Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, is this a repeat of previous experiences, where we make do with whatever slim pickings the first year brings us.

Yep, its how consoles roll these days :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, the stresses of a 21st century gamer, it's not easy you know....

Ah, the stresses of a 21st century gamer, it's not easy you know....

Look at it this way, you've tonnes of retro goodness to get you by :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently that now includes all my PS2 games now ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sonic Jump free on iOS for 24 hours.

It's a bit weird.

• Advertisement

Thought I was stoned there for a second when TG4 were showing a cuddly Veloceraptor in a train conductors uniform and speaking in Irish... Spielberg missed a trick there! Reckon it might make it into Jurassic Park SE!

And so it begins...anyone fancy a region free 3DS? - http://kotaku.com/5972141/the-3ds-is-being-hacked-and-why-this-is-good-news

Easily patchable according to the author of the exploit. Let the cat & mouse games begin

...The Crysis and Far Cry series are probably some of the best first person titles, aside from the superb Metroid Prime games..

Just saw this now, not been online properly for a while.

I have to disagree with you on crysis, i know everybody raves about it, but i thought the cloaking mechanic ruined crysis 2 completely. It was too easy to fall into the "cloak, shoot a couple of enemies, run to cover and hide while the cloak regenerates" pattern, and i think the pacing of the game suffered as a result.

I thought it was a decent shooter that was spoiled by one or two bad design mechanics and poor enough AI.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't be that kind on World atWar. thought it was terrible especially compared to the two WW2 CoD games before it on PC. Even the disappointing CoD 2 was far better.

I enjoyed it, i thought the storyline and voice acting was good, and gary oldman being associated with anything makes it worth a look in my book. It also had some very good sniping action like the level in the reichstag and around berlin, but without any of the easy-mode UV sights or digital scope magnification, or any of that messing around that's in the modern warfare games. It felt like it made landing a headshot at 3 or 400 yards much more satisfying.

Also i love World War 2 history, and in particular stuff like the post d-day landing pushes, the red army advance, and the battle of berlin etc, and the storyline went through a lot of that stuff quite well (including touching on some of the atrocities by the advancing red army soldiers in Berlin) so for most of those sections of the game i was in my element.

It also blatantly ripped off loads of it's scenes and set pieces from "enemy at the gates" which is one of my fave WW2 movies, so i was happy enough to overlook any issues i with it.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ...the problems with these missions is that you need to be in 3 or 4 places at once which is impossible so have to rely on the AI which is abaolutely terrible. It just doesn't work. Also all these levels suffer from respawning enemy syndrome.

Yeah, that was around the time that infinity ward and treyarch had differing ideas on infinite AI respawns, and so in successive games in the same series you'd see infinite respawns disappear, only to be reintroduced in the next game in the series.

I think it's irritating, and spoils the strategic pacing in an FPS game. I like being able to clear out enemies from an area, then wander around and resupply and look for easter eggs and collectibles and the like without hassle before advancing on to the next section. It's more true to life, and also a much more enjoyable way to play. With infinite respawns, it's just a constant push forward, and any attempt at strategic play or hanging back just results in you running out of ammo and getting overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

My beautiful WiiU is now playing videos through my home network :D

Damn im good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »
    My beautiful WiiU is now playing videos through my home network :D

Damn im good

So you found your computers IP Address, pure genius dude :D
    It is a nice unlisted feature to be fair, only mp4 files though isnt it?

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    So you found your computers IP Address, pure genius dude :D
    It is a nice unlisted feature to be fair, only mp4 files though isnt it?

Not if you do it right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

EnterNow wrote: »
    And so it begins...anyone fancy a region free 3DS? - http://kotaku.com/5972141/the-3ds-is-being-hacked-and-why-this-is-good-news

Easily patchable according to the author of the exploit. Let the cat & mouse games begin

Yeah I've been following this a bit and I don't know why people are excited for region free. If it's easily patchable surely it'll be good for nothing but piracy and homebrew unless people can figure out how to get games requiring higher firmwares to run on whatever the exploit works for.
    Though I suppose we don't know enough about the 3DS to know any of that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not if you do it right :P

Do tell :)

megaten wrote: »
    don't know why people are excited for region free

Because generally it saves you buying a different region console just to play regional exclusives that you otherwise couldn't play?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Do tell :)

Possible to broadcast to the wiiu through vlc or similar media software.

Be wary though i kept tinkering and now i have no wifi in the whole house:mad:

Lucky im hard wired into my pos cisco router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

EnterNow wrote: »
    Because generally it saves you buying a different region console just to play regional exclusives that you otherwise couldn't play?

Sorry I worded that wrongly. I meant that if an exploit is easily patched I can't see it doing much good for importers since later games will presumably require higher firmwares.

This is weird,
    My work PC is now letting me access forums and game sites that were previously locked out!
    Something strange going on here!
    Wonder if I should report it, just to be on the safe side, to IT?
    I mean, I don't want to get hung out to dry when someone there realises the mistake and then looks and see's that I'm spending too much time on here with you lot!!

Possible to broadcast to the wiiu through vlc or similar media software.

Be wary though i kept tinkering and now i have no wifi in the whole house:mad:

Lucky im hard wired into my pos cisco router

I wonder if I'd be able to link my Wii U into my server at home, it's running Linux though, well I think it is.... it's also hardwired into the home network.
    Hopefully whenever my LAN adapter arrives it'll be ace, watching media from the comfort of the gamepad!

Yep report it straight away

At least your ass is covered in case someone has messed on your work pc.

Or .......................................

Atrapitis.gif

Yep report it straight away

At least your ass is covered in case someone has messed on your work pc.

Or .......................................

Atrapitis.gif

27261113.jpg

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    Sorry I worded that wrongly. I meant that if an exploit is easily patched I can't see it doing much good for importers since later games will presumably require higher firmwares.

Yeah thats very true, new fw will always mean the door to the exploit is closed. Still though, if it sparks enough of an interest it might encourage others to create new exploits. The big downside to this is piracy, & its not as if you can even avoid it by buying legit carts...look at the GBA used cart scene, its a mess of boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I haven't had a wink of sleep in almost 36 hours. AND I NEVER FELT MORE ALIVE!

Yeah, I really should go to bed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Drinking champagne out if a plastic cup as I'm CLASSY AS F*CK.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

And I'm drink now. Happy New Years yis bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

My resolution is to get at least 3 pieces of a mainframe system this year.. as well as acquire a 3DO and CDi

Britney Spears is a ride.

By the time I'm finished with her box it'll be a triangle.

Happy New Year to all from the Sparks family

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hey happy new years!
    (and now for happy new beers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Enjoyed my annual drunken phone call from Atavan
    Happy New Year <3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

27261113.jpg
    ItsAnElaborateRuse.jpg
    oddly enough I've just realised by a&r definition , I have a pantry!
    (In fairness I just thought of it as the area, off kitchen, where we store food , ..and make the staff sleep when it's too cold for them to stay outside at night.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement