Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

People say belgrove is where all first years go but thats not really true. They do be all over the place. Some in Merville and some in Glenomena. Plus belgrove is a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭KTBFFH

Neeson wrote: »
    People say belgrove is where all first years go but thats not really true. They do be all over the place. Some in Merville and some in Glenomena. Plus belgrove is a kip!
    So which would you recommend? Or what is good/bad about each place?

KTBFFH wrote: »
    So which would you recommend? Or what is good/bad about each place?

Belgrove. In some parts you have to share a room. And share a toilet which can be messy. Think it may have an oven though.

Merville. Depending on which part of Merville you get. One part has a very narrow kitchen. The other one has a more oprn space kitchen. Have to squeeze past other people in the narrow one. Also share toilets.

Glenomena/Roebuck. Bigger kitchen. 2 fridges. No oven though, just microwave and 4 jobs. You get your own toilet though.

Belgrove. In some parts you have to share a room. And share a toilet which can be messy. Think it may have an oven though.

Merville. Depending on which part of Merville you get. One part has a very narrow kitchen. The other one has a more oprn space kitchen. Have to squeeze past other people in the narrow one. Also share toilets.

Glenomena/Roebuck. Bigger kitchen. 2 fridges. No oven though, just microwave and 4 jobs. You get your own toilet though.

hmmm. Sounds like a tough choice. Is there a big difference in price? And are any of them closer to college/better craic...especially for a 1st year! :) or is everything fairly even?
    Thanks for all the help btw!

KTBFFH wrote: »
    ]
    hmmm. Sounds like a tough choice. Is there a big difference in price? And are any of them closer to college/better craic...especially for a 1st year! :) or is everything fairly even?
    Thanks for all the help btw!

Not sure on the prices. I think it says when your booking them anyway sure. Belgrove would be the cheapest. Might be 1000€ or so in differences.

Belgrove is near the buildings but Merville/Glenomena/Roebuck are only a minute or twos walk away. Some go on about how great belgrove is for first years. Not sure whether that's just seniors trying to get incoming students to take the crappy rooms or what. I've seen and been in belgrove and I wouldn't want to be living there for 8 months.

Anyway I'd say it's even enough. No ones knows who they'll be living with. It's just random. There is a mixture of all years throughout the accommodation in campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Quick question:
    In TCD halls, each apartment is single sex (either 6 male or 6 female for apartment) and the dorm style are the same (One block male, one block female).

Is this the same in UCD?

jos360 wrote: »
    Quick question:
    In TCD halls, each apartment is single sex (either 6 male or 6 female for apartment) and the dorm style are the same (One block male, one block female).

Is this the same in UCD?

No. It says when you book it whether its mixed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Hey guys,
    might be starting med in UCD next month so was just wondering which accommodation is better? I've narrowed it down to Glenomena, Proby and Roebuck Hall :D would LOVE to have an oven in the apartment so i dont starve to death :D

I think belgrove is the place with the oven. Check the descriptions on the website .

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

I think belgrove is the place with the oven. Check the descriptions on the website .

but ...but...but i dont like belgrove? :P :D

• Advertisement

but ...but...but i dont like belgrove? :P :D

How do you know? Have you been in it?

(yes, it is a dump though)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Hey guys,
    might be starting med in UCD next month so was just wondering which accommodation is better? I've narrowed it down to Glenomena, Proby and Roebuck Hall :D would LOVE to have an oven in the apartment so i dont starve to death :D

Going med in UCD this year as well. Share with me, I'll be bringing a portable oven :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

hey guys, just accepted my place in UCD, what do i do now in relation to accomodation? I am already very high up on the priority list, do i now have to contact UCD? or do they contact me?

thanks very much for anyone who can answer this!

IslandKid wrote: »
    hey guys, just accepted my place in UCD, what do i do now in relation to accomodation? I am already very high up on the priority list, do i now have to contact UCD? or do they contact me?

I am in the same situation. The UCD website doesn't explain it that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wemsie

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain they email you within 24 hours of accepting your course.
    Congratulations btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

After some frantic searching for information i found a step-by-step guide about halfway down this page that explains the procedure

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/apply/cao/

Just in case anyone is confused on UCD's accommodation policy, I took this off their website.
    ''Once the CAO offers are made in August students who receive an offer of a place in UCD must accept this offer before they can proceed with their accommodation booking.
    Once the CAO inform UCD that they have accepted their place (2 days after the student has accepted their CAO offer) UCD residences will email the student inviting them to proceed and book a room. The offer emails will be sent at 16.00 each day during this phase of the booking process.
    They will have a window of 24 hours to accept and finalise their room booking. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they check their email regularly during this period as offers are only valid for 24hrs. Once the offer expires a student would have to rejoin the waitlist at the end.''
    Link:http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/CAO%20Step%20by%20Step%20Guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CM182

I'm in the 1800's on the waiting list for campus accommodation. Any hope for me or should I start looking elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

CM182 wrote: »
    I'm in the 1800's on the waiting list for campus accommodation. Any hope for me or should I start looking elsewhere?

Hope there's hope, I'm in the 3000's :mad:
    Don't know what to think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

from what ive read in other threads you have a decent chance. remember there are 5 or 6 different residence houses, and that many applicants just apply for the criac (maybe they can convince their parents to allow them to sty on campus) many apply and won't get offered a place in UCD, many apply and instead accept a different offer (e.g level 7) or they decide to repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Kristofferson

Which houses/apartments are renovated in the Merville accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Which houses/apartments are renovated in the Merville accommodation?

As far as i know its the last two houses (26?) that werent renovated last year, but i was up there during the summer and they seemed to be getting work done on them!

The new Merville is pretty nice and tbh the old isnt that bad at all! Think anywhere in Merville is a safe bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnaMcA

I'm looking for accommodation too! Interested if we could find somewhere? I am going into do the Arts too.
    Anna-Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

hi all!
    im in 4th year midwifery and need accomodation asap! looking for one room near ucd! i have a budget of around 500 euro! please let me know if u no of anywhere or anyone i could share with! thanks (female) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seang0

Hey guys,

Im looking for people going into first year in UCD to share a house with! Anyone who's friendly and easy going pm me and we can start a search :)

Kate
    Im still waiting for campus accommodation but its very unlikely i'll get it.
    if i dont (ill know by the 24th) ill be looking for people to share with for about 400-500 euro a month.
    If thats your price range then contact me.
    p.s ive gotta be able to move in before the the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jt3

I'm also a 1st year looking for accomodation and wondering does any1 have a spare room or need someone to share a house r something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jt3

does any1 know if i have a chance of getting campus when I'm 1354 on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

Jt3 wrote: »
    does any1 know if i have a chance of getting campus when I'm 1354 on the list?

Saw this on the UCD website :

'As the ranking system is open to all CAO students it is our experience that even students with a ranking of over 3,000 on the list can get an offer of accommodation.'

I hope it's true because I'm number 2316 on the Junior waiting list :p

Anyway, went to ckeck on the SU website and they all seem to say the same thing : under 3000 = safe

fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

I put myself on the waiting list in May but I don't remember where I am. Is there a way I can check what number I am?

• Advertisement

I think it says on the SIS website under student services/accommodation.

Advertisement