Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Been out of the loop the last week with my newborn baby daughter ruling the roost. Caught the Cowboys dismantling the Hawks last night though opening up the division :)

Off work this week so with Eurosport 2 and Setanta Ireland both showing the Rams game, I'll be up. Assuming I can stay awake!

Crabtree not on the injury list so expecting him to step up. I fancy Cap to rush a TD. VD a doubt unfortunately.

GO 49ers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Set the alarm and got up for the second half. As good a half as they've played so far this season. Defence was rock solid, Cox had a blinder. This team ain't finished yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Defense is in a bit of trouble heading up to Denver next week I think...

Navarro Bowman
    Tramaine Brock
    Jimmie Ward
    Patrick Willis
    Glenn Dorsey
    Aldon Smith

Seems like more starters unavailable than available. If all the above are out and they could be I don't see any way we can win.

Iupati and Johnson on the offense also picked up injuries.

I fear Manning is going to destroy us if we have to blitz to get pressure. Quick somebody tell me I'm being overly pessimistic.

Manning is on form alright and will be looking for the TD record. The majority of his passes are within Cox's range. Given he should be passing a lot to keep chains going steadily, I fancy a pick or two.

D is certainly a worry though and we need to be selective about the blitz. We reached into the depth chart last night and booth O line and D lacked juice in the second half of Q4.

The real positive was Cap IMO. Passing well and enjoying himself. That unbalanced pass into the EZ off his left foot was awesome and not the first time he has done it this year. I'd like him to have a cvut himself on a short and goal with a good fake to Gore.

On the ground using Hyde on early downs and open gaps for him rather than expoect him to punch through. We have to have Gore on any big 3rd at short.

Overall we need to be much much better. Denver are hungry and have momentum.

But so do we! 3 is a streak. Lupati & Johnston not starting would be as real set back, I thought they were excellent last night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Willis and Iupati out for Sunday offically now.

Nice analysis here of Kaps TD passes from Monday night:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10/17/6994735/all-22-breakdown-colin-kaepernick-three-touchdown-passes

• Advertisement

All 3 were excellent passes. Cool breakdown there. I was so blown away by Kaep's second TD throw that I forgot about Crabtree's route for his....NICE!

That's bad news re: Lupati & Willis. Can't say I'm optimistic about this one.

Oh Dear. That was just embarrassing.

I was expecting a loss but that was much worse than I expected.

Only mitigating factor is there were a lot of injuries and we picked up more last night, but the defense got absolutely shredded.

Daniel Kilgore gets added to the list, likely out for the year.

Tramaine Brock returned but didn't look ready and got taken apart by Manning.

There was little to no pass rush. There were receivers wide open on most every play. We get gashed in the run game.

We seemed to give up shortly after half time.

On offense it wasn't much better. We got nothing going early in the run game and proceeded to abandon it completely. Kap looked ok for a while but was let down by Crabtree, Davis and Boldin all dropping passes. The fact that there was no run game at all meant it was inevitable that we would come undone eventually. Kap missed Lloyd for what would have been a big TD, threw a predictable pick, and we then conceded a big TD going the other way. Game over.

We head to the bye and we need to get things figured out. Yes there were a lot of injuries but we should have been better than that.

Playcalling was poor I feel, timeouts were wasted and Harbaugh had another pointless challenge that left us over 6 mins of the first half with no timeouts.

Positives? I don't really see any. Brock got some game time and Kap made some nice throws. Aaron Lynch looked good at times ans Anthony Davis returned. That's about it.

Coming out of the bye we have:

Rams(h)
    @ Saints
    @Giants
    Washington(h)

Realistically we now need to win all of those games before facing Seattle in 2 of the following 3 weeks and finishing with San Diego and Arizona at home.

Injuries/Suspensions from what I can see:

Offense:

Kilgore - Likely out for the year
    Iupati - Hopefully back for week 9

Defense:
    Bowman - Should return in the 2nd half of the season but remains to be seen what impact he can have this season, unlikely he gets back to 100% before January I'm afraid/
    Aldon Smith- Scheduled to return for week 11 @ Giants and is really needed. Media reports that he may be back early, would certainly be welcome.
    Glenn Dorsey - On IR designated to return, would be a welcome bit of depth of the defensive line if he could get back.
    Chris Culliver - Not sure on this injury, hoepfully he returns after the bye.
    Jimmie Ward -Same as the above 2.
    Patrick Willis - Toe injury, no real feeling on when he will return, hard to see us making the playoffs if his absence is extended.

One last positive, I'm not sure too many teams could do much without the players we are missing so hopefully things will improve.

Just watched it now since I fell asleep last night.

Oh Dear!

No words, chapeau Manning!
    At least the Seahawks were turned over again

Nice summary there adrian522.

Willis absence is significant
    Davis dropping passes is significant

49ers have their bye week this week, this is a week I'm usually a bit indifferent about. 49ers really need their bye though, after suffering a humiliating loss to the Broncos and with so many injuries they need to get healthy and get a few things figured out.

Our schedule looks a lot more manageable from here on in. Rams at home before going on the road to New Orleans and New York looks tough but all those games are winnable. We then get Washington,Seattle at home and Oakland on the road. So 3 weeks without leaving the bay area, Seattle on the road and finish with 2 home games (San Diego and Arizona). As I said tough but manageable.

Probably need to go 8-1 or 7-2 from here at worst to be honest. Those last 2 games look a lot tougher now than when the schedule came out but they are both at home.

I agree. Bye week needed to regroup and heal injuries. We would need to be practically playoff sorted ahead of those 2 games or at worst needing a win from one of them. NFC west was the toughest division last year with 42 total wins from the 4 teams. Significantly more than any other division. On current form 8-1 is wishful thinking though. 7-2 hopeful and would get WC playoff. 6-3 is likely and likely missing playoffs too :(

• Advertisement

God bless Chris Borland! We got the W, somehow.

W
    Woohoo!
    Thanks be to Jesus, there is light

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Guys its not going to happen , the defence is missing NB and PW and I know Borland is a revelation but only against the run. The defence is like a sponge against any quality QBs . Cox was really annoying me against the saints. Brees could do what he wanted for most of the game.

DRice wrote: »
    Guys its not going to happen , the defence is missing NB and PW and I know Borland is a revelation but only against the run. The defence is like a sponge against any quality QBs . Cox was really annoying me against the saints. Brees could do what he wanted for most of the game.
    But aldon smith is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

smith back has really put the ****s up the giants offense. But Borland is doing it again this game.

Eli is doing his utmost to help get us over the line here.

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Eli is doing his utmost to help get us over the line here.

certainly helping us out but once again we aren't making the best of the opportunities he's giving us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was never overly worried in that game because I knew the D would stop the Giants. But good jesus the 9ers offence is just terrible. I thought coming into the season that they would be picking up the slack from an injured/suspended defence but the D has stepped up massively again. The corners were the obvious weak point but they've played very well for the most part - they've given up too many big plays but compared to how I expected them to play they've been great. With Boldin, Crabtree, Davis and Johnson as receivers they should be doing a hell of a lot better. The two games against the Hawks will define the season, but if the 9ers have any real playoff aspirations they should be looking for a 2-0 there cause the Seahawks are not great this year. I fear we'll be relying on the Cardinals dropping back massively and I'm not sure that is going to happen

Was Kaep throwing with his eyes closed :confused:

Utterly abysmal performance. TD has been a misnomer this season. 1 catch from a slant was his contribution :rolleyes: Thanks to the D we didn't have more scores racked up.

Stale, was the word.

Likelihood of turning them over on the return, meh!

Was Kaep throwing with his eyes closed :confused:

Utterly abysmal performance. TD has been a misnomer this season. 1 catch from a slant was his contribution :rolleyes: Thanks to the D we didn't have more scores racked up.

Stale, was the word.

Likelihood of turning them over on the return, meh!

There has certainly been comments made about him regressing in some aspects

• Advertisement

That was his worst game as a 49er I think. The issues in the past have been to do with bad offensive line play or receivers dropping passes but last Thursday Kap's throws were just way off. Really inaccurate. He threw 2 picks right to Sherman. Receiver had no chance at either of those passes.

i expect him to be better on sunday, make better decisions and make better throws. Hopefully the playcalling will improve also and we can get the run game going.

Well this is embarrassing....

R60pgnW.0.0.jpg

FFS 3 delays of game. Kap really needs to improve his time management. yeah I know its obvious but he does it way too often.

Tippex wrote: »
    FFS 3 delays of game. Kap really needs to improve his time management. yeah I know its obvious but he does it way too often.

Fixed your post there. He's been terrible the last 2 games, not helped out by the offensive line and poor play calling but at this point needs to take responsibility for his own terrible performances.

You can make excuses for the Seahawks performance given thw quality of that defense but last night they played a team who conceeded 50+ to the Rams.

It's going to get worse before it gets better too with 3 quality teams left on the schedule.

A lot of blame needs to go to Harbaugh, Ballke and Jed Yorke. Not sure what has gone on but it seems like all 3 are acting like children, part of their job is to maintain a professional relationship with others in the organisation bt it seems like it is more about ego's than about winning games.

The season is done now so I'm just looking for as high a draft pick as possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thankfully that win has put the Titans into 2nd place in the draft.. Happy with that tbh but massively surprised

adrian522 wrote: »
    Fixed your post there. He's been terrible the last 2 games, not helped out by the offensive line and poor play calling but at this point needs to take responsibility for his own terrible performances.

You can make excuses for the Seahawks performance given thw quality of that defense but last night they played a team who conceeded 50+ to the Rams.

It's going to get worse before it gets better too with 3 quality teams left on the schedule.

A lot of blame needs to go to Harbaugh, Ballke and Jed Yorke. Not sure what has gone on but it seems like all 3 are acting like children, part of their job is to maintain a professional relationship with others in the organisation bt it seems like it is more about ego's than about winning games.

The season is done now so I'm just looking for as high a draft pick as possible.

All very true. The media reports of the goings on about the Harbaugh contract is ridiculous and has have to have had an effect on the players. I really did not think earlier on in the season that things could get worse but christ they have steadily got worse. I was actually expecting Kap to be pulled from the game.

Thoughts on the following players who become Free Agents after this season?

Extend? Release? Franchise Tag?

QB Blaine Gabbert
    QB Josh Johnson
    RB Frank Gore

WR Michael Crabtree
    WR Brandon Lloyd
    WR Kassim Osgood
    TE Garrett Celek (RFA)
    LG Mike Iupati
    DE Demarcus Dobbs
    DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (EFA)
    OLB Dan Skuta
    ILB Michael Wilhoite (RFA)
    CB Chris Culliver

CB Chris Cook
    CB Perrish Cox
    LS Kyle Nelson

Key players are in bold, of those I'd like to see Culliver and Cox brought back.

Crabtree if he will agree to a deal that represents his actual play not his own sense of how good he is. Something tells me he'll test free agency.

Iupati I imagine will go. Brandon Thomas was drafted last time with a view to next season, Iupati has had a bad season but someone will overpay him in Free Agency.

I fear Gore will be gone as well, he has slowed down a lot this year, he could come back on a cheap contract I guess but he may play elsewhere next season as well.

Justin Smith may also retire even though he has 1 more year on his contract.

The QB situation is a mess too, neither of those QB's are competent backups so they should both be gone next season.

Can't say I'm exactly confident about the game today.

kaps throws are so inaccurate. don't know what's going on with him

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    kaps throws are so inaccurate. don't know what's going on with him

He def needs to forget about this season. (he is lucky not to have been replaced on more than one occassion)
    Really worried about the off season now.
    If Harbaugh goes, who goes too?

Advertisement