Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Catholic house decoration' game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ninja900 wrote: »
    Ahh, Veritas. Thought I'd have a look there to see how the Catholic sex manual, 21st century style, is getting on...

Your Sexual Self, Pathway to Authentic Intimacy - no review blurb :( but doesn't sound too promising. Probably lots of empty pages except for one with "GET MARRIED" written on it.
    Seems the two who wrote this are a priest and a nun who live together!

Unsurprisingly they seem to be regarded as *rogue* in certain quarters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Dr Charlie is one of a nasty group of doctors in London who use their profession to prevent patients getting the most modern treatment in the interest of "staying true to Christ".

Here's his advice for doctors on how to avoid prescribing the morning-after pill. http://cmq.org.uk/CMQ/2011/3-avoid-morning-after-pill.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dades wrote: »
    Seems the two who wrote this are a priest and a nun who live together!

*tries hard to put aside years of Catholic school indoctrination and see priests and nuns as real people*

*fails dismally as never met a nun who didn't look at least 80 on a good day*

*then considers will Veritas be ordered to shut down by Rome over this*

*head explodes*

Edit: so I actually clicked on the blog for the priest and nun who live together. First thing I see...
    Try to enter the narrow way...

...I'll bet he does ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

http://ferderheagle.blogspot.ie/
    Ferder says the relationship is celibate

All that "authentic intimacy" was purely for research purposes. Including the "trying to enter the narrow way".
    The path to literary greatness is cruel and tortuous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

gawker wrote: »
    Oddest/freakiest moment of my life occurred at a friends house party. His mother is fairly religious and as I was taking a pee I noticed a statue of Mary staring right back at me from atop the toilet. It made me feel guilty about going toilet - how Catholic... :D

Just reminded me of that brilliant "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry (his new medication is causing him to drink and pee a lot) is peeing beside the Jesus picture.

Anyone interested will find it with a You Tube search: "pissing on Jesus"

Now just to keep this post on topic, surely where the relic is positioned should have some weighting on the points system? Personally I think a bathroom relic should score double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

bathroom relic

Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Cant believe it took half the thread to mention the ol marriage cert yoke from the pope! Pride of place in the sitting room.

How many points do y get for my wee little glow in the dark mary statue that looked just like a mini version of the blue hat holy water bottles..... When you held the wee statue up to a light for a minute and then turned off the lights the mary had a fierce holy glow off her for a bit.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

People gave my mother gifts of those tacky pictures with the red lights under them but she smiled politely and then put them in the shed for fear of them catching fire as they don't look very well put together and because they're tacky looking, plus my father is anti-religion.

my mother does have a small cross on the mantlepiece, some small statues but that's all dad will allow her, almost had a conniption when she wanted to put up a holy water font. if it wasn't for him im afraid i'd be into the 100s with the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Let's see...

Couple of bottles of holy water, including one I brough back from Lourdes when I was coerced into a pilgrimage.

Ceramic plate with a morose looking Jesus and "Bless this home and all who dwell in it" (or something to that effect) over the bathroom door.

There's a very dark, old painting of Jesus (about A3 sized) in my mother's bedroom. It's a family heirloom so I can't ask her to get rid of it.

Two sets of rosary beads bought when I visited the Vatican City during a whislte stop tour of Rome.

...What did I win?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Anybody still wearing those brown "scapula" things??

Please excuse the spelling as it's based on cork accent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Thinking back on our house, we scored a big NUL POINTS - Zero - 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Solair wrote: »
    Thinking back on our house, we scored a big NUL POINTS - Zero - 0

Must be Prods so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Must be Prods so :)

Nah, just good old-fashioned atheists (and nominally catholic if anyone asked any awkward questions in the olden days!)

Back in the 80s, our next-door neighbour (one of those creepy awl-wans who got thrown out of the convent for being too annoying) tried to kidnap us & bring us to a convent to have us baptised!

That's how hostile suburban Dublin was to non-Catholics / non-protestants back in the recent past.

She used to do things like give us crucifixes and cribs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

[off topic]
    Way to go, MammyDoom!

Had a laugh trying to imagine her avatar: Apocalyptic, in a comforting, motherly fashion. :D

[/off topic]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Anybody still wearing those brown "scapula" things?? Please excuse the spelling as it's based on cork accent ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Anybody still wearing those brown "scapula" things??

Please excuse the spelling as it's based on cork accent ;)

Ah the brown scapular, I haven't seen one of them for quite a while, comes with a built in iron clad guarantee that the Virgin Mary will deliver those who wear the scapular piously from Purgatory on the first Saturday after their death.

So max 1 week of torture before you get to rejoice in the presence of the lord.

That's a bit mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

No points from my parents house when I was growing up, but my grandmothers house would have been a top scorer back in the day. Numerous pictures of Jesus, one with a red light in the shape of a cross. The Mary shrine was inside but facing out a window, so I kinda called that 'outside' for the bonus points. Multiple holy water fonts in use, at every entrance to the building. Rosary beads in every room. A couple of pictures of old JPII, one of princess Diana (?), Padre Pio car sticker and a keychain on the car keys.

There were definitely masses held there, not sure if they were stations though - don't know if that's a Donegal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I'm either on 15 points or 115, since I can't remember whether we hosted stations or not. I seem to remember the local priest saying to my mother, 'wouldn't it be grand now if the stations were held in the house and ye being there for almost 10 years now?' or something to that effect.

I remember the stations in the neighbors houses, it was all a fairly old-fashioned affair. After the mass was over, all the men went out into the parlour to drink bottled Guinness and smoke with the priest while talking about important political and sporting matters while all the women and children were in the sitting room eating mikados and supping on sherry. Can't remember what the women were talking about, probably discussing ways to keep the husband off of you at night.

Eileen: I gives him a good dig in the ribs when he comes after me and he knows then to stay away from me Maura.
    Maura: Ara, I wish I was as bowld as you are, I wouldn't have all of these little feckers around me. Ah would ya look at what he's done now! Spilled TK red lemonade all over the carpet! For the love of God could ya not hold onto it?

Ah, the joys of a rural upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Solair wrote: »
    Back in the 80s, our next-door neighbour (one of those creepy awl-wans who got thrown out of the convent for being too annoying) tried to kidnap us & bring us to a convent to have us baptised!

Back in the 80s in suburban Dublin, one of our neighbours baptised her heathen grandchild in her kitchen sink...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

I'm on about 120. Her are another few gems that I remember the folks getting on the annual Knock roadtrip: Brown scapulars. I had a friend in college who's mother wouldn't let him leave home withou wearing one, he was 23-24 FFS!!!. Then there's the "Miraculous Medals" - little tiny Mary medallions. What else, oh there was a time when you could get Knock water in small gallons too. As for rosary beads, do you also remember the glow in the dark ones? Someone mentioned the oversize cork/conker beads - do ye remember the huge oversize glow in the dark ones too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ah the brown scapular, I haven't seen one of them for quite a while, comes with a built in iron clad guarantee that the Virgin Mary will deliver those who wear the scapular piously from Purgatory on the first Saturday after their death.

So max 1 week of torture before you get to rejoice in the presence of the lord.
    Only if you refrained from sex at least once in your life (easy enough I suppose) and ate fish on a Wednesday and Saturday (tricky one; Friday fish apparently is only for losers). It's very important to check the small print for these things.
    A scapular promise historically known as the Sabbatine privilege, was associated with an apocryphal Papal Bull allegedly by Pope John XXII. It states that through her special intercession, on the Saturday following their death, Mary will personally liberate and deliver the souls of devotees out of Purgatory. The Vatican has denied the validity of this document since 1613 and forbade the Carmelites to preach the Sabbatine privilege, an admonition which they did not always adhere to.At the same time however the Church gave the Carmelites permission to preach that Mary's merits and intercession would help those "who have departed this life in charity, have worn in life the scapular, have ever observed chastity, have recited the Little Hours of the Blessed Virgin, or, if they cannot read, have observed the fast days of the Church, and have abstained from flesh meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays."
    Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Brilliant thread, brings back so many happy memories! :p

I score about 180, possibly more but I cant remember ever having the stations.

Also, the thumpette clan had a fierce devotion to Padro Pio so there was a lot of previously unmentioned medals, plates with the good man himself, massive photos complete with the bleedy hands and at least 2 or 3 statues.

I'm not sure if it counts for this, as I'm not sure it referred specifically to the catholic god, but there was also a massive framed poem about a dude walking on a beach and there being only one set of footprints and yer man was pissed off that god wasn't walking beside him. Was all ok in the end though, god came back and told him 'sure wasn't I carrying you ya eejit!' Yer man felt like a tool then!

When myself and my husband bought a new apartment about 5 years ago (yip the dreaded 2007!) we got no fewer than 4 holy water fonts! Quick trip to the charity shop sorted that though!

(Our child of prague had the head knocked off and glued back on- must have been shoddy workmanship- or a sign!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Was there a general name for religious items associated with a particular saint?

Not relics (that's actual bits of as far as I remember). I am trying to remember the collective noun - any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Tat"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sarky wrote: »
    "Tat"?

I believe that has already been established. However this refers to the traditional term used by advocates of this stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

gozunda wrote: »
    Was there a general name for religious items associated with a particular saint?

Not relics (that's actual bits of as far as I remember). I am trying to remember the collective noun - any thoughts?
    Icon or artifact perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Was going to post in a similar cynical mocking vein - until it occurred to me that most of my relatives in Ireland were/are equally dismissive of the church until they needed someone burying or baptised or married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

indioblack wrote: »
    Was going to post in a similar cynical mocking vein - until it occurred to me that most of my relatives in Ireland were/are equally dismissive of the church until they needed someone burying or baptised or married.
    And then what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Squ wrote: »
    And then what happened?

Ouch. OK, walked into that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pasoprince

Ok so it's not necessarily a household relic but still pretty impressive. My nana bought me a pen in Lourdes (obviously) and if you hold it upside-down and then turn it the right way up, Our Lady descends into the grotto...that has to be worth some points?
    And, miraculously, the pen still works even though its about 15 years old. Freaky.

Advertisement