Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traction Group

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Temp101 wrote: »
    Cookie Monster,

I would suggest that it's practical. If a username posts in their own name, how is any other user to know that what they say is true/valid/accurately reflects a group's view? Having an official username should help site users in that they can rely on what's being said is correct. They may not like what they see, but that's a different argument.

If the official username indulges in debate, then will the moderator not end up being caught between a rock and a hard place? Some of the "debates" on Boards.ie get distinctly tasty. If the official username gets caught up in such things, the poor old moderator is going to be caught between not wanting to ban an official username and taking action if they think a line has been crossed. I think a separation eases the moderators' job and, after all, they have a hard enough job from what I see, and the site relies on their ongoing work.

It should also be borne in mind that those who may post officially are also highly likely to comment on their own behalf. I don't think discussion is going to be lessened by any such username usage.

Have you visited here? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126578 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

For the record, I am an ITG member.
    Do I think that colours my opinion as previously expressed? I don't think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Road12

I remember some debate about lineside at downpatrick for the gala day -- found this on youtube * Most interesting at 1:03 when the flagman waves violently to get what i assume is a child of the track! health & safety? some folk get to big for there own boots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAy9CNJhQTY&feature=fvwrel

And more -

http://youtu.be/_dj6eq7P-h8?t=1m39s

Surely this shunter "Norman" as the chap refers to him seconds before is conducting an illegal practice with his shunting.orange vest???..Watch how he signals to the train to proceed after doing the points...my my my

Road12 wrote: »
    I remember some debate about lineside at downpatrick for the gala day -- found this on youtube * Most interesting at 1:03 when the flagman waves violently to get what i assume is a child of the track! health & safety? some folk get to big for there own boots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAy9CNJhQTY&feature=fvwrel

And more -

http://youtu.be/_dj6eq7P-h8?t=1m39s

Surely this shunter "Norman" as the chap refers to him seconds before is conducting an illegal practice with his shunting.orange vest???..Watch how he signals to the train to proceed after doing the points...my my my

What point are you trying to make? Since you describe yourself as a DCDR volunteer you're not doing a very good PR job for them.

Road 12 is somewhat 'conflicted' - here he is on the 20/10/2012 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81346368&postcount=126

and yet here is earlier today: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81408113&postcount=138 and since I started this post DCDR has been altered to RPSI . What gives - play fair! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

so why do they get a user name but unlike other companies not have to verify it and pay for the privilege?

Especially considering:

so it's an account purely setup to advertise?!? that's strictly against boards charter, not impressed.

In fairness the ITG isn't a commercial organisation; it's a voluntary run group aiming to preserve heritage locomotives, something I'd assume most members of this particular subforum would be in support of?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Road12 wrote: »

It looks like a bog standard shunting manoeuvre to me. I've even seen something similar take place on an Iarnrod Eireann route on a railtour within the past five years. What would you suggest the shunter do?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Following discussion with DCDR, it has been decided to re-schedule the event to Sunday 18th November 2012, weather permitting. Cost of train ticket is £7 or €10 on the day.

Ken Manto, ITG

The Irish Traction Group is registered as a Charity in England & Wales. Charity Reference No. 1000382.
    Lovely!! Looking forward to that, and maybe weather will be dryer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Road12

Hungerford wrote: »
    It looks like a bog standard shunting manoeuvre to me. I've even seen something similar take place on an Iarnrod Eireann route on a railtour within the past five years. What would you suggest the shunter do?

its illegal end of story, no hi vis vest , not guiding the train back properly , driver has limited visiblity of the shunting movement - obviously you know very little about shunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

I agree with Cyberbeagle.

There are a number of accounts on this thread which exhibit an identical modus operandi. The user has a clear and non-constructive agenda which doesn't warrant engagement. I sure everyone here knows the accounts I'm talking of and the person behind them all.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the true enthusiasts are already looking forward to 18th November. As a member of the ITG, I, like all those who had planned to attend, was hugely disappointed about the 20th but hopefully we will not fall victim to the weather again and we can provide a good day out. It's a small number of volunteers (in cooperation with those of DCDR) who plan and run this event, and I'm sure I speak for us all in saying the genuine support we receive is greatly appreciated and from a personal perspective, it's why I keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Irish Traction Group

In order to facilitate updates in future, we have also set up an ITG twitter account (standing in the cold, with an unreliable signal, trying to type out messages for various fora is not recommended). For the social media fans out there, you can follow this @The_ITG
    Hopefully we won't need it but it's a quick way to spread information should it be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Railway Worker

Iolaire wrote: »
    I agree with Cyberbeagle.

There are a number of accounts on this thread which exhibit an identical modus operandi. The user has a clear and non-constructive agenda which doesn't warrant engagement. I sure everyone here knows the accounts I'm talking of and the person behind them all.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the true enthusiasts are already looking forward to 18th November. As a member of the ITG, I, like all those who had planned to attend, was hugely disappointed about the 20th but hopefully we will not fall victim to the weather again and we can provide a good day out. It's a small number of volunteers (in cooperation with those of DCDR) who plan and run this event, and I'm sure I speak for us all in saying the genuine support we receive is greatly appreciated and from a personal perspective, it's why I keep doing it.

from today onwards i will stop using railway worker ,and use ( Iolaire ) from now on, so Iolaire is railway workers under cover name it is getting withdrawn from service

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

medium?v=mpbl-1
    Ekkkkk its a very strange irony and very ironic, but Im probably guilty of the troll joining boards but my reaction many months ago in this thread message 29 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056673996&page=2 I don't even know this person, who they are or what they look like, but Im tolded well known in the trainspotting fraternity, little did I know what was to be unlashed, I only know 1 thing, this person doesn't ''playfair'' ooppps Iv just bit my tongue.
    That said, looking forward to 18th November, Iv never been to Downpatrick before, I have that day free, hope weather is good, too much time is wasted on infighting, whoever wants to fight just go off to a pub and leave the rest of us alone.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Ekkkkk its a very strange irony and very ironic, but Im probably guilty of the troll joining boards but my reaction many months ago in this thread message 29 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056673996&page=2 I don't even know this person, who they are or what they look like, but Im tolded well known in the trainspotting fraternity, little did I know what was to be unlashed, I only know 1 thing, this person doesn't ''playfair'' ooppps Iv just bit my tongue.
    That said, looking forward to 18th November, Iv never been to Downpatrick before, I have that day free, hope weather is good, too much time is wasted on infighting, whoever wants to fight just go off to a pub and leave the rest of us alone.

all i can say lads is you have it wrong i am not the person named but what i can say is i do work in control for a railway company in northern ireland that will not be hard to guess which company also a member of the itg rpsi dcdr

i am not a troll either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

all i can say lads is you have it wrong i am not the person named but what i can say is i do work in control for a railway company in northern ireland also meber of the itg rpsi dcdr

i am not a troll either

So if you work in control for NIR, I can ask the DCDR members that also work for NIR to say that they know you to be kosher?

So if you work in control for NIR, I can ask the DCDR members that also work for NIR to say that they know you to be kosher?

yes that no problem as i said i am a member of the 3 groups but i am not a working member, spend enough hours around the railway everday , i contribute to them all by being a paided member.

yes that no problem as i said i am a member of the 3 groups but i am not a working member, spend enough hours around the railway everday , i contribute to them all by being a paided member.

PM me and I'll verify your identity :)

DannyGrey wrote: »
    Can i ask you Losty Dublin who you really are .It would seem to me that Railway Worker cant reply he has been banned .

The rules on here are very one sided any right thinking person would stay clear of the transprot section full of headers

If he is banned then it's been done in the last hour; his account hasn't any mention of same. If he wants, I'm more than willing to give him a chance and see if he can cash the cheque his arse has written

In short, I'm a working member of the RPSI in Dublin and the DCDR so I'd know who's who on the floor of each group. Some posters on here know me personally as well :)

Lets keep this thread on topic, I've posted a thread about the issues in Feedback. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790582

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DannyGrey wrote: »
    Can i ask you Losty Dublin who you really are .It would seem to me that Railway Worker cant reply he has been banned .
    Really? Why do you think this?

Thread tidied-up. Let me know if there is anything else that needs moving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement