Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Someone on Reddit has posted about being there.
    Boyfriend and I have evacuated safe and sound. The shooting began during a gunfight scene in the movie, and at first, we thought it was special effects when smoke rose up. When shots happened again and people began to run, we thought something was up. A guy ran in and shouted there was a gunman in the building, and the alarms to emergency evacuate started to go off.
    I now know what tear gas feels like. I've never had to 'get down' with a police officer screaming at us. This is the most ****ed up night of my short life. I need an army of kitten photos stat.
    [1] http://whotalking.com/Century+16
    [Edit] Thank you for the well wishes everyone. Heart is still racing, especially reading up on it still. Apparently, not long after we evacuated the premises, an explosion went off, and the death toll has risen to 12, with 20 more injured: [2] http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/365147/20120720/aurora-dark-knight-rises-batman-colorado-shooting.htm

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Any word on the gunman(men)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Probably dressed up as Bane carrying a rucksack. Other people had dressed up for it so he thought nobody would look twice at him as he prepped there and then at the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Death Sentence is still on the books in Colorado, although very rarely used. It would be a shame to use it here. I can't help but think this particular murderer should be given a lifetime to reflect on his actions in a very small cell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Lumbo wrote: »

Early 20's, in custody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Lumbo wrote: »

One guy. They have him in custody and are searching his apartment - they've ordered the whole building be evacuated incase of explosives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Probably dressed up as Bane carrying a rucksack. Other people had dressed up for it so he thought nobody would look twice at him as he prepped there and then at the cinema.

One account said the gunman opened an emergency door, threw in some type of smoke/gas grenade and then began shooting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Shootings in the USA..

Yawnnnnn.

Using any excuse to bash the USA...

Yawnnn.

I agree that there are fundamental problems within US culture but every country has their achilles heel, so to speak. Perhaps US bashing could take a break just for one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While the free availability of military weaponry (tear gas and automatic weapons FFS) is definitely an issue in the U.S., I don't think that incidents like this can be blamed on such.

Fncked up people exist. And sometimes fncked up people do fncked up things. If the U.S. gun laws were tighter, this guy would still have walked in carrying two pistols and shot up the place. OK, the casualities may have been slightly less, but I don't think that it would be any less shocking.

The USA is a big place. 300 million people. So every so often you get a messed up incident like this. It has nothing to do with gun laws or with Americans. With a population that size, you inevitably get a fncked up incident every now and again. Europe has a similar population, and occassionally we have an Anders Breivik or a Cumbrian tax driver come out of the woodwork.

This is not an issue of culture or attitude. It's just one of those things that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Aurora is a suburb of Denver near the scene of the 1999 Columbine High School shooting, in which 13 people were shot dead and another 24 were wounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

****ing hell this is just so sad, does anyone have a source on the reports that the baby was shot, haven't been able to fine anything, I just hope it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

This is beyond horrific, What makes a person kill at random,it must be horrifying for the people to go through something like that seeing the things that they saw. It only takes one crazy bastard to ruin countless lives. surely he will get the death penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

demakinz wrote: »
    This is beyond horrific, What makes a person kill at random,it must be horrifying for the people to go through something like that seeing the things that they saw. It only takes one crazy bastard to ruin countless lives. surely he will get the death penalty.

And what will the death penalty solve, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    ****ing hell this is just so sad, does anyone have a source on the reports that the baby was shot, haven't been able to fine anything, I just hope it's not true.

Children are reportedly among those shot.

One person at the theatre who spoke to local television station 9News described what he heard a fellow witness tell her boyfriend:
    "The really messed up part for me is that she said she saw bullet holes in the little girl's back."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-20/live-blog-aurora-shooting/4144558

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

2 witnesses reporting it on the news

http://www.9news.com/video/9newsonline.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

kevmol88 wrote: »
    Children are reportedly among those shot.

One person at the theatre who spoke to local television station 9News described what he heard a fellow witness tell her boyfriend:
    "The really messed up part for me is that she said she saw bullet holes in the little girl's back."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-20/live-blog-aurora-shooting/4144558
    Dave! wrote: »
    2 witnesses reporting it on the news

http://www.9news.com/video/9newsonline.aspx

Was just watching it there, when they mentioned it my heart just sank, just so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Is this another rabid Christoper Nolan fan who couldn't handle the fact the new movie is getting a load of cr&ppy reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

old hippy wrote: »
    demakinz wrote: »

It'll solve that **** being alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The death penalty isn't a solution, it's considered a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is this another rabid Christoper Nolan fan who couldn't handle the fact the new movie is getting a load of cr&ppy reviews?
    Stop... just stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

An eye for an eye? I mean these guys decided to play God and took many innocent lives. Why should they be allowed to live providing they are apprehended and found guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Wonder if it had anything to do with Swedish House Mafia on the soundtrack:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I know this is in after hours but cop the fcuk on.. wtf is wrong with some people

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kfallon wrote: »
    An eye for an eye? I mean these guys decided to play God and took many innocent lives. Why should they be allowed to live providing they are apprehended and found guilty beyond reasonable doubt?
    You still haven't explained what killing him solves though. Surely if the goal is punish him, then torture would be preferable? If you kill him, he's gone. There's no heaven or hell, the guy won't "pay" for what he's done, because he'll be dead.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Cinema has followed us home and is outside our homes every night .

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Sky news now showing a bomb disposal robot at a car in the shopping mall

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

6 victims in a local Children's Hospital.. the youngest victim is 6 years old!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Youngest wounded victim brought to hospital is 6 according to reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Cinema has followed us home and is outside our homes every night .

I thought I was the only person being stalked by buildings!

Advertisement