Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grants 2012/2013 ---- any responses yet ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

How does the awarding authority determine whether I'm within 45km of the college I'm applying to? Is it 45km as the crow flies?

No its the shortest route using roads. As in they use the shortest way there not the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

much people actually hear if they got the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

much people actually hear if they got the grant?

I don't think anyone has or will until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    No its the shortest route using roads. As in they use the shortest way there not the fastest.

I just found out I live 32km away. Bugger. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

I emailed the SUSI on Friday asking them when would I hear from them in regard to weather I got awarded the grant or not.

They emailed me back this evening saying they will be getting in touch with people mid September to let them know if they have been successful or not.

Hope this puts some people's minds at ease for the next few weeks anyways.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Anyone know if they will be contacting us regarding being successful for the grant via post or email? I'd assume its post like their previous correspondence but I will be starting university in Scotland at the start of September so it won't be there to collect my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I emailed the SUSI on Friday asking them when would I hear from them in regard to weather I got awarded the grant or not.

They emailed me back this evening saying they will be getting in touch with people mid September to let them know if they have been successful or not.

Really hope they don't delay it much longer than mid-September, if it keeps dragging out, it'll probably make it impossible for a lot of people to actually get to college.. :/

Avox wrote: »
    Really hope they don't delay it much longer than mid-September, if it keeps dragging out, it'll probably make it impossible for a lot of people to actually get to college.. :/

Indeed, most colleges, if not all of them will allow you to put down a deposit of maybe 200 euro until you find out weather you have been successful or not.

I know in IT Carlow this is what they do, and if you are awarded the grant they will refund you the 200 or so euro deposit :)

Ring your college, or ask them when registering, make sure you bring your letter saying you where successful in passing the first stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Indeed, most colleges, if not all of them will allow you to put down a deposit of maybe 200 euro until you find out weather you have been successful or not.

I know in IT Carlow this is what they do, and if you are awarded the grant they will refund you the 200 or so euro deposit :)

Ring your college, or ask them when registering, make sure you bring your letter saying you where successful in passing the first stage.

Tbh I don't think they're allowed charge you anything. It all depends on the grant, you'll be provisionally enrolled at no cost, and the fact that IT Carlow charge €200 for that privilege is a bit of a disgrace!

Avox wrote: »

Tbh I don't think they're allowed charge you anything. It all depends on the grant, you'll be provisionally enrolled at no cost, and the fact that IT Carlow charge €200 for that privilege is a bit of a disgrace!

Well I'm not entirely sure. They may not. Maybe just for 1st years? As students in 2nd and onwards are known etc....

Don't take my word as the final say tho. Just saying what i've heard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MonkeyBeans

Hey guys I applied on the 30th of July and haven't gotten any word requesting additional information. I emailed them on Monday about my application and still no reply. Do they usually take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

That really isnt good enough. I need to pay my fees by the 2nd week of September like

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

rand SUSI today , and they told me about 1% had gotten a decision so far! Definitely won't hear back with definite decision till September.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

I live 37.7km away from college, only one parent working (2-3 days a week), I'm on the HEAR scheme and have a younger brother and 1 more sibling on the way. Anyone know if I'll qualify for a full grant? And if so will it be enough to cover the 2,250 we've to pay at the start of the year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

chomps_x wrote: »
    I live 37.7km away from college, only one parent working (2-3 days a week), I'm on the HEAR scheme and have a younger brother and 1 more sibling on the way. Anyone know if I'll qualify for a full grant? And if so will it be enough to cover the 2,250 we've to pay at the start of the year? :confused:

If you qualify for the grant, you get all or part of your fees paid for separately to the money you will receive whatever way they pay it out. (monthly, every three months etc)
    It all depends on your income. But living 37.7km away, you will not be in the non-adjacent rate.

To those worrying about the grant and having your fees paid for, if you have not heard by the time you start college, go to someone in your college about it. In mine, we have to show a letter to the registrar's office that says we have applied the minute we get it so they can put it on file regarding our fees. When I was in my 1st year 2009/2010, I didn't receive my grant until February of the 2010! I'm not sure how fast or slow this process is going to be compared to the VEC but I sure hope I don't have to wait until February this year.

Still no contact for me. I've been on to them twice. First time they said that it had been process and the pack would be out in 2/3 weeks. 3 weeks passed and I rang them and the guy said the pack hadn't been sent out to me. I have no idea what is going on. I applied the first day. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

That's the same as me :/ I rang then there a few weeks ago and they told my pack had been sent to me. I waited a while and nothing came so I rang again, the women on the phone told me pack hadn't been sent at all :/ however she did tell me I was eligible but I do not know whether to trust them now so I might ring again!!

People need to stop worrying about not hearing about the grant until mid-Sept. Fact is, a large number of other students will also be waiting, and frankly it's normal to be waiting a while to hear. Your college will be well used to dealing with it. If they start asking for fees, go to your student advisor/welfare officer or someone else & explain that you're waiting to hear back about the grant. UCD in my experience have always been perfectly fine with this and this year you can give them your grant application number & they will be informed by SUSI if you get the grant so no worries for you. Most colleges will be understanding.

& yes, I know you are all told that there are deadlines for these fees but trust me, if you go & speak to the right person it will be fine. SUSI wont pay the colleges until mid-late Oct. even if you are accepted because students drop out & they don't want to have paid for them. So don't stress out, you'll all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

i started a course in 2010, stayed in college for the year but didn't go back for second year and dropped out. i now have to pay fees for first year (5,630 euro).

if i am eligible for the grant, will the fees be covered by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MonkeyBeans

Question about the people who have to wait till mid September - does this include those who still have to send in additional documents (e.g. parents income, proof of address, etc) ?

pbowenroe wrote: »
    i started a course in 2010, stayed in college for the year but didn't go back for second year and dropped out. i now have to pay fees for first year (5,630 euro).

No, they wont be covered. I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of you actually getting the grant and if the student services charge is included in the 5,630 you might pay less. Hopefully someone will come along who knows a bit more.

• Advertisement

Question about the people who have to wait till mid September - does this include those who still have to send in additional documents (e.g. parents income, proof of address, etc) ?

People have been told that they will not have confirmation of the grant (after sending in all documents) until mid-sept. Could be later if you are yet to send in documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I got my letter from SUSI today about what documents to send. Thankfully, I have everything bar one thing which I'll have next week and it's ready to be sent back!

Seriously though, do not be worrying about your fees. As I have said, there has to be someone in your college you can speak to about it and in my experience too, my college has been fine about the fees once I have showed them a letter proving I had actually applied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ManÓg84

Muir wrote: »
    People need to stop worrying about not hearing about the grant until mid-Sept. Fact is, a large number of other students will also be waiting, and frankly it's normal to be waiting a while to hear. Your college will be well used to dealing with it. If they start asking for fees, go to your student advisor/welfare officer or someone else & explain that you're waiting to hear back about the grant. UCD in my experience have always been perfectly fine with this and this year you can give them your grant application number & they will be informed by SUSI if you get the grant so no worries for you. Most colleges will be understanding.

& yes, I know you are all told that there are deadlines for these fees but trust me, if you go & speak to the right person it will be fine. SUSI wont pay the colleges until mid-late Oct. even if you are accepted because students drop out & they don't want to have paid for them. So don't stress out, you'll all be fine.

After panicking needlessly in retro-spect over susi/btea and fees a lot over the last few weeks i am in total agreement.. it'll be grand.. takes ages to get halfway decent answer.. (Easier said than done tho. i know);)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cottage garden

if you qualify for the maintenance grant your fees will be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That really isnt good enough. I need to pay my fees by the 2nd week of September like

You just have to tell the fees office you're waiting in SUSI

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

pbowenroe wrote: »

You won't be eligible for the grant for 1st year because you dropped out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maggimay

just been on to the college who insist my daughter will have to pay registration fees or part of next mon. we are absolutly frantic at this stage as we could not possible come up with the fees and havent heard a word back from susi other than phoning them when we got the college offer which said about registration fees only to be told they have no idea when we will hear anything and not to worry she can alway drop out if she doesn't get grant which would be soul destroying for her if she goes ahead and starts her course

maggimay wrote: »
    just been on to the college who insist my daughter will have to pay registration fees or part of next mon. we are absolutly frantic at this stage as we could not possible come up with the fees and havent heard a word back from susi other than phoning them when we got the college offer which said about registration fees only to be told they have no idea when we will hear anything and not to worry she can alway drop out if she doesn't get grant which would be soul destroying for her if she goes ahead and starts her

Usually fees offices understand that there are grant delays and they can be flexible in allowing you to register once you show a letter saying you are waiting on a grant. They seem to be really inflexible in this case

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

maggimay wrote: »
    just been on to the college who insist my daughter will have to pay registration fees or part of next mon. we are absolutly frantic at this stage as we could not possible come up with the fees and havent heard a word back from susi other than phoning them when we got the college offer which said about registration fees only to be told they have no idea when we will hear anything and not to worry she can alway drop out if she doesn't get grant which would be soul destroying for her if she goes ahead and starts her course

I wouldn't worry, there are a large percentage of students who waiting to hear back from SUSI and wouldn't have the funds to register (i wouldn't worry). When registering , just make sure you have your grant application at hand and give it in. Trust me, you won't be the only one. What college is she going to, and someone on this thread might be able to give you first hand information ? i personally am DIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

maggimay- I'm in Trinity and they are very flexible about waiting to find out if you got the grant. When you are registering you just give them a letter saying you applied for it, which college does your daughter plan on going to?

Advertisement