Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's at times like this that I am literally filled with joy that the world is steadily giving less and less of a f*ck about whatever hangups your imaginary friend has with sex.

If you want to have your sex life dictated by the constraints of bronze-age mythology, knock yourself out. It must really upset you that it's becoming less acceptable for you and yours to impose those constraints on others, but that's not an idea that troubles me one iota.

If people want to have sex with whatever, thats their prerogative. Thats not the issue. The issue is demanding that we all agree that its perfectly fine, and in the context here, insist that they teach our children that its perfectly fine. You will notice that the man in questions sexual behaviour is not my issue, but rather his insistance on preaching to children that its perfectly fine. I am fully aware that I live in a world of various views and beliefs, some I agree with, others I don't. Being a tolerant guy, I accept it. However, there is a difference between accepting that a teachers sexual preference is his business, and a teacher insisting on teaching pupils that his sexual behaviour is perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

JimiTime wrote: »
    If people want to have sex with whatever, thats their prerogative. Thats not the issue. The issue is demanding that we all agree that its perfectly fine, and in the context here, insist that they teach our children that its perfectly fine. You will notice that the man in questions sexual behaviour is not my issue, but rather his insistance on preaching to children that its perfectly fine. I am fully aware that I live in a world of various views and beliefs, some I agree with, others I don't. Being a tolerant guy, I accept it. However, there is a difference between accepting that a teachers sexual preference is his business, and a teacher insisting on teaching pupils that his sexual behaviour is perfectly fine.
    Sorry, I fail to see how it's wrong to preach to children about equality and differing sexualities, but to preach to children that anything other than heterosexuality is perfectly fine.

Seriously?

And it's whoever, Jimi, not whatever people want to have sex with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

"whatever" ... Nice dehumanisation there.

Also, homosexuality IS fine. It is perfectly fine. It is right and proper that children are taught that.

• Moderators Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why is it the responsibility of the school to ensure that children remain in their respective religious bubbles? What is so terrible about children learning about the various sexualities and relationships that exist in society? Why not let them and then can have discussions about what they learn with their parents? Crazy I know, parents actually parenting? Where will the madness end?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The issue is demanding that we all agree that its perfectly fine, and in the context here, insist that they teach our children that its perfectly fine.
    The subtle point you're refusing to acknowledge is that your beliefs constitute bigotry, and you are demanding not only that children be taught bigotry, but that anyone who tells children that it's OK not to be bigots be punished for doing so.

I'm aware that you don't consider your beliefs to be bigotry; apparently it's OK to be a complete dick towards your fellow human beings if a magic book tells you to.

I happen to think that a world with fewer bigoted dicks in it would be a better world, and as such I'm all in favour of children being taught the simple fact that it's OK to be gay.

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Oh boy. I have so many problems with your post, I'll have to just focus on your first sentence.

No. Just no. He was honest enough a person to tell the children he's gay. Promote his politik? What does that even MEAN in this context? The man told children he's gay, that's all. It's criminal to even think that's wrong IMO>

Firstly, there was no need to announce that he is sexually attracted to men to his students in assembly. You spin it as 'he was honest enough', but really, the amount of times people go on about how a persons sexual habits are no-one elses business, yet you applaud a person who decides to announce it and make it into a big deal. However, the bigger issue is that he is looking to promote his sexual behaviour as acceptable. Now I understand that this is perfectly fine with those who agree with what he is promoting, but it is not ok for many, and the teacher knew this. It really does come down to the teacher using his position to promote his views to the children in his school. How would you feel if the teacher in your educate together school decided to use their position to promote Christianity?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Firstly, there was no need to announce that he is sexually attracted to men to his students in assembly. You spin it as 'he was honest enough', but really, the amount of times people go on about how a persons sexual habits are no-one elses business, yet you applaud a person who decides to announce it and make it into a big deal. However, the bigger issue is that he is looking to promote his sexual behaviour as acceptable. Now I understand that this is perfectly fine with those who agree with what he is promoting, but it is not ok for many, and the teacher knew this. It really does come down to the teacher using his position to promote his views to the children in his school. How would you feel if the teacher in your educate together school decided to use their position to promote Christianity?

What would you say if your child told you he or she was gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

lazygal wrote: »
    What would you say if your child told you he or she was gay?

He'd send them off to a gulag where they're subjected to aversion therapy, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

For a start being gay is not the same as being Christian . One is a choice the other is not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

My kids aren't in an educate together school, they went to the local RCC which is a fine community school and all that's available in the area. I get on exceptionally well with the Christianity promoting teachers (they can't help having to) and my family's atheism is accepted and indeed EXPLAINED to the other children.

As for spin, that's pretty disingenuous coming from the same person who just said it's an issue to call being gay acceptable - Which, when you get past all the twisted language you use like "promoting" instead of "telling", and "sexually attracted to men" instead of "gay", is what you are saying.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The subtle point you're refusing to acknowledge is that your beliefs constitute bigotry, and you are demanding not only that children be taught bigotry, but that anyone who tells children that it's OK not to be bigots be punished for doing so.

I'm aware that you don't consider your beliefs to be bigotry; apparently it's OK to be a complete dick towards your fellow human beings if a magic book tells you to.

I happen to think that a world with fewer bigoted dicks in it would be a better world, and as such I'm all in favour of children being taught the simple fact that it's OK to be gay.

Believe me, I acknowledge the unfortunate view that people of your view insist on calling God and all his followers bigots or whatever explicit names you choose. Even more unfortunate, is that many people still don't believe that LGBT activism will continue to turn its gaze towards people of faith and demand they assimilate to their views. The question is, what will be the punishment that you eventually demand for those who do not neglect God in favour of your views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Believe me, I acknowledge the unfortunate view that people of your view insist on calling God and all his followers bigots or whatever explicit names you choose. Even more unfortunate, is that many people still don't believe that LGBT activism will continue to turn its gaze towards people of faith and demand they assimilate to their views. The question is, what will be the punishment that you eventually demand for those who do not neglect God in favour of your views.

O there will be no demand for punishment. Bigotry is essentially illegal already. You can fill your head with all the hate you want but any discrimination will have you on the wrong side of the law.

Gas, isn't it?

Not all Christians are opposed to LGBT equality.

My kids aren't in an educate together school, they went to the local RCC which is a fine community school and all that's available in the area. I get on exceptionally well with the Christianity promoting teachers (they can't help having to) and my family's atheism is accepted and indeed EXPLAINED to the other children.

And you chose to send your children there, so I'm sure you see how the parallel is not applicable.
    As for spin, that's pretty disingenuous coming from the same person who just said it's an issue to call being gay acceptable - Which, when you get past all the twisted language you use like "promoting" instead of "telling", and "sexually attracted to men" instead of "gay", is what you are saying.

Is there something wrong with saying 'sexually attracted to men'? If you could explain how that is using 'twisted language' I'd appreciate it. Also, if a teacher tells my child that men having sex with men is ok, then that is promoting that as acceptable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

And you chose to send your children there, so I'm sure you see how the parallel is not applicable.

Is there something wrong with saying 'sexually attracted to men'? If you could explain how that is using 'twisted language' I'd appreciate it. Also, if a teacher tells my child that men having sex with men is ok, then that is promoting that as acceptable behaviour.

There are gay women too. Or is it only gay men you don't agree with?

The question is, what will be the punishment that you eventually demand for those who do not neglect God in favour of your views.

Oooh, and it's a good question. Yes, what WOULD I want to do to those who treat other people as lesser than themselves?

Well, I think tipping them off their moral high-horse through the vast weight of the public majority leaving them on the far-outer edge of opinion and policy making should be fine really. Which they're doing to themselves, all on their own-ee-o. So I'm giving a thumbs up to social isolation as punishment enough. Yay! Can't wait.....excited for the future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just bolding a few things to point out how Jimi likes to skew things, how he talks about sexual "habits" and "behaviour" as an attempt to try and make folks imagine the teacher is talking about something sordid or objectionable. Jimi constantly makes these kind of comments about "sexual appetites" as if revealing onesself to be gay or bisexual is the same as talking about the details of their sex life. It's quite dehumanizing language, reducing a person to sexual habits or appetites.

Seriously, search the word "appetite" in this thread, and you'll find a load of posts from Jimi talking in this way about gay people (as well as doing the regular Jimi tactic of comparing them all to pedophiles).

A more cynical mind might suggest that this isn't a way of trying to reframe the discussion, and say that if a person may mention to you that they are gay, and your mind immediately goes to imagining their sexual 'habits' or 'behaviour' and dwelling on what their sexual 'appetites' might be, that we have a bit of a closet-case on our hands. Only a cynical mind might suggest such a hypothetical though, so we shalln't entertain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Perhaps you could to post here the information you have at your disposal that the sacked teacher was teaching the children that he is a sexually active homosexual male having sexual congress with other homosexual males and felt that it was ok to tell that to them. I certainly haven't seen that in print. Might it be that you are making assumptions as to the teacher's sexual activity status?

Edit: I'm wondering if your views are those espoused by the Pope, that being homosexual by itself is NOT what is wrong in it's eyes, it's being a sexually- active homosexual male or female having sexual congress with other homosexuals of the same sex, or do you think his view on the topic is wrong?

Quite. You made the parallel in the first place and it was entirely inapplicable.

I certainly can explain. There is no need to say "men having sex with women" or "men having sex with men" in order to explain to a child that you are heterosexual or gay. Really.

It's just another example of you trying to make out like this is some big sex-shocker for kids, whereas if you read the article, you'll find that the teacher was supporting the children's views by telling them he was gay. A far cry from the "I have sex with men, tells teacher to small children shocker" daily mail standard from yourself.

Below is the actual context.
    I did come out at school in an assembly after a group of 11-year-olds held up a poster they made, with the heading ‘Gay is good’. It seemed like the right time to let the children know that they knew a gay person.

Oooh, and it's a good question. Yes, what WOULD I want to do to those who treat other people as lesser than themselves?

More spin I see :(
    Well, I think tipping them off their moral high-horse through the vast weight of the public majority leaving them on the far-outer edge of opinion and policy making should be fine really. Which they're doing to themselves, all on their own-ee-o. So I'm giving a thumbs up to social isolation as punishment enough. Yay! Can't wait.....excited for the future :D

And people still insist that gay marriage will just mean gay people will get married.

• Advertisement

And people still insist that gay marriage will just mean gay people will get married.

Ha! Loving the sad face Jimi. You poor, poor persecuted thing. Bad gay lobby, bad :cool::pac:

Shocking stuff. Imagine, people will disassociate themselves from people that hold views they see as wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Erm. It is acceptable behaviour. Just as a man and woman going at it is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do teachers tell kids that it's ok for a man and woman to shag? Surely they would simply educate, as opposed to forcing their opinion into the child's mind.

Gordon wrote: »
    Do teachers tell kids that it's ok for a man and woman to shag? Surely they would simply educate, as opposed to forcing their opinion into the child's mind.

Yes exactly. In order to explain heterosexuality (for example) to children, one tends not to say "well, a man and a woman have full-on penetrative intercourse, with much kissing, sucking and sometimes toys and often using every orifice available". I hope you have learned something today Jimi.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Perhaps you could to post here the information you have at your disposal that the sacked teacher was teaching the children that he is a sexually active homosexual male having sexual congress with other homosexual males and felt that it was ok to tell that to them. I certainly haven't seen that in print. Might it be that you are making assumptions as to the teacher's sexual activity status?

His sexual activity is irrelevant. If he has orgies nightly or is completely celibate it has no bearing. The issue is the promotion of homosexuality as perfectly fine and good. Like I said, that seems perfectly acceptable to those who agree with it, but there are many parents who do not want their childrens school being used as a platform to promote such an idea. Would you like to see primary schools being used to promote the idea that gay is not good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It can be objectively stated that homosexuality IS fine and good.

His sexual activity is irrelevant. If he has orgies nightly or is completely celibate it has no bearing. The issue is the promotion of homosexuality as perfectly fine and good. Like I said, that seems perfectly acceptable to those who agree with it, but there are many parents who do not want their childrens school being used as a platform to promote such an idea. Would you like to see primary schools being used to promote the idea that gay is not good?

Why do you keep using the word "promotion" in place of "calling" or "telling", or more to the point "accepting"?

Do you not see the difference between a school saying to students (some of whom are gay), "being gay is not wrong" compared to getting them "being gay is wrong"? One is supportive to students where the other isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Whoa there trigger. Where was he 'promoting homosexuality'?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement