Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still own or use a VCR or another out of date Tech?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

doovdela wrote: »
    I know it is! :p

I understand now ;) Thanks brain, you're so quick sometimes!

Back on topic: The pc I currently use. I've had Mr big balls for 4 years + now and he still performs really well, even with new release games. I've upgraded to a 40 inch screen though.. so I think the pc has to be next.. I've been neglecting him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

o1s1n wrote: »
    I still have both. The Jaguar's games are just sheer awful. The 32X has some good arcade ports like Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, Afterburner and a really good home version of Mortal Kombat 2.

The only game I can remember being half-way decent for the Jaguar was Doom, but that was just a straight copy from the PC version I think. Ha, do you still play both of em?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes, computer screen and tv both up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sony discman with radio.

My Dad still records programmes with a VCR.

Oh, anyone remember minidisc players?

I remember when I got mine, cost a fortune. You could fit a cd on a slightly smaller cd. It was amazing. I remember when one of my friends got one to try and keep up with me, but he got one without skip protection...

... prick :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I remember when I got mine, cost a fortune. You could fit a cd on a slightly smaller cd. It was amazing. I remember when one of my friends got one to try and keep up with me, but he got one without skip protection...

Jeez, they totally bombed. I knew of one girl who had one. That's all.

Larianne wrote: »
    Jeez, they totally bombed. I knew of one girl who had one. That's all.

I was well chuffed that I could fit 3 discs in my pocket. God they were so pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I've still got my casio calculator watch

Will time and/or maths ever go out of fashion? Who knows! ... not yet anyhow! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I've still got my casio calculator watch

Will time and/or maths ever go out of fashion? Who knows! ... not yet anyhow! :)

With the remote control? I only recently changed the battery in mine but it needs a new strap as well

eth0 wrote: »
    With the remote control? I only recently changed the battery in mine but it needs a new strap as well

I had one of them! The universal remote thingey. The buttons were so tiny you had to jam your thumbnail into them to work it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

In the bedroom I've a 32' TV with a massive back. No HD. It breaks my heart having to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Still have the consoles like the Nes, Snes, Gameboy, etc, from when they 1st came out. Still in good nick, too.

I often play games from various consoles and arcade systems going right back to the Atari age, but all that is done on new tech so I guess that doesn't count.

Still have an Mp3 player with 128MB space on it, it's the emergency USB stick when I can't find the others. :pac:

In the parent's house they still have the 2 VCRS, one of which is 30 years old, has never had a problem in it's existence and stills run perfectly fine. Outlasted every TV it was plugged into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I am typing this on a typewriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, 2 VCR's still in the house. Both TV's are the old type..the back on the main one is MASSIVE. The main computer has a flatscreen and newish mouse, but the rest of it is composed of parts from 1997 or so. A 1995 hi-fi still gets used. Almost all of the houses on my road have been robbed, they must look in the window of ours and give it up as a bad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Still have two of these. For a few years they weren't pointless at all, best way to record quality audio for voice and music if you were on a budget. However, the world moves on. Did buy one classical album on the format. Possibly my least used music purchase ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Due to an incident with the coffeegadget being accidentally kicked & smashed while washing up, and the kettle malfunctioning & fusing the house ; I am currentlyhaving to boil water in a saucepan and use instant coffee :0

Cruel & unnatural punishment ...

I can't believe this is how it used to be :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

The old and original game boy, nothing will ever beat Tetris and Zelda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone remember LaserDiscs? They were the precursor to DVDs but were the size of a vinyl album. I think I remember them being featured on Tomorrows World. They thought they were going to replace VHS the same way CDs were meant to replace cassette and vinyl. They never took off though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have a minidisc recorder, sega megadrive II, gamecube, ps2, and xbox 1 gathering dust somewhere.

Funny thing is, I currently own an xbox 360 and ps3 and dont consider myself a gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Anyone remember LaserDiscs? They were the precursor to DVDs but were the size of a vinyl album. I think I remember them being featured on Tomorrows World. They thought they were going to replace VHS the same way CDs were meant to replace cassette and vinyl. They never took off though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

Seen a player for sale at a carboot sale a few years back, had never seen them before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Still have a MiniDisc player. and a few tape decks. Theres a PS1 somewhere in the crap.
    We had a VCR but we gave it to my mother in law who still likes to tape things.

Like ALL of the Olympics opening....

And in the kitchen i use one of those stovetop espresso pot things. Makes me feel italian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Video quality on them was pretty good, sub-DVD quality. Great big meaty sleeves on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I have a pretty big collection of 8 and 16bit games and a 21" 4:3 Sony Trinitron to play them on. I don't think I'll ever get rid of those.

I've also got a couple of old SGI and Sun workstations that I should really throw out!

I still have a minidisc player stored away somewhere. It was fantastic for a brief period, a lot smaller and handier than bringing a discman and a bunch of discs with you. Once MP3 players came out it was pretty much pointless.

Still a lovely bit of hardware, Sony made very nice stuff back then, brushed metal and real nicely engineered mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

still have video's, a gameboy colour, nokia 3210, nokia 3310 and a original gameboy all working lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have an original atari 2600 in the attic, took it down a while ago and had a game of pole position with my son (14 years old). He was less than impressed - i on the other hand was like a kid on christmas morning!
    "What's that block in front" he says, "it's a racing car of course" - that was when he stormed off in disgust. :D

Edit: Just remembered - it actually has a switch on it for colour / black & white!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

My Dad has an atari 2600 from the 1970s. It still works and i grew up in the 80s playing it every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You can get just the blocky joystick now, with something like 50 games built in!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

My current phone is the Nokia 3510. My Android phone died about a year ago, and I never really got around to replacing it. The Nokia is great, I charge it once and it lasts about a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

blaze1 wrote: »
    I still have an original release 20gb xbox 360, not very old but I hold my breath every time I turn it on. :P

I have one too :D Who needs HDMI when you have component cables :p
    Sounds like a chainsaw.

Still have the original xbox full of old crap music from the days of DJ Rankin and Scooter.

VCR in the attic for the old camera videos of us at the zoo and birthdays and stuff.

Advertisement