Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still own or use a VCR or another out of date Tech?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I still use a VCR occasionally for work, and my SNES is used on nearly a monthly basis for some sweet Street Fighter II action after a few tipples with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I have a few VHS tapes but don't have a working video recorder to play them on. I burned a few of the better ones to DVD a few years ago.

I have a couple of hundred records and love the sound. I still buy second hand (and sometimes new) vinyl every so often. My turntable (this model) was bought in Argos about eight or nine years ago. Although it's hooked up to the iPod input of my stereo through an adapter it sounds pretty good, although the records don't lie down flat on it. I regret buying the cheaper mini turntable rather than the full size one.

A while ago I bought a second hand Rory Gallagher album and when I got it home discovered the cover was damp and the record was dirty. The needle kept skipping parts of it. I gave it a wipe with a damp cloth and it then played perfectly and now sounds even better than the CD. Although I was ripped off somewhat it goes to show that vinyl is more resilient than it's given credit for. A lot of my albums from when I was a teenager are scratched but that's probably my fault for not handling them properly.

I do still have a few tapes but never listen to them as I have most of the albums on CD. I only have about six albums on tape that I never bought on CD. I have a few tapes I made of my own music on a four track cassette recorder years ago.

I also have a tape I made of my voice was I was about four years old (32 years ago). I'm singing songs and telling stories I made up on it. Kids nowadays don't know the simple pleasure of recording themselves and listening back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Fire, Electricity and the wheel havent found their way to Wesmeath yet.

The beatles will be hitting Cavan soon and books will be heading for Leitrim in the next few decades.

Cutting edge technology.

Plenty. I've a NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, original Game Boy, a VCR (albeit a VHS/DVD combo unit), a 286 brick laptop and a CRT TV (not my main one, mind you).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I own a VCR, a CRT tv and a lot of old games consoles which I regularly take out to play like the NES, the MegaDrive and the PS1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I also have a tape I made of my voice was I was about four years old (32 years ago). I'm singing songs and telling stories I made up on it. Kids nowadays don't know the simple pleasure of recording themselves and listening back to it.

Haha there's a bunch of tapes like that in my Dad's house, recordings of me and the sisters and brothers talking, I remember being amazed by it at the time and thinking to myself that I don't sound like that! :)

Must dig them up actually and give them a listen, should be great laugh, thanks for reminding me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Still have a walkman and cassette player. Is a ps2 and GameCube considered out of date? Have them too.
    Have a VCR and a gameboy advance aswell :L

I wouldnt consider the ps2 and gamecube totally out of date. Sure its last gen and not whats currently hot but its not retro like the nintendo or megadrive.

I imagine some 13year olds view it as tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I still have an original release 20gb xbox 360, not very old but I hold my breath every time I turn it on. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

blaze1 wrote: »
    I still have an original release 20gb xbox 360, not very old but I hold my breath every time I turn it on. :P

Wow! The only launch 360 that didn't RROD!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

iPhone 4.

Totally morto when I've to take call in public like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I pretty much collect and use old electronic equipment. The build quality on a lot of it is just so good and made to last. Plus you can get so much of it dirt cheap.

Have a Sony Trinitron 29 inch CRT in the front room still going strong for all my old consoles. (Which are also all still working great.)

Arcade machine also in that room with loads of life left in it. Probably from about 89/90.

I put a vintage hifi together from old separates. Mainly Silver Pioneer from the 70s. Speakers are a pair of Celestion Ditton 33s from the 70s. They still sound amazing and shake the whole house.

One of my more interesting machines is an Akai 4000D reel to reel tape deck (I think it's from the 60s) which works great too. Looks like this -

Big fat no to VHS though, I don't use **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I still ride a pennyfarthing to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

o1s1n wrote: »
    I pretty much collect and use old electronic equipment. The build quality on a lot of it is just so good and made to last. Plus you can get so much of it dirt cheap.

Have a Sony Trinitron 29 inch CRT in the front room still going strong for all my old consoles. (Which are also all still working great.)

Arcade machine also in that room with loads of life left in it. Probably from about 89/90.

I put a vintage hifi together from old separates. Mainly Silver Pioneer from the 70s. Speakers are a pair of Celestion Ditton 33s from the 70s. They still sound amazing and shake the whole house.

One of my more interesting machines is an Akai 4000D reel to reel tape deck (I think it's from the 60s) which works great too. Looks like this -

Big fat no to VHS though, I don't use **** :pac:

Nice reel to reel, I've always had a hankering for a 'good' one but never managed to get my hands on one yet. We used them a lot at school back in Old God's Time. I wouldn't agree about VHS though as there's still piles of movies only available in that format plus it's so cheap to pick up regular movies from charity shops - no home should be without one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I wouldnt consider the ps2 and gamecube totally out of date. Sure its last gen and not whats currently hot but its not retro like the nintendo or megadrive.

I imagine some 13year olds view it as tho :pac:

I would have cried with joy to have a gamecube as a kid. I absolutely cherished my snes that I had saved up to buy myself, when everyone else was playing crap games like metal gear solid on their inferior playstations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I would have cried with joy to have a gamecube as a kid. I absolutely cherished my snes that I had saved up to buy myself, when everyone else was playing crap games like metal gear solid on their inferior playstations.

GameCube was my favourite of all the things I had. The only games I had were Sonic mega collection, Super Mario Sunshine, wrestle mania, sims and pokemon. Still kept me more occupied than any other console ever :L Can play gamecube games in the wii now so it's not too bad :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

still have a vhs, watched one about 3 months ago and the wife just bought one off amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I still have 2 vcr's and working perfect , a local charity shop sells 10 videos for 1 euro buy a load of kids movies (sick of replacing scratched dvd'd) when they get tired of them donate them back and buy different ones

Seriously ive been through more dvd players and the video players have outlasted them all and would hate to part with them also have one of those old "hifi's" that was regarded as a piece of furniture back in the days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

TPD wrote: »

My dad's most used radio is older than I am, sadly it'll be useless after the switch over.
    Theres a switchover for radio signals?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Still have my nokia 6310i - not as old as some of the stuff on this thread though

Would love to still have atari2600, a commadore or gameboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Used to have an Atari Jaguar, anyone else have one of them? Think it only ever had about 5 games. Oh yeah and the Sega 32X, anyone remember that?

• Advertisement

Used to have an Atari Jaguar, anyone else have one of them? Think it only ever had about 5 games. Oh yeah and the Sega 32X, anyone remember that?

Friend of mine had both of those when I was a kid. Well when I say friend, I mean other child with 3 consoles.

Both woeful systems, but were pretty amazing to play at the time as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Friend of mine had both of those when I was a kid. Well when I say friend, I mean other child with 3 consoles.

Both woeful systems, but were pretty amazing to play at the time as I recall.

The Jaguar was comical. Apart from having no games, the controller was shaped like a brick and had about a thousand buttons on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

padd b1975 wrote: »
    TPD wrote: »

My dad's most used radio is older than I am, sadly it'll be useless after the switch over.
    Theres a switchover for radio signals?:confused::confused:

I think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'v a 'doovde' player!:P yes I still have DVD player(s) and they work fine and a 'Vussss' VHS/VCR ) but it only half works!

Blue ray is overrated and well tried and tested works better if its still work, don't fix it or change it if it ain't broke! If it working efficiently its fine by me whether or not its outdated, DVD players/DVD's last longer.

Though more technologically advanced in other things like the game consoles, laptop, phone (kinda not the most newest but works efficiently) and other gadgets not the latest but recent enough from the past few years.

I still use a radio/cd player...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice reel to reel, I've always had a hankering for a 'good' one but never managed to get my hands on one yet. We used them a lot at school back in Old God's Time. I wouldn't agree about VHS though as there's still piles of movies only available in that format plus it's so cheap to pick up regular movies from charity shops - no home should be without one. :D

The main problem with reel to reels is just coming across commercial tapes. The sound quality is meant to be incredible on many of them, but they're pretty rare and can sell for quite a bit.

If you want to get into a video format with piles of unique and rare titles, go with a laserdisc player. You can pick up discs cheap and the quality is much nicer than VHS. Plus people tend not to know wtf it is. 'CDs the same size as Vinyl?! wtf?!'

I still have both. The Jaguar's games are just sheer awful. The 32X has some good arcade ports like Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, Afterburner and a really good home version of Mortal Kombat 2.

doovdela wrote: »
    I still use a radio/cd player...:)

I wouldn't call cds or dvds out of date quite yet :P

I wouldn't consider them out of date yet either!:cool:

doovdela wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider them out of date yet either!:cool:

But.... but the thread is about out of date tech things and stuff...

• Advertisement

I know it is! :p

Advertisement