Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sega were doing full speed PAL conversions by the end of the Megadrives life, something Nintendo only really did for the Mario games. They did some excellent PAL conversions on the Saturn, the only duff one was Panzer Dragoon Saga which had no optimisation and graphical errors but at the time considering the Saturn's market it's a miracle it got released at all.

Also remember it took the Dreamcast and it's support of PAL60 and a massive backlash against terrible PAL conversions on PS2 for Sony to allow developers release games in Europe with the option to play them in NTSC 60 Hz.

I miss Sega and it's blue skies :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, just finished MW3... That's 5 hours I'll never get back, well, I'll say this much for it, at least the acting, storyline, special fx and camera work were better than in Expendables 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I finished Fall of Cybertron this evening. Last level was pretty epic, but over all it was a tad bland and really only fun if grew up with the cartoons as it's loaded with cute references.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just after watching the latest Breaking Bad. One one more episode now and then the wait until next summer begins. I think it may kill me!

I know right, end of the last episode I was so pissed off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, now what?
    I had a look at the collection and reckon, it's time to organise that mother, stop buying for a while....
    I have amassed a lot and I find I'm just not able to find the time to play it all.
    Admittedly my son is soon to return to school, and so I will have some more free time to "indulge" myself, but I really need to make sense of it all.

I may have to engage Kerbdog and figure some sort of new plan for the gamesroom, on that allows for better access to all my stuff.

Another upcoming worry is that I have a new CRT coming into my life, more impressive than the Sony, it's 32"s and scary heavy, it'll have to be hoisted up the roof and in the attic window!!
    This issue is, do I now relegate the Sony 29" Trini to Tate Mode duties???
    Is this a sin?
    Might I wind up in retrogamer hell, and have to play Goldenaxe for all eternity???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, now what?
    I had a look at the collection and reckon, it's time to organise that mother, stop buying for a while....
    I have amassed a lot and I find I'm just not able to find the time to play it all.
    Admittedly my son is soon to return to school, and so I will have some more free time to "indulge" myself, but I really need to make sense of it all.

I may have to engage Kerbdog and figure some sort of new plan for the gamesroom, on that allows for better access to all my stuff.

Another upcoming worry is that I have a new CRT coming into my life, more impressive than the Sony, it's 32"s and scary heavy, it'll have to be hoisted up the roof and in the attic window!!
    Is this a sin?
    Might I wind up in retrogamer hell, and have to play Goldenaxe for all eternity???

Is it a 32" Sony arriving? 4:3 or 16:9?

Also, the casing on the 29" won't support lying on its side for tate mode, or I'd be very surprised if it did.

Are you reverse hoisting the 29" back out the window too? I wouldn't fancy trying to manhandle that thing down your windy attic stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know right, end of the last episode I was so pissed off!

One of the best lines in the series

Breaking Bad Spoiler -
    Shut the **** up, and let me die in peace
    Really heart breaking stuff. He was quite possibly my favourite character in the show
    Is this a sin?

Nooo no no no. Do that and the side casing will break, the tv will collapse on itself, the CRT will implode and your attic will be uninhabitable for 100 years.

Okay, bit dramatic..but the part about the tv breaking itself is correct!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    One of the best lines in the series

Breaking Bad Spoiler -
    It's funny that some posters online are trying to convince themselves that he isn't dead.

Shot in the stomach, reflecting on his imminent demise and slumped over: a rather definitive RIP.

Ok.....
    Well, the other TV is one Kerbdog bought in the last decade, it is not a Sony, not sure what brand it is but it is a 100hz model.
    Might see if it can be moved up as a second TV, I may split the signal feed from the consoles between the two, although there is no real, practical reason to do so, won't improve the image.
    And the effort of getting this behemoth into the attic room.... could wind up banjaxing the new TV as well...
    I could get Kerbdog to stick it on the trading forum instead...
    Leave things as they are!

I never thought of the casing imploding tbh, the Philips seems to like being on it's side.... something slightly pervy about that statement....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Giant Gundam is undeniably amazing. The Giant Gundam Box is... bizarre?

original.jpg

Oh Japan!

• Advertisement

Just imagine the size of the toy shop that came out of!!

The Hello Kitty toys must be a sight to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

The Giant Gundam is undeniably amazing. The Giant Gundam Box is... bizarre?

Oh Japan!

I knew they called them garage kits but I didn't know you could use the empty packaging as a garage afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Deforest.png

Where is that box? Is it in Diver City? I never saw it there. Either that or it's an elaborate Photoshop. :confused:

That RX78 Gundam is a sight to behold indeed. I brought back the official photo book for Gundam Front, it has lots of great shots showing how the statue was designed and constructed. Very cool indeed.

Part of some toy exhibition happening somewhere at the moment.

Also, Universal Studios Osaka is Resident Evil themed from mid September until at least Halloween. Would be interesting.

Well, I don't know about you lot but this is my sons last day of his summer holidays, he's going into 3rd class tomorrow and, seeing as I have let him gorge himself on TV and Videogames, I'm going to do something a little more positive and take him to the zoo....
    Hopefully they'll let me leave with him, and not assume I am stealing a lemur or something....

Then it'll be back home for more videogames! Hooray!

Well, I don't know about you lot but this is my sons last day of his summer holidays, he's going into 3rd class tomorrow and, seeing as I have let him gorge himself on TV and Videogames, I'm going to do something a little more positive and take him to the zoo....
    Hopefully they'll let me leave with him, and not assume I am stealing a lemur or something....

Then it'll be back home for more videogames! Hooray!

The Zoo?
    On summer holidays?
    At peak time?

Lol, may god have mercy on your soul. The Zoo is like town, if you wanna survive it without needing two Xanax & a course of anti-depressants, you need to be there early & be leaving when 'the others' arrive. Sometimes I wonder who should be in the enclosures at that place, the animals or the customers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The Zoo was One of the biggest let downs of my childhood. Wow a goat!
    And that walking with dinosaurs yoke was nothing like Jurassic park. The exhibit in the Zoo not the BBC series, which I actually kinda liked despite it's lack of cool jeeps.

Ciderman at 6pm tonight

heart-attack-man-500x400.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shin Megami Tensei IV trailer:

You should see where I work, the zoo is like relaxation time to me!
    No hassle, it's busy but not too bad, bought goodies in Tesco on the way so my wallet doesn't get "violated"!
    Fun so far!

• Advertisement

You should see where I work, the zoo is like relaxation time to me!
    No hassle, it's busy but not too bad, bought goodies in Tesco on the way so my wallet doesn't get "violated"!
    Fun so far!

I actually like the place, it's when its packed full of morons I tend to get stressed in it. And a wise move there going to Tesco...Zoo prices are not for the faint of heart!

Watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad last night and I like it so far. The Pokemon/Breaking Bad crossover gif convinced me finally to take the plunge.

Only 7 episodes in season one though. Do the other seasons enjoy extended runs?

Yup. First series was produced during the writer's strike hence its abbreviated length. I still think season three is when it goes from 'this is really good' to 'OK, this is amazing'

I needed something to watch since I finished Mad Men and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

It's nice to hear that it actually improves in quality in the latter seasons as opposed deteriorating.

I kicked off Battlestar Galactica (2003/2008) on the US Netflix there. Is it generally very slow to get going, the pilot was a bit of a struggle to get through....I know its a very well liked show in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EnterNow wrote: »
    I kicked off Battlestar Galactica (2003/2008) on the US Netflix there. Is it generally very slow to get going, the pilot was a bit of a struggle to get through....I know its a very well liked show in fairness

Its slow to get going alright. I found it a slog to get through the 1st 3/4 of season 1 (watched it bit by bit over time) then I watched the rest in under a couple weeks :o

Gods, I loved that show.
    Glad they finished it when they did though.
    They certainly raised a few eyebrows, particularly with the
    human rebellion thing, the suicide bombers etc.
    The
    angel thing at the end was supremely odd as well

Yeah Battlestar was my latest binge and it's brilliant. The end of Season 1 to the middle of Season 3 run is almost uniformly excellent. It's still really good before and after that (a few dud storylines / episodes aside), but some of the stuff they pull off at its peak is staggering. Impressively grim show, too. I'd be the same as Chinholio - watched it casually for most of the first season, than it was 2-4 episodes every night :pac: Video game time be damned!

I'd recommend turning off the last episode maybe around ten minutes before it ends though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I didn't mind the ending too much.
    It's what Mass Effect was trying to do except not quite as sh*t. There's no reason to assume supernatural intervention either. My take was that it was advanced AIs that were spanning multiple cycles of the story that keeps playing out over and over.

• Advertisement

My problem with it was that it suddenly reduced a surprisingly complex series long morality
    down to 'robots are bad m'kay' with a stinky All Along the Watchtower montage.

Also all that
    'God did it' stuff. And the whole Starbuck business. Even episodes one and two of the finale were very satisfying. Then straight up nonsense town, which was just a really clunky way to conclude so much good work.

But that Grace Park ey? Phwoar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement