Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Try use the qwerty, it's way better.

Some people just refuse to even try. My gf is one of them. She just refuses to use qwerty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have tried it, I don't like it and I tend to make more mistakes when I am using the Qwerty keyboard. We are all different.

I can't use the stock one because with the new firmware, it won't let me add new words to the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Shlippery wrote: »
    Any ideas if Rooting would disable vibration somehow, just ran the diagnostics on my phone, *#0*# thing..and nothing on the vibration test. It's been like that a while now...phones perfect aside from not vibrating for anything..only noticed it recently, and most recent adjustment to my phone was rooting it..suprisingly irritating having a phone that doesn't vibrate, just loud or silent!

im rooted and its fine.
    id be kinda concerned if its not working tbh. cud be after coming loose or something i guess..
    how did you root? rooting wud give things the ability to go around the system and disable vibrate i guess alright

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I use Smart Keypad Pro myself for the past year or so and love it tbh. Not sure how it compares with Swift Key but I wouldn't be paying again for a new keyboard when the one I have does the trick. I find that it learns my words, learns how often I use one particular word, less chance of mistakes (I disabled having the full stop and comma on the keyboard) and its good at making suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

SwiftKey is the same. I often write sentences just using the predictions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

anyone else get an 8mb firmware upgrade this morning?

smaller than the sudden death fix

said it added something.... but i can't see any change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

danniemcq wrote: »
    anyone else get an 8mb firmware upgrade this morning?

smaller than the sudden death fix

said it added something.... but i can't see any change
    yes got same on three just now. not sure what added

irishchris wrote: »
    yes got same on three just now. not sure what added

i really gotta remember to check versions i have before updating! someone in the GS3 sudden death thread said that he got an update this morning too on o2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Got mine this morning on Vodafone...not sure what it was for...just updated though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Just dl'd there, haven't installed it yet. It doesn't actually say what the added features are....

• Advertisement

yeah it just showed on mine something about something being added but no actual names of what.

hmmm

The build number and kernel versions have changed. That's about all I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

My S3 suffered from Sudden Death, and I got it back from repairs last Thursday.

I noticed that it had a old version of software on it (dating back to last October, so f**k knows what the repair centre were up to not putting the latest version on it before sending it back).

So I called Samsung Tech Support about it, and they told me it should update to 4.1.2 software with the ELLA tag as a "big" update, and then he said that there will be another smaller update to go with that "that you won't really notice at all".

So my guess is that the latest little software update that you are getting is related to the software "fix" for SDS and it's not really something that the user will see any difference with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just got an update too. Everythig looks the same and 3g still working...
    On three.

I noticed that it had a old version of software on it (dating back to last October, so f**k knows what the repair centre were up to not putting the latest version on it before sending it back).

So I called Samsung Tech Support about it, and they told me it should update to 4.1.2 software with the ELLA tag as a "big" update, and then he said that there will be another smaller update to go with that "that you won't really notice at all".

So my guess is that the latest little software update that you are getting is related to the software "fix" for SDS and it's not really something that the user will see any difference with.

afaik that was a bigger update a week or so sent out by providers (could be wrong though) this seems to be something else especially with the three big providers in Ireland sending it out on the same day

yeah the same happened someone else on here, fonefix or whoever "fixed" it installed an unlocked firmware from a while back meaning the phone was unlocked and all sims would work but it wouldn't update via Kies.

They downloaded the latest correct firmware from Sammobile and flashed themselves and all worked fine then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

danniemcq wrote: »
    yeah the same happened someone else on here, fonefix or whoever "fixed" it installed an unlocked firmware from a while back meaning the phone was unlocked and all sims would work but it wouldn't update via Kies.

They downloaded the latest correct firmware from Sammobile and flashed themselves and all worked fine then

That was probably me! I posted that in the SDS forum. It came backed unlocked, but I had to go to Sammobile for the update file. Samsung suggested I send it back to them for the update, but f**k that. It would only have gone back to fonemenders, as the "official" Samsung repair centre for Samsung and Three in Ireland, and sure it was them that put the old one on it only last week.

I went the Sammobile route, and all good so far. It's recognised in Kies now, so updates should be easy.

That was probably me! I posted that in the SDS forum. It came backed unlocked, but I had to go to Sammobile for the update file. Samsung suggested I send it back to them for the update, but f**k that. It would only have gone back to fonemenders, as the "official" Samsung repair centre for Samsung and Three in Ireland, and sure it was them that put the old one on it only last week.

I went the Sammobile route, and all good so far. It's recognised in Kies now, so updates should be easy.

yeah thats the story thats ringing a bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got an update as well on o2, about 10mb in size. Can see anything new, so may be related to the fix or something.

Since updating yesterday, I've been having random "sd card is damaged" messages. Not sure if it's my sd card failing or a problem with the update.

And just to clarify, the notification disappears and I can access everything on the card.

Anyone else getting this?

• Advertisement

Since updating yesterday, I've been having random "sd card is damaged" messages. Not sure if it's my sd card failing or a problem with the update.

And just to clarify, the notification disappears and I can access everything on the card.

Anyone else getting this?

Mine is ok, can you test it on your PC?

As in run a test program for integrity or have you got an miniSD adapter?

Had it in the pc this morning without a problem.

Since posting the above, it only seems to happen after waking the phone up. The notification will be in the top bar then disappear after a few seconds.

Will try another card in it after work tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Since posting the above, it only seems to happen after waking the phone up. The notification will be in the top bar then disappear after a few seconds.

I was in -30c in Sweden in December, and I've been having this "issue" since. It isn't as regular now as it was initially, but still somewhat annoying. It doesn't actually affect performance in any way, but I have been suffering from the Mediaserver Battery Drain issue in the past couple of days (I think I've resolved this though).

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I was in -30c in Sweden in December, and I've been having this "issue" since. It isn't as regular now as it was initially, but still somewhat annoying. It doesn't actually affect performance in any way, but I have been suffering from the Mediaserver Battery Drain issue in the past couple of days (I think I've resolved this though).
    Funnily enough, I've been having battery drain issues over the last few days also. Will need to go check up on the Media Server issue. How did you get it sorted?

I'm wondering if the 2 issues are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

is their another meteor update due?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Funnily enough, I've been having battery drain issues over the last few days also. Will need to go check up on the Media Server issue. How did you get it sorted?

I'm wondering if the 2 issues are connected.

What was happening me was that certain music files on my SD card were "corrupted" (for want of a better word) and causing the Mediaserver process to drain the battery. I just formatted the card and re-added the music, and it's been fine so far today.

This was the article I read on the mediaserver issue: http://www.connect-utb.com/2012/07/buggy-android-mediaserver-draining-your-battery/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I had the same problem last week..... except that eventually the message didn't go away and then I could no longer access the sd card. Had to reformat it to get it to work again.

elderlemon wrote: »
    I had the same problem last week..... except that eventually the message didn't go away and then I could no longer access the sd card. Had to reformat it to get it to work again.
    Did you try the card in a pc or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

anyone have the release costs of the galaxy s3 from o2?
    just want to make sure im right in saying that 419 up front on a 50euro contract was for 6 months.

i cancelled my contract since its up, but now they are charging me 241 euro for a full month (when i cancelled a few days into the month) and a one off 194 euro fee.

im not at home so cant get my contract at the moment and next time i am home the money will have been debited.

what will be my options here? i contacted them and they said its 12 month contract but i am pretty sure its 6 months.
    small claims court?
    can i bill them for missed work time also if it comes to court?
    guy who i asked to look into it wasnt helpful at all and im not wasting more time with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the media server issue means something is wrong with you sd card or a file on it

Advertisement