Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

jpcarlow wrote: »
    my friend swears by the blu ray boxset

I'll take a look at it on amazon :)

College is finally coming round the corner. I'm so excited but I'm not moving up until Wednesday because my tour's not until Thursday. Curses to my late surname for arts :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Shinato wrote: »

College is finally coming round the corner. I'm so excited but I'm not moving up until Wednesday because my tour's not until Thursday. Curses to my late surname for arts :'(

Ah don't worry about when you move up, you won't be missing out on anything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

lnavalin wrote: »
    Has anyone received the email from SUSI? Or does the letter suffice?

I think I read in another thread that since nobody has their grants yet, you just need to bring the letter (or a copy I think) that says you were eligible for the second stage of the grant process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I've yet to watch the bluray versions myself, as bluray is still a novelty to me but the best way i've seen them is by putting them through a projector...good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I've yet to watch the bluray versions myself, as bluray is still a novelty to me but the best way i've seen them is by putting them through a projector...good times :)

Blu-Ray is definitely worth it for Star Wars. It's actually amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EWong

Well I'm a female so I fit under that bracket :) My marathon actually consisted of prequel and 'the clone wars.' I've only 'A New Hope,' from the original and I've not seen 'The Empire Strikes back,' or ROTJ in AGES!!! I'll need to get my hands on them methinks :)

Ahh the newer ones are good but it's the originals that are really worth watching! What're you studying in Arts if you don't mind me asking? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

So, who'll be there tomorrow? Anybody else really nervous?

EWong wrote: »
    Ahh the newer ones are good but it's the originals that are really worth watching! What're you studying in Arts if you don't mind me asking? :)

I'm doing English, History and Anthropology. Are you doing arts? I know that the vast majority of fans prefer the magic behind the original trilogy, but I first watched star wars with the phantom menace when I was eight so I didn't exactly have alot of complaints about midi-chrolians or anything like that :)

Yea, I can understand people's argument on DVD vs Blu ray but I generally go for the cheaper option of DVD.

Also on another note, I saw an ad for this on tv a few minutes ago and started smiling like a goofball Lord of the rings orchestra ... felt like I should spread the word :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

RachEnnis wrote: »
    So, who'll be there tomorrow? Anybody else really nervous?

Me! May or may not be staying for the whole day, but I'll be registering for on-campus accommodation and my course.

I'm a bit nervous too, it's probably more anticipation than anything though. Once you get up there you'll be grand, no need for worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

You will all be fine, don't worry! It's totally normal to be nervous - I guarantee everyone else there with you will be feeling the exact same. Make sure and nab as much free stuff as you can and get talking to as many people as possible. Maynooth is such a friendly college so I'm sure you will all meet some lovely people to hang around with.

And if you're around on Tuesday evening, come along to the forum beers/meetup where you can meet some more lovely people :pac: Details are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

• Advertisement

I'm doing English, History and Anthropology. Are you doing arts? I know that the vast majority of fans prefer the magic behind the original trilogy, but I first watched star wars with the phantom menace when I was eight so I didn't exactly have alot of complaints about midi-chrolians or anything like that :)

Yea, I can understand people's argument on DVD vs Blu ray but I generally go for the cheaper option of DVD.

Also on another note, I saw an ad for this on tv a few minutes ago and started smiling like a goofball Lord of the rings orchestra ... felt like I should spread the word :)
    i try to vary it...if it's something like The Men who stare at goats i go dvd, if it's something thats extremely visual then i go with blu ray

also nice find :D

i try to vary it...if it's something like The Men who stare at goats i go dvd, if it's something thats extremely visual then i go with blu ray

also nice find :D

That's pretty good reasoning... however... I'm a poor student. Food wins blu ray everytime :L Nonetheless, I really appreciate the beauty that animators do. I watched the last Harry Potter in HD and when Aberforth cast his patronus spell, it actually left me breathless.

I would love to go to that orchestra thing in the O2. Might gather up a few noothians :)

Might also see if this would be successful in Maynooth Hobbit 75th anniversary 'second breakfast.'

That's pretty good reasoning... however... I'm a poor student. Food wins blu ray everytime :L Nonetheless, I really appreciate the beauty that animators do. I watched the last Harry Potter in HD and when Aberforth cast his patronus spell, it actually left me breathless.

I would love to go to that orchestra thing in the O2. Might gather up a few noothians :)

Might also see if this would be successful in Maynooth Hobbit 75th anniversary 'second breakfast.'
    ah i know the feeling...i tend to wait a good few weeks befoe buying one and get it ex rental in Xtravision. Less than half what it would be new and seeing as it's bluray they're pretty hard to damage beyond snapping in half.

All Pixar films are great in bluray.

Ha that sounds awesome

ah i know the feeling...i tend to wait a good few weeks befoe buying one and get it ex rental in Xtravision. Less than half what it would be new and seeing as it's bluray they're pretty hard to damage beyond snapping in half.

All Pixar films are great in bluray.

Ha that sounds awesome

Ah Pixar, it makes me feel all nostalgic... all the way back to Toy Story 3. :P

Batman was great in Blu-ray aswell. However, I've yet to actually see, 'The Dark Knight Rises.' Don't hit me! No one in my school was really interested in it (Ones that I'd actually go to the cinema with). Tad annoyed because Bane is apparently a legend -_-

Batman was great in Blu-ray aswell. However, I've yet to actually see, 'The Dark Knight Rises.' Don't hit me! No one in my school was really interested in it (Ones that I'd actually go to the cinema with). Tad annoyed because Bane is apparently a legend -_-
    Ha if Toy Story 3 is nostalgia then i feel very very old lol.

Im not gonna say anythin, but i was vastly disappointed with TDKR

Oh awesome yeah i'm doing arts too, english psychology and medieval irish and celtic studies so i'll probably see you in english at least! The originals were great but i saw the phantom menace first too so i have a soft spot for the newer ones. also holyyyycr- LOTR orchestra, i don't play an instrument but thats good stuff right there!

Ha if Toy Story 3 is nostalgia then i feel very very old lol.

Im not gonna say anythin, but i was vastly disappointed with TDKR

... *facepalm*... I actually don't know what to say about that... I want to know what happened... but I also don't wanna know...

Anywho, you shouldn't feel old! We're all part of an elite group called the 90s kids! We had the original pokemon and digimon. Our disney was Hercules and 101 dalmatians while today's disney is Hannah Montanna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Although a lot of people didn't like it, I loved TDKR!! It's awesome. You should go see it by yourself, nothing beats going to the cinema on your own. You can actually concentrate on the film :p I recommend the Light House in Smithfield (in Dublin). Tickets are only €6! Cineworld on Parnell Street is good too, student tickets are cheap during the day. Vue in Liffey Valley is alright, but I think it's dear.

... *facepalm*... I actually don't know what to say about that... I want to know what happened... but I also don't wanna know...

Anywho, you shouldn't feel old! We're all part of an elite group called the 90s kids! We had the original pokemon and digimon. Our disney was Hercules and 101 dalmatians while today's disney is Hannah Montanna.
    well if you were a sixties kid you would've had 101 dalmations too :P
    today's disney does have Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls also which are both brilliant.

I left very disappointed while my friend loved it....i just expected more...it's no inception

Oh awesome yeah i'm doing arts too, english psychology and medieval irish and celtic studies so i'll probably see you in english at least! The originals were great but i saw the phantom menace first too so i have a soft spot for the newer ones. also holyyyycr- LOTR orchestra, i don't play an instrument but thats good stuff right there!

Medieval Irish and Celtic Studies? Honestly, I've not looked into it but it sounds pretty cool. Was tempted to do psychology but it's extremely competitive. Yea I don't really play an instrument either but I'm the type of person who appreciates music. (Can't stand autotune unless I've had vodka) I'll keep an eye out for you in English though. I'll just shout out Ewong until I get a reply :P

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    Although a lot of people didn't like it, I loved TDKR!! It's awesome. You should go see it by yourself, nothing beats going to the cinema on your own. You can actually concentrate on the film :p I recommend the Light House in Smithfield (in Dublin). Tickets are only €6! Cineworld on Parnell Street is good too, student tickets are cheap during the day. Vue in Liffey Valley is alright, but I think it's dear.

I looooved TDKR, thought it was great, but I could have been a little bit blinded by the fact that Tom Hardy was playing Bane and good god do I love Tom Hardy. Yeah I'd say to people never go to Liffey Valley if you can help it; the tickets are way dearer than places in town and it's all sticky and gross. Cineworld is pretty good for during the Summer cause you can get a months worths of cinema for 20 quid.

today's disney does have Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls also which are both brilliant.

I left very disappointed while my friend loved it....i just expected more...it's no inception

I'll be honest, I've never heard of Gravity Falls. Sounds like a superhero high school. (If I got that right, cyber cookie for me)

I'm actually one of the very few people who hasn't watched inception either. Don't hit me!... Again! I keep meaning to because the soundtrack is amazing!

Medieval Irish and Celtic Studies? Honestly, I've not looked into it but it sounds pretty cool. Was tempted to do psychology but it's extremely competitive. Yea I don't really play an instrument either but I'm the type of person who appreciates music. (Can't stand autotune unless I've had vodka) I'll keep an eye out for you in English though. I'll just shout out Ewong until I get a reply :P

Yeah I hadn't really thought of taking it until a few weeks ago because I knew I wanted to do English and Psychology and it seems interesting enough (bloody well hope it is anyway), i'm hoping to get into denominated psych in second year but i'd imagine thats what nearly everyone is hoping for when they're doing psychology through arts. Couldn't agree more about the me+vodka = bad music decisions, it happens to me too often to be a coincidence. I'll listen attentively for your call and answer it in kind :D

I'll be honest, I've never heard of Gravity Falls. Sounds like a superhero high school. (If I got that right, cyber cookie for me)

I'm actually one of the very few people who hasn't watched inception either. Don't hit me!... Again! I keep meaning to because the soundtrack is amazing!
    nope not a superhero high school, though disney do have a film called Sky High about that
    Gravity Falls is kinda like a more funny Adventure time meets Scooby Doo

i only saw Inception recently, and i cant get past how much i love it.

Also to bring us back OT. How is everyone set for moving up? or have folks moved already?

ah come on now everyone loved ed edd n eddy. also incpetion? don't get me started on how much i worship that film.

ah come on now everyone loved ed edd n eddy. also incpetion? don't get me started on how much i worship that film.
    Ah plank...good times with plank ha. Though it did set up unrealistic expectations for gobstoppers

Continuing to be awesome EWong

Yeah I hadn't really thought of taking it until a few weeks ago because I knew I wanted to do English and Psychology and it seems interesting enough (bloody well hope it is anyway), i'm hoping to get into denominated psych in second year but i'd imagine thats what nearly everyone is hoping for when they're doing psychology through arts. Couldn't agree more about the me+vodka = bad music decisions, it happens to me too often to be a coincidence. I'll listen attentively for your call and answer it in kind :D

Yeah, I'm not sure what the stats are for the psychology course. I think it's like the top 10%... or even less. As I said, it's extremely competitive. I did it in TY in school but didn't do any sciences at all in LC. I'm also undecided about history and anthropology for my second year, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)
    nope not a superhero high school, though disney do have a film called Sky High about that
    Gravity Falls is kinda like a more funny Adventure time meets Scooby Doo

i only saw Inception recently, and i cant get past how much i love it.

Also to bring us back OT. How is everyone set for moving up? or have folks moved already?

I actually just googled it, so no cyber cookie for me :( I remember sky high so I wasn't sure if they just did a reboot.

Also, I'm so jealous of people moving in tomorrow. I'm holding out till Wednesday. I'm hoping that the other people in my accommodation have sorted out the house rules by then and it saves me abit of hassle :P But I wanna say best of luck to everyone moving in tomorrow :)

Ah plank...good times with plank ha. Though it did set up unrealistic expectations for gobstoppers

Continuing to be awesome EWong

I know right? Gobstoppers just always seemed to be better on ed edd n eddy, they never lived up to my expectations of them. Plus i had to go to the doctors once because i honestly thought i could fit a whole one in my mouth. i could but i couldnt get it back out again :( so basically i don't like gobstoppers that much anymore.

i wouldn't exactly call it awesome i just really really like watching christopher nolan movies :/ it's a sickness i swear i need help.

I actually just googled it, so no cyber cookie for me :( I remember sky high so I wasn't sure if they just did a reboot.

Also, I'm so jealous of people moving in tomorrow. I'm holding out till Wednesday. I'm hoping that the other people in my accommodation have sorted out the house rules by then and it saves me abit of hassle :P But I wanna say best of luck to everyone moving in tomorrow :)
    Tis such a great show. excellent theme tune

You will probably have less fridge space as a result :P
    I know right? Gobstoppers just always seemed to be better on ed edd n eddy, they never lived up to my expectations of them. Plus i had to go to the doctors once because i honestly thought i could fit a whole one in my mouth. i could but i couldnt get it back out again so basically i don't like gobstoppers that much anymore.

i wouldn't exactly call it awesome i just really really like watching christopher nolan movies :/ it's a sickness i swear i need help.
    I never found any decent ones to even try that :P

he's a great film maker, i just feel like TDKR didnt make a fitting trilogy end

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not sure what the stats are for the psychology course. I think it's like the top 10%... or even less. As I said, it's extremely competitive. I did it in TY in school but didn't do any sciences at all in LC. I'm also undecided about history and anthropology for my second year, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)

yeah they're really small and i imagine that a lot of people get really competitive for the first semester but then can't be bothered after that. it sounds like something i'd do anyway. i don't really have any experience with psychology i just like to read books on the subject i guess. yeah no worries rn, you've got plenty of time to sort that stuff out!

have you spoken to anyone that'll be living with you yet? i live in the next town over so i'm really jealous of everyone who gets to move away from home for college. :)

Advertisement