Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my housemate a slag or a prostitute?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

When women try to complain we're told we have no sense of humour.

And then a week later there'll be some pathetic thread about how white men are society's biggest victims.

Sure women are always complaining. I don't mind if women don't have a sense of humour. I'm used to it now. Blame the likes of Maeve Higgins and her cake cooking for that.

And I don't think white men have it bad but some might.

No I don't, but offensive terms against ONE gender only shouldn't be used on a board where that gender should be able to feel comfortable coming to.

Was the term not about the one girl in the apartment though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ElephantStone

Piste wrote: »
    I think if people reread the OP and thought about what if the girl the OP was describing was their mother, sister, girlfriend or best friend, would they maybe see why it bothers some people.

Definitely agree.
    If my mam was bringing **** smelling lads home every night for a ride I'd be pretty bothered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Definitely agree.
    If my mam was bringing **** smelling lads home every night for a ride I'd be pretty bothered too.

This may blow your mind, but maybe its none of your business what women do.
    Shocking, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

That's ridiculous. It's a shame that you don't like what you see but you can't expect to always like it.

This post is about a woman, one woman, noones generalisin. And noone is going to talk about mens behavious because that's going off topic.

I do personally think that people habe gone ott with the slag comments for their own amusement but I also thnk that if a guy carried on like this in a way that made their housemate uncomfortable then they too would be judged the same way.

Maybe it can't be articulated as well without the male equivalent to these insults (making up new ones is pointless and if u think they can only be used for women that's your fault) but I think the feeling would be the same.

• Advertisement

This may blow your mind, but maybe its none of your business what women do.
    Shocking, I know.

It's our business what our mother's do, especially when we live with them. We mightn't want to know everything but you don't want Mammy bringing strange men home to a spare bedroom each night and the door being closed and not knowing what's going on. What would Daddy say?

The slag is the OP's business because she's dirty. She's dirtying his life with her **** smelling fellas. That's when it becomes his business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sit her down and ask for 50%(settle at 35% but make sure you get freebies any time you want) or you call the vice squad

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Neeson wrote: »
    It's our business what our mother's do, especially when we live with them.

I never would have guessed.
    The slag is the OP's business because she's dirty. She's dirtying his life with her **** smelling fellas. That's when it becomes his business.

I don't even..

I can't
    That's ridiculous. It's a shame that you don't like what you see but you can't expect to always like it.

This post is about a woman, one woman, noones generalisin. And noone is going to talk about mens behavious because that's going off topic.

I do personally think that people habe gone ott with the slag comments for their own amusement but I also thnk that if a guy carried on like this in a way that made their housemate uncomfortable then they too would be judged the same way.

Maybe it can't be articulated as well without the male equivalent to these insults (making up new ones is pointless and if u think they can only be used for women that's your fault) but I think the feeling would be the same.

"Sexism doesn't exist because I say so. Its just a coincidence that there are so many women bashing threads in AH."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is this the worst thread ever in AH? And that takes some doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Yeah this slew of misogynism don't
    appear too healthy - should serve as a reminder

She may well, be a prostitute op but she's
    definitely a slag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

"Sexism doesn't exist because I say so. Its just a coincidence that there are so many women bashing threads in AH."

That's not even close to what she said, and she's right.

As for it not being anyone's business, that's crap. People will naturally form an opinion of anything they hear or see, good bad or indifferent. What you actually want is for people not to express themselves, and I don't see any reason people should be silent because you tell them to be.

So, the answer is slag then? She sounds disgusting.

And everyone cut out this double standard crap, if this were a guy the same people would be lining up to bash him and say how he's riddled with STDs.

OP if you use the same washing machine do let us know if you end up with any fungal infections or the like :D

not sure i`d like random guys popping into the house every night of the week from a security point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

As for it not being anyone's business, that's crap. People will naturally form an opinion of anything they hear or see, good bad or indifferent. What you actually want is for people not to express themselves, and I don't see any reason people should be silent because you tell them to be.

Contrary to what you think you are NOT entitled to say whatever you feel on a forum. That's why Mods, and banning systems are in place.

If what you and other posters say is deemed to be offensive to a big portion of people using boards then rules can be changed of what is allowed and what is not.

Would you like to come somewhere where you feel you're not welcome?

It's not my problem if you don't feel welcome, that's your own interpretation of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

:eek:

It's not my problem if you don't feel welcome, that's your own interpretation of the situation.

If you use this mentality then it's okay to say racist words and too bad if those people are offended, it's their problem.

If you use this mentality then it's okay to say racist words and too bad if those people are offended, it's their problem.

That's because people suggest that other races are subhuman, have no good traits, are stupid, natural criminals etc. Those are the ideas behind racist slurs. Slag or slut means someone who sleeps around a lot and indicates the speaker's disapproval. You're not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

That's because people suggest that other races are subhuman, have no good traits, are stupid, natural criminals etc. Those are the ideas behind racist slurs. Slag or slut means someone who sleeps around a lot and indicates the speaker's disapproval. You're not comparing like with like.

I'm not going to stay too long in this thread but a slag and a slut is a lot different.
    A slut isn't that offensive and can be used to describe a man.

A slag is pretty offensive to a woman

I'm not going to stay too long in this thread but a slag and a slut is a lot different.
    A slut isn't that offensive and can be used to describe a man.

A slag is pretty offensive to a woman

News to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

This has really gone off point...

OP, maybe sit down and get to know your new housemate, she probably is a really nice girl.

Tell me, would it bother you if your new housemate was an overweight male bringing different girls up to his room every night?

• Advertisement

I am, the analogy between the two, is that the terms used to insult these people are something that is come up with to intentionally insult one group only due to their race/ sex. Therefore, how is it any different?

News to me.
    Well there you go, learning something new every day :D

But yeah a slag is usually the equivelent of a dirty, diseased ridden slut that'll sleep with anything for well, anything.

I am, the analogy between the two, is that the terms used to insult these people are something that is come up with to intentionally insult one group only due to their race/ sex. Therefore, how is it any different?

Because that isn't actually true.
    Well there you go, learning something new every day

But yeah a slag is usually the equivelent of a dirty, diseased ridden slut that'll sleep with anything for well, anything.

I always thought they were pretty much the same, though slag wouldn't really feature much in my vocabulary. Maybe it varies from place to place.

I always thought they were pretty much the same, though slag wouldn't really feature much in my vocabulary. Maybe it varies from place to place.

I assume it does. But in Dublin at least I've always known it to be another word for a cheap slut that'll do anything to get a free pint or few euros.

I assume it does. But in Dublin at least I've always known it to be another word for a cheap slut that'll do anything to get a free pint or few euros.

Ah, well they'll probably get both the words banned now anyway, so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

OP: Do you find many empty flour bags in with the rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

if they want to take home lads/ladies every night then let them do as they please, but personally i wouldn't have much respect for this said person for 2 reasons. you are sharing with them, its not their own place. if they had any sense of place at all they'd have mentioned it to you in simple terms as "oh i'll have a friend/s coming to visit from time to time, they might be staying over etc" - fancy meeting a stranger on the stairs you might end up clocking by mistaking for a burglar?

and secondly, as the first reason obviously shows disrespect towards you,they have shown themselves to have pretty much a lack of respect for themselves.
    therefore i personally wouldn't have anything to do with someone who sleeps around a lot, promiscous types i have found to be quite manipulative in their motives, not to mention shallow - i'd avoid.

just mind your own business and you'll be fine, you're better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Contrary to what you think you are NOT entitled to say whatever you feel on a forum. That's why Mods, and banning systems are in place.

If what you and other posters say is deemed to be offensive to a big portion of people using boards then rules can be changed of what is allowed and what is not.

Well yeah if it offended a majority of posters then I would expect the individual posters to be censured, however this thread seems to be the opposite, a disproportionate but vocal minority wants to create the impression of outrage where none exists, that offends me more than any humorous responses utilisung the word slag/slut/whale

No. I'd have to look at why I wasn't welcome though. Maybe because it's my fault. That's he case with this slag.

She might not feel welcome but how could she if she's acting in that sort of way, bringing dirtiness into the home she shares with another. There gave to be rules and considerations for who you're living with and this girl doesn't seem to care. She'll dirty the place up if she wants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Way to ruin the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement