Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grants 2012/2013 ---- any responses yet ???

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

I rang today to ask about the first payment.

The woman was clueless when the first payment and thereafter was being issued!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

cono121 wrote: »

Seriously? Are these people actually probably trained for this job? :eek: They should know this, right?

There was someone that posted a link to one college that had October 19th, November 23rd and December 21st listed for those months. I would have thought it would be the same date for everyone and every college.

Seriously? Are these people actually probably trained for this job? :eek: They should know this, right?

There was someone that posted a link to one college that had October 19th, November 23rd and December 21st listed for those months. I would have thought it would be the same date for everyone and every college.

Yea that was me who posted that last week.

I mentioned that i found these dates on the CIT website but she just laughed, ''Sorry but we were not made aware of these dates''

Its the either best well kept secret or complete lack of communication!?

I don't know what to think, I am in college in the UK, struggling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I'm in CIT and those dates are posted in the grants office down here too, so I'm not 100% sure!

Just got my confirmation over the phone, gotta wait to receive it in the post with the amount now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

YIPPPEEEE MY APPEAL WAS SUCCESSFUL!!!! I've progressed to the 2nd stage and received my checklist today.... i'll probably be waiting till June for a final decision though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Got a letter there myself with a list of stuff to send them including an course acceptance form. (Can't believe how long this took...)

Just waiting on 2 more documents in the post that I needed from the parents, should have it sent off by friday hopefully.

Hopefully this is the last stage I've to go through??? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Has anyone actually been told that they have the grant or gotten a payment?

It's nearly 6 weeks into the college year and 4 months after the application process opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

cono121 wrote: »

The college pay your grant not susi! When you get your confirmation from susi you'll fill in a bank details form in the college and they take it from there and it will go in every 4 weeks.

If you dont get your bank details in before a certain date in the month though you wont get your grant until the following month. The college usually knows what that cut off date for bank details is.

Ive sent my acceptance form back at least 3 weeks now and still not a peep from them, its an absolute joke. This is my forth year of getting the grant and ive never waited so long for it until now, not even in first year when i applied for it originally. Bring back the VEC's.. all is forgiven!

GismoBaby wrote: »
    The college pay your grant not susi! When you get your confirmation from susi you'll fill in a bank details form in the college and they take it from there and it will go in every 4 weeks.

If you dont get your bank details in before a certain date in the month though you wont get your grant until the following month. The college usually knows what that cut off date for bank details is.

While I thought it was paid by the college too because it is how it is done when applying with the VEC, people have mentioned they were told to enter their bank details on that website you apply too (grantsonline.ie). And if you enter them before you are actually approved you won't get the grant! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

Ive sent my acceptance form back at least 3 weeks now and still not a peep from them, its an absolute joke. This is my forth year of getting the grant and ive never waited so long for it until now, not even in first year when i applied for it originally. Bring back the VEC's.. all is forgiven!

With the amount of documents going back and the time it takes for them to be fully sorted, scanned and vetted, 3 weeks tends to be about how long it takes for things to be fully processed. Hopefully you should hear back soon enough.

• Advertisement

I have got my confirmation and amount I will be recieving, entered the bank details three days ago.

Off the SUSI website:
    "Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)
    Payment Process - Frequently Asked Questions

I have been awarded a maintenance grant, what happens next?
    Once you have been awarded a maintenance grant SUSI must ask the college/institution named on your Final Course Acceptance form to confirm your registration.

Upon receipt of confirmation of your registration and once you have submitted valid bank account details online, your award will be processed at the next payment date.

SUSI only pays directly into your bank account. (SUSI does not issue cheques)"

Last sentence states: SUSI only pays directly into your bank account. (SUSI does not issue cheques)

Really!?

So do I have to do anything else, I am in uni in Scotland, will I have to ask napier uni for more information regarding my grant money??

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Yeah this time you give your bank details to Susi, not to the college! Don't think it has much to do with the actual college this year at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

kaflin wrote: »

With the amount of documents going back and the time it takes for them to be fully sorted, scanned and vetted, 3 weeks tends to be about how long it takes for things to be fully processed. Hopefully you should hear back soon enough.

Try 5 months and counting for processing! It's 3 weeks since their latest mistake of telling noone they needed to fill in a final acceptance form and return it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theNewGirl

Has anyone actually been told that they have the grant or gotten a payment?

It's nearly 6 weeks into the college year and 4 months after the application process opened.

I got mine, no payment yet though, don't be too hopeful about the amount; my one was bad enough that I didn't even have to appeal personally, my local TD did it for me when we called him....if this doesn't work I am looking at about 4 to 5 thousand in debt at the end of 3 years and that's only for transport, books and eating lunch there, no hope of a social life and am absolutely lost if my laptop breaks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

dorkacle wrote: »
    Hopefully this is the last stage I've to go through??? Anyone know?

Once they check all your paperwork they will send you out a "final course acceptance forum". Basically just to make sure your in the course you said you would be. After that you just need to wait until they post you out the acceptance forum.

I got mine yesterday and went straight into the registars office today in college to notify them etc. Was issued my student card and all so I guess the fees are out of my hands now.

Worried about when i will actually be awarded the maintenance part of the grant however. Ive given them my bank details so I guess its just waiting now ?
    Taken from SUSI FaQ - Here

I have been approved for a grant, how will it be paid?

Students applying to SUSI will be paid on a monthly basis (nine instalments) by electronic funds transfer (EFT) into their own bank account. Continued payment will be contingent on verification of your attendance on the course by your college at regular intervals throughout the academic year.

The student contribution element of the fee grant will be paid directly to the college on your behalf.

Students continuing on their existing courses will continue to be paid as for the last academic year by their current grant awarding authority.

So it appears it will be paid on a monthly basis...just no mention of date :( And ideas on what will happen to the months weve missed so far ? i.e September and October

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Better question is why the renewal grants (still covered by the VEC system) are still just as slow. I've managed to rack up an astounding amount of personal debt because they can't get their fingers out of their........ and get things sorted.

Hell, give any single one of us on here a job there and we'd do things 10 times faster.

I don't think I want to go back to college next year. Thinking of just calling it quits and searching for a job (ie: Go on the dole again) at least they're prompt with payments and I won't be half as depressed over money.

EDIT: Ironically I got an email from the college saying my first payment was available about 30 minutes after this post...just goes to show you get nothing until you open your mouth and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annadaly

I applied a few days before the closing date so I know it will take a bit longer than usual. But I sent my final course acceptance form 6/7 weeeks ago and I have had no reply from SUSI since. Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay ??

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Once they check all your paperwork they will send you out a "final course acceptance forum". Basically just to make sure your in the course you said you would be. After that you just need to wait until they post you out the acceptance forum.

I got mine yesterday and went straight into the registars office today in college to notify them etc. Was issued my student card and all so I guess the fees are out of my hands now.

Worried about when i will actually be awarded the maintenance part of the grant however. Ive given them my bank details so I guess its just waiting now ?

So it appears it will be paid on a monthly basis...just no mention of date :( And ideas on what will happen to the months weve missed so far ? i.e September and October

Not sure if you've received it yet but the grant is paid October to November. It was paid on the 19th of October (Or 26th, I can't remember now) as a first payment. So you might have received that payment already. Or you might receive two later on this month. I'm due to get mine this Friday.

annadaly wrote: »
    I applied a few days before the closing date so I know it will take a bit longer than usual. But I sent my final course acceptance form 6/7 weeeks ago and I have had no reply from SUSI since. Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay ??

Have you heard anything from them? Have they asked you to send in your documents?
    I applied the first day (June 11th) and didn't hear anything until August 22nd. And I am only getting my first payment this Friday, the 23rd. So that was over two months wait to hear back from them and a wait of over four months for a first payment. You could ring up for an update and see what the strong is with your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

I got my first grant payment on the 16th Nov but was only one payment- no back date from Oct. SUSI seems to be telling everyone different things about this when they call- some say the Nov 16th payment was Oct. payment and another payment for November will be made later in the month, poss the 23rd. However, there is also a nasty rumor going around that we will not be backdated and whatever payments we missed will be made at the end of the academic year, June and July etc. Anyone know anything about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bryan06c

anyone who has received payment on a friday banking with AIB?

• Advertisement

bryan06c wrote: »
    anyone who has received payment on a friday banking with AIB?

For me its been totally random when Ive got paid. I just keep checking my bank account on a weekly basis. I have been paid every month to date though so thats a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redrozy

For me its been totally random when Ive got paid. I just keep checking my bank account on a weekly basis. I have been paid every month to date though so thats a good thing!
    Has it always been a Friday

redrozy wrote: »
    Has it always been a Friday

nope in jan i got paid on a weds ? So random...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Out of curiosity for when I'm doing mine soon, what documentation did you have to send it if your applying straight from your leaving cert? I'm sure I will qualify for the special rate too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

iDann wrote: »
    Out of curiosity for when I'm doing mine soon, what documentation did you have to send it if your applying straight from your leaving cert? I'm sure I will qualify for the special rate too?

See this
    It's worthwhile in the meantime having a look at what kind of documentary evidence you might need - see pages 42-46

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Off the top of my head,

You need the following, a letter from your school saying youve been attending for like the past 3 out of 5 years (the wya i proved residency), your P60, your P21, birth cert.

Your parents will both need there P21s and P60s unless there only social welfare which they will need a balancing statement from the social office then...

Honestly your best bet is to download the application forum. It hasnt changed much over the years (if at all), fill it out as you would when it opens, they start getting the forums now.

All forums will be needed from the 2012 tax year. But yeh, start in advance! If youve read this thread youl see it bodes well for alotta people

Off the top of my head,

You need the following, a letter from your school saying youve been attending for like the past 3 out of 5 years (the wya i proved residency), your P60, your P21, birth cert.

Your parents will both need there P21s and P60s unless there only social welfare which they will need a balancing statement from the social office then...

Honestly your best bet is to download the application forum. It hasnt changed much over the years (if at all), fill it out as you would when it opens, they start getting the forums now.

All forums will be needed from the 2012 tax year. But yeh, start in advance! If youve read this thread youl see it bodes well for alotta people

What's the story then if you have never worked, so I wouldn't have a P21 or P60?

Thanks for the help :D

What's the story then if you have never worked, so I wouldn't have a P21 or P60?

Also,do You include Child benefit for the social welfare payments?

That's fine. You need to state that. Did you look at my link above?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Also,do You include Child benefit for the social welfare payments?

There are certain social welfare payments that are not included when your income is assessed. Child benefit is one of them.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement