Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Catholic house decoration' game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

What do you get for 4 years service as an alter boy?

I'm on about 35, need a few more to actually secure a place in heaven.

A Mars bar and a packet of crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

robindch wrote: »
    Got to be 20 points -- translucent, but not clear, plastic body, blue head with crown? Must have made these by the truckload out in Hong Kong; don't believe they had injection moulding facilities in the laundries.

No, we've had those before, but this one's much classier. The whole body is white plastic. And it's bigger than the translucent ones, it's somewhere between those and a bottle of kids shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Piriz wrote: »
    yes and justifiably afraid... don't you remember 9:11 or the guy who drew a cartoon of Alagh (dont know how to spell it... maybe you spell it like Tallaght? Allaght)
    anyway Christians are wimps and many of us have been raised as Christians against our will and having developed the insight to see its all nonsence; we poke fun at it now... i hope this settles the matter for you.. :)

Surely you are not suggesting that the majority of those a&a' s, raised by Christians are in fact the sons and daughters of wimps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

A Mars bar and a packet of crisps

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Let's see...
    Picture of caucasian jebus looking forlorn with red lamp underneath (what the hell was the lamp for? Never figured that out)...check.
    Oversize rosery beads made from conkers sent from Magicgorrier or sumtin...check
    Genuine piece of the true cross (totally legit :) )...check
    Blessing certificate from pope JP one for Mam and Dads wedding...check
    Multiple Mary bottles of different sizes all lined up like little Russian dolls...check.

...Layer of dust on all of the above cause it hasn't been used/touched in years...check. That's probably minus points though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Did the priest bless your house?
    It's not uncommon around here

Not in estates of course but if you build on your own site the priest is welcomed and asked to bless the house

You can even get your new business blessed if you are self-employed :)

That's what caused the downturn, business owners didn't get blessings and so failure was inevitable ;)

Double points if you went down to the lake with your Dad to collect the reeds
    Treble points if you then made the cross yourself like you were shown in school. I knew how to once, wouldn't have a clue anymore
    My local priest wouldnt bless the new tesco openning in town because it opened on a sunday,but he would still have his dinner in the local hotel every sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

What do you get for 4 years service as an alter boy?.
    Too easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

pontia wrote: »
    for people who seem to believe in nothing you spend a lot of time giving out/abusing taking the piss out of catholics,strange you dont do same to muslims,you afraid there might be a backlash ?
    You must have missed the thread with the picture of Muhammad fúcking a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

Zero.

My Mum always thought religious tat was 'creepy'.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Counseling and a survivors helpline, quite often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Where is the child of Prague on that list???

Bonus points if he doesn't have a head.

More bonus points if he's been put out in the garden the night/week before a big event (wedding) in the hope that there will be sunshine on the day.

Child%20of%20Prague.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

30, maybe 35 if the holy water font is still being used but i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Let me see... Holy water font, a couple of plastic monks (including the black one), large bottle of Lourdes water, Child of Prague my mum hides money in, virgin and child wall plaque (communion present to me). Not too bad, but my aunt has the illuminated Sacred Heart, and the bits of palm on top of all the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Are there different point scores for rare Mary colours? Blue and white is the classic, but I think the more obscure ones should be worth more. Child of Prague with the Dougal expression, that's can be another ten pointer. How many for Black Saint Of The Endlessly Disputed Origin?

Mary shaped bottle of holy water? My mam has one, the whole head screws off.

How did I forget the Child of Prague, more points for me. My questionably black saint's head is glued on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

10 points for a photo of John F Kennedy....
    Sorry, JFK is not a bona fide saint, so he cannot generate holy points on his own.
    However, if he appears across the hall from The Pope, he definitely increases the power of the church, so we'll allow 5 extra bonus points onto the pope picture for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Should points be weighted in a house where no one (inc parents) ever went to mass, but had all the paraphernalia up for show?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Squ wrote: »
    Should points be weighted in a house where no one (inc parents) ever went to mass, but had all the paraphernalia up for show?

This is Ireland we're talking about, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ok what are points having relations who are
    • a nun
    • a priest
    • other religous interest - Legion of Mary, Knights of Colombanus etc...
    And also do you get points if they visit either
    • Monthly
    • Yearly
    • Never (minus points perhaps?)

That is of course if you can consider visiting religous relationsa as decorative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    A little game myself and some friends created. If the house you grew up in has any of the following, give yourself the co-responding points:
    Picture of Pope JP II: 20 points

Just thinking about my Gran's house, damn near off the charts as far as religious tat goes, but how many points does a picture of Benny Ratz get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm on about 35, need a few more to actually secure a place in heaven.

Muust resisssst filthy quip.

Padre Pio car sticker and The Last Supper framed print on kitchen wall over the kitchen table.

I must be on 40 points. I never win anything. All part of his plan. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

10, then -10, so 0.

My parents had a picture of God and Mary with some sort of new house blessing given to them by one set of my grandparents when they moved into a new house. They kept it in the hallway, just under the landing step so it wasn't very noticeable but could be seen by the giver when they visited. When we moved house a few years later it went 'missing.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Extra points if the holy water font was always empty.
    Super bonus points if you had one of these:

P1013014_bot_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Paparazzo wrote: »

P1013014_bot_3.jpg

Negative points if you ever caught your da filling it from the tap and winking at you when he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Holy Water font: 10 ponts
    Picture of Jesus: 10 points
    Rosery Beads: 10 points
    So 30 definite, we also had a little child of Prague (picture not statue) around as well. Any extra?

Now my gf's family or either of my deceased grannies - JACKPOT DING DING DING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

How did I forget the Child of Prague, more points for me. My questionably black saint's head is glued on.

Our one was hollow and the inside smelled like permanent marker, it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Paparazzo wrote: »

P1013014_bot_3.jpg

Super super bonus points if you got it in Knock or Lourdes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Does the Sacred Heart picture still count if someone had pasted the head of a velociraptor over jebus' face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

There's some special magic in the Child of Prague statue having its head broken. I've heard people used to do this deliberately.
    A friend (from Offaly) swears they used to give one as a present to newly-weds who were required to leave it outside the house during the honeymoon.
    Anyone who actually did this deserves eternal-life membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Got to be 20 points -- translucent, but not clear, plastic body, blue head with crown? Must have made these by the truckload out in Hong Kong; don't believe they had injection moulding facilities in the laundries.

5 for a vatican souvenir, 10 points for a photo of John F Kennedy, extra 5 for each surreptitious cross or photo of elderly relative with a priest, ten for each with a bishop, twenty for a cardinal and 50 for a pope.

Anything else?

I was on 25 points until this post. Two of my granduncles were priests. When one of them died, he left a bunch of old framed photos to my father, which means there are a bunch of pictures of old dead priests throughout the house now. Still freak me out but try not to look at them.

So yeah, I'm probably over 100 points by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Hmm, my mother put up a holy water font in the front porch. We are a "back door" house so nobody ever saw or used it. 10 points.

We also had one of those bottles of holy water pictured above. How many points was that?

My Nanny's house, however, was a sight to behold. Rosaries, mass cards, fonts, priests in and out, Great Aunt nun living next door, souvenirs from Lourdes/Knock/etc. Though nothing was more disturbing than the gigantic picture of Jesus holding his heart out in front of him, positioned at the top of the stairs above a sideboard which might reasonably be described a shrine. Or tabernacle. I assume this is the "sacred heart" picture referred to above?

"Mummy, why does Nanny have that picture? How can Jesus live without his heart inside him?"

Advertisement