Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2013 6 nations and junior world cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    So do we play Australia again this weekend for the 7th/8th playoff?

Considering how well they played in the group it seems like a poor return to possibly finish 7th/8th

Think the lads are emotionally and physically spent to be honest, thats what id guess anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I must tg4 credit for showing that eng - NZ game, what an exciting game it was.

Eng v wales in the final, what an upset that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Rightwing wrote: »
    I must tg4 credit for showing that eng - NZ game, what an exciting game it was.

TG4 must be after getting a red button in your house!

TG4 must be after getting a red button in your house!

Indeed, it was a most enjoyable game, still trying to work out how NZ managed to lose it by 12 points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Indeed, it was a most enjoyable game, still trying to work out how NZ managed to lose it by 12 points though.

They were dominated in the first half.

• Advertisement

chippers wrote: »
    They were dominated in the first half.

2nf half though there was only 1 team in it, that number 14 for the ABs looked some player. But you got to give both Wales & Eng credit, the gap is being reduced the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

2nf half though there was only 1 team in it, that number 14 for the ABs looked some player. But you got to give both Wales & Eng credit, the gap is being reduced the whole time.

Yeah the 14 looked good, he really came alive in the second half. England's back row were immense in the first half, the try they scored was a beauty. Have to say it was one of the most entertaining games I have seen in a while. There was a passage in the second half that must have gone on for 5 minutes at an electric pace - full of open field running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

The English were excellent throughout. Disciplined, committed defending and took their opportunities when they arose. Their hooker and number 8 were fantastic.

chippers wrote: »
    Yeah the 14 looked good, he really came alive in the second half. England's back row were immense in the first half, the try they scored was a beauty. Have to say it was one of the most entertaining games I have seen in a while. There was a passage in the second half that must have gone on for 5 minutes at an electric pace - full of open field running.

I thought the same, often these underage games are far more entertaining than the senior. I thought the ABs would nick it in the end, why they didn't kick easy penalty with 3 or 4 minutes left is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I thought the same, often these underage games are far more entertaining than the senior. I thought the ABs would nick it in the end, why they didn't kick easy penalty with 3 or 4 minutes left is beyond me.

I didn't see all of the game tonight unfortunately, but remember the New Zealand kicker wasn't that accurate against Ireland. Maybe that was the reason? Ignore if it wasn't the same player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So England v Wales in the final, and Ireland v Australia round 2. Looking forward to it.

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    I didn't see all of the game tonight unfortunately, but remember the New Zealand kicker wasn't that accurate against Ireland. Maybe that was the reason? Ignore if it wasn't the same player.

They had a chap in the 2nd half who was good, they did need 2 scores at the time, so I suppose it was a bit of inexperience on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Irelands group in next years world cup will be as follows(taken from piquet on Munsterfans)
    Irelands Group will be either
    1st (Wales or Eng),
    6th(Loser of Arg and Fra)
    and 12th (winner of the Trophy (Italy) if we finish 7th by beating France

and if we lose to France and finish 8th
    2nd( Loser of Wal and Eng),
    5th (Winner of Arg and Fra)
    and 11th (Winner of USA and Fiji)

So its England/Wales, Argentina/France and either Italy or USA/Fiji

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

ormond lad wrote: »
    Irelands group in next years world cup will be as follows(taken from piquet on Munsterfans)
    1st (Wales or Eng),

If that's true its a hell of alot better than the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ormond lad wrote: »
    1st (Wales or Eng),

That's much much better, hopefully next year's bunch are up to it because that's very winnable group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

A few years ago losing 9-8 in France would be a decent result, now we're looking at as a game we should've won, there's definately being an upward curve in these underage sides the last few years, dont think there was massive expectation with this bunch either with the guys expected to be big contributors absent(Olding, Farrell, Henshaw). Next years has the look of a strong side so hopefully they perform well, the way the JWC is run you can build momentum with a strong showing one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    If that's true its a hell of alot better than the last two years
    Groups are same seeds every year so unless things change(which they should as its ridiculous having a seeding structure in place for an age grade competition where vast majority of players are overage for the following season.
    Tox56 wrote: »
    That's much much better, hopefully next year's bunch are up to it because that's very winnable group
    Think next years group(94s) will be decent. Quite a few played in this years comp and the 19s this year were an all right side in their 2 games and some of the strong 18s schools and youths may move up and skip 19s.

So we might actually be better off next year if we lose to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Watched a little bit of Eng V NZ last night on Sky. The size of the English players is absolutely crazy. I had to keep pinching myself that these guys were under 20. Also I reckon this is the first time the comp has had an all NH final...didn't see much of it, does this mark a sea-change or is it just one of those things?

toomevara wrote: »
    Watched a little bit of Eng V NZ last night on Sky. The size of the English players is absolutely crazy. I had to keep pinching myself that these guys were under 20. Also I reckon this is the first time the comp has had an all NH final...didn't see much of it, does this mark a sea-change or is it just one of those things?

Thought the same, the ABs had trouble bringing them down from their sheer size & power, whereas the English boys had trouble bringing down the NZ boys due to their offloading and lines they were taking.

Yes & yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

The bottom line for me was that the AB's were too slow in making changes to bring on fresh players. I think that they got it the wrong way round, starting with the majority of the team who were involved in a really tough game with Ireland and bringing on players in the secnd half and the last quarter of the game who looked fresh. The replacement 10 for them upped the tempo, but England were happy to defend and soak it up.

The quick turn round for these young lads is a big thing. England played a weaker team against USA and still romped it. AB's played us and got a proper game. It is no surprise to me that both us and AB's were not as sharp as others. It is hard. AB's did not rotate well and paid a heavy price. They looked better when changes were made, but the horse had bolted.

Good luck to England, who will probably win it now, they used there resources well and had a great draw in the easier group, but that is the luck that they needed, they planned it well and saved it for that big game v AB's which they probably viewed as their final. They played it smart and took advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tox56 wrote: »

for the past 2 years we have come up just short , next years team should be strong so hopefully we can push forward and get a final - not sure if the team will be that good, but certainly a semi should be at least the target. Well done to Wales and England, proving it is not just a tournament for the baby blacks.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    The bottom line for me was that the AB's were too slow in making changes to bring on fresh players. I think that they got it the wrong way round, starting with the majority of the team who were involved in a really tough game with Ireland and bringing on players in the secnd half and the last quarter of the game who looked fresh. The replacement 10 for them upped the tempo, but England were happy to defend and soak it up.

The quick turn round for these young lads is a big thing. England played a weaker team against USA and still romped it. AB's played us and got a proper game. It is no surprise to me that both us and AB's were not as sharp as others. It is hard. AB's did not rotate well and paid a heavy price. They looked better when changes were made, but the horse had bolted.

Good luck to England, who will probably win it now, they used there resources well and had a great draw in the easier group, but that is the luck that they needed, they planned it well and saved it for that big game v AB's which they probably viewed as their final. They played it smart and took advantage.

I wouldn't write Wales off, they beat the defending champs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

i am not writing them off and really hope that Wales do win it............ just don't think that they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Jordan Williams playing fullback for Wales looks alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Delighted for Argentina!

So Darren Sweetnam was yellow carded in the 1st minute, Peter Dooley and Chris Taylor were both stretchered off, and we missed a few kicks at goal. Doesn't sound like luck was on our side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Grimebox wrote: »
    Jordan Williams playing fullback for Wales looks alright

Mentioned him a while back.He's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

The two most impressive players i've seen this season have been the Welsh 15 and SA 15. Both being standout performers

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    i am not writing them off and really hope that Wales do win it............ just don't think that they will.

Looks like bookies agree with you, England 2/5 to win.

Advertisement