Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grants 2012/2013 ---- any responses yet ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

you know what you are so right. we can complain here as much as we like but if we want something done we have to do something about it. i am going to email all my local tds. thanks mango salsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AndyT101

Hey folks. Just registered and don't have enough to posts create a thread yet..and this seems like the most active thread sooo..

Anyway, i just got a letter on Friday saying my application had been cancelled because i had left certain parts of the application blank(on the recommendation of the SUSI help desk mind you)

So it looks like i'm going to have to apply again, but i'm kind of freaking out about deadlines or whatever. I know that i'll be considered as a late application because it's now well past the 31st of August...but is there a deadline for late applications too?

I'm already getting BTE, but i can't afford the fee's of my course. Am i too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

AndyT101 wrote: »
    Hey folks. Just registered and don't have enough to posts create a thread yet..and this seems like the most active thread sooo..

Anyway, i just got a letter on Friday saying my application had been cancelled because i had left certain parts of the application blank(on the recommendation of the SUSI help desk mind you)

So it looks like i'm going to have to apply again, but i'm kind of freaking out about deadlines or whatever. I know that i'll be considered as a late application because it's now well past the 31st of August...but is there a deadline for late applications too?

I'm already getting BTE, but i can't afford the fee's of my course. Am i too late?

At the moment there isn't any mention of a deadline for late applicants but obviously get it in ASAP, just cos you never know when they might close application.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

got an email 3 weeks ago saying mine was provisionally awarded. I filled out the form and sent it away the next day. anyone else in the same position? did ye hear back from them since?

Wow, I think you might have been the first person in the country Dougal!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

To further complicate matters, they're now asking for my Dad's P60 and P21 forms for 2011. The trouble is...he's in England, where those don't exist. Anyone able to help?

If you father was unemployed but still in Ireland he should have his last p45 from his last job. Be it if he finished it in 2010 or 2011 you will need that as he wasn't employed in Ireland as of the 31 Dec 2011. To go along with the p45 be it (1 or 2 or 3 p45's) he needs to call the tax office and ask for a p21 for 2011. The p21 and p45(s) pay will match and they can do it that way. only get a p60 if you are in employment on 31 Dec of the year in question.

If thats not possible they would have something very similar in the UK if he worked there for the whole of 2011. He just needs to get something similar to our p21 if he is now unemployed or something similar to our P60 if he is still in same employment as he was at year end 2011.

I rang SUSI today. They have received and scanned in all my supporting documents. I havent had a letter or email requesting more. And the fella on the phone also didnt ask for anything else. He said i Am "provisionally eligible" (i think i have been provisionally eligible since I applied way back in august) and the next step will be "provisionally awarded" I sent in my course acceptance last week so heres hoping. Enjoying my course loads anyways.

anyone else get any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annadaly

I was just wondering if the Final Cource Acceptance Form needs to be signed/stamped in the college if the college is in the Rep. of Ire and does everyone need to fill out this form or is just certain cases ????

First time applicant

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

annadaly wrote: »
    I was just wondering if the Final Cource Acceptance Form needs to be signed/stamped in the college if the college is in the Rep. of Ire and does everyone need to fill out this form or is just certain cases ????

First time applicant

Part 3 does not need to be filled out if college is in ROI. It's only if it's outside ROI. You fill out parts 1,2 and 4. Make sure you send EVERYTHING off together in the envelope they sent you. If you are missing something it will delay your application so tick off the boxes on the list they sent you and make sure everything is filled in correct. Everybody needs to fill out this form except part 3 if college is in ROI but otherwise everyone fills it out.

yeah it isnt clear on whether or not college students who are studying in ireland need to fill it out section 3 or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

AlexDublin wrote: »
    yeah it isnt clear on whether or not college students who are studying in ireland need to fill it out section 3 or not.

In Part 3 it clearly states.
    "to be completed by college/institution official on registration if the college/institution is outside of the Republic of Ireland)"

It seems pretty straightforward. If it's in the Republic, leave it blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moonkahee

got an email 3 weeks ago saying mine was provisionally awarded. I filled out the form and sent it away the next day. anyone else in the same position? did ye hear back from them since?

I got the exact same thing and sent everything off the day after (about 3 weeks ago now) and still nothing.

kaflin wrote: »
    In Part 3 it clearly states.
    "to be completed by college/institution official on registration if the college/institution is outside of the Republic of Ireland)"

It seems pretty straightforward. If it's in the Republic, leave it blank.

i just looked at it again there. i guess it is pretty clear. I guess I was so anxious about getting it filled out fully/correctly that i read it wrong.

Fingers crossed now that i get provisionally awarded soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I will be receiving mine on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annadaly

Thanks. I had no reply from SUSI so I rang and they said I had to send the Final acceptance form. They never said to send any other forms, so i presume i just send that form and hopefully I'll hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AL93

i rang today and they said it would be a few weeks at least the end of october even though i sent in my course acceptance form two weeks ago :mad: its a joke of a system how is anyone supposed to afford over a month of college with no grant

Two weeks ago?? That is a really short time, if your in such a rush get your forms in early.

I did mine straight with my local county council. Applied in August and getting it on friday

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Two weeks ago?? That is a really short time, if your in such a rush get your forms in early.

I did mine straight with my local county council. Applied in August and getting it on friday

A lot of applicants including myself were never notified by SUSI that we had to send in this course acceptance form. I was only notified when I rang up to enquire on how my application was going.

And also there has been many a delay in the application process before all this. I can assure you that for the most part it is not the applicants fault that the applications have not been processed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think most people in this thread are applying through SUSI so your info about the council may be irrelevant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A lot of applicants including myself were never notified by SUSI that we had to send in this course acceptance form. I was only notified when I rang up to enquire on how my application was going.

And also there has been many a delay in the application process before all this. I can assure you that for the most part it is not the applicants fault that the applications have not been processed already.

As I've suggested already pass on feedback to TDs and ask them to raise it with Minister Quinn

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

As I've suggested already pass on feedback to TDs and ask them to raise it with Minister Quinn

yes, most definitely do everyone. i have contacted my local tds by email.

Sorry, that is a bit of a joke.

Sorry, that is a bit of a joke.

I don't get you. What is a joke?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Anyone receive theirs yet? Cork County Council normally send theirs out first thursday of October, still waiting to receive mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Snap.

Any of my classmates who only had to deal with their local authorities already have gotten their approval and a few have money in their pockets already.

I had my forms sent into SUSI well before them in some cases and I'm still "in the queue" and waiting to even get a proper assessment, never mind get paid. Flat broke, with loans already taken out and looking at maybe a month before I get anything. Mess of a system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Got my response today. Denied! Absolutely sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

By email or post??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Sorry to hear that. Do they give you a reason or just give you the verdict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

cono121 wrote: »
    By email or post??

By post
    Maldesu wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Do they give you a reason or just give you the verdict?

Yep they gave me the reason. I have a level 8 from a few years back, so because I'm not progressing I'm not eligible. I half knew that anyway, but applied just in case.

I'll have to call the bank manger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Daffy7

Applied for my son's on the day online applications opened in June, have sent everything they asked for. Just rang for the umpteenth time and was told that he's moved from provisionally approved up to waiting for review, which according to woman on phone is a great thing! We'll get a letter within two weeks confirming if he has the grant and then the colleges have to arrange to pay it out. He's been at college since 10th September, living away from home and it'll probably be November before any grant comes through. It's beyond a joke, farcical!!

Advertisement