Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonok28

With Reuben Foster landing himself in more trouble does this crystalise the thinking that the 49ers add another linebacker in the draft like Tremaine Edmunds or Roquon Smith? Fosters injury history was worrying enough but his off the field issues have made it very hard to rely upon him long term or even short term for that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Colin Coward tipped ye as dark horses for the Super Bowl next year!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

jonok28 wrote: »
    With Reuben Foster landing himself in more trouble does this crystalise the thinking that the 49ers add another linebacker in the draft like Tremaine Edmunds or Roquon Smith? Fosters injury history was worrying enough but his off the field issues have made it very hard to rely upon him long term or even short term for that matter.

It does certainly. It will be a lot clearer once we get to free agency. If the 49ers can address some of their other needs in Free agency it is very possible another first round LB is selected but they also need to address CB, Pass Rush and O-line.

JoshRosen wrote: »

You get the feeling we will be the trendy pick for the entire offseason.

I think the Eagles are in a great position to win again next year especially if Carson Wentz comes back and plays anywhere near how he played last season before getting injured. They have a great Offensive Line, Wide Receiver Corp and a Top 5 TE in Zach Ertz. 
    The 9ers are definitely trending in the right direction but I think we would need to have a stellar Free Agency and draft to even win a division title. We need a Number 1 WR, CB, OLB, Center, Left Guard and an elite Running Back and with Foster getting arrested we will need another ILB to cover our asses moving forward, not to mention we need to  add quality depth at each position incase key players get injured. I think if we draft well and maintain some cap flexibility going forward I can see the 49ers in the Superbowl by 2020.
    JoshRosen wrote: »

Free Agency on the horizon, who do you all think the 49ers will land in free agency?

I can see them going after Jimmy Graham TE, Trumaine Johnson CB, Isaiah Crowell RB and Terrelle Pryor WR. 
    Apart from Johnson, I could see the other players got for a relatively reasonable price. Graham is on the wrong side of 30 and  his best years are behind him but for 3 years $21m  I think he could be landed, Crowell could be gotten for $4-$5m a year, Pryor is coming off a terrible year so a 1 year deal for $8m  " prove it" deal like Alshon Jeffrey got would be enough to land him . Trumaine Johnson is going to be a 4 year $56m, but I could also see them waiting and seeing how the Richard Sherman situation develops.

A big turn around  be on the cards if the 9ers have a strong draft and land quality talent in Free Agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Free Agency on the horizon, who do you all think the 49ers will land in free agency?

I can see them going after Jimmy Graham TE, Trumaine Johnson CB, Isaiah Crowell RB and Terrelle Pryor WR. 
    Apart from Johnson, I could see the other players got for a relatively reasonable price. Graham is on the wrong side of 30 and  his best years are behind him but for 3 years $21m  I think he could be landed, Crowell could be gotten for $4-$5m a year, Pryor is coming off a terrible year so a 1 year deal for $8m  " prove it" deal like Alshon Jeffrey got would be enough to land him . Trumaine Johnson is going to be a 4 year $56m, but I could also see them waiting and seeing how the Richard Sherman situation develops.

A big turn around  be on the cards if the 9ers have a strong draft and land quality talent in Free Agency.

I like those picks. I think the team will test the waters with some of the more pricey talent like Robinson and Lewis but won't get drawn into a bidding war for either. Given that they had discussions with both the Broncos and Chiefs for their CBs (though never put in a firm offer) I think CB will be where they will be willing to pay for the right guy. Outside of the two you mentioned, Butler or Fuller could be targeted.

One area you didn't mention was interior line and I think there will be a signing there. At this stage Norwell looks unlikely but either Sitton or Pugh would be an upgrade, alongside the return of Garnett and drafting there.

Other position that needs to be looked at is EDGE but there are no standout candidates. I'm guessing they'll sign an under the radar FA guy and then it'll be an early focus in the draft.

Foxtrol wrote: »

I like those picks. I think the team will test the waters with some of the more pricey talent like Robinson and Lewis but won't get drawn into a bidding war for either. Given that they had discussions with both the Broncos and Chiefs for their CBs (though never put in a firm offer) I think CB will be where they will be willing to pay for the right guy. Outside of the two you mentioned, Butler or Fuller could be targeted.

One area you didn't mention was interior line and I think there will be a signing there. At this stage Norwell looks unlikely but either Sitton or Pugh would be an upgrade, alongside the return of Garnett and drafting there.

Other position that needs to be looked at is EDGE but there are no standout candidates. I'm guessing they'll sign an under the radar FA guy and then it'll be an early focus in the draft.
    I think they will address the Guard position and the Edge position in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
    I have to say I am very happy with the Free Agent signings so far. Sherman will provide leadership and experience to our secondary, McKinnan is the ideal pass catching/Speedster running back Shanahan loves and Weston Richburg is the perfect guy to protect Jimmy G. If the 9ers can add Quenton Nelson or Will Hernandez to that O Line I think Jimmy will have a monster season. I'd like to see Terrelle Pryor in at WR, his size and speed would help the 9ers greatly in the Red Zone. Lynch and Shanahan have placed the 49ers in a fantastic spot going into the draft, they can afford to take best player available going forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't know about McKinnon at all. Seems like we are paying him more than what he has shown he can do. I'm sure he'll excel in the passing game but I've never thought of him as a starting running back to be honest. Hyde wasn't really a good fit and to be honest I never thought he was giving it everything. He could have done much better than he did.

Great to get an interior O-line upgrade but I'd have been thinking more Guard than Center in that regard. Sherman might work out, might not, worth a chance but he is someone I'll have a hard time rooting for. I'm glad they didn't overpay for for Johnson or Butler though.

Still leaves us needing a guard, a pass rusher and inside line backer though. I don't see all those areas being addressed this offseason. For the draft I guess they will take Nelson if they can or else one of the 2 linebackers, Edmunds or Smith.

Longer term they will also need a tackle and a WR but it's still a medium term project.

So far, I’m satisfied with FA but it is not at all as aggressive as I expected/hoped. We probably got the best scheme fit at each of CB, C, and RB, which were all areas of need. The problem is that they all have question marks over them (eg injury returns for the first two). I wasn’t too interested in McKinnon in advance but looking at his test results he is a serious athlete (not far off Barkley on his SPARQ results). Shanahan did amazing things with Freeman and Coleman and there is potential for similar with him. I don’t see Shanahan as using a ‘starting RB’ in the traditional sense, I think he always wants guys on the field that can both catch and run. Hyde tried to do that last season (the increase in receptions than his previous years in the league was crazy) but he just didn’t fit that role. The problem is that from the games I’ve watched him in he hasn’t showed it while also costing a lot.

As has been said, the areas we need are EDGE, OG, ILB, depth CB, and a big red zone target at either WR/TE. They can all be gotten in the draft and it depends on how it plays out in what order they are targeted. It is a pity that there isn’t a second high level rusher at the top of the draft, as I can’t see Chubb falling and 9 is too early for Landry. Presume the board will be Chubb, Nelson, then one of the ILBs.

It is probably for the best that Lynch didn’t go out as aggressive as last off season as it would put even more pressure on the team. They look to be way ahead of schedule in the rebuild so there was no point in forcing it by overpaying on guys that weren’t great team/scheme fits. They are building for the long term but it doesn’t stop me from being greedy and wanting all the new toys, rather than maintaining healthy cap management.

So far, I’m satisfied with FA but it is not at all as aggressive as I expected/hoped. We probably got the best scheme fit at each of CB, C, and RB, which were all areas of need. The problem is that they all have question marks over them (eg injury returns for the first two). I wasn’t too interested in McKinnon in advance but looking at his test results he is a serious athlete (not far off Barkley on his SPARQ results). Shanahan did amazing things with Freeman and Coleman and there is potential for similar with him. I don’t see Shanahan as using a ‘starting RB’ in the traditional sense, I think he always wants guys on the field that can both catch and run. Hyde tried to do that last season (the increase in receptions than his previous years in the league was crazy) but he just didn’t fit that role. The problem is that from the games I’ve watched him in he hasn’t showed it while also costing a lot.

As has been said, the areas we need are EDGE, OG, ILB, depth CB, and a big red zone target at either WR/TE. They can all be gotten in the draft and it depends on how it plays out in what order they are targeted. It is a pity that there isn’t a second high level rusher at the top of the draft, as I can’t see Chubb falling and 9 is too early for Landry. Presume the board will be Chubb, Nelson, then one of the ILBs.

It is probably for the best that Lynch didn’t go out as aggressive as last off season as it would put even more pressure on the team. They look to be way ahead of schedule in the rebuild so there was no point in forcing it by overpaying on guys that weren’t great team/scheme fits. They are building for the long term but it doesn’t stop me from being greedy and wanting all the new toys, rather than maintaining healthy cap management.
    I've been reading a few of the beat writers for the 49ers blogs and they have said that the 49ers had always planned to be "Aggressively Prudent" meaning they will go after they guys they want hard but will not be drawn into a bidding war. They want to keep money available for all the players in the near future they have to pay like DeForrest Buckner Free Agency absolutely wasn't the place to get an Edge Rusher, the crop of guys available outside Ziggy Ansah was terrible and when he got franchise tagged it made it silly to overspend on a mediocre pass rusher. They might be able to pick up a quality one like Harold Landry, Dorrance Armstrong or  Josh Sweat in the draft but otherwise I think they will use what they have and regroup next off season and try and land one then, I don't think they are going to answer every weakness in a 12 month span.

I think the 49ers are making moves in free agency that will allow them to take best player available/best fit. If I had to guess they trade down from 9 to 15 with the Cardinals and pick up some extra early round picks and try and add as much quality depth and starter calibre players as possible. If they made that trade I think they take Harold Landry to address the EDGE position. It also wouldn't shock me if they stayed at 9 and took Roquan Smith or Trumaine Edmunds.
    I would very much agree with you that I think we are well ahead of schedule regarding the rebuild. I think we have a chance to be a  fringe playoff team this season but I think a strong off season next year with good Free Agents and Drafting and I believe we could be Superbowl contenders. Wishful thinking? maybe but I have faith in Kyle, John and Jimmy and hopefully it pays off.

• Advertisement

Despite the positive signs and clear improvements during the 0-9 run, who could have believed then the 49ers would be scheduled for 5 prime time games the following season? Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but those could easily go 3-2.

It is great to have a bit of buzz behind the team however I feel the team will get hyped too much and anything bar a play-off run will be seen as a failure. It is only year 2 of the rebuild, I’d be happy at this stage to be in contention of a wild card spot as the regular season is coming to an end, especially given how stacked the NFC is in comparison to the AFC. Obviously a lot can and will change before the start of the season. If Lynch & Co can get close to the return from the draft as last year we'll be very well positioned for the future.

Despite the positive signs and clear improvements during the 0-9 run, who could have believed then the 49ers would be scheduled for 5 prime time games the following season? Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but those could easily go 3-2.

It is great to have a bit of buzz behind the team however I feel the team will get hyped too much and anything bar a play-off run will be seen as a failure. It is only year 2 of the rebuild, I’d be happy at this stage to be in contention of a wild card spot as the regular season is coming to an end, especially given how stacked the NFC is in comparison to the AFC. Obviously a lot can and will change before the start of the season. If Lynch & Co can get close to the return from the draft as last year we'll be very well positioned for the future.
    I think Kyle and John Lynch have done well to slow down the hype train, obviously as fans we are excited and especially after the amazing end to season we can dream about the playoffs next season but I firmly believe that this is a process, I've been very pleased with the free agent acquisitions, they drafted very well last season and I have high hopes for Draft night Thursday night. I think with a good draft we could be a 9 or 10 win team this season.

Interesting developments regarding Reuben Foster. The Attorney representing his girlfriend released a statement saying that she lied  to the police about everything and that Reuben never hit her, pulled her out of the house or stopped her from calling the cops. He got the charges dropped on  having  possession of a large capacity weapon magazine and it looks likely that the charges for domestic violence will be dropped too. The NFL are still probably going to suspend him for about 4 games for possession of weed but it is legal in the state of California but he was arrested in Alabama. 

This could change the 49ers draft decision tonight. Still hoping for Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Harold Landry or to a much lesser extent Denzel Ward and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

This could change the 49ers draft decision tonight. Still hoping for Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Harold Landry or to a much lesser extent Denzel Ward and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I think we’re in a nice position in the draft, with any of those you listed or an unlikely fall by Nelson being great. I have some worries about picking Edmunds so high and him being more of a project in a non-high value position.
    One of the top 4 QBs falling or a team being keen to move up for Jackson are also possibilities which would allow us to move back a bit and hoard more picks. There are a number of players who should be around later in the first and early second who aren’t as good/valuable as those at the top but are higher need/better scheme fits for the team.

I think we’re in a nice position in the draft, with any of those you listed or an unlikely fall by Nelson being great. I have some worries about picking Edmunds so high and him being more of a project in a non-high value position.
    One of the top 4 QBs falling or a team being keen to move up for Jackson are also possibilities which would allow us to move back a bit and hoard more picks. There are a number of players who should be around later in the first and early second who aren’t as good/valuable as those at the top but are higher need/better scheme fits for the team.
    I would love to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick while still getting a quality player, that would be ideal but I think Roquan Smith especially  could help immediately. I could see Josh Rosen tumble down the draft board a little bit but I think trades will be made ahead of the 49ers for teams to ensure they get the QB they want. I can't see Lamar Jackson getting into the top 10 let alone Top 15. I think he goes in the Late teens to mid twenties. The earliest I can see him going is to the Cardinals at 15. An Ideal trade would be trading 9 to the Bills for 12, a second and third round pick if Josh Rosen is still on the board. We could still get a player we like and we get two more picks in the top 100.

Having taken some time to digest the McGlinchey pick I am starting to warm to it. Firstly, I previously slated the early pick of Barkley due to value so to be consistent I must admit that OT is definitely worthy value wise for a pick at 9. This is even more the case these days with the limitations in training making it harder to upskill low picks during their rookie contracts. McGlinchey is far from a perfect prospect but has played at both right and left side to a high level and with Joe coming to an end and the question marks around Brown, even before his injury and him hitting FA, it will likely be a need for the team very soon. Hopefully we won’t be picking as high again for a few years so why not take who they deem to be the best OT in the draft? Right now, he is not as good in pass protection as Brown (I’d say he is one of the top end guys in the league on that front) but would already be a big upgrade in the run game, being far more suited to Shanahan’s scheme. Rumours are further growing today that Brown will be moved on so getting something like a 3rd for him would add to the value of this pick.

With how the draft panned out, the players left for us that I hoped we’d pick up were Fitzpatrick, James, or Landry. For the former two we probably have more depth in the current team for their positions than at OT and the latter has slid into the 2nd round. Looks like we also got one over on the Raiders, which is always nice, given how they traded back and took an OT. We could look back in a few years being very thankful for that coin toss win.

On our division rivals; Rams have traded away every pick until around the 5th round of the 2020 draft so had a quiet night. The Cardinals were lucky the Raiders were too inept to squeeze far more out of them when moving up. I like Rosen but his injury concerns, alongside sicknote Bradford, could mean things get messy quickly for them. The Seahawks look to have made another bad off season decision. Again, I’m a fan of Penny but that is way too high for him, especially to a team with even more holes this year than last. Fingers crossed they finish the job on themselves today and trade away Earl Thomas for pittance.

The 49ers are trading Trent Brown and their fifth round pick (No. 143 overall) to the Patriots for New England’s third round pick (No. 95 overall).

Was hoping we could get our second round pick back!

Saw that trade just after I posted the above. The talk of a 2nd from the Broncos yesterday got my hopes up a bit but we lost leverage as soon as we drafted last night. Looking objectively, we didn’t really have that much leverage to begin with as it was obvious he didn’t fit in with Shanahan’s scheme and the team was never going to pay him at the end of the year. Top that off with his latest injury, the reported weight issues on arrival to the facility this year, and the general motivation questions.

Would be nice to fleece the Patriots again but I feel this trade is pretty fair.

3 3rd round picks now and 1 second. Good chance of a move up the board I'd say

Would love to give up one of the early 3rds and move up in the 2nd for an Edge. Follow that up with a CB like Meeks with the other early 3rd and a big WR with the late 3rd and I’d be very happy. I’m sure the team will do something completely different to the above.

49ers signed Tartt to a 2 year extension today. I wonder if the timing means they were holding out to see if they didn’t get McGlinchey and went with James/Fitzpatrick instead. Tartt was playing very well before he got injured last year so I’m happy with this.

• Advertisement

Overall I am pretty happy with how the 49ers drafted. A bit disappointed we didn't pick up a quality Pass Rusher or a Red Zone receiver but we have protected Jimmy, given him more weapons in Free Agency and the Draft and have restocked our secondary. 

I think during next season, Free Agency 2019 and the NFL Draft 2019 the 9ers need to address Pass Rusher, as it is I think we are going to be well below league average in terms of Sacks, If Armstead, Buckner and Thomas take a leap forward maybe the 9ers could be effective in the pass rush game but not likely as the roster is currently constructed. 

I think winning 9-11 games is realistic. It's going to be a fun and interesting season.

49ers have released the first episode of the second season of their in-house training camp hard knocks like show. Obviously keeps away from the harsher points of camp but lets you see what is going on and get to know the players a bit better.

Delighted to see both Shanahan and Lynch side by side with the players during the marine camp training. They really have been extraordinary in the turn around with the team, especially with both being so young and their first time in these roles. Aside from overpaying slightly at times when they like a guy, be it with cash or draft capital, they've taken very few wrong steps since taking charge. Can't wait for the season to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hey folks,

Can anybody tell me the best legal way to watch 49ers games this season?

Is it Sky or is there an online solution?

Thanks a million.

Edit: I say legal because dodgy laggy streams drive me crazy, i just want to watch them clearly.

Gamepass would be your best bet.

Gamepass.nfl.com

The only issue is that games that are on Sky at 6pm or 9pm on Sundays are blocked on gamepass for 24 hours, but all other games are available live and on demand. Not sure how much the 49ers will be on Sky this year but that would be the best bet for watching 49ers games.

Well, What did we think? The dream of Jimmy G going through his career unbeaten lies in ruins.

Injuries are starting to mount up. First choice RB and first choice WR both injured. Starting RG and Backup RG both injured. Starting RT, moved inside to cover G, while our O-line backups now all need to be utilised. There is also a bit of a crisis at LB, where Foster is suspended and a few injuries there also.

I thought they performed quite well under the circumstances. Offense, kind of hung in there. Struggled at times, never got anything going in the running game and left a lot of points out there due to fumbles, drops etc. Against that the Vikings are probably the best defense in football at the moment.

I thought the defense was excellent, they produced several stops that gave us a chance to tie the game late on. They limited Cooks effectiveness and overall played very well.

Overall there is a lot to take from the game but you'd hope they beat Detroit next week as they then play @ Kansas and @ Chargers which will be tough.

I thought the 9ers showed alot of heart and development against a excellent playoff caliber Vikings team. I was thrilled at Fred Warner, Mike McGlinchey and Dante Pettis first game, I think Warner and Foster are going to be fearsome when they get on the field together. McGlinchey did get caught out once or twice but he does look the part and the 9ers O line looked better than last season even with the injuries. I was delighted to see Buckner turn them QB pressures into sacks and think he is going to have a monster year. I was really impressed with George Kittle too, I think he can be a pro bowl caliber Tight End if he continues to improve.

I was disappointed with Witherspoon, Breida, Thomas and Trent Taylor. Jimmy G is going to get the most blame for the 3 interceptions but I thought he had a good game apart from that. There is alot of room for improvement and our safeties need to step up because they didn't do much last night. It is essential that the 49ers bring in an extra running back. Breida was so one dimensional last night and Morris had a relatively good game but is not an every down Back. I'd take a look at guys like Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and Jamaal Charles to see if they can offer something. All in all it was a brave performance by the 9ers and hopefully we can improve and beat the lions next week.

I definitely feel encouraged after that game - playing away to one of the top defenses and Super Bowl favourites while impacted by a glut of injuries and mistakes to only end up with an 8-point loss. It wasn’t even as if some of the Vikings players were playing below themselves, if anything that was more the 9ers.

After seeing the Lions perform on Monday night it is hard not to be very confident in the home opener on Sunday. If Shanahan was able to scheme guys open against the Vikings it could get very messy for the Lions. Obviously, a lot comes down to Garoppolo and the catchers making some of the plays they messed up on last week. Loved his Belichick style response to the questions about his performance. Very interested to see the DL can keep up the sack/pressures against the Lions, as the OL was a point of weakness for the Vikings so their performance could be misleading.

A final word for the rookies who I feel had a great start to their careers, especially being dropped into the deep end in a week 1 game. Pettis ending with the best numbers for a rookie WR, McGlinchey surviving relatively unscathed against that D after needing to play both RT and RG, and Warner putting up crazy stats through being everywhere. Future is looking very promising especially if the later draft picks start to improve and have impact like they did as the season progressed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,755 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not a niners fans but I really have a soft spot for the franchise as a whole. I mean I know the 1980s 49ers would probably be hard to replicate with the changes to salary cap and free angency and rules changes, but of all the Americas game episodes outside of this seasons one with the Eagles I watch the 49ers one most.

I just think the 1980s 49ers were a bluprint of how to have success. You had a great owner, HOF head coach, and when you go down the players that played for the team in that decade, I mean it's some of the absolute greats to ever play this game we love.

Also candlestick park withstood an earthquake.

• Advertisement

I can't wait for Foster to get back on the field, he is definitely missed. There was one moment where Coyle (I think) was attempting to chase down Cousins on a run where I am positive Foster would have ended his life if he was on the field

The damage Warner and Foster will do :D

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1040298725220921345

Advertisement