Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traction Group

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Karsini wrote: »
    Oops, I'm on my way up! Better get off at Newry and turn back.

Sorry about that. See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Iolaire wrote: »
    Sorry about that. See attached.

Looks like a suitable location for a sailing gala. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Railway Worker

Iolaire wrote: »
    UPDATE

The ITG regret to announce that today's diesel gala has been cancelled. An early morning track inspection has revealed water levels to have risen over night and both lines are now impassable.

Please accept our most sincere apologies.

Issued on behalf of the ITG

What the hell is this then in the youtube clip sailing boats no its a train , thanks alot guys i was shocked to see this happening after heading up north early this morning to get told no train but a few hours later this happens and better still a train managed to get out to the cutting BLOODY JOKE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Road12

R-Worker : i landed at 0845 from london and got a txt the minute i went through the security...shocked that nobody sent a text out to say that it was running a bit even if it was only cab rides in the station...obv they musnt care bout their railway then!

Road12 wrote: »
    R-Worker : i landed at 0845 from london and got a txt the minute i went through the security...shocked that nobody sent a text out to say that it was running a bit even if it was only cab rides in the station...obv they musnt care bout their railway then!

i tell you this road12 they made a fool out of everyone today money wasted all round for all that made travel plans to get to dcdr not impressed at all i want answers why they ran trains but yet put out by text and on boards like this everything was cancelled

i want a public answer to it not some behind the scene reply they need to be open to all that got shafted today :mad:

• Advertisement

i dont think the itg care about irish cranks anymore really...they wont run anymore tours simply because they cant get on with the rpsi in relation to hiring coaches... Sad really to think what the place has come to...More so -they've got a few engines in some field near Ennis! RIP ITG says I

i dont think the itg care about irish cranks anymore really...they wont run anymore tours simply because they cant get on with the rpsi in relation to hiring coaches... Sad really to think what the place has come to...More so -they've got a few engines in some field near Ennis! RIP ITG says I

i want to know who made the decision to run trains after all today do the itg own dcdr or was it a dcdr matter or what i am out of pocket here , i can understand if it was all cancelled it was stated on the net it was but someone or persons back tracked and shafted alot of people i want reasons for it and not silly replys ???????????

i want to know who made the decision to run trains after all today do the itg own dcdr or was it a dcdr matter or what i am out of pocket here , i can understand if it was all cancelled it was stated on the net it was but someone or persons back tracked and shafted alot of people i want reasons for it and not silly replys ???????????

I think your being very over the top to be fair. These guys put alot of hard work into these sort of things

I think your being very over the top to be fair. These guys put alot of hard work into these sort of things

do you really think so , explain to me how i am being over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

At the time of writing both lines were impassable, it did not look possible to run anything. By the afternoon a number of people had turned up who had not seen the notification here or elsewhere, some travelling some considerable distance, and the crews decided to try and do "something" for them, albeit in a very restricted way. Water also subsided and two runs on the railbus could - just about - run safely out to Magnus's Halt (but no further, i.e. not out to Inch), with water still at least an inch over the rails. These were very much decisions made on the ground at the time, and there was no indication at the time the notification went out that this would be possible. We're just glad we were able to do something for those visitors.

• Advertisement

Is there any plans to hold another gala in the near future when the flooding wont be there?

At the time of writing both lines were impassable, it did not look possible to run anything. By the afternoon a number of people had turned up who had not seen the notification here or elsewhere, some travelling some considerable distance, and the crews decided to try and do "something" for them, albeit in a very restricted way. Water also subsided and two runs on the railbus could - just about - run safely out to Magnus's Halt (but no further, i.e. not out to Inch), with water still at least an inch over the rails. These were very much decisions made on the ground at the time, and there was no indication at the time the notification went out that this would be possible. We're just glad we were able to do something for those visitors.

are you allowed to run trains over rails covered in water ????

Is there any plans to hold another gala in the near future when the flooding wont be there?

Too early to tell, if the ITG want to reschedule I'm sure we'll be happy to accommodate them.

are you allowed to run trains over rails covered in water ????

Diesel hydraulics, maybe. Diesel electrics, absolutely not, you'd short out the traction motors.

Karsini wrote: »
    Diesel hydraulics, maybe. Diesel electrics, absolutely not, you'd short out the traction motors.

from a health and safety view i wouldn't think it would be allowed regardless of the traction

As far as I know the regs are as follows:

Water up to 2" below the top of the railhead = Normal speed

Water 2" below the railhead to 4" above the railhead = 5mph

Water above 4" above railhead = stop.

If the water is moving at any rate the trains are stopped, regardless of depth, until it can be determined that the ballast isnt being dislodged by the water.

Our south line has been substantially raised, whereas our North line has not, which was at least a foot underwater. The back line of the triangle was similarly affected. There was no appreciable flow of water, and the ballast formation could be seen on the south line in the areas affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

What a shame nature got the upper hand of things yesterday , i got the news near Drogheda on my travels up from Wicklow .The thing that really bothered me was some trains did run when it was said the whole thing got cancelled.

Would the operations team care to explain things better to us that never got a chance to travel on the trains yesterday , why was there no quick message put on the interent to say that things could go ahead by the afternoon, i know it was done to give the lads that did turn up something to enjoy but theres a lot that of us that took what message was put on the internet that no trains to run and decided to head home again and lost out

Very unfair operations

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ard_mhacha

DannyGrey wrote: »
    What a shame nature got the upper hand of things yesterday , i got the news near Drogheda on my travels up from Wicklow .The thing that really bothered me was some trains did run when it was said the whole thing got cancelled.

Would the operations team care to explain things better to us that never got a chance to travel on the trains yesterday , why was there no quick message put on the interent to say that things could go ahead by the afternoon, i know it was done to give the lads that did turn up something to enjoy but theres a lot that of us that took what message was put on the internet that no trains to run and decided to head home again and lost out

Very unfair operations
    The Irish Traction Group diesel gala was cancelled by the Irish Traction Group, not the Downpatrick and County Down Railway. Anyone who had pre-booked had booked with the Irish Traction Group, not the DCDR.

When approached to see if we were a) able to do something and b) willing to do something for a group of people who were already at the railway at a few minutes notice, DCDR obliged, as the circumstances to operate an extremely limited service had arisen.

It was a charter day, so it was NOT the place of the DCDR to announce anything on the internet without first being asked to do so by the ITG. DCDR posted two messages regarding the cancellation at the request of the Irish Traction Group before the time of the scheduled event. DCDR was not asked to post a message on behalf of the Irish Traction Group about a limited service at ten minutes notice, so DCDR did not do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could the leader (president / chairman / head driver / whatever) of each group contact me?

Who are these people in the real world? No need to link real world names to on-line personas just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Victor wrote: »
    Could the leader (president / chairman / head driver / whatever) of each group contact me?

Who are these people in the real world? No need to link real world names to on-line personas just yet.

The ITG Im sure will be delighted to get in contact as its the first time in many years someone has really cared about them

• Advertisement

Folks, behave. Less of the snarkiness from a few people please

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I didn't miss much, couldnd attend due to work comittments hope to attend the next event.

Can I ask why you want them to contact you?? Not as if this site is an official news source for either group

Can I ask why you want them to contact you?? Not as if this site is an official news source for either group

To have 'official' accounts from which groups can post.

To have 'official' accounts from which groups can post.

Do you not think their own websites/twitter accounts are enough?

Do you not think their own websites/twitter accounts are enough?
    It is meant as an extra communication avenue, not a replacement.

It is meant as an extra communication avenue, not a replacement.

Perhaps, but only if they see here as a valued outlet. I dont think so given people can comment publically and leave positive and negative feedback

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Irish Traction Group

Following a useful suggestion from Victor, for which much thanks, this username has been set up to provide official information on behalf of the Irish Traction Group.

It will not be used to engage in general debates or discussions.

Due to flooding last week, it was not possible to run the advertised locomotives last Saturday for the ITG Diesel Gala. We are very disappointed that this should have happened, but the situation was obviously beyond of our control. Various folk, including some with children, did not see the web warnings, and unknowingly turned up at Downpatrick. In conjunction with DCDR, we made an effort to give them some travel, although this was but a small fraction of what they had come expecting.

Following discussion with DCDR, it has been decided to re-schedule the event to Sunday 18th November 2012, weather permitting. Cost of train ticket is £7 or €10 on the day. Trains will run from about 12:00 to 16:00. A coach will run from Dublin to Downpatrick on the day at a cost of €15 or £11. In order to book a seat on the bus, please e-mail either aidkehoe@iol.ie (Ireland) or peterjones.irishtractiongroup@virgin.net (UK). It is important that advanced bookings are made for the bus to ensure a seat is available. The bus will depart Red Cow Luas Car Park at 08:45, Heuston 09:00, Connolly 09:15 and Dublin Airport Coach Park 09:45. The coach will set down at the same stops returning in the evening.

Ken Manto, ITG

The Irish Traction Group is registered as a Charity in England & Wales. Charity Reference No. 1000382.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so why do they get a user name but unlike other companies not have to verify it and pay for the privilege?

Especially considering:
    It will not be used to engage in general debates or discussions.

so it's an account purely setup to advertise?!? that's strictly against boards charter, not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Cookie Monster,

I would suggest that it's practical. If a username posts in their own name, how is any other user to know that what they say is true/valid/accurately reflects a group's view? Having an official username should help site users in that they can rely on what's being said is correct. They may not like what they see, but that's a different argument.

If the official username indulges in debate, then will the moderator not end up being caught between a rock and a hard place? Some of the "debates" on Boards.ie get distinctly tasty. If the official username gets caught up in such things, the poor old moderator is going to be caught between not wanting to ban an official username and taking action if they think a line has been crossed. I think a separation eases the moderators' job and, after all, they have a hard enough job from what I see, and the site relies on their ongoing work.

It should also be borne in mind that those who may post officially are also highly likely to comment on their own behalf. I don't think discussion is going to be lessened by any such username usage.

Advertisement