Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Why rightly so?
    Considering they were left with egg on their face last year or the year before when they did that exact thing. Apparently no one had heard of the miracle of heredity and how two dark haired people can have a child with gasp! different coloured hair to them.
    It is no harm to check and be sure. I support their actions 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

lazygal wrote: »

Saw this on facebook, Dundalk Outcomers page, and got to thinking if it was something like this the school board was mentally seeing....
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/photographing-the-butch-women-of-san-francisco

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw that myself,
    It's disgusting on so many levels.
    She's a tomboy, not gay.
    And even she she happened to be gay, so what Ffs.
    If your religious edifice you seem intent on protecting is so fragile it needs such drastic action in the face of a teen with short hair and a black t-shirt you might want to get yourself a better faith, or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Piliger wrote: »

Do you realize the implications of what you are saying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

All families with dark haired parents and light haired children, or just the Romanian ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

It is no harm to check and be sure.

No, no....no harm AT ALL sure. I'm completely sure that if either of my sons were put in care for a day or so while I struggled to make the authorities believe they were my own flesh and blood, that it would have NO significant effect on either my feelings or their's....and clearly, we'd ALL be feeling a lot more secure in ourselves to know we could all be separated at a moment's notice. Yeah. Go state. Sock it to them families with children who look different to their parents.

Of course, this would never happen to me, as being native to Ireland, I have all my paperwork in order, ready to be inspected Sor.

All families with dark haired parents and light haired children, or just the Romanian ones?

Anyones where people make a report of suspicion and the community has a questionable history.

marienbad wrote: »
    Do you realize the implications of what you are saying ?

You're not still in infant school. I said it was 100% right and I support social workers checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You're not still in infant school. I said it was 100% right and I support social workers checking.

Checking based on what evidence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod note:

Piliger has been given a weeks holidays for persisting in condescending remarks and tone when addressing other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

Jernal wrote: »
    Mod note:

Piliger has been given a weeks holidays for persisting in condescending remarks and tone when addressing other posters.

We believe over here on the Ukraine thread that pilliger seems to be troliing

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    We believe over here on the Ukraine thread that pilliger seems to be troliing

Agnostic on threads I haven't yet read. Also we've got no moderating powers in threads that aren't in our forums. We're just ordinary posters (sigh!). Really wish we had site wide power but we don't. :( You'll have to take it up with the local mod team of whatever forum the thread you're running is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Agnostic on threads I haven't yet read. Also we've got no moderating powers in threads that aren't in our forums. We're just ordinary posters (sigh!). Really wish we had site wide power but we don't. :( You'll have to take it up with the local mod team of whatever forum the thread you're running is in.

That's heathen talk.

lazygal wrote: »
    That's heathen talk.

D'uh looks who's speaking.:D Moderates Christianity and Atheism & Agnosticism. What else could I possibly be but heathen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

D'uh looks who's speaking.:D Moderates Christianity and Atheism & Agnosticism. What else could I possibly be but heathen?

Confused?

Weary?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    Confused?

Weary?

Insane.

:pac:

Celtic druidic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Conor Burns, the gay Conservative MP for Bournemouth, may have been excommunicated by his local bishop for supporting gay marriage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10727962/Gay-marriage-MP-told-he-has-excommunicated-himself-by-voting-for-same-sex-weddings.html

He's also received a bunch of hate-mail.

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

On phone so can't quote from link.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/3/31/5568136/okcupid-asks-users-to-boycott-firefox-because-of-ceos-gay-rights

Members of Mozilla board quit due to CEO support of prop 8. Okcupid asking users to boycott Firefox.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Don't like these sort of things.

The private opinions of a employee (CEO) aren't reflective of the opinions of the organisation. Only if Mozilla had homophobic policies should people really consider these boycotts.

I don't want to set up a separate thread for what may be a short-lived item. Sean Murray is discussing with working women the decision on whether to quit their jobs due to baby showing up. For some reason, along with the mums concerned, David of Iona has been invited onto the discussion. I await developments (maybe - or not- he had a deprived childhood due to his mum working). Maybe there ought to be a separate thread, on the lines of "What David said/did today"..... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I like the bit where the Marianist representative said that encouraging mothers to take up paid work outside the home was a communist plot.

(She's not making it up, just read Marx and Engels)

It was a blast from the past. I got the impression David wanted nothing to do with her rantings........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

He knows a PR disaster when he sees one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The private opinions of a employee (CEO) aren't reflective of the opinions of the organisation.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that, given the corporate control of pretty much all aspects of government and the media, the CEO's views on any issue, especially the CEO of a highly visible company like Mozilla (it'd be worse if it were e.g. Bill Gates, it is worse when it's Murdoch), when expressed in such a way as they become public are no longer the personal views of a private citizen.

The fact of the matter is, that because a highly visible company's CEO has expressed opposition to gay marriage then politicians are going to be more likely to also oppose it, especially as the same politicians are far more interested in getting funding, backhanders and promises of future board jobs (20 hours a month for near six times the median wage for the lowest paid board members) than listening to the wishes (or better yet doing the right thing for) their employers, the nation's citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

If he donated to an anti-black group I'm sure he'd already be fired

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    If he donated to an anti-black group I'm sure he'd already be fired

There will be some sort of statment, attempting an apology. Just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Reminds me of when the GoDaddy CEO shot and killed an elephant on a safari holiday and then put a video of it up on his website.

You could argue he wasn't directly involving GoDaddy (even though he wearing GoDaddy merch while doing it) but it certainly tainted the company's reputation.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    There will be some sort of statment, attempting an apology. Just wait and see.

"If anyone was offended...."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement