Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grants 2012/2013 ---- any responses yet ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maggimay

hi thanks for the replies she is going to CIT and they are adamant that she will have to pay something. the letter stating she is eligible to apply( the one that lists all the documents to be sent) apparently wont do as it's no guarntee she is eligible or so the college tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

maggimay wrote: »
    hi thanks for the replies she is going to CIT and they are adamant that she will have to pay something. the letter stating she is eligible to apply( the one that lists all the documents to be sent) apparently wont do as it's no guarntee she is eligible or so the college tell me

I'm going to CIT too and I emailed the fees office and they told me it's perfectly fine!

"The grant will cover all of the registration fee or part of it depending on your circumstances.

You can still register for your course.

Once you do this please come to the Fees Office (ground floor Administration building) and we can discuss your options with you."

They're certainly not getting any money from me, I know I'm eligible for the grant if they say anything about it, I'll go to the student's union about it.

Avox wrote: »
    I'm going to CIT too and I emailed the fees office and they told me it's perfectly fine!

"The grant will cover all of the registration fee or part of it depending on your circumstances.

You can still register for your course.

Once you do this please come to the Fees Office (ground floor Administration building) and we can discuss your options with you."

They're certainly not getting any money from me, I know I'm eligible for the grant if they say anything about it, I'll go to the student's union about it.

the problem is that i'm not sure whether or not she will get her grant and i've spoke to college twice about payment already

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

the problem is that i'm not sure whether or not she will get her grant and i've spoke to college twice about payment already

Have you looked up the income limits and checked which one you fall under?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pinksparkle

madcharlie wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, there are a large percentage of students who waiting to hear back from SUSI and wouldn't have the funds to register (i wouldn't worry). When registering , just make sure you have your grant application at hand and give it in. Trust me, you won't be the only one. What college is she going to, and someone on this thread might be able to give you first hand information ? i personally am DIT.

I am the same I am waiting on word back from both BTE/SUSI and i have nothing my registration is next tuesday and the college have said you need at least half on registration that they are bein strict on it this year. I have no documentation to show I have applied for the grant as I applied online and havent receieved anything back... what do I do???:(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Check the income limits to see if you are available.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I applied in early June myself, they sent me back a reply about 3 weeks ago saying i was unnsucessful because apparently I already have a 3rd level qualification...? I do not! (I had attended the fist year of a course a couple of years ago before, I am now going into 3rd year of a different course and its the first time I genuinely need assistance with the fee's.)

Rang them straight away about the mistake THEY made and was informed I would have t appeal as outlined within the letter even though it was a mistake.

So filled out the appeal form and sent it in straight away as there is a limit of 30 days to appeal. Haven't heard a thing since! Rang them today to make sure they even got the letter as it will be closing in on the 30 limit soon.

The guy on the phone basically told me he has no way to tell me if they got the letter an that 'if I posted it I should be fine'.

Err thanks... I did use the post to mail a letter yes....? :confused:

I then asked him could he give me any sort of time-scale in which I could expect a response or even something to acknowledge the receipt of my 'appeal' and he said he couldn't say.

So basically I wasted my time calling them... why do they even have a helpline? Seemed like the guy on the phone was completely in the dark about the status of my application, like what is the purpose of having and application number thats taken at the start of the call along with a security question if there is no information regarding the application tied to it!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

dorkacle wrote: »
    I applied in early June myself, they sent me back a reply about 3 weeks ago saying i was unnsucessful because apparently I already have a 3rd level qualification...? I do not!
    Rang them straight away about the mistake THEY made and was informed I would have t appeal as outlined within the letter even though it was a mistake.

Ugh I know they're a bit of a mess this year, hopefully it's just because its their first year and it wont be as bad next year.

I had similar problem, I switched course this year so had to apply to them instead of my local council. Applied in June, got a letter asking for documents etc, sent them back then 3 days before the deadline they tell me my application is cancelled because I should stick with my council (i.e They thought I hadnt switched courses despite the fact I made it clear in my application).

Despite it being THEIR fault, I rang the helpline a million and one times and was still told I had to start a new application and send it in which means my grant will be ridiculously delayed and the college will be nagging me for weeks about my fees.

So much love for the SUSI right now..:mad:

Check the income limits to see if you are available.
    our family circumstances are very different and income way lower this year so if they take the changed circumstances into account we should be ok but i'm told they generally go on last year's income which is why i'm so unsure about whether or not she will get a grant.

I've also just been told by the college if a parent is on social welfare payment or has a medical card they will accept a lower payment to register but they still have no figures for the amount of payment acceptable

Ugh I know they're a bit of a mess this year, hopefully it's just because its their first year and it wont be as bad next year.

I had similar problem, I switched course this year so had to apply to them instead of my local council. Applied in June, got a letter asking for documents etc, sent them back then 3 days before the deadline they tell me my application is cancelled because I should stick with my council (i.e They thought I hadnt switched courses despite the fact I made it clear in my application).

Despite it being THEIR fault, I rang the helpline a million and one times and was still told I had to start a new application and send it in which means my grant will be ridiculously delayed and the college will be nagging me for weeks about my fees.

So much love for the SUSI right now..:mad:
    THOUGHT THE WHOLE IDEA OF SUSI WAS TO ENSURE EVERY STUDENT WOULD KNOW WHETHER THEY HAD FUNDING BEFORE ACCEPTING A COLLEGE PLACE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

I know. I rang them this morning to ask if I could have a rough idea when to expect a response because of college starting next week etc. They said they had no idea, it would be weeks because they're just backlogged with applications.

Surely they could have anticipated the volume of applicants and been prepared?!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Wicklow VEC grant, got grant letter last month, think of the 18th, saying that it has been awarded

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrs.matt.bomer

maggimay- I'm in Trinity and they are very flexible about waiting to find out if you got the grant. When you are registering you just give them a letter saying you applied for it, which college does your daughter plan on going to?
    Am registering with Trinity and was told that i had to pay half the tuition fees before i can register even though I told him i was waiting for SUSI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shelly90

I'm going to be going to Carlow IT and have to register on Monday, I rang the addmissions office today and I was talking to a women who told me that if i had a letter from Susi (the one that says your eligable for the next stage and lists all the documents u need to send them) and gave them a €200 deposit, they would let me register and said I would be refunded my €200 once my grant is confirmed. I also contacted the SUSI support team, as i applied for my grant the very first day I could and send them all the documents they requested over a month ago, but even still they said it would be at least another week or two before I would get a responce from them, they said my grant was under review and that's all the information they could give me....pure joke, whats the point in applying for a grant in the month of June when its still not sorted by September!!! but everybody is in the same boat i guess so the colleges will surely have to understand?!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theNewGirl

Hey, I was looking for this thread yesterday but the internet stopped working, then I had a worry of my own, but got word today that I am at the "provisionally awarded stage" and just need to fill in another form, I filled in the application on the day it came out so those who did the same around then should be hearing soon :)

Also before this I was in contact with my local TD and was told that since no one [at the time] had heard from SUSI that most colleges would be understanding, as long as you have some sort of word from SUSI that you have at least moved passed the application stage.

Got a letter from SUSI today, thought great stuff! but it was literally just one piece of paper confirming they got my last letter of appeal... (see my OP)

It has taken them 5 weeks to confirm this... Ridiculous tbh!

Anyone else hear much back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Still nothing..................

I have rang them most days for a week or so now and its the same answer every time.

Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Got a letter from SUSI today, thought great stuff! but it was literally just one piece of paper confirming they got my last letter of appeal... (see my OP)

It has taken them 5 weeks to confirm this... Ridiculous tbh!

Anyone else hear much back yet?

got the exact same letter yesterday month after they confirmed on the phone they received my appeal saying to expect to hear from them in 30 days... I just hope it meant 30 days from when they first received but that's doubtful.

really getting frustrated with the whole thing now

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    got the exact same letter yesterday month after they confirmed on the phone they received my appeal saying to expect to hear from them in 30 days... I just hope it meant 30 days from when they first received but that's doubtful.

really getting frustrated with the whole thing now

Yeah I hope the same myself, but I won't be holding my breath!

In fairness my college hasn't pushed for payment just yet, but I doubt that is gonna last for long :(

AlexDublin wrote: »
    Still nothing..................

I have rang them most days for a week or so now and its the same answer every time.

Wait.

I gave up ringing them at this stage, the guy/s on the phone seem to be completely at a loss for any helpful information.....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Yeah I hope the same myself, but I won't be holding my breath!

In fairness my college hasn't pushed for payment just yet, but I doubt that is gonna last for long :(

I gave up ringing them at this stage, the guy/s on the phone seem to be completely at a loss for any helpful information.....

I called susi (again) today and was told that it was 30days from when they originally received the appeal, and he told me I should hear back in the next 7days and if I haven't heard by then to call back.... dreading my phone bill this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Got emailed saying that a pack is posted and I have gotten it so I will post the documents on Monday and wait for a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

you dont need your college to fill anything out on the final Acceptance form unless you are in college outside of the republic of ireland right?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Magaa wrote: »
    you dont need your college to fill anything out on the final Acceptance form unless you are in college outside of the republic of ireland right?

It doesn't seem so: http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Final-Course-Acceptance-Form.pdf.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

OK, so I recieveed an e-mail from SUSI stating that I am provisionally awarded and to submit a Final Course Acceptance Form. This could be a blonde question (am slightly wary of the grant system), but is that it ?? Once I submit this form correctly , I am eligible for the grant !

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theNewGirl

madcharlie wrote: »
    OK, so I recieveed an e-mail from SUSI stating that I am provisionally awarded and to submit a Final Course Acceptance Form. This could be a blonde question (am slightly wary of the grant system), but is that it ?? Once I submit this form correctly , I am eligible for the grant !

The fact that you have been provisionally awarded means you are eligible, but you have to wait for the form to be reviewed by SUSI before you can know for certain a) if you are getting it, and b) how much you'll get. I sent mine in almost two weeks ago and still no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Did you guys have to send in 2 documents proving independent residence? as in 2 utility bills??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Battleflag wrote: »
    Did you guys have to send in 2 documents proving independent residence? as in 2 utility bills??

It asks for three, I just sent in 3 utility bills from different years. It has to be three of the last 5 years.

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    I called susi (again) today and was told that it was 30days from when they originally received the appeal, and he told me I should hear back in the next 7days and if I haven't heard by then to call back.... dreading my phone bill this month.

Thats good news though, yet to hear anything myself but should be soon hopefully!

You'll need a grant just for the phone bill.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

leemurta wrote: »
    Battleflag wrote: »

It asks for three, I just sent in 3 utility bills from different years. It has to be three of the last 5 years.

They're two different things.
    Evidence of Independent Residence can be two utility bills, one from October 1st 2011 or before and then one that's pretty much your most recent bill.
    Evidence of Residence in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years would be three Utility bills each one from a different year.

So if you only gave three bills, and one isn't dated from before Oct 1st and one isn't very recent, then it's possible you might be asked to send back some more things to them.

Advertisement