Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Saville exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

You can't convict someone for not speaking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Neeson wrote: »
    You can't convict someone for not speaking up.
    I thought certain professions could be at least sanctioned for non-reporting of sexual abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

If you're bound by child protection legislation (which is anyone who works with children, these days)then you can be heavily sanctioned for not reporting any kind of suspected abuse. Unfortunately child protection legislation is a relatively new concept. I doubt anything similar existed in the 60s and 70s and you can't retrospectively apply it. Not least because, as we can see, everyone's going "well, I sort of suspected but I didn't really know". It would be virtually impossible to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

goat2 wrote: »
    of course they should dig him up,
    he was buried at the very top of hill in graveyard, overlooking decent people buried in that cemetary,
    now if my brother sister mother father were buried in that graveyard, i would not like him at top of hill, reminding me that he is better than all the rest down along, when he in fact should be at the bottom of the hill

Ah I see, well that makes sense. You are making an interpretation as to what being on top of the hill, or at the bottom mean.

I don't think that this is true, it is not a good reason to move his body in my opinion of course.

People seem amazed that Saville was able to do what he did, I'm not. Maybe it is becuase of my exposure to this type of material, I think the real effort should be focusing on how we can address this, and prevent this from happening on this type of scale again.

We are just wasting energy going on about how/where he is buried. If we move him, who is next?

Stroll wrote: »
    They really need to cut the bullshite with this, like seriously it's beyond a joke... if theres evidence of people involved or people who with held information wrap the scum of the earth up and press charges.

I'm obviously missing something I know, but what's the problem I'm missing??? No matter what it is how is there people standing back and letting these people get away with this

It takes time to do this correctly, and it should take as long as it takes. It is more important that the whole procedure is followed correctly; as opposed to a rush job. The risk then is something is missed or a mistake is made and a guilty person could walk free because of it.

This whole thing is going to take years to address fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's getting silly now

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itv-faces-ofcom-probe-over-silly-stunt-055234914.html
    ITV could face an Ofcom investigation after This Morning presenter Phillip Schofield handed the Prime Minister a list of alleged paedophiles live on air.

Though I wonder if OFCOM have launched any investigation into how Savile managed to and got away with molesting a girl live on air...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Actually for Halloween I dressed up in a white wig, silver tracksuit, gold medallion and smoked a cigar, It scared the ****ing **** out of the neighborhood kids.

It's getting silly now

Though I wonder if OFCOM have launched any investigation into how Savile managed to and got away with molesting a girl live on air...

I think Schofield was wrong, I like my criminals convicted by the process of law; not trail by media. I do think he should be sanctioned for his behaviour, I hope it has not interferred with any prosecutions.

I don't know was OFCOM around at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Odysseus wrote: »
    I don't know was OFCOM around at that time?

I seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

sorry if this has been posted before, but Im not going to trawl through 71 pages to see if it has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

sorry if this has been posted before, but Im not going to trawl through 71 pages to see if it has

Yeah, it has. Sick stuff, and shockingly brazen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the meecham guy has just admitted he was mistaken about lord mcalpine after seeing a photo of him
    duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Full story here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/08/mistaken-identity-tory-abuse-claim

and once again proof of the dangers of anti social media (and Newsnights slack editorial standards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

Odysseus wrote: »
    It takes time to do this correctly, and it should take as long as it takes. It is more important that the whole procedure is followed correctly; as opposed to a rush job. The risk then is something is missed or a mistake is made and a guilty person could walk free because of it.

This whole thing is going to take years to address fully.

I understand that they have a lot of knots to untangle but people have known and suppressed this for years.
    If it's at the scale which it appears, how have enough people not stepped forward with enough information to get everyone involved yet?? What were/are they all afraid off??? Losing there jobs??? Threats??? How could anyone let ANYTHING stop them from disclosing all this, like it's about kids being molested and multiple lives destroyed not someone robbing a chocolate bar in a shop or something stupid!!

Plus at this rate most involved will have led there life already by the time there caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

It's getting silly now

i cant believe that:eek::eek::eek:

what the hell were they thinking now every single person with the idea of taking the law unto themselves or "helping" the police will be all over it.
    what a media circus!! cant help but wonder are the police going to get anything done with all the media stunts being pulled
    pity the family members now wanting nothing to do with this and having to pay over and over again for a relative who is berried to keep having his grave changed to suit the current media frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Top story on Newsnight tonight is..... Newsnight. What an almighty fúck up from the BBC. As they are saying on twitter; they suppressed the Jimmy Savile programme due to lack of evidence, then broadcast the programme about McAlpine with no evidence.

Time for a Leveson style inquiry for the BBC I think.

It's funny all the same.

Really showing up how easy it is for new & old media to absorb & destroy one another.

lmfao..

Eddie Mair (BBC Newsnight presenter) - "Obviously we contacted the BBC for comment on this story but nobody from the BBC was available"

- Live on BBC 2 :o

He does not sound like a happy bunny. I reckon someone from backstage is about to rugby tackle him!

What???

Eddie Mair (the Newsnight presenter) just said "of course Newsnight wanted to get a comment from the BBC, but nobody was available". He then gave a telling stare into the camera. Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Funny all the same.

Not for Lord McAlpine.

Or anyone else that will have their reputations destroyed by twittering idiots (hiding behind 'free speech' bullsh1t) on the Internet who assume guilt with no facts.

• Advertisement

He does not sound like a happy bunny. I reckon someone from backstage is about to rugby tackle him!

Yep. I know Paxman doesn't do Fridays but he or Wark or Esler should be presenting this. Not (who I see) a second string presenter.

"Is Newsnight toast?". Says it all.

steve9859 wrote: »
    Not for Lord McAlpine.

Or anyone else that will have their reputations destroyed by twittering idiots (hiding behind 'free speech' bullsh1t) on the Internet who assume guilt with no facts.

...and the stupefied 'journalists' that are so ready to run with such unverified claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Brasseye suddenly looks like a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Only trying to catch up on this now but am I right in thinking that Meesham guy must have never googled or sought out a single picture of the man he was accusing of abusing him 30 years ago, even though he was a prominent political figure?

Only trying to catch up on this now but am I right in thinking that Meesham guy must have never googled or sought out a single picture of the man he was accusing of abusing him 30 years ago, even though he was a prominent political figure?

The problem was, I think, that he was molested by a family member of Lord McAlpine. Also, he was molested in the 70's or early 80's but wasn't shown a picture of Lord McAlpine until the 90's. He identified the picture as the molester - but there is no information whether he was shown a picture of Lord McAlpine from the 70's or a recent one. Any family resemblance may have confused him too.

It's worth noting that the original public inquiry into this said that he wasn't abused by Lord McAlpine. Yet the BBC and everyone else ignored this.

the director-general says he didn't know it was mcalpine until it became clear from twitter comments this week

some of the allegations I found online regarding the names associated with Jimmy Saville are outrageous and if found to be true would bring the entire British establishment tumbling down.. any possibility I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You found online, don't tell me - David Ike et al?

some of the allegations I found online regarding the names associated with Jimmy Saville are outrageous and if found to be true would bring the entire British establishment tumbling down.. any possibility I wonder?
    the mistake the bbc just made isn't going to help

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    You found online, don't tell me - David Ike et al?

well, senior Tory and Labour politicians whos names were brought up, prompted me to read articles on Masonic orders within government etc., I was reading about Lord McAlpine mentioned above, then Lord Robertson whos name was also in the mix, and Robertson's association with Thomas Hamilton (Dunblane), the last article I was reading was this.

Kind of makes you think, doesn't it?

Advertisement