Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still own or use a VCR or another out of date Tech?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

How about Betamax? Still playing a 8-bit or 16-bit videogame console? Walkman....cassette or CD?

I still have a CRT TV. I still play my Playstation 2 and own a few Playstation 1 games for it. I guess, being honest, I just don't have the money to buy a newer console or TV set. I also use a Canon EOS 300D from 2006. I like to make things last though.

I connect to the net via 33k modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Technics 1210s :)

Timeless though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Augmerson wrote: »
    How about Betamax? Still playing a 8-bit or 16-bit videogame console? Walkman....cassette or CD?

I still have a CRT TV. I still play my Playstation 2 and own a few Playstation 1 games for it. I guess, being honest, I just don't have the money to buy a newer console or TV set. I also use a Canon EOS 300D from 2006. I like to make things last though.

I connect to the net via 33k modem.

I bought a ps1 slim not long ago specifically for playing resident evil 2, final fantasy 7+8 and space hulk.

My brother still has his 3D0 launch console. It's absolutely legendary among us & friends at this stage, has passed hands so many times.

Can't beat a game of return fire & a few beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Still have a walkman and cassette player. Is a ps2 and GameCube considered out of date? Have them too.
    Have a VCR and a gameboy advance aswell :L

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Still have a Vic-20 in the attic back in Dublin! No gaems for it though...

Also have a rotary phone which, for some reason, is still connected and works.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I wear mechanical watches which are inherently less accurate than a quartz watch or phone.

No school like the old school brah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yep, I still have a DVD player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not a zany prat so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I still have an iPhone 3GS! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I still use a toothbrush with no batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

There are literally hundreds of cassette tapes here,couple of tape players too. I also use a regular mobile.Not an Iphone or android,just a phone.The vcr is still useable,sitting there under the telly and I have quite a lot of video tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Still have 2 VCRs to record TV shows

Our two main TVs aren't even widescreen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Unfortunately no, I gave away all my games consoles when I got a new one, raging now as I'm looking to buy all the classic consoles again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

a PS1 is acting as my monitor stand, quality workmanship on sony's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still have my Gameboy at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

8-track bitches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

To hear my phonograph I use an ear trumpet .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"I have a little boy and a little girl and they've never even seen a real iphone.... the poor bastards": a former colleague.

I have a working SEGA Megadrive and a handful of games...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not a zany prat so no.

Ah, just a muppet then? Sure join us if you like. I've one of them things you look through where you see pictures of the world. It's just like being in Rome I tell you. You can have it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I own one cassette tape which I bought recently, but no walkman / other tape playing device. Must scour some car boot sales, prices online are pretty ridiculous.
    Original and pocket gameboys came out of storage recently, batteries still good for a few rounds of tetris.

The parents have a combi vhs/dvd player hooked up to the full HD tv, don't think it gets any use though. Fairly large collections of VHS and DVD too, which will likely get next to no use in the future.

My dad's most used radio is older than I am, sadly it'll be useless after the switch over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

My brother has asked me to convert his video memories to disk, so right now I have an old VCR connected to my tele.

But the olympics are on so I will do it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I wear mechanical watches which are inherently less accurate than a quartz watch or phone.
    Ditto. Still have a VCR, use it on occasion too. Use a film camera at times. Have an apple laptop from 2000 that I regularly use to browse the web. Have an original walkman II that I used until I got my smartphone a couple of years ago. Only stopped using an old rotary house phone last year. I've been a fogey for most of my life mind you...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have a rake of floppies. No idea what's on them.

I did buy an original gameboy last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

cantdecide wrote: »
    "I have a little boy and a little girl and they've never even seen a real iphone.... the poor bastards": a former colleague.

I have a working SEGA Megadrive and a handful of games...

You'll find most Megadrives to be still in working condition. With no moving parts there was nothing inside to break! I still have mine and a box full of games. Cant beat 4 player Micro Machines 96, still the best multiplayer game ever!

They built things to last back then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have to confess that the only out of date tech items that I don't own anymore are a record player and an ordinary SLR camera. Everything else, including an Atari 2600 games console (the kids still drag it out for pacman), the original Playstation (never graduated to the later models) and which sees regular use, various cassette players, a Samsung multi-region VHS player which is used a lot, a Super 8 movie projector (awaiting a new bulb) - I've a pile of pre-recorded movies that I'm dying to watch on the 'big' screen. Since I've still plenty of LPs I'm going to purchase one of these new fangled record players that can be linked to a PC. All sit comfortably alongside the newer toys like the DVD player, XBox and Wii and I'm glad I never got shut of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Still rocking a 3310. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Cant beat 4 player Micro Machines 96, still the best multiplayer game ever!

True that, many a night spent playing micro machines, on the Wii, emulators, whatever could be found :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MK64!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I have an 2 IBM XTs on my desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would still be in VCR land if it hadn't died. Still have radio/ double cassette player from the mid 80s which is in continual use on the top of the fridge and a separates hifi cassette deck. My phone takes no pictures and sends only basic text data. Still have a proper film camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Still have a VCR. I have a large collection of tapes from down the years that I like to look at from time to time. My VCR hasn't given me one hint of trouble in 15 years. God bless those Japanese.

Advertisement