Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

All, emobile/meteor official version seems to be available, updating through Kies at the moment.

For those interested:

226005.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone know if the notification drop down can be edited? I'm not liking the addition if the brightness slider. Completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks all for replies regarding wiping. Looked at rooting and doing Titanium backup but not really bothered.

It is actually more responsive today and I know it took down a shed load of app updates yesterday.

Have to admit that battery life is far improved on JB. I have a habit of constantly popping the thing out of my pocket to check for mails etc - I do techie work on behalf of a few differing companies and pick up mail to the varying addresses so get lots of mail and lots of activsync, this probably has a drain on battery and me looking at the screen the whole time.

Probably will do the wipe and manual reinstall over this weekend.

Someone asked too re app re-installs; Yep they all remain in your Google account and can be selectively downloaded again. I tend to download games for my kids first to the phone and then onto the Asus tablet they share, and never been an issue.

Appreciate all the help.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Just updated today.
    For anyone on Meteor my phone seems quicker and more responsive now
    Im impressed anyway
    I updated over the air on wifi, not via kies. Dont know if that makes a difference.
    Back up on Kies first, then updated software. It kept every setting- wallpaper, apps, text messages the same as it was before the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

My s3 won't vibrate for text messages in silent vibrate mode. Anyone any suggestions? I don't like vibration on when not in silent but sometimes when I've to put the phone into silent I prefer it with vibration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Find apps very slow to open after the jelly bean update, anyone else experience this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Tardis wrote: »
    My s3 won't vibrate for text messages in silent vibrate mode. Anyone any suggestions? I don't like vibration on when not in silent but sometimes when I've to put the phone into silent I prefer it with vibration.

You need to enable Vibrate - also vibrate when notified in the Messaging app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Tardis wrote: »
    I'm getting this too. Really doing my head in! It only vibrates when a call comes in or a Facebook notification comes through.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Something which is annoying me. It happens when I open a folder and then open an app from within. When I am finished with the app and close it, the folder is still open. I know this is standard on computers and the like but the chances of me wanting anything else in that folder are pretty small and it's annoying having to close it everytime (I'm a big fan of folders).
    This has never bothered me before so I presume that before JB the folder would automatically close when you selected an app?

Anyone else found this? Any way to get the folder to close when an app is selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I updated OTA on Meteor and discovered a major problem. When I check for updates now the phone says "Your device has been modified, updates are not available". How is this possible? I haven't rooted the phone or anything like that, just downloaded the official Meteor JB upgrade. Anyone else getting the same message? I'll probably bring it into a shop but I worry that there staff are so ill informed that when they see my Homescreen (Nova Launcher, custom icons etc etc.) they'll think its rooted?

Apart from that, theres some nice new features but I notice that I didn't get Smart Rotation which is annoying cos' I hate the auto-rotate feature, it doesn't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

did a full wipe via recovery.

odin installed the btu unbranded.

also siyah kernal for JB

and cf-root again.

kies pick up the phone and the fw level so I can upgrade via kies in the future.

but the OTA updates arent working same as the poster above. I'm on meteor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

just updated to jb today , trying out google now from the clips I've seen on YouTube it's supposed to give you voice talk back from searches like s voice but can't seem to figure this out??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

just updated to jb today , trying out google now from the clips I've seen on YouTube it's supposed to give you voice talk back from searches like s voice but can't seem to figure this out??

Load of talk in this thread about it, just drop back a few pages as all the answers are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

On top of it not vibrating for sms in vibrate mode I've noticed its no longer making the water ripple noise when locking and unlocking

Nice vid showing a range of things Google Now can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Pj! wrote: »
    Something which is annoying me. It happens when I open a folder and then open an app from within. When I am finished with the app and close it, the folder is still open. I know this is standard on computers and the like but the chances of me wanting anything else in that folder are pretty small and it's annoying having to close it everytime (I'm a big fan of folders).
    This has never bothered me before so I presume that before JB the folder would automatically close when you selected an app?

Anyone else found this? Any way to get the folder to close when an app is selected?

I like that feature - I tend to want something else in the same folder. I'm sure it's something added deliberately for the likes of me but obviously it's not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

One thing i have noticed since updating my S3 on friday is that when i unlock the phone by pressing the button the right side a red light appears on the outside of the screen. Anyone else have this or know how to get rid of it? I checked all the settings for display, can't seem to knock it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I updated OTA on Meteor and discovered a major problem. When I check for updates now the phone says "Your device has been modified, updates are not available". How is this possible? I haven't rooted the phone or anything like that, just downloaded the official Meteor JB upgrade. Anyone else getting the same message? I'll probably bring it into a shop but I worry that there staff are so ill informed that when they see my Homescreen (Nova Launcher, custom icons etc etc.) they'll think its rooted?

Apart from that, theres some nice new features but I notice that I didn't get Smart Rotation which is annoying cos' I hate the auto-rotate feature, it doesn't work at all.

I'm getting the exact same message on Vodafone. I updated through Kies with official firmware. I've unrooted and still get the same message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

My phone is is gone really laggy, unresponsive, and the battery is gone to ****e since jelly bean seriously considering rooting It.
    Have I any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Switch off the location setting for google now. It improved by battery life a lot.

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    My phone is is gone really laggy, unresponsive, and the battery is gone to ****e since jelly bean seriously considering rooting It.
    Have I any other options?

Yep had same and reset it and its flying.
    A few weeks in and its still flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Vanbis wrote: »
    One thing i have noticed since updating my S3 on friday is that when i unlock the phone by pressing the button the right side a red light appears on the outside of the screen. Anyone else have this or know how to get rid of it? I checked all the settings for display, can't seem to knock it off.

Settings -> Developer Options -> Monitoring/Strict Mode -> uncheck and reboot.

The red border indicates a long operation iin the OS, and this setting indicates whether or not you should be notified of such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Installed Omega v4.0 AOKP JB Android 4.1.2, seamless, installed photo sphere after with Rom manager, couldnt ask for more, last rom was Omega 13.1

Backed up the original rom just in case
    Backed up apps with Tatanium
    Backed up sms msgs with SMS Backup+
    Copied rom to the S3
    Rebooted to recovery mode, factory reset, installed rom, rebooted
    There may be issues but ive noticed none so far, this is 100% usable for daily use
    Excellent piece of kit, thanks again to Indie

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1720628

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah its awesome.
    ill be waiting for 4.2 updates before doing more stuff with roms. probably will stick to cyanogenmod as my secondary boot for the time being as when its customised its very nice. fairly heavy on battery though i find unfortunately...
    surprised for a rom as i thought they wud have all stuff liek that fixed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My only real complaint with jelly bean after some time with it now is lag. Battery is brillant & no connectivity issues. But bad lag! Usually with s memo & s planner, a very noticeable at least 2 second pause when opening. Sometimes the time on the lockscreen is still at the time of when i locked the phone & noticeable jumps to the current time after a pause. Ram usage seems a bit high, 592 of 833? It always returns to around this after a clear.

I did a factory reset a week ago but it didnt actually do anthing. I dont fancy doing it again as lack of access to wifi & usb issues when connecting the phone to my pc(a pc issue, not the phones) make the whole process painfull.

Are there any other fixes that dont involve the above? I've seen mention of a reformat in this thread, is this the same as a factory reset?

format wud wipe everything including the operating system id guess, so dont do that i.e the phone wouldnt boot.
    ram usage is high and not an issue. it always was. android uses as much as is available pretty much the whole time.
    if you start a game or something that wants to use more than that remaining 200Mb, it disables all the background processes that are running to free up the ram they were using i.e it runs the memory clear you try doing automatically.
    memory optimisers are only useful before versions of 3.0 of android or something.

as fort your programs taking 2 seconds to start.. its probably because you use a memory optimiser. it wipes them from ram, so when you start them they have to boot from scratch again. leave them in memory and it wont be an issue.

also what launcher are you using? there shouldnt be issues with the clock. it cud be related to launcher, or else maybe the clock app you are using if its not default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I found my battery issue was down to my sd card ...I found my phone battery not even lasting a day and warm to touch so opened up what was using battery and found it was "media" a format of the sd card fixed that problem getting two days from the phone now ....but still finding it dropping the wifi signal too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My screen is taking over 50% of the battery day in day out.
    My screen brightness is set at the halfway point and it have the screen timeout set to close after 15 seconds...

So what exactly is eating my battery?

why dont u have it set to auto? i just find its better and with the slider in notification area its very easy put back to midway point anyway.
    my screens battery usage is 8% but then again im only randomly checking it at work and what not...
    if you have it at 50% then it means your phones screen is in use 50% of the time man so im not surprised its that high.
    on that basis you spend 12hours a day on your phone, or i guess your stats are excluding sleep, but tahts still 8 hours a day you are using and looking at your phone
    EDIT: maybe an app can cause the screen to come on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 valmurph8035

My apologies if this has been covered before but I bought my S3 myself unlocked. My sim is with 3. I cant seem to get any JB updates - when I check for updates in settings it tells me none are available.

Anybody know how I can get an official update? I don't want to flash it myself because I know it can lead to irreversible changes to the software and I want to resell it eventually.

Also if I do get the 3 update would that lock the phone to their service? obviously I want to avoid that and keep it unlocked!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement