Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

9News just reported that the youngest victim brought to the childrens hospital because of a bullet wound is 6:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's causing the film to be mentioned a lot in the news. Brings a different meaning to guerrilla marketing

It's been done. Made quite a few people unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Just another horrific massace in a country that consider the right of every lunatic to have a gun to be more sacred than the right of people not to be gunned down.
    RIP to the dead, when will the USA wake up to the need for real gun control?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

seamus wrote: »
    You still haven't explained what killing him solves though. Surely if the goal is punish him, then torture would be preferable? If you kill him, he's gone. There's no heaven or hell, the guy won't "pay" for what he's done, because he'll be dead.

He's dead, he no longer exists, I'm not sure there's a worse punishment than that. Also if you lock him up then in a roundabout way the people affected by their loved ones being murdered are actually contributing (thru tax) to put a roof over his head and three square meals a day in front of him!

And why waste resources torturing him every day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Shootings in the USA..

Yawnnnnn.

I feel sad for you that you can't empathise as a human being.

Really, I do.

I have plenty empathy, see my post on Mauritius..

But America and guns.. meh, just seems normal for them. And half of Americas are thick as syrup.

You have only to read crap on the web about them to put 2+2 together.

As long as kids can take guns into McDonalds over there this won't be the last shooting in our lifetime in the states

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The news have said they keep hearing about a baby but there are no confirmed reports on that. It's possible that people referred to the 6yr old as the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

humanji wrote: »
    This is not the place to discuss what constitutes comedy. And this is neither the time or place for jokes. Stick to the topic.

Fair warning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

kfallon wrote: »
    An eye for an eye? I mean these guys decided to play God and took many innocent lives. Why should they be allowed to live providing they are apprehended and found guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

Ah, some good old fashioned Old Testament style vengeance and retribution to satisfy your blood lust and feelings of helplesness over the tragedy.

Yep, that's surely the only way to progress to a better society. Or continue a cycle of violence.

Death toll to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

15 confirmed dead now.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Ah, some good old fashioned Old Testament style vengeance and retribution to satisfy your blood lust and feelings of helplesness over the tragedy.

Yep, that's surely the only way to progress to a better society. Or continue a cycle of violence.

FYI....I do not and have never read the bible!

So what's your solution then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Some dumbass on the NBC news prank called them pretending to be the chief of police.

Went on to say the gunman was angry because he was voted of America's Got Talent. Tasteless.

I have plenty empathy, see my post on Mauritius..

But America and guns.. meh, just seems normal for them. And half of Americas are thick as syrup.

You have only to read crap on the web about them to put 2+2 together.

As long as kids can take guns into McDonalds over there this won't be the last shooting in our lifetime in the states

Ever met any Americans? Ever been there? Read any of their great writers?

The gun laws are, in my view, wrong and need severe tightening up but generalising about Americans does not make for a great argument. And I'd trust other reportage than, as you put it, "crap on the web".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He's dead, he no longer exists, I'm not sure there's a worse punishment than that. Also if you lock him up then in a roundabout way the people affected by their loved ones being murdered are actually contributing (thru tax) to put a roof over his head and three square meals a day in front of him!

And why waste resources torturing him every day?
    I can certainly think of a few worse punishments than death. Would you prefer to spend the rest of your life locked in a small room and wandering around the same building every day, before dying. Or would you prefer to just get the dying bit over with now?

I don't believe the death penalty is a good solution in any case, however I would like to see those on life sentences given the option of committing suicide.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Some dumbass on the NBC news prank called them pretending to be the chief of police.

Went on to say the gunman was angry because he was voted of America's Got Talent. Tasteless.
    I heard that, but he said the 15th victim was in an angry state because he was voted off America's Got Talent, not the gunman. And said something about Howard Stern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

After talking about the 6 year old on 9news,"Some people complaining about children being at the theatre, Batman is a fun series and is rated PG13." :confused:

FYI....I do not and have never read the bible!

So what's your solution then?

Doesn't matter whether you have or haven't read it. You are perpetuating a cycle of violence and bloodlust. You wish pain and violence of the perps.

And you cannot see the irony over fantasising about violence - which is prob exactly what these perps were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just heard on the Police Scanner that there are drunk people fighting in the area.

FFS

Doesn't matter whether you have or haven't read it. You are perpetuating a cycle of violence and bloodlust. You wish pain and violence of the perps.

And you cannot see the irony over fantasising about violence - which is prob exactly what these perps were doing?

Again, your solution to the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Lock him up, forever. Let him be forced to consider what he has done for the rest of his waking life. In a very unforgiving uncomfortable environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

seamus wrote: »
    While the free availability of military weaponry (tear gas and automatic weapons FFS) is definitely an issue in the U.S., I don't think that incidents like this can be blamed on such.

Fncked up people exist. And sometimes fncked up people do fncked up things. If the U.S. gun laws were tighter, this guy would still have walked in carrying two pistols and shot up the place. OK, the casualities may have been slightly less, but I don't think that it would be any less shocking.

semi-automatic weapons and their availability is the problem imo, like who needs an uzi to go hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

While I understand where you're coming from, my own point of view is this:

Yes, basically fantasising about violence is what I/we'd be doing, but it's violence/torture directed at a perpetrator of the heinous pre-meditated murder of men, women and children. Which, makes it OK in my opinion - I realise that maybe wrong, but I don't really care to be honest.

I'll be completely honest, I'm not much of a humanitarian. I think some people deserve to be tortured to the brink of death, again and again, like this guy in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Absolutely horrific. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Such a sad story - what is the human race becoming at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

davet82 wrote: »
    semi-automatic weapons and their availability is the problem imo, like who needs an uzi to go hunting

I think it's a catch twenty two situation. You need guns to defend yourself from the people who have guns, so you get bigger guns and so on.

Unfortunately there are emotionally unstable (very much so) people in the world right now who think the only solution to a problem is to go on a killing spree. What would really frighten me though is what would be going through that persons mind while it was going on? I actually shudder to think.

Believe me I'm not sticking up for the killer, but it's sort of a morbid fascination to want to know the motive(s). Was the person depressed (most likely) and why? Was this calculated (probably...seeing that he knew that there would be a group of people there at a specific time) and why?

//also to all, please reread my previous comments. I've edited them as I don't want to make any enemies on here, thanks.//

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really gutted after hearing this story especially since I'm going to the film today. Won't be able to enjoy it now I feel this tragedy will be in the back of my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I guarantee its only a matter of time before the American media Fox News claims Banes mask was an influence on the gunmans attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ricero wrote: »
    Really gutted after hearing this story especially since I'm going to the film today. Won't be able to enjoy it now I feel this tragedy will be in the back of my mind

Don't let that bother you at all, It happened in a different world, carry on regardless, maybe a nod of respect for second but then forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brendog wrote: »
    I guarantee its only a matter of time before the American media Fox News claims Banes mask was an influence on the gunmans attire.
    Or the ol' tired "blame it on video games"..

Advertisement