Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

i would like to finish this post with an apology to any user that has ever taken offense to any of my comments and would like to reiterate my previous point that they are all just in jest.

Missing the point. It doesn't matter if they are 'in jest' - the fact that you find something inherently funny in (in this case) women is the point. Once may be a joke, endlessly is bullying. And even once is only a joke if you are not on the receiving end.

It doesn't mean that everyone has to be po-faced - there can be humour and joking but you don't know who is at the other keyboard.

A jolly, throwaway remark about ugly women who shouldn't be seen out in public (not saying you said that, just an example) is not going to improve the day of a young woman with image issues. It might just be the last straw, but the poster will never know.

This is a world away from slagging someone who goes out in pyjamas. They have a choice about what they wear, they don't have a choice about their face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

looksee wrote: »
    Missing the point. It doesn't matter if they are 'in jest' - the fact that you find something inherently funny in (in this case) women is the point. Once may be a joke, endlessly is bullying. And even once is only a joke if you are not on the receiving end.

Don't think he's really missing the point. I think the intent is very much a valid point. I've been on the receiving end (as you put it) of jokes about Dubs, the Irish, men, etc etc etc.

When they were made genuinely in jest they were taken as such. The intent matters. If no harsh intent is intended and someone chooses to disregard this and take offense anyway, then the problem is with the jestee, not the jester.
    IMO etc...

=======
    =======

It's been said, but yet again to add my voice to sentiment, 'trolling', 'personal abuse', 'hatred towards either gender' are all prohibited by the charter. If you feel one of these is going on, then report the post and the Mods, like with all reported posts, will deal with it on a case by case basis which will then be subject to the normal processes and appraisal.

If my memory serves me right I've reported posts in the past where I felt something crossed the line from 'harmless banter' into 'trolling', 'personal abuse' or 'hatred'. Some have been dealt with, and the post actioned, some haven't, where I presume whatever Mod reviewed the reported post didn't agree with my interpretation, which is fair enough.

Other than a general reminder for people to read the charter, to report posts they feel violate it, and to 'not be dicks' I don't think anything else can or should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Also can have some notification/acknowledgement when we report posts upheld/dismissed - atleast then we'd know that reporting posts is worthwhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

It became apparent to me from reading that thread that nothing outside of the current system will really work. You're straying into the realm of censorship if you say "Group X cannot be slagged off". I find some people OTT in AH but hate censorship. So, people, just accept that there are dickheads in the world and keep reporting posts that you feel cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The majority of what's posted in AH is fairly tongue in cheek, in any thread on any group in society there'll be one or two posters who take it too far, either trolling or just because they hold ridiculous views, and it's just up to others to report them, I've a suspicion they are considerably more likely to feed the trolls that hit "report post" though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

It was mental how that escalated to people posting her pics and phone number in After Hours so quickly. Ugly, bitter, bullying behaviour.
    in fairness thats a lesson to people to not post personal sh1t up on the internet.

Dont blame AH, blame the thick that gave information about herself.bet you she has locked her facebook account,twitter etc...

a good test is to make sure you have no personal cr@p up on the interwebbz is to google yourself....

apparently Im a local politician in the states and also work for a vet in canada!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

in fairness thats a lesson to people to not post personal sh1t up on the internet.

Dont blame AH, blame the thick that gave information about herself.bet you she has locked her facebook account,twitter etc...

So it's okay for people to be abusive towards her, post her phone-numbers & pictures etc, and comment on the appearance of her children just because her personal profile on FB wasn't set to private? :confused:

I don't know how people can honestly see that as being the case.

I wonder how many people would have posted the vitriol they did in that thread; if they themselves did not have the element of 'anonymity' on their side.

heh.. if Boards really wanted to crackdown on dickish behavior they could start by removing that particular privilege from users =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

So it's okay for people to be abusive towards her, post her phone-numbers & pictures etc, and comment on the appearance of her children just because her personal profile on FB wasn't set to private? :confused:
    Yes it is.put yourself out there,expect the good and the bad.It's not my fault or your's that she doesnt know how to use the internet.

and I wasnt abusive...I told her she had nice tits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Dont blame AH, blame the thick that gave information about herself.
    Ah now, you can say she was foolish, maybe even a tiny bit to blame, for making her details public, but the majority of the blame lies with those who spread her details around for the craic. Just because those details were there, doesn't mean anyone had a gun put to their head to post them on AH. Just acting the dick and possibly doing damage to the girl's life - no excuse for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

strobe wrote: »
    The intent matters.
    Yes. Yes, I think it does matter. And sometimes it's easy to discern, and unfortunately, sometimes not so easy.

I don't think I'm particularly sexist, in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not, though I will accept that like most I can occasionally be found wanting as a result of lack of thought rather than actual underlying attitudes.

I can and will tell a sexist joke though or make a sexist comment, out of pure mischief and / or to rise someone, and the women I know IRL are well used to me and will quickly put me in my place, and it's all just in fun.

I'm a bit more cautious on the 'net; I'll still do it but I will judge my moment and the context, and will make it clear that I'm taking the piss.

I'm very dubious though of posters who are one (or two) trick ponies who seem to take every opportunity to get a sly dig in, be it re: women, immigrants, gay people, whatever ... and then when challenged hide behind "it's AH!" and laugh it off as a joke and accuse everyone of being way too PC.

And it's this type of low level trollery which is very difficult for the mods of any forum to deal with, but which can gradually set a tone for a forum which is quite unpleasant and unwelcoming for many.

I think context matters too.

Some threads are very light-hearted, the subject matter is light if not positively silly, people take the piss and no-one takes it too seriously.

Other threads have a more serious intent, people want to start a genuine discussion about some element of current affairs, something that was in the news or whatever, in the context of this thread lets say about a woman who has been found to be unfairly dismissed from her job on the basis of gender.

And ten AH hard men rush in to shout "sure she should never have been let out of the kitchen anyway!", and then sit back and congratulate themselves on their sparkling wit!

And I find myself rolling my eyes and hoping that they'll cop on once their balls have dropped! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Inclusive and balance. Why do you see these as virtues? The pendulum swung too far and it will only be restored to true equilibrium by letting the movement move.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes. Yes, I think it does matter. And sometimes it's easy to discern, and unfortunately, sometimes not so easy.

I don't think I'm particularly sexist, in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not, though I will accept that like most I can occasionally be found wanting as a result of lack of thought rather than actual underlying attitudes.

I can and will tell a sexist joke though or make a sexist comment, out of pure mischief and / or to rise someone, and the women I know IRL are well used to me and will quickly put me in my place, and it's all just in fun.

I'm a bit more cautious on the 'net; I'll still do it but I will judge my moment and the context, and will make it clear that I'm taking the piss.

I'm very dubious though of posters who are one (or two) trick ponies who seem to take every opportunity to get a sly dig in, be it re: women, immigrants, gay people, whatever ... and then when challenged hide behind "it's AH!" and laugh it off as a joke and accuse everyone of being way too PC.

And it's this type of low level trollery which is very difficult for the mods of any forum to deal with, but which can gradually set a tone for a forum which is quite unpleasant and unwelcoming for many.

I think context matters too.

Some threads are very light-hearted, the subject matter is light if not positively silly, people take the piss and no-one takes it too seriously.

Other threads have a more serious intent, people want to start a genuine discussion about some element of current affairs, something that was in the news or whatever, in the context of this thread lets say about a woman who has been found to be unfairly dismissed from her job on the basis of gender.

And ten AH hard men rush in to shout "sure she should never have been let out of the kitchen anyway!", and then sit back and congratulate themselves on their sparkling wit!

And I find myself rolling my eyes and hoping that they'll cop on once their balls have dropped! :rolleyes:

AH can be very harsh as well, was reading a thread today where somebody put in a witty first reply based on a Dave Allen joke, it was funny and a true charicature of giving directions in Ireland, but just not the time to post it. Oddly enough, the joke was based on reading the article linked to in the OP and importantly, letting it sink in. Most of the other initial replies obviously just jumped to conclusions.

So, moral of the story, you can be correct in replying but still wrong, such are the nuances of AH!

I'd agree, I've posted some sexist stuff, so out of place, I'd hope it would be taken as humour. With AH I generally don't take the first page of replies to seriously, let it settle down and take its course.

You'll get the couple of posters who spout the usual crap in these type of threads. Just report as if there is a record of reports for the same stuff, it will help a mod come to a decision. Low level stuff can be hard to spot if you don't read every thread, they'll go under the radar if they aren't reported.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

No offence to the mods, but whenever I've seen the issue of sexism in AH hit FB before, Admin have usually locked the thread and (correctly) stated that the moderators of AH do their best to stamp out overt and nasty examples of sexism whenever it occurs: so why do AH moderators feel the need to start this thread? Well obviously, something has driven them to it, and I wonder what that could be.

There are hundreds of women that use AH on a regular basis. 30% or so of the forum's regulars are females and yet the only women complaining about the forum's moderation of so called sexist posts are the same nine or ten users time and time again and so, it's high time that a certain element either got with what AH is about or just stopped posting there, as they are ruining the forum for everyone else. The same faces only seem to show up when there is trouble (of the gender battle type, that is) and who will just stir some up when there isn't, as they wish there was.

Moderate the 'back to the kitchen' stuff if you want, but we all know that when ignored, that stuff goes away all by itself anyway as it's quite juvenile and boring. What really needs to be addressed by moderators though, is the feigned offence posts and those who will use AH threads to have a negative rant about the forum's attitude to sexism . Why are they allowed to do that in the middle of threads? Javaboy was always great for jumping on that type of derailment.

Strange, as these users who seem to proclaim AH as a no-go area for women, still partake in the amateur dramatics when someone posts something which they feel qualifies as just that, which shows just how disingenuous they really are and how it's all really about creating waves than any kind of true sense of offence.

To be blunt, I think there is an element on Boards with an agenda to change AH (sanatise the forum) and going by those who regularly make all the noise in this regard, it is the same tired old faces time time and time again who are guilty of it and to a degree, I am sorry to say: I think they have succeeded somewhat. Quite simply: that element has been the ruination of the forum and I couldn't care less if some of them have stripes on their shoulders. They are trouble and have no grasp of what AH is or is supposed to be and if they do, they don't like it.

It's the one forum on Boards where the sexes can have some banter on many issues (gender ones just being a fraction of them) that they can't control. They want to be able to though, which is what all this is truly about. They lick up to AH mods and claim that sexism is so much better than it used to be but if we could just do a little more (fluttering of eyelashes) then it would be the bestest forum of 'em all! Don't fall for their shite!

I recall a thread a long while back where all this same crap was dragged up, torches were lit (petitions signed) and AH was gonna be changed (whether it liked it or not) they swore it and nobody was getting in their way and within hours: a FEMALE user was infracted for saying: "Bitches be crazy!"

In my opinion (whatever that is worth here) is that AH mods moderate gender issue threads fine. If anything, female posters are more protected in AH from sexism than men are. I see a lot of 'grow-a-pair' and 'man-up' and accusations of men just being bitter, or even that they are in fact misogynists just because certain users can't deal with their opinions and yet, I see know banding together of men wanting AH mods to moderate the forum in a special way with them in mind.

tl;dr

The attack the post and not the poster rule is key in gender issue threads as if even the slightest element of users getting personal with each other was nipped in the bud as early as possible, they would never get as heated as they do. That goes triple for users calling out other users and claiming that something they have posted means they are x, y or z (those users should get a toe up the arse for not just reporting the post they had an issue with).

Last but not least:

I would like to see a ban on users whining about After Hours on After Hours.

"Typically abuse on After Hours, sure what would you expect!

or

"After Hours has hit a new low"

Such users should be quickly told to gtfo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good post from randylonghorn.

I'd agree with a lot of what Codyjarrett says too.
    There are hundreds of women that use AH on a regular basis. 30% or so of the forum's regulars are females and yet the only women complaining about the forum's moderation of so called sexist posts are the same nine or ten users time and time again and so, it's high time that a certain element either got with what AH is about or just stopped posting there, as they are ruining the forum for everyone else. The same faces only seem to show up when there is trouble (of the gender battle type, that is) and who will just stir some up when there isn't, as they wish there was.
    There's most certainly an element of this. It's not that rare that the same names hardly ever post in AH either.

We've had similar in the past in the Ladies Lounge, where you'd get opinions from some women who almost never posted in the community, moaning that "it wasn't a true reflection of women/wasn't welcoming/whatever etc". Then you'd have some blokes who seemed to be up to high do over the fact there was even an exclusive forum for women in the first place(it's not BTW we've loads of male posters and good uns too). Plus how it was sexist/not welcoming/had no tolerance for whataboutery etc. The latter crowd got to silly levels at one point, again like you note in AH only a handful of people involved set against the majority of the posters in the community and evidence was pretty lacking with both groups. Plus like you say the type tends to have a built in radar for threads they can play around in. They want the forum in their image to suit them. That's not to say any forum can't be improved, but there can be an element of "improvements" on the back of the loudest voices.
    Strange, as these users who seem to proclaim AH as a no-go area for women, still partake in the amateur dramatics when someone posts something which they feel qualifies as just that, which shows just how disingenuous they really are and how it's all really about creating waves than any kind of true sense of offence.
    They often use nebulous claims of how so many women are put off posting in AH and other forums outside boards have commented on this. Links to such a groundswell are always thin on the ground though.
    To be blunt, I think there is an element on Boards with an agenda to change AH (sanatise the forum)
    +1. Not just on this subject. I get the feeling among some that AH is a slightly embarrassing part of the Boards family. You see this even with mod warnings in other forums. The "take it to AH/This isn't AH here you know" kinda thing. That's less prevalent these days to be fair and rightfully so. AH is the most popular forum on this site. It's the gateway forum for a lot of people who stumble on Boards. It's a huge part of what makes Boards a great set of communities.

The attack the post and not the poster rule is key in gender issue threads as if even the slightest element of users getting personal with each other was nipped in the bud as early as possible, they would never get as heated as they do. That goes triple for users calling out other users and claiming that something they have posted means they are x, y or z (those users should get a toe up the arse for not just reporting the post they had an issue with).
    +1. I'd also add "get back into the kitchen/make me a sandwich" posts to the "from now on we'll be infracting for cool story bro, blasting with piss and yore ma" list
    Last but not least:

I would like to see a ban on users whining about After Hours on After Hours.

"Typically abuse on After Hours, sure what would you expect!

or

"After Hours has hit a new low"

Such users should be quickly told to gtfo!
    +1. It wouldn't be tolerated to nearly the same degree it is on other forums. Try saying that in Politics and see how long you last(rightfully).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Moderate the 'back to the kitchen' stuff if you want, but we all know that when ignored, that stuff goes away all by itself anyway as it's quite juvenile and boring.
    No it doesn't. That's why there is a list of "no more of these tired old lines or you get infracted" in the first place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Gender equality does not mean that gender identity is equal.

For example. There was a thread recently about a man who had been "raped to death" by 5 women.

If you switch gender you've got people shouting string em up. As it stood you had people posting "Niiiiice" etc.

Similarly if you switch the roles between Forrest Gump and Jenny in that movie you've got a movie about a guy who preyed on a simple minded pretty girl for sex.

Gender roles and identities are changing ever more.

One thread pointed out here indicated a girl being referred to as a slag because she was promiscuous.

That's a little bit off base in the modern world.

I'm not sure of the relevance of gender politics. The attacks on Irish women (which most definitely exist) are just dick behaviour (why do people give a toss about the kitchen stuff? It's completely light-hearted - there's no malice) and I thought there was a "Don't be a dick" rule, gender irrelevant. It's not a "women are being oppressed" thing.

And really, how is asking for an enforcement of the already-in-existence "Don't be a dick" rule seeking a change to AH culture?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Onixx wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the relevance of gender politics. The attacks on Irish women are just dick behaviour (why do people give a toss about the kitchen stuff? It's completely light-hearted - there's no malice) and I thought there was a "Don't be a dick" rule, gender irrelevant. It's not a "women are being oppressed" thing.

From my POV the "All Irish women are crap all foridn women are great" threads are on the GTFO list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'd probably be one of the posters who jumps in on many of those threads. The ones I genuinely have a problem with are the ones directed specifically at Irish women because they're never ever light-hearted, they're filled with malice and always turn nasty. They're the ones I usually (probably stupidly) get involved in, hoping to be able to change the minds of some. The rest, for the most part, I can take as a joke although it's not my kind of humour. They've seemed to have tapered out recently and I find posting in there more enjoyable. I suppose I'd like to see threads like , "Irish women are...." closed as soon as they're spotted by a mod. Nothing good ever comes of them.

I'm trying my best just to ignore threads that I know will wind me up (because I'm fairly easily wound up) such as the Stag Party one...opened it, read the first few posts, wanted to throw my laptop out my window, so left it. I don't find that easy to do with the Irish women threads...

I agree there's just a (small) nasty element in AH generally though and the ones who'd make offensive comments directed at women would also have fairly extreme and uninformed opinions in many things.

I suppose all that can really be done is to report these posts but saying that, I don't report them often now because I feel I've done my share of reporting over the years and I'm probably a bit of a pain in the hole and sometimes I debate with myself whether these kinds of threads should be left open, so hopefully a few minds can be changed. And also I'm so wound up with a poster who comes out with the, "All foreign women are stunning, wonderful women while all Irish women are ugly trogs from the depths of the stinkiest sewer known to man" that I can't help myself, which is not cool either, I'll admit.

Either way, posters can't possibly deny that these, "Irish women are" threads are plain nasty and are never intended as a light-hearted joke, can they? I'll also concede though that there's only a handful of posters who I think have a genuine grievance against Irish women and they'd be the only ones who'd get on my wick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Wibbs wrote: »
    I get the feeling among some that AH is a slightly embarrassing part of the Boards family. You see this even with mod warnings in other forums. The "take it to AH/This isn't AH here you know" kinda thing. That's less prevalent these days to be fair and rightfully so.

But then again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH was the first of the boards' social forums and have spawned other similars, but still remains the top forum on boards.
    To me it's important that it's a forum for everyone and that, although the ceiling is higher then most forums, it's not a place where people get ganged up on.
    Although I'm male I do find "kitchen" and "sandwich" comments unfunny and downright mean at times. They are not memes in the same vein as "blast with piss" and "yore ma" as they are from one group to another.

No wimmins on the internet? A quarter of the AH population has boobs, I think it's time we are more welcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

From my POV the "All Irish women are crap all foridn women are great" threads are on the GTFO list.

Indeed. No argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Agree there, in my eyes they are in the same vein as Dublin vs the rest of Ireland threads which are currently a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I do be fairly vocal in the "stop with the sexism" threads, I suppose.

Here are my thoughts: AH shouldn't have to change in the slightest. We have the rules. We have the mods.
    Do we have the reports though?
    I don't know how often things get reported but I think even if they do get reported, we have a second issue.* (I'll explain a bit later)

The thing of "get back to the kitchen" and those light hearted posts aren't that bad. Annoying, like the flirting but not really offensive. Women can easily hit back with their own stuff if they just think of them. Hell, anyone can, male or female. But like one of the mods said, it's really annoying to see 3 or 4 posts with the same tired joke.
    Once is enough, 3/4/5 times is running the joke into the ground over and over. At this stage, yes they (the repeated jokes, not users) should be banned for annoyance rarther than offensive reasons.

The problem is that AH is a really easy going forum, where the rules are more lenient, which is great!
    It really is great.
    But how lenient should it be? **

But there are a few people (I'm not naming names because well, I can't remember off the top of my head and I don't want to name names anyhows) that are pretty much causing trouble by saying "jokingly" really stupid things.
    I don't think many people have an issue with jokes. I think the issue is the idiots (sorry) that are trying to take advantage of the light-hearted humour of AH to post really bad stuff.

There was a thread about the Batman incident. I made a (stupid) joke. A few others did. It got off topic and a mod made a note to stop going off topic. It was only then I realized, that was really, really stupid of me to post.
    I PM'd the mod and was told the post could stay. Here's the thing: I learned the lesson after realized I pretty much ruined an entire thread for the first few pages by being a dick (I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything). So I'm obviously going to be more careful in future.

But then you have some people that are just being dicks and (I honestly hope they do know) they know they're being dicks. They can get away with it for two reasons:

*What's sexist and what's not? Let's face it, there are hundreds of hundreds of posts in AH in a day. I don't know how many reports there are but if I just report a post and say "sexist", that's not helpful. A mod would probably say "okay... why's it sexist, gave no reason and nobody else reported it so it's fine". If more people did report it and said it was sexist then the mods might realize that type of post shouldn't be allowed.
    I'm not saying it's the mods fault at all. I am saying that I think there's a big breakdown on the communication between users and mods. The fact a few users don't seem to think reporting will do anything is an example of that.

**Okay, granted, AH is lenient. AH also goes by the site wide charter, no sexism. I think there should be a slight revamp on how the mods work on this. It mixes in with the users though. Obviously saying "you can't be mean about males/females" is going to be bad. But something as simple as "don't make sweeping generalizations" is good. No generalizations is a lovely start that really does get to the crux of the complains: generalizations about women (and men to an extent too but it's less vocal).

So I think the posters that are generally causing trouble are getting away with it becase the mods (rightfully from my understanding) don't get enough reports and even if they do, they still might not be sure if it falls under "too far" or just "only a laugh".
    AH shouldn't change, at all. The dicks should change or leave.

Because let's face it: if I say "all X race are a bunch of ******s and just steal from us" I'm hopefully getting a nice ban. If I say "all women are bitches and gold diggers" it's shot down with a lesser punishment (at least that's how I see it).

That's me being a dick to whatever race and getting punished and the other is usually considered "okay".
    I know the things don't be as extreme as that but my point is blatant racism is obvious, just like blatant sexism.

We're just accepting of one and not of the other. We shouldn't be accepting of either.

Only thing is: there's nothing wrong with someone saying they generally prefer women from wherever to Irish women as opposed to using it as a vehicle to launch into a tirade. Hope something as innocuous as that wouldn't get a disproportionate amount of focus, like the jokes.

Onixx wrote: »
    Only thing is: there's nothing wrong with someone saying they generally prefer women from wherever to Irish women as opposed to using it as a vehicle to launch into a tirade. Hope something as innocuous as that wouldn't get a disproportionate amount of focus, like the jokes.

Context!
    Plus history of said posters in the topic. How the topic is progressiong and all that nice stuff is what it comes down to.

The preference thing is easy to explain without being a muppet.
    It's very easy to say something as simple as: well the few Irish women I went out with left me with some bad experiences and the other month I started seeing this woman from Poland and I find it much easier to get along with her.

That explains why they don't prefer Irish women. Of course if you're being a muppet and say "I don't like Irish women because they're all X and I only go out with women from Poland" that's being a dick.

It's really just about context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Right - so far we might sum up a general consensus as reaching three points...well two plus one I'll throw in.
    1. Lock the Irish Women bashing threads on sight.
    2. Irish women are grand and normal *
    3. Maybe put in something in the OP of the charter about reporting posts in bigger font.
    *Other than the perfectly natural distinctive long hairy toes and copious foul flatulence caused by their inability to digest beer properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I reported this thread today for being blatantly sexist

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056713636

The reason the mod gave for closing it was because of the London Mega Thread. I was annoyed that the moderator who closed the thread did not make any comment about the sexist nature of the thread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I reported this thread today for being blatantly sexist

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056713636

The reason the mod gave for closing it was because of the London Mega Thread. I was annoyed that the moderator who closed the thread did not make any comment about the sexist nature of the thread.

That wasn't sexist.
    Offensive, maybe. But far from sexist.
    AH is mostly male filled. You have a bunch of guys staring at women playing volleyball. They enjoy it.
    It's not different the tLL/tGC attractive men/attractive women threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That wasn't sexist.
    Offensive, maybe. But far from sexist.
    AH is mostly male filled. You have a bunch of guys staring at women playing volleyball. They enjoy it.
    It's not different the tLL/tGC attractive men/attractive women threads.

I actually do think that comments like the ones below are strongly sexist. The comments are derogatory and basically about leering at female athletes.
    Any chance we could get some tit on view for the remainder of this tournament?
    They're females athletes, they've sacrificed their boobs for victory. A shame imo.
    Otherwise I'll have to make do with looking at Caroline Wozniackis arse until she loses
    And all the blokes in the world were denied an early opportunity at seeing some female australian arse first thing on a sunday morning

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement