Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2013 6 nations and junior world cup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

irb junior player nominees

Jack Clifford (England)

Sam Davies (Wales)

Ardie Savea (New Zealand)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

If England win Clifford will get it.

Darren Sweetnam has been banned for 3 weeks for a spear tackle in the France game, so Adam Byrne will likely start on the right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    Darren Sweetnam has been banned for 3 weeks for a spear tackle in the France game, so Adam Byrne will likely start on the right wing.

What? But Sweetnam is tiny. The guy he lifted must've weighed nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

.ak wrote: »

He's not that small, he's 6'1 or 6'2 & weighs 13.5-14 stone I think. Haven't seen the yellow card incident, but I'm guessing if it's a 3 week ban, he must barely have lifted him beyond horizontal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lelantos wrote: »
    He's not that small, he's 6'1 or 6'2 & weighs 13.5-14 stone I think. Haven't seen the yellow card incident, but I'm guessing if it's a 3 week ban, he must barely have lifted him beyond horizontal.

Really? He looks about 11-12st! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Lelantos wrote: »

I think U20 bans are a bit lower anyway. The worst tip tackle I've ever seen only got about 8 weeks at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Really? He looks about 11-12st! :D

Think you're getting mixed up. Darren Sweetman is the former hurler playing on the wing, Shanahan is the 15 year old scrumhalf. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Think you're getting mixed up. Darren Sweetman is the former hurler playing on the wing, Shanahan is the 15 year old scrumhalf. :D

Big loss to cork hurling by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Rightwing wrote: »
    Big loss to cork hurling by all accounts.

Serious hurler. He looked massive playing hurling, that's all I'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

a tip tackle not a spear tackle..the tackle is one of sweetnam weak areas

He's defended fantastically in the tournament so far (at least in the games that were televised).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hagz wrote: »
    He's defended fantastically in the tournament so far (at least in the games that were televised).

he must good, if kept Adam Byrne of team

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

thebaz wrote: »
    he must good, if kept Adam Byrne of team

In fairness, I think Byrne ruled himself out of the team with a pretty shocking defensive display..... he would have been ahead of him otherwise.

1. Edward Byrne
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Chris Taylor
    4. Gavin Thornbury
    5. John Donnan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh Van der Flier
    8. Conor Joyce
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Steve Crosbie
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Rory Scannell
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Rory Scholes

16. George McGuigan
    17. Ryan Furniss
    18. Adam Boland
    19. Sean McCarthy
    20. Peadar Timmins
    21. David Shanahan
    22. Mark Roche
    23. David Panter

Game will not be televised idt:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I thought every squad member had to start a game in the JWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

has dave panter played a minute yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

shuffol wrote: »
    I thought every squad member had to start a game in the JWC.
    That's brought up every year but don't think that's the case. Nearly all players are used due to close proximity of the 5 games we play in the competition but sometimes players not used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

What's the deal with the scheduling for the JWC? Seems a bit silly to me having 5/7/9/11 place playoffs. Any reason behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

What's the deal with the scheduling for the JWC? Seems a bit silly to me having 5/7/9/11 place playoffs. Any reason behind it?

It's a development tournament, every team gets the same number of games regardless of results. It's primary function is to develop young talent rather than determine the best team, as is the case for most tournaments. The playoffs for lowest ranked team also determine who drops down to the lower level tournament next year

To give games and more time for player development. Underage competition therefore I don't mind all teams getting plenty of games.
    seedings decide the draw for group stage for following years competition so playoffs decide that.
    also playoffs decide who is relegated to world trophy for the following year

Ireland losing 13-0. half an hour gone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

20-0.

23-11 with 20mins left
    Rory Scholes with the try

28-17, Ireland wearing black

2067932_NRHP.jpg

28-17 to Australia now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would have been interesting to see what this team could have done with a good kicker. Australia have been 5/6 today. Ireland have been 4/7. We have consistently been very poor off the tee in this tournament with several kickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Could they have hidden Ringrose on the wing or something? Would have been a drastic improvement in quality.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Could they have hidden Ringrose on the wing or something? Would have been a drastic improvement in quality.

Haha, no, I don't think so. I'm surprised that McGrath hasn't been kicking given how good he was off the tee at u-18 level.

Looking ahead to next year I don't know how strong we are in that are either. I presume Conor McKeon will be the goal-kicker.

Advertisement