Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We know that there 17,000 murders a year in America, 15,000 of these are results of firearms. Norway has 30 murders year, but the population is much smaller, only 5 million compared to 315 million of the US. But if you compare States of America of a similar size you will see:

What is the counterpoint statistic for the number of defensive gun uses? If you only look at the negatives, you will have a negative impression. Video went around on CNN yesterday of a 71-year-old dealing with an armed robbery of a LAN cafe by use of a .380 semi-auto. Crime prevented, criminals captured, how often does that happen in Norway?

What is the counterpoint statistic for the number of defensive gun uses? If you only look at the negatives, you will have a negative impression. Video went around on CNN yesterday of a 71-year-old dealing with an armed robbery of a LAN cafe by use of a .380 semi-auto. Crime prevented, criminals captured, how often does that happen in Norway?

Would such cases be included in murder stats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

According to news reports he did. The baby was taken into hospital but he/she is okay, thank God.

You think the man did this because people didn't care enough about him? How an you be so sure though?
    He murdered a 12 year old boy, who was probably so excited about seeing the new Batman movie and was planning the rest of his weekend with his friends, and thinking about going back to school in September and had a future ahead of him.
    He robbed all those people of their futures.

I'm not sure, of course. You tend to find that people who perpetrate such heinous acts have suffered from some kind of bullying or abuse in the past. Not that it excuses such acts but maybe something to try and study and comprehend before you off him. Just my tuppence worth.

I'm not sure if the baby was shot, though. But it's good that it's alive (which has nothing to with any god) thanks to a.) competent doctors and possibly b.) not actually being shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

old hippy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the baby was shot, though. But it's good that it's alive (which has nothing to with any god) thanks to a.) competent doctors and possibly b.) not actually being shot.

Oh don't even start..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think it proves that a society with far fewer guns is better overall and people wouldn't need guns for self defense if there simply weren't many in the first place.

• Advertisement

Oh don't even start..

You mentioned it first

You mentioned it first

Its an expression.

Would such cases be included in murder stats?

No.

Murder is an unlawful killing. Homicide is any killing. As a result, you have to be clear when looking at statistics, as often time 'gun deaths' or 'homicides' are touted, then the former includes suicides, accidents, and justifiable homicides as well as murders, wheras the latter can include the same except suicide.

Though in the case of the LAN cafe, all parties present survived the experience.
    I think it proves that a society with far fewer guns is better overall and people wouldn't need guns for self defense if there simply weren't many in the first place.

It proves that people wouldn't need guns for self defence if everyone (to include the large number of wild animals one can encounter in the US) was nice to each other. Since everyone being nice isn't going to happen, and all firearms being removed from circulation isn't going to happen, a more pragmatic response is required.

NTM

Its an expression.

Fair enough, so.

One of those unfortunate coincidences.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12856579-woman-who-died-in-colo-movie-rampage-narrowly-escaped-being-shot-last-month?lite/
    A woman who died in the movie theater shooting in Denver had previously escaped a shooting at a mall in Toronto in June

• Advertisement

It proves that people wouldn't need guns for self defence if everyone (to include the large number of wild animals one can encounter in the US) was nice to each other. Since everyone being nice isn't going to happen, and all firearms being removed from circulation isn't going to happen, a more pragmatic response is required.

NTM

In a sense I agree with this in that even if guns were banned in the United States tomorrow, just the sheer number of millions of guns that are already in the country would just be handed out illegally and the situation would be impractical at least on a short term basis.

But I think those who resist background checks and the like and take the 2nd amendment so literally need to call into question how easy it is to obtain guns even for the most mentally disturbed now and will have to accept that if they are to have the 2nd amendmant to continue in its most literal form, that America will always have a high homocide rate and gun murder rate, much more so than most other western democracies. I guess the NRA don't really care though.

But I think those who resist background checks and the like and take the 2nd amendment so literally need to call into question how easy it is to obtain guns even for the most mentally disturbed now and will have to accept that if they are to have the 2nd amendmant to continue in its most literal form, that America will always have a high homocide rate and gun murder rate, much more so than most other western democracies. I guess the NRA don't really care though.

I believe you'll find the NRA has generally supported the idea of background checks such as the NICS I went through when I last bought a firearm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dreadful news rip to all the dead victims and hopefully the injured ones have a good recovery from such a shocking event..:eek:

I believe you'll find the NRA has generally supported the idea of background checks such as the NICS I went through when I last bought a firearm.

Perhaps, I'm not as well tuned in as you are as I don't live there, I just look at it as an outsider. I watch Michael Moore movies and he tells me they are too easy to get. :P

Naw but seriously if I had the time I would like to research it more myself at some point on what background checks there are etc in America and whats being done to prevent people with mental health problems obtaining firearms etc.

Naw but seriously if I had the time I would like to research it more myself at some point on what background checks there are etc in America and whats being done to prevent people with mental health problems obtaining firearms etc.

This has been a high-profile issue ever since Virginia Tech. The problem there wasn't so much that the law allowed Cho to own a firearm but that, had the system worked as the laws intended, he would not have been given approval for the pistol he used to have been purchased. As a result, I submit that there is merit to the mantra that what is needed is not new laws causing further restrictions or confusion (there are thousands of firearms-related laws in the US) but that the mechanisms need to be emplaced to allow the laws to be enforced correctly. Of course, passing a new law is cheap. Creating a proper, practical system whereby all the various agencies, departments etc can speak together and share appropriate information is expensive. No prizes for guessing which way lawmakers tend to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Americans love their guns and their 'freedom'. When you couple this with enormous inequality in American society, it's a time bomb. This will continue to happen over and over again. It's a pretty sick society.

token101 wrote: »
    Americans love their guns and their 'freedom'. When you couple this with enormous inequality in American society, it's a time bomb. This will continue to happen over and over again. It's a pretty sick society.

It's funny how usually the big stories aren't down to any real inequality though, they're mainly down to a handful of mental cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why are there people in this thread worried about spoilers for a film, when there have been so many people injured, and some killed, by somebody with proper issues?

Fuck off tbh. There are more important things in life than a film:mad:

That's extremely unfair and totally unwarranted. I'm shocked at what happened, but like the people who stayed up late to see the film in that Colorado cinema, I'm also looking forward to the film. I don't see how having the film ruined for me will aid the victims or their families. Perhaps you can explain how it would have such an effect? Otherwise, perhaps you should think a little before you rush to judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It's funny how usually the big stories aren't down to any real inequality though, they're mainly down to a handful of mental cases.

The young men who do these big killing sprees usually come from middle-class backgrounds, which tears down his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

But how come they seem to be almost always happening in America? You can point to Norway, I'm sre many have. But 9/10 times, it's the States. Is that a coincidence? Very easy to blame 'nutcases'. Lot harder to look inward and see where a PHD student decide he needed to kill dozens of people.

• Advertisement

But how come they seem to be almost always happening in America? You can point to Norway, I'm sre many have. But 9/10 times, it's the States. Is that a coincidence? Very easy to blame 'nutcases'. Lot harder to look inward and see where a PHD student decide he needed to kill dozens of people.

If he was a working class black Muslim no one would try to understand it.

The young men who do these big killing sprees usually come from middle-class backgrounds, which tears down his argument.

Regardless of class & race - many are troubled males with underlying mental health issues. Which often stem from alienation, bullying, socially excluded from their peers and so on.

If he was a working class black Muslim no one would try to understand it.

Oh, I think they would - and jump to all sorts of conclusions. Not saying you would, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Regardless of class & race - many are troubled males with underlying mental health issues. Which often stem from alienation, bullying, socially excluded from their peers and so on.

You keep on bringing this up. A LOT of people who have experienced the above in life yet are law abiding and would never go to such lengths. Tough luck that he did such a stupid and callous thing, last night.

300 million people compared to 5 million. Pretty simple really.

And I'm sorry but who the **** else will you blame? The people who carry out these acts are responsible, no-one else.

You keep on bringing this up. A LOT of people who have experienced the above in life yet are law abiding and would never go to such lengths. Tough luck that he did such a stupid and callous thing, last night.

Different people react in different ways. One person's breaking point may be seen as a challenge to get over by others.

Here's a different take

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html

300 million people compared to 5 million. Pretty simple really.

And I'm sorry but who the **** else will you blame? The people who carry out these acts are responsible, no-one else.

I disagree. If we're getting into the blame game, we should take a closer look at what leads someone to dehumanise themselves and do such a thing.

Again, I am not condoning such acts but am concerned that as usual the baying mob will pass judgement without looking at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

According to an interview with the police chief on Sky News he had an AR15, a shotgun and two .40 calibre Glock pistols. Said it's unclear if he had them legally.

Different people react in different ways. One person's breaking point may be seen as a challenge to get over by others.

His "breaking point"?

So why didn't he just kill himself, instead of taking out innocent victims (including children)

• Advertisement

His "breaking point"?

So why didn't he just kill himself, instead of taking out innocent victims (including children)

Beacause different people react in different ways. Psychosis isn't all b&w, you know?

Advertisement