Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasteland 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Remembered I bought the Torment version that gave me this for free. Redeemed it on Steam just now, will play it at an undetermined point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Remembered I bought the Torment version that gave me this for free. Redeemed it on Steam just now, will play it at an undetermined point in the future.

:D

I was so hype for the release of this but now i can't even be arsed buying it. Will end up just waiting for it to go on sale. Pillars of Eternity on the other hand :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

as a veteran of many RPG's i should know better than to exhume a town's graveyard in plain sight of it's townsfolk..

the loot was awesome until the entire town decided they'd had enough of my desecration and every last one of them attacked my group :D

The game is pretty awesome, the hardass, kissass, and smartass options are very clever. The voice acting is good and the campaign (so far) is involving

well worth the 30 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Stopped playing at 5am, but only because I have to make it through a work night out at Oktoberfest Beag now. It's quite excellent. Good choice-making (the distress call dilemma at the start is very well done, and changes a lot of things), good skill progression (although I've never liked having all skill points linked to Intelligence, it hugely disadvantages anyone who isn't a genius), the sound and combat mechanics are just what I wanted. I particularly like the Leadership mechanic where companions will occasionally take the initiative if you're not much of a leader type. It's very respectful of Wasteland 1, but brings in a load of Fallout 1/2 style turn based combat, with bloody, gruesome death and descriptions. Loads of good dialogue, too (I recall the trailer boasting around half a million words in dialogue?), which is so important for this type of game. Well worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Keeps crashing for me after a few hours.
    Graphics start glitching out and everything starts moving at 1FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Started playing it too. I am actually in love! Brings me back to Fallout 2!

Finally I found something I want to put in some time in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Started playing it too. I am actually in love! Brings me back to Fallout 2!

Wait until you find the
    water chip
    in highpool :)

TomCo wrote: »
    Wait until you find the
    water chip
    in highpool :)

I loled actually. Best Junk ever for which so many people died :D

Anyway, I find it Ironic that you cant get your canteens refilled in Highpool. I am almost out of watter! :(

Other then that, I love the living **** out of this game. Spent another few hours today alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

How's the combat? I've seen a few reviews say its very dull.

Is it basically a 2D Fallout 3?

....Not including the actual 2D Fallouts :v

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Is it basically a 2D Fallout 3?

....Not including the actual 2D Fallouts :v

Combat is identical to fallout 2 you gimp. 2D Fallout 3... God, these younglings...

I personally love this combat system. It makes for a lot more complex choices on your characters and their builds. I love that they brought such system back. Next jagged alliance going Ap system too.

I'm loving the first two hours so far...however I'm struggling with the difficulty. All my team died against this frog like thing in a cave.

There are four difficulty levels. I picked the 2nd 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mr Blobby wrote: »

It's grand. Much like Fallout 1/2, or a slightly more complex XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I came across the mother-load of all caches while stumbling around the wasteland.

Sarky wrote: »
    It's grand. Much like Fallout 1/2, or a slightly more complex XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

i thought of it as slightly less strategic than XCOM, but there are certainly more ways to skin cats in WL2. Neither of them are strictly a specific genre, though XCOM will always imo be a strategy game and WL2 will always be an RPG. About the only similarities are cover based mechanics and they're both using turn based combat. I have to say though i really loved XCOM, and i really love WL2's combat.

The level up system where you've to call back to base to give a report to ding, that's brilliant :)

i thought of it as slightly less strategic than XCOM, but there are certainly more ways to skin cats in WL2. Neither of them are strictly a specific genre, though XCOM will always imo be a strategy game and WL2 will always be an RPG. About the only similarities are cover based mechanics and they're both using turn based combat. I have to say though i really loved XCOM, and i really love WL2's combat.

The level up system where you've to call back to base to give a report to ding, that's brilliant :)

Love the levelling up bit too.
    I actually think the voice acting is of an excellent standard, particularly considering this was a kickstarter prior to full release.

The audio is amazing, music is atmospheric and the artwork is great. I really loved the intro movie....reminded me of old school fmv's back in the day.
    And that picture on the loading screen is fantastic. The one with all the moss growing along-side the tall buildings.

However... I really need some guidance..as I'm a wasteland noob. I have only one team member left and she's ****ed on her own.

Does the game restart if all your party die?

the audio reminds me fallout and fallout 2, think it's the very same guy that did it on those anyway, but it's great, very atmospheric :)

if all of your party dies, that's it.. game over. I'm playing it on easy, and have sunk in around 20 hours since friday on that difficulty. The combat's pretty easy but managing health and rationing meds is another game all by itself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Miracle of Sound did the title Track :)

the audio reminds me fallout and fallout 2, think it's the very same guy that did it on those anyway, but it's great, very atmospheric :)

if all of your party dies, that's it.. game over. I'm playing it on easy, and have sunk in around 20 hours since friday on that difficulty. The combat's pretty easy but managing health and rationing meds is another game all by itself

Ok think I will restart the game on the easiest difficulty this evening and try again. Hopefully it's not too easy. I was really enjoying the combat up until I got owned by the thing in the cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I actually changed the difficulty on to easy as I'm not liking the fighting at all. I just find it very boring and want to get it over and done with so I can get on with the rest of the game, which I'm loving.

• Advertisement

Agree on sound. I have not played games on their own without a movie or music in the background, but every time I play wasteland 2, I turn everyting off and crank up Wasteland 2 sound. Really brings you back to Fallou1/2.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Miracle of Sound did the title Track :)

Are ye certain? Thought it was Mark Morgan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I may have to give this game a go.....never played anything like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've been really looking forward to this coming out of "Early Access". I'm fairly convinced now that it's worth spending some cash on... away i go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I dont mind the combat if i'm fighting enemies with guns as it's a bit more tactical and interesting. But fighting creatures who close in and use physical attacks is boring. The section i'm on at the moment has me fighting giant cockroaches that just surround my characters and bite. Only option is to run and gun.

I think I may have to give this game a go.....never played anything like it though.

Be warned, it's not a game that's best enjoyed at a quick pace, be ready to settle in for hours of text as well as some voice overs and a lot of weird sounds on the radio while you're travelling the wastes, and singing.. there's singing too, really bad singing :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Be warned, it's not a game that's best enjoyed at a quick pace, be ready to settle in for hours of text as well as some voice overs and a lot of weird sounds on the radio while you're travelling the wastes, and singing.. there's singing too, really bad singing :D

You know I've looking for something new to try on PC so I think I will give it a go :D

Where would be the cheapest place to buy?

got mine on g2play for 30 quid, but it's on sale there today for 20.. cant go wrong for that price

http://www.g2play.net/category/9629/wasteland-2-eu-steam-key/

So I finished with Highpool and now I am in second location.
    **** really hit the fan. I have to admit, they did it really well with choices. I really feel bad now :(

So one gripe: Fecking water issue. I had to go from Highpool to AG center with zero water... No oasis on a way. A bit stupid system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

got mine on g2play for 30 quid, but it's on sale there today for 20.. cant go wrong for that price

http://www.g2play.net/category/9629/wasteland-2-eu-steam-key/

Why did i click that link, you just made me want to buy Wasteland and about 5 others games off that site :mad:

Advertisement