Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very slim pickin's in Smyths, HMV & even Xtra Vision too. Thats just the game way chasin' go I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone having any issues with hooking up two gamepads to 1 Wii U?
    It should just sync like the first pad but nothing happening on the second screen when I try to sync it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone having any issues with hooking up two gamepads to 1 Wii U?
    It should just sync like the first pad but nothing happening on the second screen when I try to sync it :(

It's not the most reliable source, but apparently the pads themselves are region locked: http://gamersyndrome.com/2012/news/nintendo-news/wii-u-gamepad-region-locked/

Also, is the firmware even in place for two pads yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Oh yeah, there's another update to look forward to, when there's finally something that supports two Wii-U pads.

Ahh, so it's not actually supported yet.
    It's been a bit of a crappy launch to be honest. Slow ass interface, slow ass online service and only one decent game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm currently loving this backloggery website that you guys recommended to me a few weeks ago. I can have new additions added onto my list before the change from the purchases hits my pocket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

one decent game.

Which one is that?
    NSMBWiiU?
    ZombieU?
    Sonic Transformed?

I'm looking to buy a game for mine but can't figure which is a mediocre piece of crap and which is a must have.
    There seems to be contrary opinions on the whole launch line up at the moment.

I'd say NSMB U & Zombi U are the only titles worth having at the moment. Little Inferno is on the eShop for €9.99 which is an semi-interesting puzzle title

• Registered Users Posts: 34,647 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My interest in the Wii mini just vanished - it only supports composite out :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    it only supports composite out :eek:

That is a real :eek: moment

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They completely removed component functionality. Which is just mental.

I wonder will it be moddable to RGB?

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd say NSMB U & Zombi U are the only titles worth having at the moment. Little Inferno is on the eShop for €9.99 which is an semi-interesting puzzle title

Rayman Legends looks like it's shaping up to be a worthy successor to Origins, and Tank! Tank! Tank! has me curious, even if they've bafflingly left out online-multiplayer. I mean, they're not system sellers, but they've got me gripping my wallet tight, lest it get any funny ideas.

Then again, last time I got a console at launch, the PS3, I sat around for over a year with that feeling you only ever get after being mugged, except the PS3 had the indecency to hang around, and mock you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Ps3 was also so large it never ceased to remind you of your poor purchase.
    And then they took out the backwards compatibility.... @ssholes!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Ps3 was also so large it never ceased to remind you of your poor purchase.
    And then they took out the backwards compatibility.... @ssholes!

Hmm, my B/C PS3 YLOD'd playing a PS2 game. It was actively trolling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Rayman Legends looks like it's shaping up to be a worthy successor to Origins, and Tank! Tank! Tank! has me curious, even if they've bafflingly left out online-multiplayer. I mean, they're not system sellers, but they've got me gripping my wallet tight, lest it get any funny ideas.
    Funnily enough, I was just reading your blog which discussed those two things. And if I recall, In Japan, Tank! Tank! Tank! has adopted a free to play strategy by letting you play the game 3 times a day for free, unless you buy some part of the game. Then you can play it for as much as you want. Also, if you were to buy every part of the game, it's quite a bit more expensive than buying it at retail.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505589

Still needs online, though (without stinkin' matchmaking).

Funnily enough, I was just reading your blog which discussed those two things. And if I recall, In Japan, Tank! Tank! Tank! has adopted a free to play strategy by letting you play the game 3 times a day for free, unless you buy some part of the game. Then you can play it for as much as you want. Also, if you were to buy every part of the game, it's quite a bit more expensive than buying it at retail.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505589

Still needs online, though (without stinkin' matchmaking).

In fairness, I'm entitled to labour a point, considering mostly no-one reads my blog, except my wife, and that's only because I've got it set as her home page.*

That pay model seems every bit as mongified as that time they did Extra Credits did a piece on it, which is generally a sign that a notion is far too optimistic and impractical to ever see life outside of a couple of quasi-academics who've taken a break from breathlessly gushing over each other's free-to-play bitmapped cash-in that 'totally, like, introduce mcguffins to the core dynamics and optimize the altruistic filters of the average ditto', all the while the rest of us are sat there gormless, trying to decipher one halfway coherent sentence out of a slew of buzzwords and half-measured concepts.

Well, that and the fact that any such models are immediately exploited by the evil-publisher du jour, before they quietly scrap it in favour of not being so brazenly money-hungry at the expense of the product they're actually trying to sell, to sate, yanno, their money-hunger, cause, well, yanno, capitalism, dude, and stuff....

I'm also going to state I'm actually a fan of Extra Credits, sometimes. Well, at the points they're not getting lost up their own rear-ends.

*Not really. Not for a lack of trying, mind.

Which one is that?
    NSMBWiiU?
    ZombieU?
    Sonic Transformed?

I'm looking to buy a game for mine but can't figure which is a mediocre piece of crap and which is a must have.
    There seems to be contrary opinions on the whole launch line up at the moment.

I meant Zombie U really although NSMB is decent but doesn't do a lot for me. I think I've got all the available games and downloads on my own Wii U now and I'm not impressed by it at all (although multiplayer Zombie U is a bit of fun).
    Down the country for the Xmas and the brother picked up a Wii U as well so was hoping to connect up a second gamepad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,016 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jesus Spec Ops The Line gets rough later on. Very harrowing. Also it along with Resonance of Fate and Alpha Protocol show that Game Devs need to stop hiring Nolan North to play Nathan Drake, the guy has a lot of range and versatility.

I think I've got all the available games and downloads on my own Wii U now and I'm not impressed by it at all

But the launch lineup has been known for ages, I think the console has potential but its gonna be ages before we see it. Hopefully Aliens Colonial Marines is as good as it looks

Some of the multi format titles did not make the jump to the WiiU well, some chugging frame rates apparently.
    Does not bode well, although presumably it's an optimisation issue, you'd imagine they'd have sorted it before releasing them into the wild!
    So, I was resisting ZombieU but looks like I'll have to jump in with both feet!
    Might check out Tescos, see what their prices are like.

• Advertisement

Some of the multi format titles did not make the jump to the WiiU well, some chugging frame rates apparently.
    Does not bode well, although presumably it's an optimisation issue, you'd imagine they'd have sorted it before releasing them into the wild!
    So, I was resisting ZombieU but looks like I'll have to jump in with both feet!
    Might check out Tescos, see what their prices are like.

Why resist Zombi U? Its a platform exclusive & doesn't suffer any of the other heartache the ported titles do. It has some innovative use of the pad & shows off the some of the consoles potential. The NNSMB U title seems the obligatory Mario title that Nintendo just churn out, hardly warranting its 'new' title, but still, its a decent enough game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tank! Tank! Tank! has been getting ripped apart by reviewers, and with good cause by the sound of it. Definitely the sort of title that should have been downloadable rather than a full retail release. Interesting to see they're giving the Gundam 'free to play a certain amount of times a day' method a go, although its crazy money to unlock the full thing.

I'm surprised so many are disappointed - the middling launch line-up has been a mainstay for the last seven or eight console releases to the point where it's pretty much a given at this point. When you buy early, you have to be ready for a year or so wait until the really good titles start trickling too, and have to swallow the price drops that will inevitably follow too. TBH, two pretty good games like ZombiU or NSMB is better than most consoles end up with these days.

And Sonic Racing doesn't count, considering the rest of us have been playing the (cheaper) PS3 or 360 versions for months :P But at least now we all have Alex Kidd to race with!

I'm surprised so many are disappointed - the middling launch line-up has been a mainstay for the last seven or eight console releases to the point where it's pretty much a given at this point. When you buy early, you have to be ready for a year or so wait until the really good titles start trickling too. TBH, two pretty good games like ZombiU or NSMB is better than most consoles end up with these days.

This.

The price of adopting early really seems to be a long wait before you get gaming fruition. Zombi U & NSMB are better launch titles than I've seen for the last few generations of any console.

But the launch lineup has been known for ages, I think the console has potential but its gonna be ages before we see it. Hopefully Aliens Colonial Marines is as good as it looks

I mean I can understand a lack of good games on launch, its the slow interface that gets me. Should have been optimised a hell of a lot more before public consumption.

I also wasn't a fan of the lightness of the gamepad but understand why they made it so light. For me a little extra weight on it makes a big difference(in a good way). I opened it up, added a decent amount of sugru to some of the empty space (of which there is lots) and it now feels really nice in my hands and not too heavy for extended play time.

I mean I can understand a lack of good games on launch, its the slow interface that gets me. Should have been optimised a hell of a lot more before public consumption.

Yeah it definitely needs some optimisation, I'm sure that'll come in the form of an update at some stage. For me the letdown is on the other end, particularly the sheer ineptitude of Nintendo's servers

Yeah it definitely needs some optimisation, I'm sure that'll come in the form of an update at some stage. For me the letdown is on the other end, particularly the sheer ineptitude of Nintendo's servers

The online/server side of things is pretty bad alright.

Master of the Universe

So when does the 'I'm never getting a console at launch again!' talk start? If I remember correctly, it was only a few weeks after the 3DS launch...so should be pretty imminent with the WiiU ;)

So when does the 'I'm never getting a console at launch again!' talk start? If I remember correctly, it was only a few weeks after the 3DS launch...so should be pretty imminent with the WiiU ;)

That vow can become muddied when there are Santa Claus loving kids involved :o

I never mind buying early, sometimes I wish companies would do a little better but I'm still happy to fork over the cash for new devices and gadgets.
    I'm a gadget nerd and it comes with the territory.:o

• Advertisement

With some devices its not really up to us, it's something that must be done.
    For me this was once a blanket approach to everything the big manufacturers produce, now though I am more selective.
    So no Vita, as yet, for me, not until something essential pops onto it or a decent trading opportunity arises.
    My getting the WiiU was opportunistic and, a bit like the ps3, I don't think waiting a year would have meant missing many essential experiences.
    But I have it now and have to make the best of it.
    So, is this a repeat of previous experiences, where we make do with whatever slim pickings the first year brings us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement