguement that life begins at conception rather than implantation, then be prepared for them trying to ban the morning after pill next.

Now if you do get pregnant, and decide you dont want it for lifestyle or financial reasons, well then maybe you should have taken the precautions, in that case then I dont think there should be an option for abortion.

Judging by the reaction that this group got during this presentation, if there are more people out there who feel the same then be prepared as well for a NO answer.

:mad:

irish-stew wrote: »
    Now if you do get pregnant, and decide you dont want it for lifestyle or financial reasons, well then maybe you should have taken the precautions, in that case then I dont think there should be an option for abortion.

Yeah! You should be forced to carry a child you don't want and go through a painful labour to birth it, then be forced to face it every day even though you may not have the physical, emotional or financial means to support it, until a point where it can support itself.

Oh but wait, you've an obligation to it for its first 18 years.

So your one little mistake should be with you for the next 18 years, despite safe alternatives being available.

How f*cking Irish. Although, perhaps I should have left this post alone when it was made by someone who went to a Catholic mass and expected something other than preachy bullsh*te.

Irish-stew,

A group attending mass - literally preaching to the converted - would not be representative of the populace as a whole. Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

we must move forwards, not backwards. sideways, not forwards...

and twirling, twirling twirling towards freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

PieForPi wrote: »
    That's a fairly pathetic comment.

They're millionaires in their early 20s, are out living life... and what are you? Some hate filled keyboard warrior sitting alone on his Sunday afternoon begrudging others of their success simply because it doesn't align with your tastes. Crawl back under your rock like a good creature there.

Are you new to the "After Hours" forum? It was a typical tongue in cheek comment, the likes of which is made in nearly every thread. Not that I need to justify it to you.
    And No, I'm not hate filled. I don't even begrudge them. I just don't like them and find them annoying. I don't SERIOUSLY think they should be aborted. :rolleyes:

Are you new to the "After Hours" forum? It was a typical tongue in cheek comment, the likes of which is made in nearly every thread. Not that I need to justify it to you.

Well, you obviously feel like you need to inside because you just did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

PieForPi wrote: »
    Yeah! You should be forced to carry a child you don't want and go through a painful labour to birth it, then be forced to face it every day even though you may not have the physical, emotional or financial means to support it, until a point where it can support itself.

Oh but wait, you've an obligation to it for its first 18 years.

So your one little mistake should be with you for the next 18 years, despite safe alternatives being available.

How f*cking Irish. Although, perhaps I should have left this post alone when it was made by someone who went to a Catholic mass and expected something other than preachy bullsh*te.

Did you read all of my post? Prehaps you should again. This group was proposing that even if there was a risk to the mother, or if the child had no chance of survival she should be forced to go through with it. In those cases, the choice of abortion should be there.

In relation to preventing pregnancy there are plenty of options, the pill, morning after, condoms, the coil, etc etc etc, if your not using one of these, then prehaps you should consider restrant.

And yes, I did expect preachy bullsh!t, but not for the alter to be used a political platform. It just shows there will never be a seperation of church and state, dispite what our constitution will lead us to belive.
    smcgiff wrote:
    Irish-stew,

A group attending mass - literally preaching to the converted - would not be representative of the populace as a whole. Thankfully.

You would like the think, although the dominance of the Irish Church is still pretty strong, and does not allow for an informed debate.

Advertisement