Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traction Group

Options

Comments

I know I keep saying it but I must get back up that way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Unlikely... given most of our punters are from the local area. Irish Rail trains never made it that far into Northern Ireland!! ;)

The orange is somewhat Iconic, the class lasted 50 years in service around most of the island, the look far more interesting than the flat sided rounded A class, and maybe are even a bit compact and dainty compared to the bigger locos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Is it possible to get a spin in 146 if you go up there...or even to drive her??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ard_mhacha

They had the chance to formally sign over A39 to the RPSI several years ago but baulked at the idea as they would no longer own it. While it is now shuffling up and down at the DCDR, it could have been blasting around the network at speed. No disrespect to the DCDR is intended or implied, its only a small line but everyone there does a fantastic job, if I lived closer I would volunteer
    Blasting around the network at speed? Upon what evidence do you base that assumption?

As many miles as the Hunslets did at speed on the main line (one crawling from Whitehead to Cultra, the other cut up)?

ITG locomotives have travelled in excess of 1200 miles at DCDR this year. That is many, many times more than any preserved diesel locomotives have ever travelled after going in the gates at Whitehead. Not bad for "only a small line!"

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

ard_mhacha wrote: »

ITG locomotives have travelled in excess of 1200 miles at DCDR this year. That is many, many times more than any preserved diesel locomotives have ever travelled after going in the gates at Whitehead. Not bad for "only a small line!"

Where did I say anything negative about the DCDR? Show me please

Dont forget when the ITG wanted 226 to go there first they were refused as the directors of the line (at the time, 1992) still saw it as a 'steam' railway. Thankfully common sense has prevailed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ard_mhacha

ard_mhacha wrote: »

Where did I say anything negative about the DCDR? Show me please

Dont forget when the ITG wanted 226 to go there first they were refused as the directors of the line (at the time, 1992) still saw it as a 'steam' railway. Thankfully common sense has prevailed
    Where did I state that you said anything negative about DCDR? Show me please. All I did was state that the mileage the ITG locos have done there is far in excess of what any preserved diesel locos have done at Whitehead and that that isn't bad for what you called a "small railway."

Carefully read what I wrote again. Obviously you didn't wish to respond to my questions relating to RPSI and preserved diesel traction. There was no need to try and make it look as if I was making a point that I clearly wasn't making.

Is it possible to get a spin in 146 if you go up there...or even to drive her??

They were offering driving courses in A39 or 146 last summer but they stopped after the accident. They haven't restarted as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

Karsini wrote: »
    They were offering driving courses in A39 or 146 last summer but they stopped after the accident. They haven't restarted as of yet.

You can buy a Footplate Pass to ride in the cab of the diesels (£20 on day of travel and sign an indemnity form). Actual driving course haven't restarted mainly due to the new trackworks which mean for instance the South Line isn't available to run them on. Hopefully they'll be back next year, steam and diesel. Watch the website and facebook!

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Pete Jones

The Irish Traction Group proudly presents

THE ITG DIESEL GALA

Saturday 20th October 2012

The Irish Traction Group (ITG), with the kind co-operationof the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway, has organised a diesel gala on Saturday 20th October 2012 at the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway, Downpatrick, Co. Down, Northern Ireland.

This is to mark the 50th anniversary of the construction ofthe Group’s preserved 141 (B) class locomotive No. 146, and its recent returnto service after extensive cab restoration. No. 146 is now the only 141 classlocomotive which can be enjoyed working passenger trains. It is also 50 yearssince the Deutz G611 class locomotives entered service, and the ITG's own Deutzlocomotives Nos. G611 and G617 are intended to feature. 001 (A) classlocomotive No. A39 will also hopefully be making an appearance, at a mere 56years young! All locomotives are subject to availability on the day.

Services will commence at around 12:00, and will operate until around 16:00. Services will operate from Downpatrickto Inch Abbey and also to Magnus’ Grave.

Day Rover tickets will be available on the day at Downpatrick for £7 or €10.Passengers will be expected to make their own way to Downpatrick if taking thisoption.

In addition, the ITG is running a special connecting coach service from DublinRed Cow Luas Stop (dep. 08:45), Dublin Connolly Luas Stop (dep. 09:15) and Dublin Airport Coach Park(dep. 09:45) to Downpatrick to connect with the event. The connectingcoach service will depart Downpatrick at approximately 16:30, setting down at Dublin AirportCoach Park (arr. 18:45 approx.), Dublin Connolly Luas Stop (arr. 19:15 approx.) and Dublin Red Cow LuasStop (arr. 19:45 approx.).

The cost of the return coach connection from Dublin (i.e. the Downpatrick day roverticket is additional) will be £11 or €15, payable on the day. If you areinterested in using the connecting coach, you must advise the ITG in advance by telephone or by e-mail, asplaces are clearly limited. If you don't book, you could find yourself turningup for a bus which has no place for you!

The ITG may also run a connecting coach service fromLimerick Roxboro Shopping Centre (dep. 06:30), Portlaoise M7 interchange (dep. 07:45) and Toghers M7 interchange (dep. 08:15) depending on demand. The price of areturn coach ticket from Limerick would be €30, Portlaoise €25 and Toghers €20. If you areinterested, you must register your interest before the end of September 2012,so that the feasibility of this option can be assessed.

For further information please contact:

Aidan Kehoe (Ireland)

E-mail: aidkehoe@iol.ie

Telephone: 059 9152011 (18:30 to 21:00 Monday to Friday)

Peter Jones (Great Britain)

E-mail: peterjones.irishtractiongroup@virgin.net

Telephone: 07713 159869 (18:00 to 21:00Monday to Friday).

The Irish Traction Group is registered as a Charity in England & Wales.
    CharityReference No. 1000382.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

Now wouldn't it be common sense for the RPSI to run a diesel tour from Whitehead on Sunday 21st October 2012, using a 111 to Dublin then swapping for an 071 for a spin out to Mullingar or Arklow then back north with the 111....A perfect way for both societies to make funds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Where did the new ITG thread go ? :confused:

Same place the ITG should have gone a long time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why? Here's my membership card bet despite your claims you can't produce your one.

cobh%2B003.JPG

According to the ban list he was sitebanned for spamming.

Why ? I welcome any rail enthusiast group posting here and hope they do.

Karsini wrote: »
    According to the ban list he was sitebanned for spamming.

RPSI have announced trips here and ITG were just doing the same ??? - or am I missing something. How was he spamming ?

If it was genuinely posted by Pete Jones it was probably because he is English - remember burn everything English but their coal.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RPSI have announced trips here and ITG were just doing the same ??? - or am I missing something. How was he spamming ?

I'd reckon it was because it looked like a spam type posting. Boards have a few verified accounts from company's where they can make announcements and answer some customer queries. I don't think the RPSI have announced tours here. Maybe members may have, perhaps, but not in any official capacity or role.

I'd reckon it was because it looked like a spam type posting. Boards have a few verified accounts from company's where they can make announcements and answer some customer queries. I don't think the RPSI have announced tours here. Maybe members may have, perhaps, but not in any official capacity or role.

I would have thought there was a distinction to be made between a company per se and a railway enthusiast association. Perhaps Victor can throw some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I think that on pretty much every forum, if your one and only post is to advertise something it just automatically gets considered as spam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

I think that on pretty much every forum, if your one and only post is to advertise something it just automatically gets considered as spam.

I think its totally unfair to remove Peter Jones post at the end of the day how else will non members of the ITG get to hear about things other than these kind of forums

What i would like to ask is why did the ITG not put the same message on their own website i found that a bit strange

DannyGrey wrote: »
    I think its totally unfair to remove Peter Jones post at the end of the day how else will non members of the ITG get to hear about things other than these kind of forums

What i would like to ask is why did the ITG not put the same message on their own website i found that a bit strange

I appreciate what you are saying but it was a one off post and from a new account. Posts like that on fora tent to be frowned upon so I'd understand from that end of it if it was deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

An admin deleted it as spam. It is now inserted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I would have thought there was a distinction to be made between a company per se and a railway enthusiast association. Perhaps Victor can throw some light on it.

why should the ITG or RPSI get free advertising from boards, when no one else does? Ads are ads regardless of what they're for and shouldn't be tolerated without verification and payment for it.

why should the ITG or RPSI get free advertising from boards, when no one else does? Ads are ads regardless of what they're for and shouldn't be tolerated without verification and payment for it.

I'll leave that one for boards to decide, my query was basically why the thread had disappeared, and that has been answered adequately.

Why? Here's my membership card bet despite your claims you can't produce your one.

cobh%2B003.JPG

Produce your current one :pac:

I'm an ex.railway enthusiast so why should I have a current membership card?

I'm an ex.railway enthusiast so why should I have a current memberhship card?

Does that mean you used to be an enthusiast, you currently enthuse over ex railways or you have a grá for railways that your ex worked on? :D

I'm an ex.railway enthusiast so why should I have a current memberhship card?

Just means your a bitter begrudger and have zero right to comment

• Advertisement

Just means your a bitter begrudger and have zero right to comment

You're so full of crap. :p

Advertisement