Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    In fairness, the WWF/WWE have been interspersing their own programming with notices of 'this is scripted entertainment, please don't try at home', for 30 years-ish, so the notion of it being an oily man-drama isn't all that revelatory anymore

I never implied it was a revelation though, or did I? No disputing that the chaps involved arn't fit/good athletes etc...its just wrestling lost its appeal to me as a nine year old kid once I found out they wern't actually fighting.

I remember the Louis Theroux documentary on it, it was more local town stuff {deep south hicks of course} but still a good insight into it. I think they see it more as a form of theater really...one chap brought a blade into the ring & was meant to cut his forehead with it at some point in the match but ended up cutting too deep & bled all over the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only remember any of it due to my brother being into it, back when Mean Gene was commentating, all silly stuff.
    I never understood gamers being into the wrestling games but they were huge, particularly the releases on the N64, massively popular games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Supposedly the N64 games were great, although the best two stayed in Japan. There's a good article on HG101 about them.

None of them will beat the Fire Pro Wrestling games that Suda 51 worked on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any of the licensed WWE (or WWF as it was in our day, until those animal lovers stole it) games I've played over the years have been appalling. Saw my younger cousin playing the most recent entry and its just the same as it was back in the PS1 days. It doesn't translate well for some reason, seeming horribly rigid and mechanical. There was no sense of naturalism about it - actually, in a weird sort of way doesn't that make it a perfect emulation of said 'sport' ;)

But yeah, mainstream wrestling is just bull****. Soap opera by another name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

EnterNow wrote: »
    I never implied it was a revelation though, or did I? No disputing that the chaps involved arn't fit/good athletes etc...its just wrestling lost its appeal to me as a nine year old kid once I found out they wern't actually fighting.

I remember the Louis Theroux documentary on it, it was more local town stuff {deep south hicks of course} but still a good insight into it. I think they see it more as a form of theater really...one chap brought a blade into the ring & was meant to cut his forehead with it at some point in the match but ended up cutting too deep & bled all over the place.

I watched that a while ago. Its very interesting and I used to love wrestling back in the day. The games are still fun to play to this day, in the right nostalgic company, and I have Royal Rumble plugged into my Naomi right now.

I stopped watching it when I was about 13 though. Right about the time they stopped jumping off ladders onto each other and stuff. I think most wresting fans as children are after getting into watching or doing MMA since getting older, well most people in around my age anyway. I kind of see it as the grown up version of wrestling now. Regardless or what you think of it they are fantastic athletes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The more ridiculous and theatrical the better, and it's camp nonsense at the best of times.
    Probably formed the only entertaining bit of Bruno as well, I believe Baron Cohen was nearly killed by the crowd at that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I only remember any of it due to my brother being into it, back when Mean Gene was commentating, all silly stuff.
    I never understood gamers being into the wrestling games but they were huge, particularly the releases on the N64, massively popular games.

Never was a huge wrestling fan, not even as a kid although back when Jake the Snake, Hogan and the Ultimate warrior were bouncing around the ring it was impossible not to think it was the coolest thing on planet earth :D

Game wise even I bought WCW/nWo Revenge and WWF wrestlemania 2000 for the N64. Both were brilliant fighting games. Def Jam vendetta used the same engine as the N64 games and I remember that being good craic too, just with rappers and more mashing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Not a mega fan of WWE/WWF but still enjoy it from time to time now.
    As child I used to watch it alot with my brother, we used to have fake matches, his move was the Roofrex (holding me by my ankles over his back).
    One of my bffs was huge into it and still is so we used to have fake matches as well, he was always Trish Stratus.

Prefer to hear the latest from the lads, it always seems to be funnier.
    the most recent entry and its just the same as it was back in the PS1 days. It doesn't translate well for some reason, seeming horribly rigid and mechanical.
    I used to love wrestling back in the day. The games are still fun to play to this day, in the right nostalgic company, and I have Royal Rumble plugged into my Naomi right now.
    +1
    I've played most of the wrestling games, can't remember the last/newest one I did but it's true, it's so rigid in movement but have gotten great laughs off it so can't say I hate it.
    I think most wresting fans as children are after getting into watching or doing MMA since getting older. Regardless or what you think of it they are fantastic athletes
    I don't know many that watch MMA but tbh I haven't asked. The only MMA fighter I know, is Genki Sudo over you showing me his song lol.

Speaking of Sudo, it reminded me, we need more cosplaying kickboxers (dem Touhou cosplays! <3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's Bob Sapp too. I dunno anything about MMA, let alone the Japanese stuff, but he's pretty awesome for reasons made clear below.
    He's a pro-wrestler too, if that explains anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Can't forget about hard gay either. He's a pro wrestler in Japan.

Ah Genki Sudo is the man. Here what happened to Bob Sapp after he fought someone who was fairly good http://youtu.be/vOx9vRVVRQI?t=1m39s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

And here we have one of the bloodiest matches out there.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Def Jam vendetta used the same engine as the N64 games and I remember that being good craic too, just with rappers and more mashing
    didn't play Vendetta but did FFNY which I'd great fun with :3
    Ah Genki Sudo is the man.
    His Love and Everything is way better than the World Order version (have it get that again, still collecting music from when my lappy broke). They've a new album called 2012, only just saw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Used to love a bit of Wrestlefest in the arcade:

Although one year I was given Wrestlemania on the Amiga for xmas.

A part of me died that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So...anyone remember the greatness that was The Mystic Knights of Tír na nÓg?

6MSHJ.jpg

Yes... made by the same people that brought you The Power Rangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

All this time and I'm only noticing now that the Doom guy is only holding one gun:

Doom_cover_art.jpg

Hi-res version

Anyone else get the Adventure Time game?
    Just finished it, fantastic game but very disappointed with the length, played a bit at night and finished in a week.
    I unlocked hard mode but not arsed.

My son has it but he seems far more interested in DQIX, pity if something as cool as AT turns out to produce a m'eh video game, given the opportunity.

I didnt get it yet, worth getting or wait till it goes for a bit cheaper?

• Advertisement

Probably worth seeing if it comes out over here, and then get the limited edition on the 3DS, but I think it is Zelda LttP lite

Noticed that Under Defeat HD has come way down in price now, Amazon have it for £12.50, shipping not included....
    How much did people here pay for it again?? ;)

Just bought it, having had a blast this morning on the DC, and it came to €18.50, add in the €3.50 for Parcelmotel and it's a total of €22, happy days!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Probably worth seeing if it comes out over here, and then get the limited edition on the 3DS, but I think it is Zelda LttP lite

Actually it's more like Zelda 2 but with allthe crappy bits taken out.
    How much did people here pay for it again??

$85 :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    $85 :(

He he he....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

DinoRex wrote: »
    All this time and I'm only noticing now that the Doom guy is only holding one gun:

Doom_cover_art.jpg

Hi-res version

I always loved the PS1 cover of Doom where he's more of a jeans and tshirt kinda guy than a space marine.

Also, I've picked up Doom 3- BFG Edition. Can't wait to very stuck into that, as I never got to play Doom 3 when it was first doing the rounds because I was a PS2 head.

deathrider wrote: »
    Also, I've picked up Doom 3- BFG Edition. Can't wait to very stuck into that, as I never got to play Doom 3 when it was first doing the rounds because I was a PS2 head.

Prepare for disappointment.

Prepare for disappointment.

Have you played it yet? I'd be interested in hearing a real world opinion on it. From looking at certain online sources, apparently you can actually see things in the BFG edition...which should be a massive improvement...but maybe not?

I picked it up for €17 on Amazon last week, it comes with Doom 1 & 2 {360} either way so its not too bad. Looking forward to seeing whats it like. I have the pc original version, but its awful to play, you just can't see anything

I played it on release, once was enough. It wasn't a bad game, better than I was expecting to be honest, it just was a bit bland.

• Advertisement

I played it on release, once was enough. It wasn't a bad game, better than I was expecting to be honest, it just was a bit bland.

Yeah I suppose given its age, its up against it alright. Did you find they did a decent job on reworking the visuals etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement