Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Shamrok wrote: »
    Thanks and I know there's a touch version but I used to enjoy accessing the normal site on my phone. Its the only site now that just stops halfway across the loading bar and worse leaves me unable to use the net without restarting the phone.

We just found a bug this morning that might have been the cause of this. Can you check it out again and let me know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

On my widescreen monitor (1680x1050) there's a lot of wasted border space at the sides; would be nice if that could be tweaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

On my widescreen monitor (1680x1050) there's a lot of wasted border space at the sides; would be nice if that could be tweaked.

It can, enable the full width option to widen the page to your full monitor width. Without the option it locks to 1400px wide.
    top nav bar doesn't get anchored in iOS for ipad.

Talk to Apple about their horrific implementation of position:fixed. You can have a sticky bar that scrolls with the page that you can't click on unless you scroll to the top, or you can have a bar that stays and the top and works as expected. Apparently, you cannot have both.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bug

Issue
    Forum missing from dropdown after ban

Browser
    Google Chrome

OS
    Windows 7

I was banned from Games for three weeks, and then it was reveresed. After my ban was removed the forum is not visible from the dropdown menu. I am able to access from "My Forums" and if I actually drill into the games dropdown, it becomes visible.

Log out and log back in again. The menu is cached locally, there is no way to expire this cache on your machine when your ban is lifted.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Are links darker or is it because they're not underlined? - I'm finding them hard to see. :(

They are not underlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

We just found a bug this morning that might have been the cause of this. Can you check it out again and let me know?
    Yes, it's working okay now. Thanks for that.

It can, enable the full width option to widen the page to your full monitor width. Without the option it locks to 1400px wide.
    Thanks, though this seems to require that I both be logged in, and enable javascript from googleapis.com (which I intentionally keep disabled due to tracking on multiple sites); could the base theme be unlocked from 1400px?

• Advertisement

Thanks, though this seems to require that I both be logged in, and enable javascript from googleapis.com (which I intentionally keep disabled due to tracking on multiple sites); could the base theme be unlocked from 1400px?

I'm afraid not, no. Fluid width from 960px to 1400px is the way the design will be natively. The Google CDN is used to deliver jQuery 1.7.1

Okey that's a pity; I'll see if I can put together a Stylish hack to fix it in Firefox.

Okey that's a pity; I'll see if I can put together a Stylish hack to fix it in Firefox.

I can't imagine the site's functioning too well without jQuery anyway but here's the CSS in use by the option
    #nav,
    .home-container,
    .fix-width,
    #header .holder,
    #footer .holder,
    #breadcrumb-inner {
    	max-width:100%;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Hi Lads and Lassies glad to see that the old skin is still available as I said in myother 3 posts in the feedback thread I cannot with the new skinclose/delete/merge etc when using the new skin

You said you tested it and it worked for you but its not working for me

At the time I was using XP Pro so over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 7Pro and still the same thing

Its is making it difficult for me to function as a mod if all the tools Ishould have at my disposal are not there for me when using the new skin

I would prefer to use the new skin but I am happy as long as the old one isstill available to me and everything works for me

Your browser and browser version would be more important - Opera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Windows explorer 9

I can't imagine the site's functioning too well without jQuery anyway but here's the CSS in use by the option
    Nice one, thanks; I got it working with this Stylish script:
    @-moz-document domain(www.boards.ie),
    url-prefix(http://www.boards.ie/) {

#nav,
    .home-container,
    .fix-width,
    #header .holder,
    #footer .holder,
    #breadcrumb-inner {
    	max-width:100% !important;
    }
    }

Perfect now, looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

On Davs post he gave a link where you could change back to the old skin- has that now been done away with? I've clicked on it but it doesn't revert back to the original skin which is a major bummer. I found the simplicity of the old skin to be brilliant- much easier and more enjoyable to use than this new look.

What is the CSS code for the 'cozy' style option as well? Would like to stick that in Stylish too; cheers.

On Davs post he gave a link where you could change back to the old skin- has that now been done away with? I've clicked on it but it doesn't revert back to the original skin which is a major bummer. I found the simplicity of the old skin to be brilliant- much easier and more enjoyable to use than this new look.

In the breadcrumb - Switch to old look

What is the CSS code for the 'cozy' style option as well? Would like to stick that in Stylish too; cheers.
    /* Cozy General*/
    td.alt1, td.alt2 {
    	padding:5px;
    }

/* Nav Menu */
    .nav-area {
    	height: 18px;
    }
    #nav {
    	height: 18px;
    }
    #nav.scaling-active > li > a {
    	padding: 2px 0;
    }
    .head-padding {
    	margin-top: 95px;
    }
    .home-container {
    	margin-top:100px;
    }
    /* Header, Header Menus & Crumbs */
    #header {
    	top: 19px;
    }
    #header .holder {
    	padding-top:10px;
    	padding-bottom:10px;
    }
    #breadcrumb {
    	top: 65px;
    }
    #breadcrumb-inner {
    	padding-top:5px;
    	padding-bottom:3px;
    }
    #userlist, #forumlist {
    	margin-top: -5px;
    }

.forumlist .tcat {
    	padding:7px;
    }

/* Form threadlist filtering */
    .thread_filters td {
    	padding: 0 0 0 5px;
    }
    .thread_filters.toolbar .vbmenu_control {
    	padding: 7px 7px 8px 7px;
    }
    .thread_filters #filter_label {
    	line-height: 26px;
    }

/* Showthread */
    .toolbar .vbmenu_control {
    	padding:5px 10px;
    }

.thread_modlog td {
    	padding: 3px 5px;
    }

Thanks; those turn out pretty easy to setup in Stylish, just add !important before every ; to override.
    @-moz-document domain(www.boards.ie),
    url-prefix(http://www.boards.ie/) {
    td.alt1, td.alt2 {
    	padding:5px !important;
    }

.nav-area {
    	height: 18px !important;
    }
    #nav {
    	height: 18px !important;
    }
    #nav.scaling-active > li > a {
    	padding: 2px 0 !important;
    }
    .head-padding {
    	margin-top: 95px !important;
    }
    .home-container {
    	margin-top:100px !important;
    }

#header {
    	top: 19px !important;
    }
    #header .holder {
    	padding-top:10px !important;
    	padding-bottom:10px !important;
    }
    #breadcrumb {
    	top: 65px !important;
    }
    #breadcrumb-inner {
    	padding-top:5px !important;
    	padding-bottom:3px !important;
    }
    #userlist, #forumlist {
    	margin-top: -5px !important;
    }

.forumlist .tcat {
    	padding:7px !important;
    }

.thread_filters td {
    	padding: 0 0 0 5px !important;
    }
    .thread_filters.toolbar .vbmenu_control {
    	padding: 7px 7px 8px 7px !important;
    }
    .thread_filters #filter_label {
    	line-height: 26px !important;
    }

.toolbar .vbmenu_control {
    	padding:5px 10px !important;
    }

.thread_modlog td {
    	padding: 3px 5px !important;
    }
    }

Unfortunately any bug fixes or improvements to either and you're on your own, that'd be the disadvantage of using stylish over native I suppose

True indeed; is there a place where these css modifications can be looked at directly?

I tried digging into the web page source, and diffing the css scheme used both with and without the 'cozy' appearance option, but I guess it's actively applied by jQuery; while I'm plenty familiar with code, am not familiar with web stuff or searching through site scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Oh good, you made it so clicking on the number of followed threads brings you straight to them.

Since it's the default skin, I'll go with it for a few days to see how it goes. I think I can adjust to non-sticky, cosy full width.
    +1
    Are links darker or is it because they're not underlined? - I'm finding them hard to see. :(
    +1,

When Flux kicks in later on I won't see them at all.

They are not underlined.
    Why?

Is the blue darker, or is stuff greyer, I'm having to mess with contrast/colour/brightness settings...never mind, I think I was just getting use to it.

I like this new layout/look.:)

Except for the missing underline;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why?
    +1. What's the reason for removing the underline? It makes links quite difficult to see

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    +1. What's the reason for removing the underline?

Being 100% honest, the reason is the C in CSS...

I'll log that in our snaglist and see about getting them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

resize_0.gif
    resize_1.gif

^^^These little guys in the quick reply box aren't working anymore, for me anyway. Just letting ye know.

resize_0.gif
    resize_1.gif

^^^These little guys in the quick reply box aren't working anymore, for me anyway. Just letting ye know.

It's known, and melted my head yesterday :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Being 100% honest, the reason is the C in CSS...

I'll log that in our snaglist and see about getting them back.
    Please Paddy, or at least some way of making links stand out more.

As I said above, they're quite tough on those of us not blessed with 20:20 vision! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

keep getting a message when i log in....

internet explorer cannot open site........

operation aborted

> i'm using IE 8 and it only happens when i log in, when i'm logged out there's no problem:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

fryup wrote: »
    keep getting a message when i log in....

internet explorer cannot open site........

operation aborted

> i'm using IE 8 and it only happens when i log in, when i'm logged out there's no problem:confused:
    u may need to update your java i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mother of god will you turn it back to the way it was. It's clunky as feck on an iPhone, can't zoom in properly and scrolling is nigh impossible.

Also when you click "My Forums" and click a forum down the list it's so clunky you end up clicking 'search thread' because it takes so long for the site to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

u may need to update your java i think

how do i do that? i've using win XP btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

fryup wrote: »
    how do i do that? i've using win XP btw
    http://www.java.com/en/download/inc/windows_upgrade_ie.jsp

Advertisement