Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still own or use a VCR or another out of date Tech?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for the Nokia 6310i

Beast of a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In the bedroom I've a 32' TV with a massive back. No HD. It breaks my heart having to watch it.

I had a 34inch up until recently. It was the size of a poxy sofa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Off topic but way back circa 1980 I had one of the early Sony Betamax Video Cameras http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sony_SL-F1_camera.jpg these had to be used with a heavy duty tripod and what was laughingly described as a 'portable' video recorder! The system cost well in excess of €1,000 at today's prices and was virtually unusable due to weight and poor quality outside of a highly lit studio. It was so bad that I deliberately left it behind in a house move - and you tell young people today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have a Sony (tape) Walkman with a 7 band equaliser in my attic somehwhere. Perfectly functional last time I checked. Do I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

does a Voigtländer Bergheil (bellows camera, film, obviously) from sometime pre-WW2 count?
    Also un-used film plates (dated Summer '44)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

1962 D1 model BSA Bantam...may be outdated but as usable today as when it came off the production line (my one isn't as shiney & pretty as the one in the attached image :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Still use tons of stuff.

Have a Hitachi 3 in 1 sound system connected up to 2 70s Sony speakers for my vinyl collection.
    I have a 70s Bush transistor radio in the kitchen and Fidelity am/lw transistor in the guest bedroom.
    A PS2 and PS1, both still working.
    I have a MD player hooked up to my receiver and TV and still use it.
    3 Working Camera, samsumg digital circa 1998, EOS 500 and Powershot P90IS.
    JVC Camcorder, circa 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just remembered I have a 78 RPM record. I bought an album (33 RPM) in a charity shop years ago and the 78 was also in the sleeve. I've never been able to play it properly (it does play on my turntable but I can't play it at 78 RPM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

TPD wrote: »
    I own one cassette tape which I bought recently, but no walkman / other tape playing device. Must scour some car boot sales, prices online are pretty ridiculous.
    Original and pocket gameboys came out of storage recently, batteries still good for a few rounds of tetris.

The parents have a combi vhs/dvd player hooked up to the full HD tv, don't think it gets any use though. Fairly large collections of VHS and DVD too, which will likely get next to no use in the future.

My dad's most used radio is older than I am, sadly it'll be useless after the switch over.

What switchover is this? Is something happening the radio too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

What switchover is this? Is something happening the radio too?

Switching analogue (FM) signals to DAB will not happen soon. It's been bandied around a bit here, nothing concrete though.

In the UK, they've postponed their switch which was supposed to be in 2015, as it was seen as a fairly pointless exercise for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In the parent's house they still have the 2 VCRS, one of which is 30 years old, has never had a problem in it's existence and stills run perfectly fine. Outlasted every TV it was plugged into.

Is the 30 year old VCR a top loading one?
    I've also got a couple of old SGI and Sun workstations that I should really throw out!

A Silicon Graphics workstation, awesome :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Are almost all the machines that are mentioned were built before in-built redundancy methods incorporated by tech companies so they could sell more stuff? They have amazing longevity.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Are almost all the machines that are mentioned were built before in-built redundancy methods incorporated by tech companies so they could sell more stuff? They have amazing longevity.

Well as I mentioned before, I've a 286 Compaq laptop from 1989 which still works perfectly - no bad sectors on its 42MB hard disk and even the battery still holds a charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Karsini wrote: »
    Well as I mentioned before, I've a 286 Compaq laptop from 1989 which still works perfectly - no bad sectors on its 42MB hard disk and even the battery still holds a charge.

Hard drive i bought in 2006 packed up recently. And thats one of the better ones, most wouldnt last 6 years. Li-ion batteries are generally a sh1te technology all round except for the ones that went into some of the nokia phones like the 6310. I reckon they were putting some unusual experimental stuff into them. NiMH and NiCD batteries last ages. Have D cell batteries from the mid 90s still work perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I have a Nokia 3310 lying around somewhere, still works.

My current phone is a Nokia 6303 which is probably a dinosaur now as it's not a smart phone, but I love it. A brilliant no nonsense solid phone that does exactly what I want a phone to do. I've had it nearly 3 years and it's never given me an ounce of trouble.

My DSLR camera is 7 years old now-a Nikon D50-and I still use it. Only 6.1mp, less than many phone cameras have now, but produces great images and a well built camera without all the extras that entry level DSLR' have now like HD video, articulated LCD's, ultra high ISO's (often unusable at the top end) and so on. Better to have a decent stand alone camera than a so-so one with lots of bells and whistles I reckon. And I prefer stand alone products anyway.

I still use my Sony micro hi-fi system that's at least 10 years old with tape deck and CD player that I listen to the radio on.

Some day I'm going to buy a refurbished old valve radio like my Aunt had when I was small. Modern radios don't come close to the warm homely sound of valve radios I think. The beautiful and small (for a valve radio) Bush DAC90A is the one top of my wish list.
    And I love that you have to wait for them to warm up. Aah brings back memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Another vote for the Nokia 6310i

Beast of a phone

Highest quality phone Nokia has ever made I reckon. A friend of mine has had one for about 10 years and it still works perfectly. He has another more modern phone for everyday use but says he will never get rid of his 6310i.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pfft, bunch of noobs. The only way I post on Boards is by using a magnetised needle, a 386 processor and a steady hand.

PS Did Katie Taylor win?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Augmerson wrote: »
    How about Betamax? Still playing a 8-bit or 16-bit videogame console? Walkman....cassette or CD?

I still have a CRT TV. I still play my Playstation 2 and own a few Playstation 1 games for it. I guess, being honest, I just don't have the money to buy a newer console or TV set. I also use a Canon EOS 300D from 2006. I like to make things last though.

I connect to the net via 33k modem.

Do people honestly still connect to Internet via dial up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cd-i player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I had an Atari 2600 and sold it for a fiver when I was 14. Still regret that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I play tapes in the car (97 Peugeot 406)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

MJ23 wrote: »
    I play tapes in the car (97 Peugeot 406)

I must see does the tape deck still work in my 91 Peugeot 405

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Do people honestly still connect to Internet via dial up

Some of them might, if they had old computers. Not sure if the service is still provided in that way though.

I remember once connecting to Esat digital's service and getting a 56k connection. For some reason a more technological minded person will tell ye, even if you had a 56k connection, it was very unlikely that you would connect at that speed. Often it was 48k.

Pointless story is pointless but I like to tells it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have a Bush VCR which is practically brand new because we never learned how to record on it!

I couldn't figure out how to programme it because we have Sky and Sky channels are three digits-the VCR would only allow me to programme channels that were two digits, so I gave up trying to do it.
    Still use it now and again to watch old videos.

Also have a CD walkman which I don't use, but don't want to throw it out cos it looks all shiny and I remember at the time thinking I was so cool owning one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Still have a VCR. Had to go to second hand store to find the latest one, there are things that will never be released on DVD so need to have one to enjoy them.

Oh, and I keep a rotary dial phone around too. When the electric goes out it's all that works ( I often forget to charge the cell phone and the walk around one needs to be plugged in.)

Dial up is all i can get.

My xbox is hooked up to a CRT TV. I'm pretty sure in the attic of my family home is a bag containing a few dozen C64 game tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Greentopia wrote: »
    Some day I'm going to buy a refurbished old valve radio like my Aunt had when I was small. Modern radios don't come close to the warm homely sound of valve radios I think. The beautiful and small (for a valve radio) Bush DAC90A is the one top of my wish list.
    And I love that you have to wait for them to warm up. Aah brings back memories :)

I had one like that when I was a kid, I think it was branded Philco. Back in the day when radio stations had names like Hilversum, Kalundborg and Athlone, and it was wavelengths quoted not frequency !

I'd like one of those again, just for LW

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I had an Atari 2600 and sold it for a fiver when I was 14. Still regret that.

I think I gave mine away.

<smacks head>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

i still have one of these.
    http://www.scottdecker.com/video_games/atari_lynx.html

and its still working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Everything i own is modern and new, I'm a bit of a new tech geek so i like to be up to date.

I suppose the fact there is a tape deck in my car might qualify me for this thread :pac:

Advertisement