Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming down there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 candywoman

Hi ladies just wondering has anyone used the new No No device thinking off investing in one but bit costly at 237.00 euro if anyone is using at the moment would appreciate some feedback before purchasing:)

Hi candywoman, I moved your query into this thread as there is a good discussion on hair removal products already ongoing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

candywoman wrote: »
    Hi ladies just wondering has anyone used the new No No device thinking off investing in one but bit costly at 237.00 euro if anyone is using at the moment would appreciate some feedback before purchasing:)

Look in the beauty forum. I think there are a few threads about the nono. It got terrible reviews as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

candywoman wrote: »

My friend had one, said it wasn't worth 2c. Makes the entire house stink of burning hair and because it doesn't remove the hair from the root, you get almost immediate regrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

mood wrote: »
    But its cheaper that a salon/laser clinic. Did eye protection come with it?

Sorry - only saw your post now! No eye protection with it - the instructions say that the flashes are not harmful to your eyes, and to be honest, although I would consider my eyes pretty light-sensitive (I hate camera flashes etc), I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The salient word there is "can". Pretty much anything "can" happen to anyone at any time. It doesn't mean it "will". I've been Brazilian waxing for about 11 years now and have never even had thrush.

That's not having a pop at you at all, btw, more the scaremongering ways newspapers have of reporting research like this. Wearing thongs and showering instead of bathing can also make you more susceptible to UTIs, but no-one ever thinks they should stop doing either.

I can understand that tight clothing would make you susceptible to UTI's but thought it the other way around that going for baths make you more susceptible to UTI's than showering? Some docs and articles have said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Um, I don't completely remove hair.... I just trim..... less itching, and anyway I feel hairless lady bits are kind of child-like & creepy.. not a personal insult to anyone here it just reminds me of being about 7 or something.... I guess I'm just sorta self-assured when it comes to those things... rarely even shave my legs. I don't care about day time, but if I'm going out for the night and not wearing black tights I will shave, or if I wanna feel sexy lol.... I'm not a hairy beast, naturally blonde so yeah, it's no big deal. :o

doovdela wrote: »
    I can understand that tight clothing would make you susceptible to UTI's but thought it the other way around that going for baths make you more susceptible to UTI's than showering? Some docs and articles have said that?

Not according to the doc I went to last time I had a UTI. But it's probably like a lot of things, for every study proving something, there's another one disproving it. At any rate, I'd imagine the increased risk is negligible, most of us shower rather than bath and we're not all constantly crippled with UTIs. And that was kind of the point I was making, just because something "can" happen doesn't mean it automatically "will".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya I understand that ya. A bit odd I always was told when a young age that when getting UTI's not to have baths best to have a shower if you can. Logically speaking would think that its better to have a shower than a bath like with the bubbles and the air and stuff that a bath contribute to UTI's amongst other things especially since being girls being more prone to them. I am not crippled with them thank goodness but have had them and not nice to have.

Ya just cause it can happen doesn't necessary mean it will but often have it in the head that it might happen when its possible.

The majority of us would shower rather than go for a bath anyway. Well if that was the case wouldn't fellas not get it then and we'd all be getting them?

Showers are quicker does the job clean, and you not exposed to the air as long compared to a bath, nice to relax and have a soak once in a while but sometimes think showers are probably better than baths to be honest that just my opinion.

I just got a Lumea Precision (from Amazon, which was cheapest). It's too early for me to say if it works - only done one session with it, a couple of days ago, and can't expect to see anything for at least a couple of weeks. All I can say for now is that it's easy to use, doesn't hurt (I feel heat at the highest setting, but nothing uncomfortable. It's just heat, not like an electric 'zap' or anything).

I'll post again after a reasonable amount of time to update on whether or not I'm seeing results. The reviews seem really positive, so I'm hopeful...not cheap though!

I said that I would update on my progress with the Lumea Precision home IPL gadget - I've had it 6 weeks now, and have to say I'm very happy :) . I've now used it 3 times on my underarms - the hair is now mostly gone - maybe 85%, which is great. I've used it twice on my lower legs, and I'd say the hair is around 60% gone there - you can clearly see patches that I have missed, like down the front of my shin bone where it's difficult to use the device correctly - and over the rest of my lower legs there is just less hair, much sparser growth, if that makes sense.

As I said before, it doesn't hurt, just feels hot - I have yet to start on my bikini line though - so that could change ;) . I've also had no adverse skin reactions, which for me is great, as I have psoriasis and generally angry skin.

I would like it if the battery lasted a little longer - one charge gets me 2 underarms and 1.5 lower legs (so keep having to try to remember where I didn't get last time, and cover all the areas). Other than that I'm very happy though. It must be said though that I fall into the 'most suitable' category for its use, with my tip-ex white skin and gorilla black hair :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I said that I would update on my progress with the Lumea Precision home IPL gadget - I've had it 6 weeks now, and have to say I'm very happy :) . I've now used it 3 times on my underarms - the hair is now mostly gone - maybe 85%, which is great. I've used it twice on my lower legs, and I'd say the hair is around 60% gone there - you can clearly see patches that I have missed, like down the front of my shin bone where it's difficult to use the device correctly - and over the rest of my lower legs there is just less hair, much sparser growth, if that makes sense.

As I said before, it doesn't hurt, just feels hot - I have yet to start on my bikini line though - so that could change ;) . I've also had no adverse skin reactions, which for me is great, as I have psoriasis and generally angry skin.

I would like it if the battery lasted a little longer - one charge gets me 2 underarms and 1.5 lower legs (so keep having to try to remember where I didn't get last time, and cover all the areas). Other than that I'm very happy though. It must be said though that I fall into the 'most suitable' category for its use, with my tip-ex white skin and gorilla black hair :rolleyes:

Sounds great but I would worry that they supply no eye protection. In salons the technician and the customer wear eye protection when using laser machines!

mood wrote: »
    Sounds great but I would worry that they supply no eye protection. In salons the technician and the customer wear eye protection when using laser machines!

I'm guessing that as a consumer rather than salon device, it's probably less powerful? Also, it's IPL as opposed to laser, so again, less strong. I haven't used it on my face, but have never found the flashes at all uncomfortable. I guess I could always invest in my own eye protection anyway. Must do some research :)

I'm guessing that as a consumer rather than salon device, it's probably less powerful? Also, it's IPL as opposed to laser, so again, less strong. I haven't used it on my face, but have never found the flashes at all uncomfortable. I guess I could always invest in my own eye protection anyway. Must do some research :)

I had IPL on my face in a clinic and the technician and I both wore eye protection. I would be interested in buying the Lumea Precision home IPL (is it by Philips?) but would be concerned about my eyes. Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks

@mood Yes, it's by Philips - the exact one I have is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Precision-SC2002-01-Attachment/dp/B007CUV4HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349694436&sr=8-1.

On the eye issue, from Philips website:
    Question
    Can I hurt my eyes by using Philips Lumea?

Answer

No. Unlike professional salon laser treatment, it is not necessary to wear safety goggles.
    Light is only slightly visible during use, when it is reflected from your skin.
    The safety system prevents flashing when not fully in contact with the skin.
    Source

The safety system refered to is the fact that you have to press it into your skin - there are contact buttons around the light emitting bit - all have to be pressed in, forming a 'seal' around the area to be treated before the unit will flash, which prevents 'stray' light leaking out. You could of course use eye protection anyway if it is of concern to you.

@mood Yes, it's by Philips - the exact one I have is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Precision-SC2002-01-Attachment/dp/B007CUV4HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349694436&sr=8-1.

On the eye issue, from Philips website:

Source

The safety system refered to is the fact that you have to press it into your skin - there are contact buttons around the light emitting bit - all have to be pressed in, forming a 'seal' around the area to be treated before the unit will flash, which prevents 'stray' light leaking out. You could of course use eye protection anyway if it is of concern to you.

I might ask my optician next time I am passing. Thanks

Personally I've found hair removal cream to be the best thing for getting rid of 'down there hair'. It doesn't hurt like waxing and it barely itches when it's regrowing. The only thing I'd watch out for is irritation. For this kind of 'treatment' a spot test is essential to save yourself discomfort in a very sensitive area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Personally I've found hair removal cream to be the best thing for getting rid of 'down there hair'. It doesn't hurt like waxing and it barely itches when it's regrowing. The only thing I'd watch out for is irritation. For this kind of 'treatment' a spot test is essential to save yourself discomfort in a very sensitive area.
    I would usually wax my legs but, as there wasn't enough hair there last time to wax, I used veet, where you put it on for three minutes and use the scraper to remove it and it made my leg bleed. I would be very cautious using it anywhere else on my body, I guess always patch test.

I just find any method that doesn't remove the hair by the root a bit of a waste of time, tbh. I'd have regrowth in two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

bubblypop wrote: »
    if you find waxing painful maybe try 'no scream cream' cant remember where i got mine but it was online somewhere.
    you rub it in about an hour before a wax, not sure whats in it but it does kind of numb the area making it less painful.

not expensive either from what i remember.

Urban Wax sell this for €20. Just checked out their website. I think I'll be giving this a go I usually use a combination of the epilator and shaving. The epilator is hell and you can obviously only go so far with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Urban Wax sell this for €20. Just checked out their website. I think I'll be giving this a go I usually use a combination of the epilator and shaving. The epilator is hell and you can obviously only go so far with it.

Is epilating really that bad on the bikini line? I've moved to a new place and nowhere nearby uses Lycon wax, so I think I'll stop getting waxed for a while :(. Trying to decide what the best alternative is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I really liked my epilator. I used to epilate my underarms all the time before I got laser hair removal and it was grand. Sore the first time, less sore the second and so on.. I found my underarms were so smooth with the epilator and the hair growth was a good bit less than shaving. :)

So, because of this, I decided to try epilating my bikini line because I found it worked so well on my underarms. OH DEAR GOD. The pain was unreal. My bikini line (the bit I did before I nearly passed out from the pain) was roaring red, stinging, looked like a plucked chicken and bleeding profusely. And then when the hair started to grow back, almost all of them were ingrown hairs. Never again! :eek:

If I ever had to torture information out of someone (for the laugh, like) I would stick an epilator to their nether parts and they'd squeal like a pig. :cool:

Posy wrote: »
    I really liked my epilator. I used to epilate my underarms all the time before I got laser hair removal and it was grand. Sore the first time, less sore the second and so on.. I found my underarms were so smooth with the epilator and the hair growth was a good bit less than shaving. :)

So, because of this, I decided to try epilating my bikini line because I found it worked so well on my underarms. OH DEAR GOD. The pain was unreal. My bikini line (the bit I did before I nearly passed out from the pain) was roaring red, stinging, looked like a plucked chicken and bleeding profusely. And then when the hair started to grow back, almost all of them were ingrown hairs. Never again! :eek:

If I ever had to torture information out of someone (for the laugh, like) I would stick an epilator to their nether parts and they'd squeal like a pig. :cool:

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Faith wrote: »
    Is epilating really that bad on the bikini line? I've moved to a new place and nowhere nearby uses Lycon wax, so I think I'll stop getting waxed for a while :(. Trying to decide what the best alternative is.

I moved to a new area recently as well Faith and have only ever used Lycon for fanjita waxing. I couldn't bear the thought of having to start shaving there down there so before I made an appointment for my usual Hollywood I went to the beautician and she did a patch test and it was fine. She uses a natual/tea tree based wax and I was really wary but now I get it done every six weeks as usual and am glad I braved it. If I were you I'd go find a decent salon and have a chat with them - there are alternatives to Lycon out there that work and are good for sensitive skin, it just means shopping around and having trust in a decent and reputed beautician.

Don't even think about introducing your fanjita to an epilator. It's like introducing a delicate bonsai to a combine harvester! And Posy, my legs have been crossed and eyes watering since reading your post!! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Now all I can think of is fajitas with a glass of fanta

Thanks Merkin :). I'm in a pretty small town so I'll have to investigate if there's anything suitable at all around.

You're welcome Faith. :) I'm in quite a small town in the UK and I had serious heebiejeebies about finding someone decent but I asked around and found my girl by going in for an eyebrow wax first and asking her lots of questions. Turned out she had worked in London and Australia for ages so was well clued up with good products and treatments. I also wanted to see how the wax and I got on! I'd say shop/phone around and go in for another treatment so you can suss the place out before you allow her anywhere near your fanjita. I get my Hollywood done now for £18 because I go to this girl's house.....beats the €60 I used to pay in Dublin! I too was hung on up only using Lycon but there are other alternatives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Faith wrote: »

Deplielve (sp?) is very similar.

You could ring the distributors and ask if there is anyone using it in your area.

Posy wrote: »

Yeah that pretty much sums it up! :pac: I have to do my biniki area, underarms and legs on different days because it's too much pain to take all at once. It's bad the first time you do an area but it does get easier each time once you don't shave in between. I made the mistake of shaving so back to square one. The first time I was bleeding, same for under the arms though.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up! :pac: I have to do my biniki area, underarms and legs on different days because it's too much pain to take all at once. It's bad the first time you do an area but it does get easier each time once you don't shave in between. I made the mistake of shaving so back to square one. The first time I was bleeding, same for under the arms though.

OMG you poor girl, that sounds like absolute torture :eek:

• Advertisement

I do need to find a good waxing place! It's just the cost of it - €60 every month is a bit steep. Shaving is useless as it grows back too quick but I would use it in conjunction with the epilator. There are certain bits I wouldn't touch with the epilator, it's more for extended bikini type area.

I’ll continue to brave the epilator for the legs and underarms. :pac:

Advertisement