Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also 5 completions from 13 attempts - 38 yards - 0 TD's.

Kap's entire Preseason stat line, not looking good. The running game had better be very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I had limited time so put on the stats on GP and had to scroll a lot to find any completions :rolleyes: The ony plus I took from the game was Bowman's 7-2 and 2.0 on Manning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bruce Ellington 70 yard TD for anyone interested...

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/639623523321819137

All we need now is to play the chargers backups every week.

The Roster.
    http://www.scout.com/nfl/49ers/story/1583058-49ers-announce-53-man-roster

I'm a little less glum about this season's prospects.

• Advertisement

Happy with Skov making the roster, a bit on the small side but enjoyed watching him at Stanford and hope he makes a go of it.

Also happy to see White make the roster though when Jerome Simpson comes ff suspension he may get dropped. I like White better than Patton at this stage.

Still not confident to be honest. I think we are looking at 5-7 wins this season, which is the worst possible season, nothing to get excited about and nothing special in the first round of the draft.

Still, I'll be in Soldier Field for our game with the Bears so there is that to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think I'm going to be cheering on the 49ers again for the first time in quite a few seasons. Will be interesting to see if Hayne manages to become a real option at RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Trojan wrote: »
    I think I'm going to be cheering on the 49ers again for the first time in quite a few seasons. Will be interesting to see if Hayne manages to become a real option at RB.

Personally and this is just a personal opinion but I think Hayne will be one of the stand outs in this 49ers team this year, his elusiveness is going to be tough for teams to adapt to.

On punt returns or as a running back?

I don't see him getting much opportunity as a running back to be honest.

adrian522 wrote: »
    On punt returns or as a running back?

I don't see him getting much opportunity as a running back to be honest.

Initially as a special teams option but I have zero faith in Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush and Kendall Hunter to stay healthy.

• Advertisement

Yep special teams to start. Then he will get a run at RB at some stage and show that he is the man. Then more runs at RB...

Like I said on the other thread. Its not necessarily his physical impressions, which Hyde, Bush et all can probably match. He does have a 4.5 40 though!

Its his game awareness and decision making that is the differentiator. I just hope JT has that pegged and has faith

I ordered my very first NFL jersey today :)

Well this is it, no turning back now. We are where we are and I think we are in for a long season.

If we lose tonight I think we could be waiting a while to get that first win, if we win tonight who knows what sort of momentum it could generate.

Either way we are not in a very good place as a team. This was underlined by 2 former 49ers coming out with comments over the weekend

Aldon Smith:

https://twitter.com/Jimmy_Durkin/status/643224876434780160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Not sure how Aldon possibly thinks the team didn't stand up for him. He's had 5 different disciplinary issues, been in and out of rehab, had a 9 game suspension and is facing another suspension.
    "I needed new scenery. It wasn't for me," Crabtree said. "I needed a quarterback that can deliver the ball, and that was hungry like I was."

Whatever, we need a receiver that can get open and not act like a diva all the time.

Just a pity we don't play the raiders this year.

Also 3:30 is the worst possible time for a game. Probably won't kick off until closer to 4, will be 7:30ish by the time it finishes.

Need to win this one to carry momentum into the next half dozen games. 5 of which feature playoff teams from last year. Serious loss of experience at scoring positions so rookies and 2nd years need to step up.

Kaep needs to deliver. If our ground game gets traction with a score and Vikings DL on the back foot then no excuses. Kaep just needs to step up as a consistent passer as well as the odd run and bullet pass.

Rookies did well on Game Day yesterday throughout. Fingers crossed it continues this evening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Also 3:30 is the worst possible time for a game. Probably won't kick off until closer to 4, will be 7:30ish by the time it finishes.

I'm nearly viewing it as the "best" time. For a late late game that is. I can go to bed early and get a reasonably decent sleep and get up at 4 for the game, then head off to work.
    As for the game and season itself I fear the very worst. Beaten by 7+ tonight to set the tone.

Get up at 4 and you'll miss the bit we are competitive for.

Hopefully Hayne returns the opening kickoff for 6.

By the way what I hinting at earlier, if we lose tonight when do you think our first W arrives?

1. v Vikings
    2. @ Steelers
    3. @ Cardinals
    4. v Green Bay
    5. @ Giants
    6. v Ravens
    7. v Seahawks
    8. @ Rams
    9. v Falcons
    10. Bye

The pesimmist in me thinks we could be 1-8 heading into the bye. The optimist thinks maybe 4-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Get up at 4 and you'll miss the bit we are competitive for.

Hopefully Hayne returns the opening kickoff for 6.

Watching it here (Vikings fan) in South America, couldn't be better timing. MNF on ESPN kicks off with the "early" game at 6pm, late game KO at 9pm. Same deal on Sunday nights. Fox sports have coverage on Sundays so you actually get 4 games.

I'm hopeful the Vikings can get something here against you guys, but if and only if our beat up OL holds up and affords some kind protection to TB and generates something on the ground. Losing Sullivan and to a lesser extent Loadholt was horrible for us.

By the way what I hinting at earlier, if we lose tonight when do you think our first W arrives?

1. v Vikings
    2. @ Steelers
    3. @ Cardinals
    4. v Green Bay
    5. @ Giants
    6. v Ravens
    7. v Seahawks
    8. @ Rams
    9. v Falcons
    10. Bye

The pesimmist in me thinks we could be 1-8 heading into the bye. The optimist thinks maybe 4-5.

I hadn't given our schedule much attention. Jaysis, that's a horrible list.

Well, well, well. I'm so glad to have gotten that utterly wrong!

• Advertisement

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Well, well, well. I'm so glad to have gotten that utterly wrong!

Vikings were putrid .. good performance from the 9'ers though. Mr Hyde looks like he can run!

Hayne didn't have a great night, with Bush out he got some carries but coulnd't do much with them, he also fumbled a punt, and Ellington took the rest of the punt returns.

Hayne didn't have a great night, with Bush out he got some carries but coulnd't do much with them, he also fumbled a punt, and Ellington took the rest of the punt returns.

He did fumble the punt but he needs to learn what to catch and what not to catch. He also was pretty ineffective running it. Considering how much success Hyde had was a disappointing game. But if he gets time I think he can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Vikings were putrid .. good performance from the 9'ers though. Mr Hyde looks like he can run!

We, the vikings, were inexcusably brutal and looked like we had bought into all of our pre-season hype and just sort of ignored our glaring deficiencies. OL was non existant, run defence was grim, play calling not great and young TB looked like a rabbit in the headlights at times.

Well done SF, put us back in our box, out muscled us and generally exploited every weakness we had!

That DPI call though!...really screamed at the tv.

Nice Video of the victory speech after Monday night...

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/643907446298185729

According to PFF the 49ers ran 46% of their offensive snaps in a 3 TE, 1 WR, 1RB formation on Monday. Only ran this formation 10 times in all of last season.

Also Kap used Play Action on 38% of dropbacks, more than any other QB, and had a QB rating of 101.7 when using PA.

Obviously implys that we need a solid running game to be successful.

This is fantastic, Aussie blooger on the guardian attempting to describe the game. Very funny.

"Quarterback fakes to throw, fakes again, runs over the line of scrimmage and falls onto his tummy lest anyone hurt him. You’d be teased in rugby league and penalised."

The whole thing is good.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/live/2015/sep/15/jarryd-hayne-san-francisco-49ers-debut-against-minnesota-vikings

Oh Dear. That was bad.

Offensive line is in a terrible state. No Pass rush to speak, secondary ripped apart.

Boldin and Davis both had bad drops. Cardinals up next who appear to be going very well.

Not much cause for optimism.

It was like the whole team lost a yard every play. I thought it was a later start and switched on GP at halftime to see 3-29 WTF?! Painful deflating watching. Kaep kept getting attacked from the left, why did we not adjust the OL to deal with that? Giving Brown a head start on man coverage was just asking for trouble too. Very hard to pick positives out of this one. Kaeps 75y TD was against a D in 2nd gear at that stage.

Having said that, the Boldin and Davis drops, Keap falling short of the line, Davis not punching through. Lots of fine margins.

• Advertisement

Please make it stop

Advertisement