Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So apparently Patrick has found God so to speak and is retiring to become more active in his church. The phrase "Jesus wept" has never felt more appropriate.

https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/574956525753499648

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

You gotta wonder what must be going through Tomsula's mind (yep we know he will know all the ins and outs) but christ its not a good start for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Sorry, but I had to chuckle. Came in to read the reaction to the Willis news, and seen this at the top of the page from one month ago:
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Things can't really get much worse at this point.

So obviously we all know who to blame here! :o

Sorry, but I had to chuckle. Came in to read the reaction to the Willis news, and seen this at the top of the page from one month ago:

So obviously we all know who to blame here! :o

I was going to point it out but I think he's suffered enough with the shock....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I'll accept my share of the blame. Saw a good gif that sums up how I'm feeling but I may get banned by Heli if I post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,645 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wonder is jim harbaugh laughing to himself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wonder is jim harbaugh laughing to himself ?

Wait till he next gets on Twitter, I'm sure he'll be laughing to tens of thousands of people!

Sorry 49ers fans.

I think everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath and at least see what happens in Free Agency and the draft before throwing anyone under the bus.

Losing Willis is a huge blow yes, but if there is one position we had a lot of depth in it was ILB.

The signing of Torrey Smith is a good move, gives Kap a deep threat and removes the necessity of taking a wide out at #15.

We could go in any direction now (including WR) or even trade out of that pick.

Or the whole thing could continue to disintegrate. BTW, do have a record for most smiths on a football team? Aldon, Justin, Torrey, Alfonso. With Garrison Smith on the practice squad. 5 Smiths, though one may retire before another arrives.

Well that would appear to be that...

Screen_Shot_2015-03-09_at_11.56.52_PM.0.png

• Advertisement

Well that would appear to be that...

Screen_Shot_2015-03-09_at_11.56.52_PM.0.png

There's no arguing with someone who is gone that deep into the cult of the hashtag.

You know things are bad when one of your starters getting arrested for domestic abuse is maybe the 4th worst thing to happen to your team that day.

I'm liking this Doom Index though.

So it all officially kicks off at 9pm our time tonight. It's going to be a painful day I feel.

So the end of an era in San Francisco with Gore signing for the Colts and Willis walking off into the sunset.

Willis cited his toe injury as a major factor in his decision, making it difficult for him to play at such a high level. He goes out as one of the all time greats. Pro Bowls in each of his first 7 seasons, DROY in 2007 and 5 All Pro selections.

Gore is also a 49er legend, I'd have loved him to come back but the 49ers need to move on at some point. The Colts are a good spot for him, I hope they can make a run at the superbowl with Gore next season or the year after. For someone who has had so many injuries in college he has had an incredible NFL career.

With these 2 and probably Justin Smith walking out the door, there is a huge loss of leadership in the team. That won't be easily replaced so I think expectations will be lower next season. Here's hoping Navarro Bowman makes a full recovery because we are going to need him next season as much for his leadership as his on-field play.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭myate

Painful day for Niners fans. Word on Bowman is that he has not passed his initial physical with the team...not a good sign. And one more bit of salt in the wound...Jimmy Graham just signed with Seattle!

Well the off season has just gone totally to ****. woke this morning to hear Chris Borland has retired after his first season. He was the one bright light from last season. I'm shocked he leaves a big hole to fill now after everything that has happened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Maybe they really don't like Tomsula..

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Reading an article there on bleacher report about our current woes, this line jumped off the page at me. Are things really this bad?????

"Keep those memories because after what is maybe the worst offseason any team has ever had, the 49ers are looking 3-13 squarely in the face"

No, not that bad at all. 49ers won't be looking at a top 3 pick in 2016 thats for sure.

Assuming he recovers Bowman is among the best linebakcers in the league.

I expect we'll draft a ILB in the mid rounds to add more depth but no need to panic. At least not yet. If however Bowman does not make a full recovery or ends up retired, released or on the NFI list then we will have serious problems at the position.

Justin Smith will likely retire also which will be another blow but at 35 it is kind of expected.

• Advertisement

CAUwKs_UkAAJnca.png

CAUwKs_UkAAJnca.png

You'll be needing this picture again.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Aldon Smith off the rails again, can't see him suiting up again. I've never seen an off-season like it. We've been decimated.

Superbowl here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

and he's gone...

ugh, what an offseason.

I do feel for niners fan as it just seems if it could go wrong this off season in terms of players it has. I saw a stat that of the 11 starting defensive players from the Super Bowl three years ago only 2 remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was Kaep aiming or just lobbing it out there in the hope that someone in White n' red would catch it :rolleyes::cool:

He only had 3 passes I think, one was a deep shot to Smith that he overthrew. Wouldn't panic on it yet anyway.

So put these in order from most damaging to least damaging:

1. Firing Harbaugh
    2. Geep Chryst as OC
    3. Mangini as DC
    3. Tomsula as HC
    4. Willis Retiring
    5. Borland Retiring
    6. Aldon Smith arrested and subsequently released
    7. Anthony Davis Retiring
    8. Justin Smith Retiring
    9. Gore/Crabtree/Culliver/Iupati etc leaving in Free Agency
    10. Ahmad Brooks getting charged with Sexual Battery (No word on suspension but doesn't look like he'll be cut)
    11. Jed Yorke.
    12. Jerome Simpson 6 game suspension
    13. Bruce Miller thing is still awaiting league action so likely suspension there too.
    14. The Grass at Levi Stadium

Have I forgotten anything? Seems like a lot has happened since the initial Harbaugh "mutual parting".

Positives of the offseason:

1. Jared Hayne
    2. Navarro Bowman getting back on the field.
    3. We may have drafted some good players. Maybe not.
    4. Torrey Smith at least has the potential to be a deep threat.

• Advertisement

So the Offensive line looks to be in a fair bit of trouble, especially on the right side. If we can't pass protect we can forget about the deep ball. Not sure we have the personnel to fix this either.

Thought this tweet was quite funny...if you're familiar with that series of really annoying ads...

https://twitter.com/DAMyers10/status/637809266594811904

Advertisement