Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Davidth88 wrote: »
    No because I was too busy earning money to pay for the levy on my car insurance that is a direct result of this man's gambling .

He should be behind bars .

If you're that worried Id suggest wasting less time on an internet forum :D

On an aside, bargain with your insurer when they quote you. I got more than a 10% discount last time when renewing the car insurance just by shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Listen folks..I am considerably knowledgeable and centrally involved in the Quinn case -bottom line is, the guy is a crook. Those who support him are either ill--informed or deluded. Sad indictment of a section of Irish soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Under prussure

M three wrote: »
    Sean Quinn should not be feeling sorry for himself.All that money he got to start up all those different business he got through criminal activity.Sean Quinn when he first got start he started the cement business and he started fixing prices and cartellan coustomers with the other 2 big cement companies and with the massive pricing they were getting they could well afford to go into any business he wanted with all the criminal money you got from those price fixing agreements.So I just said I would tell that story

Jesus.
    Whats the chances this will be tomorrows irish independent quinn story? They love this sort of tripe.
    This story is very interesting and if you get a chance you should go on to the Dail committees web cam and watch how they get question after question about the concrete and cement cartels and that there's and on going investagation into the industry.It is very serious for CRH,Lagan cement and Quinn cement now with the competition authority investigation.

Il Trap wrote: »
    Listen folks..I am considerably knowledgeable and centrally involved in the Quinn case -bottom line is, the guy is a crook. Those who support him are either ill--informed or deluded. Sad indictment of a section of Irish soc.
    Your dead right in saying he is a crook because if he doesn't go to jail in this case I think he definitely will go when all these competition cases are finished with him and also a lot more to go along with him to and the minum sentence for this criminal activity is 10yrs

This situation with these cartels in the construction matierals market is very serious for the goverment on giving out tenders for concrete products and especially the Asphalt tenders because with the prices inflated and all the compaines come toghter first to fix all the prices of the matierls the price will go through the roof.Asphalt is the main matierl to build the roads in this country and over the last 10yrs only there could be up to 500m alone of over charging and thats just one prouct.I could write a book on all this but what every one must remember everything you stand if your not on grass is either on readymix concrete is made from cement or Asphalt on the roads or pavivg which is also made from cement also in your house the floors are concrete the walls are blocks and the roof tiles even have cement in them and Sean Quinn is up to his neck in all these cartels because he was fined with CRH in tht north of ireland for fixing the price of precast which is also used in house buliding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

So if anyone ever wanted concrete proof as to the kind of selfish ignorant wánkers that stem from Cavan, there ya go.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Jay D wrote: »
    So if anyone ever wanted concrete proof as to the kind of selfish ignorant wánkers that stem from Cavan, there ya go.
    Make a statement like that, and you call others ignorant! You could not make it up... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Clearly y ou've forgotten this is AH ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Concrete - I see what you did there... :D

I know nothing about you or where you are from but there must be a lot of ignorant w*nkers from there if you are a representative sample..:rolleyes:

This situation with these cartels in the construction matierals market is very serious for the goverment on giving out tenders for concrete products and especially the Asphalt tenders because with the prices inflated and all the compaines come toghter first to fix all the prices of the matierls the price will go through the roof.Asphalt is the main matierl to build the roads in this country and over the last 10yrs only there could be up to 500m alone of over charging and thats just one prouct.I could write a book on all this but what every one must remember everything you stand if your not on grass is either on readymix concrete is made from cement or Asphalt on the roads or pavivg which is also made from cement also in your house the floors are concrete the walls are blocks and the roof tiles even have cement in them and Sean Quinn is up to his neck in all these cartels because he was fined with CRH in tht north of ireland for fixing the price of precast which is also used in house buliding.

Link?? Source??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

thebaz wrote: »
    just when you think it cant get worse, another 1.5 billion needed -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0801/1224321234568.html

Now much of this black hole in Quinn Insurance is down to:
    1. The splitting up and ruination of the company.
    2. Old policy clamins in wind down mode and new management being a soft touch for claims paying higher fees and compensation since its not their money and the company is bust anyway.

I personally believe that the old Quinn Insurance management would have fought more cases and settled for less compensation and legal fees.

Of course this is another gravy train for the legal profession since the tribunals have wound up they need it to maintain their extravagant fees (even the IMF said so) so that judge worried about the situation should look to his drinking buddies not adding another nail to Sean Quinn's coffin.

Easier for the judge to scapegoat the Quinns and protect his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

M three wrote: »
    If you're that worried Id suggest wasting less time on an internet forum :D

On an aside, bargain with your insurer when they quote you. I got more than a 10% discount last time when renewing the car insurance just by shopping around.

And did they forego the levy for you? Or did you still have to pay the levy that we all do now and all will have to pay for the next 15 years or so as a result of that gangsters dodgy dealings?

Now much of this black hole in Quinn Insurance is down to:
    1. The splitting up and ruination of the company.
    2. Old policy clamins in wind down mode and new management being a soft touch for claims paying higher fees and compensation since its not their money and the company is bust anyway.

No the blackhole was the reason the regulator was forced to go in - Quinn used the cash rich insurance business to fund buying Anglo shares and as cash flow for the other companies in the Group - he has freely admitted to this plus it is against the rules to not have the required money set aside plus he was repeatedly warned on this point by the regulator - Again Quinn has not contested this.

I personally believe that the old Quinn Insurance management would have fought more cases and settled for less compensation and legal fees.

Irrelevant they broke the rules at a time the whole country was screaming for proper regulation plus their agressive business model in the UK of making a loss on insurance in order to gain market share was a catastrophic one.

Of course this is another gravy train for the legal profession since the tribunals have wound up they need it to maintain their extravagant fees (even the IMF said so) so that judge worried about the situation should look to his drinking buddies not adding another nail to Sean Quinn's coffin.

Even as a conspiracy theory do you not think this is a bit far fetched??

By his own I assume you mean the Irish taxpayer - good that's his job as a Judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

stepbar wrote: »
    Did you read the plan that was produced?

At one stage the Quinns stated that all of the debt would be paid back. When they realised that the "plan" (hogwash IMO) was not acceptable to the Financial Regulator (rightly IMO) they then started to question the "legitimacy" of the debt. How do you honestly square that?

Sean Quinn also believes that the Quinn family is not liable for €2.3 billion because same debt was secured on the shares of the Quinn Group and despite the fact that the loans were taken out personally. He also constantly refers to the amount of cash that was held within Quinn Insurance as if same was available to use. Really shows his financial prowess.

In any event, the Quinn children owned the Quinn Group. Sean Quinn had no interest in same. Why did the Quinn children accept the loans from Anglo given that "Daddy" had amassed the CFD position???

I'd question the legitimacy of the debt, too, if it was based on fraudulent claims by Anglo, in all fairness.

As to the repayment plan - even if the financial regulator was correct in his decision (and I don't believe he could have foreseen what future investments the Quinn group could have made to return profits, the global market is very difficult to predict 7 years in advance) - accepting the proposal would have meant that Sean Quinn would have repaid some, or all of the money.
    Assets could then have made up the shortfall.

Instead, the Irish people were left with an insurance levy to pay for Quinn insurance, while the Company - a profitable Company - was effectively given away for €1.

Does Sean Quinn believe he is not responsible for the 2.3 Bn (disputed), because he doesn't understand that personal guarantees were given? I doubt that very much.
    I rather suspect that he believes the seizure of the Quinn group should have lessened the amount of the debt. Instead, its most profitable section was effectively given away, the debt was levelled on the Irish citizen - and the entire 2.3Bn debt is, apparently still due?
    I don't have access to the financial records of the Quinn group - but I can certainly question how that entire debt was handled by the liquidators - and it doesn't appear that the best interests of the Irish taxpayer were paramount.

As to the Quinn children accepting the loans - why did Anglo grant them?
    That's a two way street.
    Why have Anglo not been in court, yet?
    Seanie was treated with kid gloves when he arrived at Dublin airport.

Treasury Holdings have just been granted the right to be heard, before liquidators are appointed, by our judiciary.
    Why wasn't that same right applied to Sean Quinn?

If everyone is equal before the law (hah:rolleyes:) - why does a developer who engaged in shoddy building practices have a right to be heard before liquidators are appointed, while Sean Quinn wasn't given that right?

I repeat, there are many, many questions that need to be asked, and answered, before coming to anything remotely resembling an informed opinion on this whole fiasco.

Clearly y ou've forgotten this is AH ;)
    Indeed, full of the same old tired jokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

cournioni wrote: »
    Indeed, full of the same old tired jokes.

An interesting variation might be the image of Sean Quinn blasting everyone in Ireland with piss from one of his cement lorries. Maybe not........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What a pile of self serving, craw-thumping ****e. O'Toole, Ireland's favourite bandwagoner, first pulls at the heartsrtings then indulges in a bit of 'oh so intellectual anger' and then spews out his usual rethoric in an attempt to come across as a concerned 'journalist'.
    Why doesn't he and the rest of the establishment hacks, get off their arses and tell us the whole story of this sorry affair. :rolleyes: The stuff that his 'profession' have sat back and watch happen in this country for decades and not a peep from them. If we had a half decent press in this country we really wouldn't be in half the mess we are in.
    Journalists here. are the type that are content to react to news rather than do the unpopular investigative foot slog. Or like Fionnan Sheahan last night, the politically biased type, happy to became a partisan politican to attack a left wing politician....that is not his job...his job and other journalists jobs is to tell us what is really happening. But the in-pocket hacks will be content to tell us all that 'everybody knew that, even the dogs in the street' like when the Haughey story was finally exposed. Who was telling us the 'real' story about Bertie? It's much easier and feathered nest to tell us 'What a man of the people' he was than do the hard work. The info was all there. It is so easy to be a moral high grounder in hindsight. Do some f**king work O'Toole!

'Take all the money earned by Fintan O'Toole and give it to a less senationalist real journalist or save a child in Africa, or pay for the cleaning of a hospital ward....' rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

An interesting variation might be the image of Sean Quinn blasting everyone in Ireland with piss from one of his cement lorries. Maybe not........
    No need for an image, it has already been done with this new levy. ;)

Uh oh you said blast with p1ss

Answers in RED

No the blackhole was the reason the regulator was forced to go in - Quinn used the cash rich insurance business to fund buying Anglo shares and as cash flow for the other companies in the Group - he has freely admitted to this plus it is against the rules to not have the required money set aside plus he was repeatedly warned on this point by the regulator - Again Quinn has not contested this.

We know all that and it was clearly wrong what he done, however bad investment decisions are made all the time and crooked deals / movement of cash are part of big finance: Libor, HSBC taking drug money, RBS bailout etc. Quinn just does not have (in Ireland) the Terenure college, Clongowes connections, in England you need the Eton backround. He is an ordinary country guy who had a successful business without the snobbery connections for providing financial services so was never part of the club. No one can defend his actions however he is no worse that what already goes on in finance its all gambling bordering on crookery.

Irrelevant they broke the rules at a time the whole country was screaming for proper regulation plus their agressive business model in the UK of making a loss on insurance in order to gain market share was a catastrophic one.

Absolute rubbish Quinn Insurance pioneered a new way of cutting legal costs which the upper legal establishment despised: that is an indisputable FACT, Again breaking the rules of the olde boys club.

Even as a conspiracy theory do you not think this is a bit far fetched??

How may billions did the legal system skim from the Irish public in wasted tribunals that achieved nothing? You are deluded if you thing the legal system is their to serve the public, law has little to do with order and justice and more to do with enriching a small Dublin based set of individuals. The IMF said as much in a veiled attach on our system.

By his own I assume you mean the Irish taxpayer - good that's his job as a Judge.

No his own being the top barristers and solicitors where he originally came from and plays golf with at the weekend (or whatever)!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Off to a march today to support a junkie who got caught robbing a handbag on Talbot Street. He was caught on CCTV and the District Court Judge said his behaviour in Court was terrible and that he had told nothing but lies.
    Sure what do Judges know. I think Colm O'Rourke will be there today.........

Noticed this the last couple of days the independent.ie website not allowing any more comments after Quinn Related articles.

Maybe because of the support he was getting or otherwise?

What are they afraid of this is a free country, right?

Noticed this the last couple of days the independent.ie website not allowing any more comments after Quinn Related articles.

Maybe because of the support he was getting or otherwise?

What are they afraid of this is a free country, right?

How much support was he actually getting?

I couldnt imagine too many educated people would be supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i cant believe anybody would support this gambler. he provided jobs??? of course he did, he had a fortune of 7billion built up and he needed yes men to help him make this.

the funniest of all was his claim for no work for his sons, yet they were able to have a 5 star wedding in powerscourt hotel, turn up to jail in clothes and accessories worth 1000s and his part time secretary daughter in law having a 6 figure salary form a companys that are buried away from the state.

these men deserve nothing only jail and its good to see for once, that they got it.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Dell still employ 1,000 people here

And Dell were there for decades

Dell employ about 3,000 people in Ireland directly and 100s more indirectly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I personally believe that the old Quinn Insurance management would have fought more cases and settled for less compensation and legal fees
    Insurance is not about handing back as little of the cash you collected in premiums.

Insurance is about making investments with the big pile of cash until it's time to pay it back out. This is why it's worth stalling and delaying payments a little so you can make more interest, but it's not worth killing yourself to avoid payouts because it's less likely people will insure with you in the future.

donalg1 wrote: »
    How much support was he actually getting?

I couldnt imagine too many educated people would be supporting him.

Another one who has swallowed the 'media' led conspiracy to portray Quinn supporters as 'uneducated'.
    The inability or refusal to see a bigger picture or the willingness to be led by an establishment already caught out time and again, I would portray as lacking. :rolleyes:

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Another one who has swallowed the 'media' led conspiracy to portray Quinn supporters as 'uneducated'.
    The inability or refusal to see a bigger picture or the willingness to be led by an establishment already caught out time and again, I would portray as lacking. :rolleyes:

Have a read of the following and defend him then.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0731/1224321157051.html?via=mr

Maybe those supporting him would like to pay my insurance levies for me seen as they like him so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

i cant believe anybody would support this gambler. he provided jobs??? of course he did, he had a fortune of 7billion built up and he needed yes men to help him make this.

the funniest of all was his claim for no work for his sons, yet they were able to have a 5 star wedding in powerscourt hotel, turn up to jail in clothes and accessories worth 1000s and his part time secretary daughter in law having a 6 figure salary form a companys that are buried away from the state.

these men deserve nothing only jail and its good to see for once, that they got it.

Dell employ about 3,000 people in Ireland directly and 100s more indirectly.
    Well said, bunch of crooks the lot of them and bunch of gombeens and yes men/women out supporting them, no wonder the country is in the state it is!!

donalg1 wrote: »
    Have a read of the following and defend him then.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0731/1224321157051.html?via=mr

Maybe those supporting him would like to pay my insurance levies for me seen as they like him so much.

Not following the thread much are we? Pay attention or we might class you as an 'uneducated' bogger. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not following the thread much are we? Pay attention or we might class you as an 'uneducated' bogger. :rolleyes:

No I'm not following it at all just popped in there a few minutes ago to offer my two cents to the fools supporting this crook.

Are you saying that someone that defends and supports Quinn isn't in anyway silly for doing so?

Advertisement