Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming down there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You're not supposed to put that stuff anywhere near your genitals :eek: Chemical burns on your ladyparts is definitely not a good thing.

Maybe she's just talking about the bikini line? You can use veet there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Veet makes cream for the bikini line, which ive used and its good. You can't use it to do a Brazilian tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I've always found waxing v painful and thought I'd really sensitive skin. The last time I got waxed my beautician knew her stuff and said unfortunately id really thick hair that grabbed loads of skin and follicle whenever I got waxed and the awful ingrown hairs would continue (sorry, prob tmi :o ). Boo anyway cos I loved the smoothness after a wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I get waxed and for me, it's much better than shaving. Like others, I also recommend the hot wax which cools as opposed to the strips which are ripped off. And I agree with Maple - exfoliate!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

how are waxes lasting ye so long?! Mine usually lasts only a few days then starts to slowly grow back :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I've always found waxing v painful and thought I'd really sensitive skin. The last time I got waxed my beautician knew her stuff and said unfortunately id really thick hair that grabbed loads of skin and follicle whenever I got waxed and the awful ingrown hairs would continue (sorry, prob tmi :o ). Boo anyway cos I loved the smoothness after a wax.

I got laser done for a similar reason. I used to be ruined for days after wax and hated the embarrassment each time. I opted for whole leg and bikini which is pricey. Have finished my original 6 sessions but need some more. Think it's worth it though for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

how are waxes lasting ye so long?! Mine usually lasts only a few days then starts to slowly grow back :(

I'll be completely smooth for about a week and a half, then very fine regrowth starts to kick in. It's a minimum of 4 weeks before I'd have enough regrowth to be waxed again, though, and I usually leave it 5.

ladylost wrote: »
    I got laser done for a similar reason. I used to be ruined for days after wax and hated the embarrassment each time. I opted for whole leg and bikini which is pricey. Have finished my original 6 sessions but need some more. Think it's worth it though for me

A friend of mine is the same, she also has very dark hair on very fair skin (not helped by PCOS) and she finally gave in and booked laser. She's getting full leg, Brazilian bikini line and underarms done for €995 in Therapie on Wicklow St., for anyone who's in Dublin and might be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

bluewolf wrote: »
    the only time i've had it done it definitely did not wear off after a half hour and it was extremely unattractive for about 2 days
    I'm a delicate flower, i'll have to accept it :pac:

sames. The first time I got it done it looked great from about 2 days, and lasted ages, second time it took almost a week before it looked good (I was bruised n all!) but also lasted for ages. I just found the pain too bad, I tried to leave half way through the second one, but yer one was having none of it!
    Tbh, I'm petrified of trying again. Can someone just clarify, both times they used hot wax and then a strip of cloth to pull it off, the hot wax people are referring to, this is different again?
    I'm back to using veet again but it's nowhere near as nice, I wish waxing wasn't so painful for me.

dearg lady wrote: »
    Can someone just clarify, both times they used hot wax and then a strip of cloth to pull it off, the hot wax people are referring to, this is different again?

Yes, the wax they used on you is known as strip wax (even though it's also hot). It's fine for use on legs and arms, but it can cause a lot of pulling when used on the bikini line. Hot wax is wax that's applied to the skin, which then "sets" and the therapist pulls off the piece of wax itself, rather than using a strip on top of it. It adheres to the hair follicle rather than the skin and is, theoretically, less painful than strip waxing. I never found strip waxing particularly painful anyway, so I can't comment on that aspect of it, but hot waxing is definitely quicker and cleaner.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yes, the wax they used on you is known as strip wax (even though it's also hot). It's fine for use on legs and arms, but it can cause a lot of pulling when used on the bikini line. Hot wax is wax that's applied to the skin, which then "sets" and the therapist pulls off the piece of wax itself, rather than using a strip on top of it. It adheres to the hair follicle rather than the skin and is, theoretically, less painful than strip waxing. I never found strip waxing particularly painful anyway, so I can't comment on that aspect of it, but hot waxing is definitely quicker and cleaner.

Thanks for that. I'm still way too traumatised, but maybe sometime in the future I'll work up the courage and try the hot wax.

if you find waxing painful maybe try 'no scream cream' cant remember where i got mine but it was online somewhere.
    you rub it in about an hour before a wax, not sure whats in it but it does kind of numb the area making it less painful.

not expensive either from what i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

You're not supposed to put that stuff anywhere near your genitals :eek: Chemical burns on your ladyparts is definitely not a good thing.

I got chronic dermatitis on my underarms from Veet, the skin was all broken and I had to get steroid cream for it. Couldn't wear deodorant or anything.The skin hasn't been the same since; there's no way that stuff will be going near my ladyparts!

I love getting waxed, it doesn't even hurt that much (strip waxing), but it only lasts a week or so before I get regrowth. I'd be a good candidate for laser, except for the price :(

Don't you hate it when the beautician leaves little bits of wax behind, you're unsticking your jeans from your backside for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Does it itch when the hair grows back after waxing? Or would hair removal cream be better? How often does it need to be done? Ive shaved before, but OMG the itching (particularly where the knicker line meets the shaved bit) is unbareable.

The regrowth doesn't hurt at all. I get a Hollywood every six weeks or so (I'm sallow but have blonde hair) and it is relatively painless and there is no itching/rashing/ingrown hair). 5-6 weeks is the average for getting it done again and you are best to get it done regularly (it weakens the hair folicle) than holding out and waiting until you have a full lady garden. Go for the hot wax and if you are in Dublin feel free to PM me and I will give you the name of a couple of good places. You won't shave again once you have found a good therapist. As for the increased sensitivity.....! ;)

bubblypop wrote: »
    if you find waxing painful maybe try 'no scream cream' cant remember where i got mine but it was online somewhere.
    you rub it in about an hour before a wax, not sure whats in it but it does kind of numb the area making it less painful.

not expensive either from what i remember.

cool, thanks, I might try that out. Still need to work up the courage (and save the money!)

Anyone who's posting saying it's relatively painless, I'm SO jealous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Maybe she's just talking about the bikini line? You can use veet there

No, I use it everywhere. If your careful with it and time it correctly then there's no reason why it would burn your skin. I only burned myself once with it, but that was my own stupidity 'cause I left it on too long, but honestly it wasn't too bad. It burned for the rest of the night, but I put Aloe Vera gel on it and the next morning I was fine ^.^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I got laser with an online deal - it was horrible. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Onixx wrote: »
    I got laser with an online deal - it was horrible. :(
    Horrible how? Painful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It's not the worst pain and it's very quick, but it's uncomfortable and the build-up is awful. And it takes ages. The thing makes a really horrible, loud zapping noise and then the follicle is literally burned.
    Depends on the person though - I never found waxing that painful whereas others can't bear it, so laser might be all right for other folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got one on my leg from Veet a few years ago, and I won't risk using the stuff again because of it. I have moles down there too, so I won't wax either. These days I rob OH'S beard trimmer :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'd be tempted to epilate, but considering that hurts like bajayzis on the shins alone, I can imagine the pain on pubic hair :eek:.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have an epilator and I find it less painful than waxing, but I do seem to be prone to ingrown hairs unfortunately. I've been using a scrub from the Body Shop though and it helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I think I'm a lone dissenting voice here - at this stage I just use a trimmer. :o But I find that it keeps everything tidy enough and there's no stubble problem. It's a cheap solution too.

Shaving just never worked out for me, it seemed to be stubbly pretty much instantly :/ I got a bikini wax a couple of times and between the ouch factor and the red spots, I decided there was no way I'd go further and get a Brazilian or Hollywood.

It's strange cause I've no problem at all with having my legs waxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I found laser unbelieveably painful at times but kept thinking it will be worth it in the end. I hope I'm right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Honey-ec wrote: »
    A friend of mine is the same, she also has very dark hair on very fair skin (not helped by PCOS) and she finally gave in and booked laser. She's getting full leg, Brazilian bikini line and underarms done for €995 in Therapie on Wicklow St., for anyone who's in Dublin and might be interested.

I'm sure her therapist went through this with her, but if the hair is hormonal then laser wont work. I was told so by my doctor and refused to listen. :rolleyes: Waste of a thousand euro in my case anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ladylost wrote: »
    I found laser unbelieveably painful at times but kept thinking it will be worth it in the end. I hope I'm right :)

Yeah, it is painful while you're getting it done but it's only about ten minutes for two areas while you're getting it done. I only get it done every 2 - 3 months at the moment and probably won't even need my next session in 3 months time now. You just keep telling yourself it'll be worth it. It's actually the fleshy areas that seem to hurt more. Thinking about getting full leg done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

EmilyO wrote: »
    I'd be a good candidate for laser, except for the price :(

Laser per treatment isn't that much more than waxing I thought? I haven't been for either in a while (started laser then never went for follow-up), but I remember looking at the prices and feeling silly that I'd spent so much money on waxing over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Morgase wrote: »
    I think I'm a lone dissenting voice here - at this stage I just use a trimmer. :o But I find that it keeps everything tidy enough and there's no stubble problem. It's a cheap solution too.

Shaving just never worked out for me, it seemed to be stubbly pretty much instantly :/ I got a bikini wax a couple of times and between the ouch factor and the red spots, I decided there was no way I'd go further and get a Brazilian or Hollywood.

It's strange cause I've no problem at all with having my legs waxed.

No you're not alone, I use one too :D Tbh I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain so waxing is out and I can't be bothered spending money on more expensive treatments. I have a trimmer that came with a men's grooming kit my husband has, I think its for sideburns and things like that but it suits the bikini area really well. Its really quick and easy to use.

YumCha wrote: »
    Laser per treatment isn't that much more than waxing I thought? I haven't been for either in a while (started laser then never went for follow-up), but I remember looking at the prices and feeling silly that I'd spent so much money on waxing over the years...

That could have been IPL, laser is generally between €150 and €200 per session depending on where you go.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm sure her therapist went through this with her, but if the hair is hormonal then laser wont work. I was told so by my doctor and refused to listen. :rolleyes: Waste of a thousand euro in my case anyway.

I'll make sure and say that to her, she hasn't been in for the consultation/patch test yet. Her hair is naturally very dark anyway, but she said the PCOS has made it much coarser.

Advertisement