Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    commandowrong.gif

My mam was given something amazing recently, my great, great (!) grandfather's valve radio.

It's a huge yolk, but still works once the valves heat up.

I asked could I have it and was laughed at :(

Ah so it was you who liked them. I wasn't sure. I change my mind now, your cool not like that Enternow.

Anyway all this audiophile stuff must be terra incognito for Ciderman

• Registered Users Posts: 34,616 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah so it was you who liked them.

More then one person can like a band :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Here is what I'm using right now Sony CMTBX77DBI Mini Hi-Fi with DAB Radio and iPod Dock.
    Here lads just ignore me tonight. I was buttering Chrismas cake there a while back, I though it was toast and never copped it wasn't until I put the jam on and my partner told me to stop messing. Waste of plum jam!

Regards music quality. I haven't put my point across accurately, so I'll try to succinct and say the quality is only really noticeable between 320 and lossless at the higher end of the equipment.

I also realise that it is possible for two people to like GnR however unlikely that sounds. Now if it was Neil Young we wouldn't of had this confusion.

I also was trying to be controversial when I said FZ-10 was the nicer model. I was going to follow that with trying to convince people of the benefits of the neo geo cd and how gameboy was streets ahead if the game gear without even considering the game library and how western box artwork was better than Japanese box art.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTTDRUNK_zpsb2f37ea2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

very tempted to make my first release date purchase in years, in the form of Ni No Kuni on the PS3.
    Level 5 + Studio Ghibli = WIN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'm not overly into music, so don't put much thought into how that sounds.

But use WAV all the way on my work projects though. (Would use a different lossless format but our playback software doesn't support much else.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

enhanced-buzz-29703-1351748719-0.jpg
    Meh. He's done this sort of thing before.

high-expectations-asian-father-photo-u1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Everyone...everyone...EVERYONE! Video Games Live is on Sky Arts 1, right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Dermot Jewell is the man to nail on this

Stupid arsehole saying you have no rights on vouchers unless you bought by credit card

This rule has been in law for years and its THIS Dickheads job to fight for a change.

Proactive is the way NOT Reactive

I Will be posting this elsewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

BAkFYp2CAAEABq5.jpg

Illegal street race busted:

KMnLi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Just to say I can definitely hear the difference between 320 and Flac on my stereo but not on my iPOD which is a god send really as its only 16gb anyway. Speaking of 320, anyhing under it sounds like music squeezed through a bee's ars3. Honestly can't stand listening to stuff under a certain bit rate yet friends say that they can't tell the difference. I'm convinced they are somehow deaf or ignoring the whispy hissing crap thats supposed to be hihats. I'm also the last person in my circle of friends who buys CD's :( times they are a changing and I HATE it :mad:

drunk rat over.. bed yum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep my voucher was declined today, fairly repulsive policy seeing they've been paid for the vouchers. They've effectively stolen money from the public.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/grandad-walks-out-of-hmv-with-computer-games-after-staff-refuse-to-accept-gift-voucher-3354747.html

Yeah I seen that earlier, fair play to him really. The store has the money for those games sitting in the till somewhere.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Dermot Jewell is the man to nail on this

Stupid arsehole saying you have no rights on vouchers unless you bought by credit card

This rule has been in law for years and its THIS Dickheads job to fight for a change.

I was thinking about this whole vouchers thing last night. As of yesterday, HMV have entered administration in the UK, which means that they have the UK court's protection from their UK creditors, but that court's jurisdiction doesn't or shouldn't extend to Irish creditors, they would need to enter examinership (Ireland's version of administration) to have that protection here. Now, most of HMV's stock arrangements and operations are handled through the UK (they just send stock to their Irish stores for sale here) and so the UK is likely to be where the vast bulk of their liabilities and creditors are, even arising from stock that ends up on Irish shelves or payroll operations that affect Irish workers, but at the moment, Irish vouchers holders don't fall into that group of their UK creditors that they're covered against. English ones do, but not Irish ones...

They'll probably enter examinership here pretty soon too, but the argument could be made that HMV's decision not to honour vouchers in Ireland (as of right now) has no legal backing, as they are not yet protected by the irish courts from their irish creditors.

I'm sure it will be tested in court soon, as there's a media outrage going on, but I'd advise anyone who has a HMV voucher in Ireland to get down to their local HMV and try to redeem it quickly before they do enter examinership here. You'll be told no, undoubtedly (and try to bring a witness or get proof, preferably dated and in writing from a store manager) but unless you at least try before HMV's irish operations go into examinership, you won't have a case for them to answer later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well if there's one happy ending to this whole affair, its that one kid out there has gotten his dream copy of Euro Truck Simulator 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well if there's one happy ending to this whole affair, its that one kid out there has gotten his dream copy of Euro Truck Simulator 2.

It's actually pretty good.

Anyway, that chap should've been arrested for stealing! :p

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's actually pretty good.

Anyway, that chap should've been arrested for stealing! :p

Are you double trolling?:D

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

urbanledge wrote: »
    Are you double trolling?:D

Nope. Just on the arrested part. Something relaxing about driving a truck about the place, they look cool too.

Re: HMV. The CEO was on the news last night saying they have a good brand name and would re-open shops in a different format and re-launch a better website. The chap sounded out of touch with reality although it might have just been PR bull.

Master of the Universe

Just after walking by HMV Grafton street. All the doors closed with litltle signs

'this store is closed until further notice'

:(

Just after walking by HMV Grafton street. All the doors closed with litltle signs

'this store is closed until further notice'

:(

What the sign really means:

'this store is closed until further notice because we used all the voucher money for our debts & as such each voucher used is gonna cost us. Given that we're only two weeks into January there's still a lot of vouchers out there so we are better off shutting shop & keeping your money. Wish us well'

DinoRex wrote: »

That's terrible. A really serious matter of life and death for a little girl that's going to get swallowed up in legal limbo while HMV bickers with it's creditors. frown.png How depressing.
    Re: HMV. The CEO was on the news last night saying they have a good brand name and would re-open shops in a different format and re-launch a better website. The chap sounded out of touch with reality although it might have just been PR bull.

I'd say it was pure PR bull. Their business model is broken and their brand is taking a hammering as a result of years of bad management and the negative press over the administration situation. At the very least, as a bricks and mortar shop, HMV is a dead duck. What makes them think they can buck the trend if the likes of Virgin, Zavvi, and the rest can't?

That was just a cynical damage limitation exercise from their CEO to keep the wolf from the door and buy them some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd say it was pure PR bull. Their business model is broken and their brand is taking a hammering as a result of years of bad management and the negative press over the administration situation. At the very least, as a bricks and mortar shop, HMV is a dead duck. What makes them think they can buck the trend if the likes of Virgin, Zavvi, and the rest can't?

That was just a cynical damage limitation exercise from their CEO to keep the wolf from the door and buy them some time.

HMV Canada is doing quite well. Granted, its fortunes went up as soon as the HMV group sold it, but hey, despite some mild market differences, the key to its success was not crippling itself with rents and loss leaders.

http://tinyurl.com/aoq6zvw
    As HMV’s UK business enters administration after battling market pressures, Retail Week asks how the entertainment retailer’s Canadian business is achieving strong growth

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    HMV Canada is doing quite well. Granted, its fortunes went up as soon as the HMV group sold it, but hey, despite some mild market differences, the key to its success was not crippling itself with rents and loss leaders...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/15/business-hmv-canada.html

HMV canada exited the digital downloads market last year i think (it couldn't compete with the big boys), and has only stayed profitable in bricks and mortar by cutting back on lower or no cost margin stuff like video games, dvd's, and the like and focusing on high margin stuff like posters, t-shirts, mugs, and other expensive nick nacks that aren't media.

This only serves to reinforce the point that there's no money in selling physical media in bricks and mortar shops anymore, and the model is changing to online.

Mods: This is a really interesting discussion, but it's got feck all to do with retro games. Should we move it to it's own thread, or can we just carry on messing up this one?:D

Master of the Universe

Well this is our 'off topic' thread so I wouldn't see any harm in it. It's up to Ciderdude though.

There's also currently a HMV discussion thread over in the games forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855363&page=12

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hmv in dundrum also closed today with a note to say it'll re open soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement