Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

alastair wrote: »
    and all this is proof that the OO was/is state-supported. Gotcha.

Think they would have gotten marching where they wanted without having the weight of the state security protecting them? You really have a denial problem.:D

That's exactly what I was saying. :rolleyes:

Iwouldn't agree that Trimble, RObinson and Paisley are neanderthals but whatever rocks your boat.

Maybe your local lodges aren't indicative of the overall numbers - Keady had a healthy attendance this year, and overall the numbers are still massive. Like it or not, it's still got years of go left in it. The future is going to be about managing the idiots, not hoping the marches wither away.

The interest is waning, of that there is no doubt.
    All that will be left will be the thugs with nothing else to do in the summer.

getzls wrote: »
    What's that saying? Goes like, if a lie is repeated often enough people think it's true? So blame all Unionists for a few foolish, ignorant bigots burning the Polish flag. Would have been hard for the police stop any flag burning.

If you are a member of the OO then by extension you are a sectarian bigot. It's why the moderates are leaving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not all unionists are sectarian. They just want their beliefs respected. I went to see the golf in the north recently and due to lack of planning we stayed in a unionist town. We were a bit nervous going into the local bar but I have to say the locals were very friendly. The bar man went out his way to make us welcome and even told us there is some places we would want to be careful of with out accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Hi,
    I am the author of the viral videos on youtube (“Burning Polish and Irish flags”) about British xenophobic / sectarian orgy across the Belfast. I was quiet until British / Loyalists / Protestants decided to cross very sensitive line – burning our flag which represent history longer than 1000 years. WE (Polish) don’t give a f**k about your local traditions of spreading HATE towards other nations, but when you do the act which we have seen during Nazi occupation prior 1945, you went one step too far.

Time to act and I promise, this will be the last time you have done it.
    I was quiet when kids damaged my cars numerous times.
    I was quiet when little bastards threw garbage, eggs at my home.
    I was quiet when everywhere you go you are pushed to the side for the benefit of local society.
    I was quiet when drive by thugs broke windows in my friend’s car.
    I was quiet when joy riders demolished my friends cars numerous time.
    I was quiet when my wife was verbally abused by the kids age 7-12.
    I can go on and on with listening nationalistic and / colonialistic tactics used on myself or my friends.

A burning polish flag is something new in Belfast this year and it really looks like an organised action, where “order” came from above and sprinkled downwards. It is clear as the sun.

I have tried to call local police – useless as usual. Empty promises, I have tried to react among my closest neighbours (organiser of event live across the road) – no joy. My national flag have been burned in front of my house...

Because of that I am in the process of:
    Spreading the news across the web in Germany, Poland, Ireland and UK.
    Polish Embassy is informed about this unlawful act.
    Polish Association has been informed.
    Polish politicians, prime minister and president received the note about this provocation. In Poland it is the “Hate Crime” punishable with 6 months in jail.
    Belfast council has been informed.
    Polish and British newspapers recieved the message.
    Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, G+ and many other services are used to campaign against such acts.
    And many, many more

2 days = 2000 visitors so far and I am just getting started.
    THE ENTIRE Polish community (2nd biggest after Irish) is outraged and I am the internet voice of it rage. Observe the newspapers...

They are scum alright Tommy. But please make sure when your are letting people in Poland, Germany etc know about this. That you tell them clearly that it is Northern Irish British Loyalists. Not Ordinary Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Noone is saying they can't march or celebrate their tradition but I just don't understand why they feel they have to push themselves down the Ardoyne when they are clearly not welcome. There seems to be no compromise in the OO.
    And I don't know what would bring them down to Dublin to march either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

Noone is saying they can't march or celebrate their tradition but I just don't understand why they feel they have to push themselves down the Ardoyne when they are clearly not welcome. There seems to be no compromise in the OO.
    And I don't know what would bring them down to Dublin to march either.

In all fairness they don't "push themselves down the Ardoyne" - do some research - btw I am not a member of the OO nor do I defend what happened outside that church but I think the whole entire incident has got too much publicity. It is the Dublin/Wicklow lodges that want to march in Dublin - no need for anyone else to be going "down to Dublin".

Bessiebee wrote: »
    It is the Dublin/Wicklow lodges that want to march in Dublin - no need for anyone else to be going "down to Dublin".

Who on top of the protestant nonsense give their allegiance to the crown?
    More insane than their northern bretren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Sorry but they do march, the annual 12th is in Rossnowlagh, County DONEGAL on the Saturday before the 12th. There does be even some Catholics in attendance - in fact half the marchers are married to one, some even have children which could be described as such :eek:

No sh/te stirring either - Donegal County Council very tolerant.

I think it's fair to add that most people in the Ireland are very tolerant.
    Where respect is shown, it is returned.

There is none of the triumphalist, provocative behaviour being discussed in this thread shown by marchers in Donegal - and there is, therefore, no resistance among the locals to the march.

Maybe the louts shown in the video could learn a thing or two from the organisers of the Donegal march?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Who on top of the protetstant nonsense give their allegiance to the crown?

care to elaborate on "protestant nonsense"??

In all fairness they don't "push themselves down the Ardoyne" - do some research - btw I am not a member of the OO nor do I defend what happened outside that church but I think the whole entire incident has got too much publicity. It is the Dublin/Wicklow lodges that want to march in Dublin - no need for anyone else to be going "down to Dublin".

Really? So you think they are welcomed in the Ardoyne do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Who on top of the protetstant nonsense give their allegiance to the crown?

I do find it confusing that people who were born in Ireland consider themselves British, and give their allegiance to the Crown.

However, it is their Democratic right to march, provided they do so in a peaceful manner, without the triumphalist nonsense displayed by some lodges in the North.

I say let them at it - but the route should take account of Republican sensibilities, and avoid areas such as the Garden of Remembrance, GPO, etc.

Any provocative displays by the marchers should result in that Lodge being barred from marching next year.

That way, the Orange Order members rights are respected, no offence is given to Nationalists - and any trouble has consequences.
    Also, Dublin City centre will not be brought to a standstill, thus limiting the impact on an already struggling business community.

It can be done - it just requires basic respect from both sides - and a Garda presence to ensure that the march is trouble free.

Really? So you think they are welcomed in the Ardoyne do you?

Where did I say that?? I just said the phrase "pushing themselves down the Ardoyne" was a bit inaccurate, though they might very well be welcome by the protestant people in the Ardoyne. Yes, I do believe some protestants may live there too.

I am not an OO sympathiser, I just reckon there are more important things in life to get stressed about.

Where did I say that?? I just said the phrase "pushing themselves down the Ardoyne" was a bit inaccurate, though they might very well be welcome by the protestant people in the Ardoyne. Yes, I do believe some protestants may live there too.

I am not an OO sympathiser, I just reckon there are more important things in life to get stressed about.

That's your opinion that there are more important things to get stressed about but alot of people have an interest in what is happening on this island to people who are from the same backround as the rest of us and the disrespect shown to our flag every year by that lot.

alastair wrote: »
    I've lived in NI for years, am still a regular visitor, and my partner is from Belfast. I'm well aware of the reality.

I'll guess you are a Dublin protestant going out with a Belfast protestant and are well and truly bought and sold by the idea of unionism/loyalism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

woodoo wrote: »
    I'll guess you are a Dublin protestant going out with a Belfast protestant and are well and truly bought and sold by the idea of unionism/loyalism

you should do the lotto

That's your opinion that there are more important things to get stressed about but alot of people have an interest in what is happening on this island to people who are from the same backround as the rest of us and the disrespect shown to our flag every year by that lot.

I'm sorry if you don't get where I'm coming from but disrespect from both sides has been going on for years and a band being deliberately provocative even in 2012 is not something anyone should be suprised at.

The only solution to the entire situation both North and South is integrated education starting at primary level - those children with the band in that video will grow up with a hatred of everything catholic and perhaps if they actually met a few catholics and mixed with them they might have a better chance of avoiding the bigotry of their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bit of a sectarian generalisation there, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Man arrested for attempted murder it seems during rioting, wonder how far he came to be offended? They have travelled from far and wide before.

Nodin wrote: »
    Bit of a sectarian generalisation there, tbh.

It is a guess based on how he is coming across in his posts. There is nothing general about it.

• Advertisement

It is a guess based on how he is coming across in his posts.

It rather presumes that protestant=unionist/loyalist. I think it time we moved passed that kind of thing.

Man arrested for attempted murder it seems during rioting, wonder how far he came to be offended? They have travelled from far and wide before.

So whats that vague rant to do with some shower in their fancy boy-scout uniforms playing their hate filled crap outside a catholic church?

It rather presumes that protestant=unionist/loyalist. I think it time we moved passed that kind of thing.

I used his name too in my guesstimate...

Alistair from dublin defending the OO, going out with a belfast girl. Its a pure guess.

A generalisation would be if i heard they were protestants and assumed he was a unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Laneyh wrote: »
    There are a few Orange Orders in the South in Donegal & Cavan.. Do they march on the 12th get up to anything that riles the rest of the population ?

There's quite a few lodges in this part of the world, but rarely any trouble/controversy. They get funding from the (Irish) state for refurbishment of Orange Halls etc. and the Dept. of Foreign Affairs are one of the main financial backers of the Apprentice Boys parade each year in Derry.

???????

Yeah, don't know what happened there! :D

???????

Yeah, don't know what happened there!

So whats that vague rant to do with some shower in their fancy boy-scout uniforms playing their hate filled crap outside a catholic church?
    Well, the title of the thread is, orange provocation. Think the O.O. were well away by the time the rioters and gunmen appeared. Old habits die hard.

Well, the title of the thread is, orange provocation. Think the O.O. were well away by the time the rioters and gunmen appeared. Old habits die hard.

So the OO marching down an area they weren't wanted in, and skipping a few miles nobody cared about to get there had nothing to do with it. Coincidence.

care to elaborate on "protestant nonsense"??

The OO's enshrined belief; here, in Africa, in America, in Bray, is to defend the protestant faith against the demonic influences of the roman church. It underpins everything they stand for, they will defile the crown if the crown turns against protestantism or the 'reformation' or what the OO stands for.
    The OO in Dublin and Wicklow is such a non entity that it managed to pass under the radar of my wife, who is a proud and good protestant who was born into the biggest protestant parish in Dublin and who never, ever heard of the existence of an Orange lodge in her parish. That Orange lodge is being used by the Northern organisation in an attempt to bring legitimacy to it's existence.
    Here, for a giggle, is their gritted teeth welcome of Michael D. Higgins election to President, it kinda speaks for itself in it vaingloriousness,
    As President, he will be responsible for protecting the civil and religious liberties, which flow from the Glorious Revolution of 1688, and which are enshrined in the Irish Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights.

• Advertisement

I went to Boarding School in Dublin, not too far from your wife's church - a big Protestant School - guess what, everyone there had heard of the OO and the existence of a Lodge in Dublin - no one ever admitted to being keen to join or learn anything about it but they knew it existed - guess your wife was living in a bubble or maybe she confused it with the Masonic Lodge and denies all knowledge about being aware of its existence which of course she would be conditioned to do.

Advertisement