Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate My Team thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My team as it stands below. Thinking of working it over the next couple of weeks to replace Bale and Noble in my midfield with Fellaini and someone very cheap e.g. Guthrie and changing my forwards to Sturridge and Aguerro.

A good improvement? Other suggestions?

237660.png

Think best bet would be at least to do Bale -> Fellaini soon in order to avoid getting funked by price changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Why mental..?

Is Mata a safe choice under Benitez, do you think?

I was thinking the two Liverpool attackers was questionable alright. Sturridge might be really good value though I thought...Do people think Suarez might score less now Sturridge has come into the team?

What about puttingh Remy in instead of Suarez or Sturridge..?

Sorry for the brief reply earlier, I was running out of the office, but felt I had to comment! :p

Well for a start, you're back 5 come to a total of 30.8m, whereas your midfield 5 only cost 31.1m. I guess that's the 'mental' part I was referring to. That's far too close. My midfield is roughly 20m more than my defense!

I'm never a fan of two up front from the same club either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

237632.png

Thoughts?
    Based on your feedback I replaced Lennon, Gibbs and Sturridge with Walcott, Harte and Fletcher.
    I compare players by looking at their stats primarily. Fletcher's stats are really good. Berba's aren't any better than the defenders I left in (and I'd lose money on the transfers with them).
    I'll keep Evra in. Not dead set on keeping Baines (good but not fantastic return on investment) or Ivanovic (might be rotated?). However the only midfielder I'd transfer out is Guthrie, and I dont see any combination of replacements for those players that I'd prefer. (Still 0 in the bank after rejigging).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Wild carding at the moment this is the current draft want to upgrade the defense any reccomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Why mental..?

Is Mata a safe choice under Benitez, do you think?

I was thinking the two Liverpool attackers was questionable alright. Sturridge might be really good value though I thought...Do people think Suarez might score less now Sturridge has come into the team?

What about puttingh Remy in instead of Suarez or Sturridge..?

No offence but one of the worst teams I've seen. Midfield is absolutely shocking and you've spent over £40m on your defence + GK's!!

You've about £103m to work with and can do much, much better than that. No Silva, Bale, Mata, Hazard, Walcott, Cazorla, Aguero, Tevez... good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Based on your feedback I replaced Lennon, Gibbs and Sturridge with Walcott, Harte and Fletcher.
    I compare players by looking at their stats primarily. Fletcher's stats are really good. Berba's aren't any better than the defenders I left in (and I'd lose money on the transfers with them).
    I'll keep Evra in. Not dead set on keeping Baines (good but not fantastic return on investment) or Ivanovic (might be rotated?). However the only midfielder I'd transfer out is Guthrie, and I dont see any combination of replacements for those players that I'd prefer. (Still 0 in the bank after rejigging).

I think you need to pick one of your really expensive defenders in your case you seem to favour Evra alongside Gibbs and then trade down ivan and baines to players like clyne shaw davies turner. In that case you will have evra and gibbs starting every week and then pick one from your other 3 cheap defenders to start every week.
    A lot of people are saying your midfield is poor Id have to agree. General consensus on here is that bale walcott mata fellani michu are the 5 main midfielders . You have 2 of them Id keep them 2 and pick 2 from the other 3.
    Puncheon or guthrie are fine for your cheap 5th mid.
    In your shoes Id go with sturridge over suarez to give you more money for your midfield, plus with suarez being 1.5 times more expensive than sturridge he would have to outscore him 1.5 times between now and the end of the season I dont think he will. Not sure what money that would leave you with for your last striker maybe fletcher.

with suarez being 1.5 times more expensive than sturridge he would have to outscore him 1.5 times between now and the end of the season I dont think he will.

This isn't correct, you can't look at it this way. If you have the cash, pick Suarez, if not, pick Sturridge and use the rest to upgrade elsewhere.

By your logic you would prefer RVP over Fletcher + Berbatov. Taking this example and excluding the captaincy option, you can see that even the stand out performer this year (RVP - 164) doesn't come close to matching them (202). Even Lambert and Pog combined have outscored RVP and they cost considerably less.

RVP costs twice as much as Fletcher and Berbatov, but this is no way signifies that he will score twice as much as them, or that you need him to score this much to warrant the cost. Same with Suarez, he 100% does not need to score 1.5 times what Sturridge does to make him worthwhile. Think of it more in terms of - Will the extra £3m saved get me more points from boosting another player/players and make more than the points difference between Suarez and Sturridge?

Don't mean to be pedantic but its a flawed way of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I get what you are saying Rory, but you are using two players as in Fletch and Berbs 'V' RVP, don't think thats fair.

Surely if 1 player is worth 10m and another 20m the second player would have to score twice as many points to be considered of same value.

Maths was never my strong suit btw.:o Of course if you have the funds, you should pick the player likely to score the most, but in terms of value surely the above logic makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

When you have one player worth any price you still have 10 others to score points, when you have two players worth the same money you can only score another 9 players, shouldn't this come into consideration, I'm confused:confused:
    But I still reckon that if you can afford it(which I can't) then Suarez will prove better value for your team(whatever that means) than Sturridge.

I get what you are saying Rory, but you are using two players as in Fletch and Berbs 'V' RVP, don't think thats fair.

Not really, I'm using the example where you are combining points. The fact that it's not possible to play 12 players doesn't matter, the point it moot from a maths POV. A player does not need to outscore a lower priced player to the equialent ratio, it's nowhere near as simple as that.
    Surely if 1 player is worth 10m and another 20m the second player would have to score twice as many points to be considered of same value.

Nope, you need to look at in from a different perspective altogether.
    Maths was never my strong suit btw.:o Of course if you have the funds, you should pick the player likely to score the most, but in terms of value surely the above logic makes sense.

Same as above. This is why you see people on here asking questions like "Should I pick Suarez + Davies or Sturridge + Luiz." It's about the distribution of funds, you aren't trying to get an exact ROI from one player on his own. You can't simply look at it in terms of Player A is worth £Xm and player B is worth £Xm, therefore player A must outscore Player B by X times. It's ok as a loose way of viewing things but this is an inherently flawed way to look at the game, and will only do you damage in the long run. You need to think will the extra cash saved do you better distributed throughout the rest of the team, or is it better to cut back on players in order to afford the higher priced player. It gets far more complicated when you consider double points for captain and subbed players.

When you have one player worth any price you still have 10 others to score points, when you have two players worth the same money you can only score another 9 players, shouldn't this come into consideration, I'm confused:confused:
    But I still reckon that if you can afford it(which I can't) then Suarez will prove better value for your team(whatever that means) than Sturridge.

Exactly, my original example was just to show you that you can't work out a value based on one player (i.e one RVP does not = 2 Fletchers). RVP is overpriced in this game, but he is simply a must have, especially when it comes to captain choice (even if he was £15m). The fact that he negates the captaincy somewhat simplifies the choice of other players, but you cannot base decisions in such simplistic terms as you originally did. There's a number of other factors to consider.

• Advertisement

Exactly, my original example was just to show you that you can't work out a value based on one player (i.e one RVP does not = 2 Fletchers). RVP is overpriced in this game, but he is simply a must have, especially when it comes to captain choice (even if he was £15m). The fact that he negates the captaincy somewhat simplifies the choice of other players, but you cannot base decisions in such simplistic terms as you originally did. There's a number of other factors to consider.[/QUOTE]

Was this directed at me, what were you referring to?

Yeah, not a criticism though! By simplistic terms I meant this quote:
    with suarez being 1.5 times more expensive than sturridge he would have to outscore him 1.5 times between now and the end of the season

There are a huge number of things to consider, and the above is definitely not the right thought process, it's far too basic and in some cases would be miles wide of the mark.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Thing is I'm not Iusedtolikebusts:), very sensitive to any criticism though;)

roryc wrote: »
    This isn't correct, you can't look at it this way. If you have the cash, pick Suarez, if not, pick Sturridge and use the rest to upgrade elsewhere.

By your logic you would prefer RVP over Fletcher + Berbatov. Taking this example and excluding the captaincy option, you can see that even the stand out performer this year (RVP - 164) doesn't come close to matching them (202). Even Lambert and Pog combined have outscored RVP and they cost considerably less.

RVP costs twice as much as Fletcher and Berbatov, but this is no way signifies that he will score twice as much as them, or that you need him to score this much to warrant the cost. Same with Suarez, he 100% does not need to score 1.5 times what Sturridge does to make him worthwhile. Think of it more in terms of - Will the extra £3m saved get me more points from boosting another player/players and make more than the points difference between Suarez and Sturridge?

Don't mean to be pedantic but its a flawed way of thinking!

I also get what your saying rory but my advice was aimed at another poster and his particular circumstances. For him money is a bit scarce and he wants both suarez and sturridge. In that example I think the 1.5 comparison makes a bit more sense. He has a choice of suarez and puncheon or sturridge and walcott (with another million saved elsewhere).
    In your circumstances due to your higher team value I agree if you feel suarez will outscore sturridge go with that as you can still have the team you want because money isnt an issue really.
    For me I probably dont have as much money as you and I want liverpool attacking coverage either sturridge or suarez. If I thought suarez would vastly outcore sturridge Id go with him but I feel they will get similar scores so I can either have suarez williamson davies or sturridge azpil clichy.
    I agree on the rvp issue hes 14 million and isnt going to get double fletchers score the difference for me is Ill capt Rvp 90% of the time. For the suarez sturridge debate I would very rarely capt suarez.
    To sum up I think its a reasonable way of looking at things but its not foolproof.
    Swiper we all now you like Busts so dont worry :)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Thing is I'm not Iusedtolikebusts:), very sensitive to any criticism though;)

My mistake!

@Iused2likebusts Still have to disagree with the core idea behind it. I understand your reasoning in terms of that scenario where money is scarce etc. You can say that Suarez needs to score considerably more than Sturridge in order to be worth the expense, this is fine. The issue is with trying to draw conclusions based on a ratio of price to points. Even as a rough guide this is 100% not the way to look at it. You simply cannot base a decision on a points to cost ratio as exact as you did, it won't work for a large proportion of cases and there are much easier ways to view value in a mathematical way. I could go into more detail but it would get extremely boring!

. You simply cannot base a decision on a points to cost ratio as exact as you did, it won't work for a large proportion of cases and there are much easier ways to view value in a mathematical way. I could go into more detail but it would get extremely boring!

what was that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

My mistake!

@Iused2likebusts Still have to disagree with the core idea behind it. I understand your reasoning in terms of that scenario where money is scarce etc. You can say that Suarez needs to score considerably more than Sturridge in order to be worth the expense, this is fine. The issue is with trying to draw conclusions based on a ratio of price to points. Even as a rough guide this is 100% not the way to look at it. You simply cannot base a decision on a points to cost ratio as exact as you did, it won't work for a large proportion of cases and there are much easier ways to view value in a mathematical way. I could go into more detail but it would get extremely boring!

Keep going pal, im interested. I get what your saying and to me its pretty interesting, so I'd like to hear more if you have the time.

My mistake!

Fair enough I find it useful with some of my decisions . I applied the same logic to having adeboyar( 8million at the start 194 pts )over rooney 12 million (230 points) last year. I felt rooney would outscore adeboyar over the course of the season but not by enough to justify the extra 4 million the 1.5 logic. It meant I could have Aguero in last year over a mid range forward.
    I agree with a fair bit of what you say but I think its something to consider particularly when money is scarce.

Whist all that stuff and rate my team will ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

what was that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Perhaps if you woke up you'd be on more points ;)

He's right btw

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whist all that stuff and rate my team will ye!

Your team is grand, you might get bits of advice on here but are you really going to listen, nothing wrong with that team at all as long as they are all playing. Keep Bale or you will be sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

no12 wrote: »
    Wild carding at the moment this is the current draft want to upgrade the defense any reccomendations?

Upgrade your defence and downgrade your attack so maybe Fletcher -> Remy and Wisdom -> Nastasic.

Perhaps if you woke up you'd be on more points ;)

He's right btw

Im sure rory understands it was a joke aimed at the introduction of some complex mathematical equation being introduced onto the forum. TBH I would be interested to be entirely convinced on the argument. I think when moneys scarce and the player you are not bringing in (suarez in my case) is a player you wouldnt captain the 1.5 example im using is one of the things you should consider when making a decision.
    We could all do with more points:)

keane wouldnt get rid of bale and would get rid of Ba for Aguero. Downgrade Sagna and Noble maybe probably still a little bit short another option maybe michu to fellani. Lambert seems to be a really good option has slipped under the radar somewhat.

Michu is only worth 7.4 to me to sell him unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

keane2097 wrote: »
    Michu is only worth 7.4 to me to sell him unfortunately.
    Don't sell michu for 7.4 . Imo only Mata and Bale are better options unless they bring in an out and out striker and he'd still score goals.

Yeah wouldn't consider it, especially at that price.

Im sure rory understands it was a joke aimed at the introduction of some complex mathematical equation being introduced onto the forum. TBH I would be interested to be entirely convinced on the argument. I think when moneys scarce and the player you are not bringing in (suarez in my case) is a player you wouldnt captain the 1.5 example im using is one of the things you should consider when making a decision.
    We could all do with more points:)

OK look at it like this. You should never be in a situation where it is a simple choice between a player worth 10m and one worth 7m. The difference in price is far too much in that it affects your team as a whole. Each choice will have so many other variables that it can never be as simple as if I pick A he needs to score X times more than B. It's not that your theory is incorrect, it shouldn't even exist. You should never be asking this question.

You should be thinking If I pick A I will save £3m which can be used to boost Player C and Player D, but I will rest Player C for that GW as Player E has an easier fixture so perhaps I should pick Player F who is slightly cheaper and also boost Player G etc etc etc... Having an extra £3m to distribute around your team should make you consider a number of different options, planned weeks ahead. At the same time if you take the more expensive option (ie Suarez) then you need to look at his fixture list and where you can cut back in the rest of the team to afford this, and whether it is worthwhile.

Basically, if the difference in price is more than £0.5m then you need to look at the transfer in relation to the rest of your team, it will never be as simple as looking at the merits of a straight choice between two players of different value. This is what I mean by inherently flawed - it is the total wrong way of looking at transfers, there are far too many other variables to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Who are wildcard ''must haves'' in your opinions.

I currently have RVP Mata and Walcott who I think are must haves.
    But with the price increase on Suarez, Bale and Michu are they really worth bringing in at their current price?

• Advertisement

Who are wildcard ''must haves'' in your opinions.

I currently have RVP Mata and Walcott who I think are must haves.
    But with the price increase on Suarez, Bale and Michu are they really worth bringing in at their current price?

Michu and Fellaini, based on their price and the fact they are playing up front. With Bale he's hit or miss, and is currently on miss. You could pick Silva or Gerrard but any of the three is a gamble.

For Suarez you could try Sturridge if you are low on cash, they have a tough run of fixtures. Totally depends on whether you can afford forking out the extra £3m, or if you want to go with a Big 5 or Big 4 in MF.

Advertisement