Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my housemate a slag or a prostitute?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think if people reread the OP and thought about what if the girl the OP was describing was their mother, sister, girlfriend or best friend, would they maybe see why it bothers some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

So, if you're offended by something it gets banned? I'm offended by ginger bashing, can I get that banned?

What do you think the point of the banning system is? Why do people report posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

What do you think the point of the banning system is? Why do people report posts?

What? I'm talking about having subjects of conversation/terms banned, not people banned. I don't get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Why is there a 'Is she a slag/prosititute' thread in AH.
    Because sadly (as you know - you pointed it out too) society has a double standard with regards to sex. This isn't something that only men are guilty of, and even though I can only really speak for myself, not all men are like that.

Stupid things getting posted here isn't that bad in general as the person can be shown where their thinking is malfunctioning or non-existent. The source for concern is when so many people agree with the nonsense.
    Slag is an offensive term.
    It isn't the term that is bad, it is the ignorant sexism behind it that is the issue. Coaching the language wouldn't make it better. I don't think banning words is the answer. If a person is offended by posts they should report them, but generally I'd rather see people try to bring sanity to a thread than bannings. The ones who really do deserve a banning become clear in time.

Hold on now, I seem to have been misunderstood - I don't want anything banned, I was making a point: So what if you're offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

..I'm saying women should be able to do the same as men sexually without being judged by all and sunder.

They can't do the same thing as men. If they did then they'd all have willies and all women would really be men and then where would women be? They wouldn't be here at all.

Neeson wrote: »
    They can't do the same thing as men. If they did then they'd all have willies and all women would really be men and then where would women be? They wouldn't be here at all.

:D

Every human being should be free to have sex with as many people as they'd like without being called offensive terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pizza delivery?

:D

Every human being should be free to have sex with as many people as they'd like without being called offensive terms.

You don't have an automatic right to censor someone else's opinion. These 'offensive words' are just an expression of that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Piste wrote: »
    I think if people reread the OP and thought about what if the girl the OP was describing was their mother, sister, girlfriend or best friend, would they maybe see why it bothers some people.

Yes. It is very clear. If thst was the mother I'd be disgusted thst she'd do that to my father. I'd be ashamed that the sister was either having a hammer pumped up her each night or that she's stuck in the room, afraid to come out or maybe unable to because of the weight issue. The best friend would be a similar scenario I suppose.

The girlfriend. There's nought to think about here. Why would she be taking other fellas into her room each night ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Neeson wrote: »
    Yes. It is very clear. If thst was the mother I'd be disgusted thst she'd do that to my father. I'd be ashamed that the sister was either having a hammer pumped up her each night or that she's stuck in the room, afraid to come out or maybe unable to because of the weight issue. The best friend would be a similar scenario I suppose.

The girlfriend. There's nought to think about here. Why would she be taking other fellas into her room each night ?

They're not being literal, they are pleading with your sense of humanity to get you to try and empathise with women as fellow human beings, using the example of mothers/sisters because they feel you need to be spoken to in nice, simple analogies (I wonder why)
    I am sick of seeing threads like this every other day. When women try to complain we're told we have no sense of humour.

And then a week later there'll be some pathetic thread about how white men are society's biggest victims.

You don't have an automatic right to censor someone else's opinion. These 'offensive words' are just an expression of that opinion.

No I don't, but offensive terms against ONE gender only shouldn't be used on a board where that gender should be able to feel comfortable coming to.

In fact is there any gender specific insulting term against males like slag? Is there at all? I can't think of any. As I'm trying to think of an example that would annoy you every time you came on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't know if anyone else has been around here as long as I have, but a good while ago, the women in AH brought to the mods attention that AH had become a terribly misogynistic place with 'slag, slut, bitch, ho' being used commonly.

Oh I remember the misogynistic conspiracy campaign lead by a poster who was found out to be making misandry comments herself lol

Oh I remember the misogynistic conspiracy campaign lead by a poster who was found out to be making misandry comments herself lol

That's funny because that's not how I remember it at all...I remember an awful lot of women saying the same thing, standing up for themselves and instigating change.

They're not being literal, they are pleading with your sense of humanity to get you to try and empathise with women as fellow human beings, using the example of mothers/sisters because they feel you need to be spoken to in nice, simple analogies (I wonder why)
    I am sick of seeing threads like this every other day. When women try to complain we're told we have no sense of humour.

And then a week later there'll be some pathetic thread about how white men are society's biggest victims.

That was really well said PrincessLola, proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

In fact is there any gender specific insulting term against males like slag? Is there at all? I can't think of any. As I'm trying to think of an example that would annoy you every time you came on boards.

There are so many more words to describe promiscuous women than men.
    All of them insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

She's sounds gamey. Nothing wrong with being gamey.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Maybe she's on a diet an chewing some cock instead of chocolate bars

No I don't, but offensive terms against ONE gender only shouldn't be used on a board where that gender should be able to feel comfortable coming to.

So you don't have the right to censor someone, but actually you do, but don't worry about that, instead look over here at this *handwaving*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That's funny because that's not how I remember it at all...I remember an awful lot of women saying the same thing, standing up for themselves and instigating change.

Maybe there was two threads but I remember one in feedback and it was a trainwreck

• Advertisement

So you don't have the right to censor someone, but actually you do, but don't worry about that, instead look over here at this *handwaving*

I said I don't have the right to censor anyone's opinion, i.e anyone's thoughts on the matter.

But I do have the right to not see offensive crap about one gender only on a public forum that I frequent.
    And it's not a free for all speech on here. Boards have the right to censor offensive posters.

If enough posters are unhappy about what is being said in a forum, and it has happened before, then yes things do change.

Maybe there was two threads but I remember one in feedback and it was a trainwreck

Yeah I think it was a different thread Gummypanda because the one on AH was agreed to by alot of people, and I thought it had a great resolution and was about equality then I hope misandry.

I disagree about it being such a great reply. People would judge this loved one of mine negatively, assuming she slept with a different guy every night. Do you really think that's some sort of great revelation? *I'd* judge that person negatively too.

I said I don't have the right to censor anyone's opinion, i.e anyone's thoughts on the matter.

But I do have the right to not see offensive crap about one gender only on a public forum that I frequent.
    And it's not a free for all speech on here. Boards have the right to censor offensive posters.

If enough posters are unhappy about what is being said in a forum, and it has happened before, then yes things do change.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot the part where i was supposed to assume you could control people's brains. Because that's what censorship is, direct mind control.

On general principle, people don't have a right to not be offended. I obviously don't run boards so that's up to the powers that be, but that's my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I think I've lived with this girl.you in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

People would judge this loved one of mine negatively, assuming she slept with a different guy every night. *I'd* judge that person negatively too.

The facts of the matter are, it isn't really any of your business to judge. What consenting adults do amongst themselves without harming anyone else is no concern of yours.

There are more important things to moralise about than people's personal lives

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Hasn't anyone bothered to ask what Lando thinks???

Suspicious Couple

There's an OP that'll get to the bottom of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

In fact is there any gender specific insulting term against males like slag?

I would just call a man a slag under the same circumstances as I would refer to a woman as one (usually in a jokey way). Obviously some people judge the sexes differently but not me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelagg2000

A slag is a woman with the morals of a man??

• Advertisement

flash1080 wrote: »
    Well, some young buck spent the night with her last night, they came into the kitchen this morning smelling like stale beer, sweat and ****.

You're out of milk by the way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement