Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pyongyang in Hollywood Blockbuster shocker

tumblr_m6wolhLbzp1qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Lucky bastard. Also I've never understood why the US / EU NES carts are so fricken big when you consider that most of the boards in them are tiny...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The later boards with more ROM, SRAM and MMC chips are much larger and take up more space. It was pretty much future proofing by Nintendo. Golf was a launch title that probably didn't even have UNROM in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The later boards with more ROM, SRAM and MMC chips are much larger and take up more space. It was pretty much future proofing by Nintendo. Golf was a launch title that probably didn't even have UNROM in it.

I thought they were that size because they needed to be that big to make it easier to insert and remove from the horrible toaster that is the the EU and US NES. The famicom carts are tiny compared to the NES and when they needed more space for chips the just put more chips on both sides of the PCB with having to change the cartridge size.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's true that even the bigger carts don't take up all the room inside the cartridge but because of the toaster design the carts had to be a standard size so best to overcompensate than to run into problems later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If they were any smaller you wouldn't be able to get them out of the NES though :confused:

So if you wanted to change the design, you'd have to fundamentally change the design of the NES. Top loader excluded, but that came later on

It's true that even the bigger carts don't take up all the room inside the cartridge but because of the toaster design the carts had to be a standard size so best to overcompensate than to run into problems later.

Do you have any links to pics or info on the larger PCB's.
    I've opened and cleaned about 300 NES carts over the last couple of months and never seen a larger PCB, just different layouts and weird almost completely flat chips covered in black goo.

Games with SRAM like Zelda or Final Fantasy take up about half the space in the Cartridge, I'm not sure what later more advanced games like Dragon Warrior 4 or Castelvania 3 look like especially MMC5 games with SRAM since they aren't very common.

Games with SRAM like Zelda or Final Fantasy take up about half the space in the Cartridge, I'm not sure what later more advanced games like Dragon Warrior 4 or Castelvania 3 look like especially MMC5 games with SRAM since they aren't very common.

Ahh, ok. But what I meant is PCB's bigger than what is inside a famicom cart.
    I've never seen any bigger than that. The PCB inside my Zelda is 6cm x 10.1cm if memory serves and shiny black on the inside of the case and of course shiny gold on the outside.

Here's a final fantasy PCB:

http://www.54.org/sage/condev/ff2cartproject/ff1cartopen.jpg

I'd say it would definitely fit in a famicom cartridge.

As I said I think it was just future proofing by Nintendo. Famicom carts come in all different shapes and sizes since I think Nintendo didn't control Cart manufacture in Japan while in American they controlled the manufacture of all cartridges and kept them standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm liking Dr. Who lads, its very watchable right from the get go :cool:

Billy Piper in chav mode is a bonus as well. There's something awful durty about her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm liking Dr. Who lads, its very watchable right from the get go :cool:

I might watch them all again myself in the next few months, started watching battlestar again last night and i want to watch those new Star Trek TNG remastered episodes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Billy Piper in chav mode is a bonus as well. There's something awful durty about her.

In that case I would urge you to watch Secret Diary of a Call Girl on Netflix. Just make sure you have the Netflix/facebook link turned off :p

This was me when she gave up the singing career:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Enrolled for another year in college

CCNA is the aim but im going to lash into the Security + and Linux + as well on my own time.

If i dont get a job after this then i give up:eek:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Enrolled for another year in college

CCNA is the aim but im going to lash into the Security + and Linux + as well on my own time.

If i dont get a job after this then i give up:eek:

Good stuff, would you not grab a few MS exams before the CCNA so the foundations are there? That's what I used to look for when I was hiring people for support roles in IT.
    I'm well sick of Cisco exams myself after doing loads of them purely to boost the CV as I've no real interest in that type of thing myself. I do mainly contract work now so a strong CV is a must to get in the door for interviews and all that stuff so I found myself doing courses and exams I really didn't want to do just to keep myself skilled up and its part of the reason I'm looking to get out of IT completely in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This was me when she gave up the singing career:

And the two of them went on to be Doctor Who villains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Steve SI wrote: »
    Good stuff, would you not grab a few MS exams before the CCNA so the foundations are there? That's what I used to look for when I was hiring people for support roles in IT.
    I'm well sick of Cisco exams myself after doing loads of them purely to boost the CV as I've no real interest in that type of thing myself. I do mainly contract work now so a strong CV is a must to get in the door for interviews and all that stuff so I found myself doing courses and exams I really didn't want to do just to keep myself skilled up and its part of the reason I'm looking to get out of IT completely in the next year or two.

I'd second that, I think the MS certs are better starting off. Its easyer to get experience once you get a foot in the door somewhere. Not many places will let you muck about with core switches, compared to doing a bit of AD work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

2 weeks until I move to Dublin \o/
    Apartment hunting is the devil -____-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Steve SI wrote: »

Lol you want to get out and i want to get in:D

By any chance would you have any study books/ebooks that you want rid of?

I have found a few but they are pdfs and my kindle doesnt work great with them.:mad:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Lol you want to get out and i want to get in:D

By any chance would you have any study books/ebooks that you want rid of?

I have found a few but they are pdfs and my kindle doesnt work great with them.:mad:

I think the only stuff I have is for the CCIE exams as that's the last ones I did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive a bunch of them here. the Citrix one is outdated now for sure. but the rest you can have for nothing if you can collect them from me (Merrion square Dublin) thats if your interested in them..

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/microsoft-citrix-course-books-some-others/1552855

Edit: I was being a bit cheeky trying to sell them anyways haha..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't looked at a book in 18 years!
    Well, I've done manual handling, management, suicide prevention, Aed training, management of aggression and violence, those sorts of things.
    I'm a manager myself but in this line of work someone with their academia in order is all well and good but for the main work you need a good practical mind and not to be easily frightened!
    Thank the gods for gaming to act as a distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think I still have loads of DVDs I got a few years ago full of study crap. (Text, video & interactive)
    MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CISSP, CompTIA, PHP, SQL, Linux, UNIX.
    God knows how much of it is even relevant anymore but it helped me bullsh!t through a few interviews :pac:
    Handiest thing I found to help with Cisco stuff is GNS3.
    Its a network simulator and with a bit of searching you can find the firmware files for different Cisco routers & switches. Not a foolproof way of learning but is very helpful for practice & understanding the gibberish youre reading.
    Only problem is (in my case), unless im actually working with something I forget it within a week or 2 :o

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't looked at a book in 18 years!
    Well, I've done manual handling, management, suicide prevention, Aed training, management of aggression and violence, those sorts of things.
    I'm a manager myself but in this line of work someone with their academia in order is all well and good but for the main work you need a good practical mind and not to be easily frightened!
    Thank the gods for gaming to act as a distraction!

I wish I'd not looked at an academic book in 18 years :D I've been in IT for about 12 years now and I don't think I've had 1 single year where I haven't done a selection of exams.

And my GF has done those suicide prevention, aggression and violence management and loads of things like that and a lot of them had books. Are you sure you've not been studying up Mr CiderDude?? NERD :D

Might install GTA4 when I get back to Ireland and give this mod a go. The time travel actually works on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They need to make it so you can time travel back to LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

DinoRex wrote: »
    They need to make it so you can time travel back to LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption.

I wouldn't mind seeing a duel between John Marston and Niko Bellend. You can probably figure which shooting mechanic is going to prevail. Rejoice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

And I thought that putting a few 50 euro notes inside a hollowed out MD case was a good idea

Looks like I have to put them inside consoles now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement