Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Catholic house decoration' game

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

A little game myself and some friends created. If the house you grew up in has any of the following, give yourself the co-responding points:

Holy Water font: 10 ponts (+5 if it's still in use)
    Picture of Jesus: 10 points (+5 if it has a red light under it)
    Picture of Pope JP II: 20 points
    Mary Shrine: 50 points (+50 if it's out in the garden for all to see)
    Padre Pio car sticker: 20 ponts
    Rosery Beads: 10 points (keep in mind, some auld ones like to drape everything in them like it's going out of fashion)
    If your house ever hosted a station: 100 points (I only found out what it was recently from my OH, basically the preist and other parishioners come to your house and have mass, very culchie thing)

I get 40 points, but we played it at my OH's house, and it came to about 230 points.

Post the results of your findings (or try to remember what your house looks like) and we'll see how mad your family is.

Oh yeah, and if you can think of any other clichés, post them and add some more points for the laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Oddest/freakiest moment of my life occurred at a friends house party. His mother is fairly religious and as I was taking a pee I noticed a statue of Mary staring right back at me from atop the toilet. It made me feel guilty about going toilet - how Catholic... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

how many points for a god picture with a red light under it?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

lookitsme wrote: »
    how many points for a god picture with a red light under it?

15, 10 points without the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When you're done with this, check your car

Do you have Padre Pio stickers? Maybe two?

And on the visor do you have a laminated card of the motorists prayer?

Do you bless yourself as you drive past every Church and then 10 seconds later take the lords name in the vain about them wasters in the council who don't repair potholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

St Brigid's Cross = 10 points

• Advertisement

what about those little cards you get after people die with there picture on them, my granny used to have loads of them around her house. and not to mention the old country spring 3 litre bottle of holly water from knock in the press under the sink

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If you count things that are hidden away in a press or were only put in since I moved away, then its a 35. But when I was a kid we totaled 0... I'm impressed at my 'Catholic' parents lack of decoration.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

for people who seem to believe in nothing you spend a lot of time giving out/abusing taking the piss out of catholics,strange you dont do same to muslims,you afraid there might be a backlash ?

what about relics of Saints... a tiny piece of cloth or a splinter of the cross etc. must be worth a few points...
    had loads of them in my gaf.

or what about an atmosphere that god was present so we must remain serious? must be worth 200 points... that was what my nana's house was like alot..

or church collection envelopes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

pontia wrote: »
    for people who seem to believe in nothing you spend a lot of time giving out/abusing taking the piss out of catholics,strange you dont do same to muslims,you afraid there might be a backlash ?

Read back a little further in the forum, you'll see pretty much every religion getting made fun of. It's hardly our fault that Catholicism puts its metaphorical foot in its mouth so often.

We'll just accept your apology in advance, ok?

• Advertisement

yes and justifiably afraid... don't you remember 9:11 or the guy who drew a cartoon of Alagh (dont know how to spell it... maybe you spell it like Tallaght? Allaght)
    anyway Christians are wimps and many of us have been raised as Christians against our will and having developed the insight to see its all nonsence; we poke fun at it now... i hope this settles the matter for you.. :)

i don't think to op is taking the piss out of catholics just the crap they have or had in there house,

hows about the bits of palm tree, my gran used to say if you keep it safe in your house and never let it fall it will stop your house going on fire. its pretty sad but i think i'm doing fairly well with all the points i'm getting. are there any heaven concession tickets available for the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did the priest bless your house?
    It's not uncommon around here

Not in estates of course but if you build on your own site the priest is welcomed and asked to bless the house

You can even get your new business blessed if you are self-employed :)

That's what caused the downturn, business owners didn't get blessings and so failure was inevitable ;)

Piriz wrote: »
    St Brigid's Cross = 10 points

Double points if you went down to the lake with your Dad to collect the reeds
    Treble points if you then made the cross yourself like you were shown in school. I knew how to once, wouldn't have a clue anymore

I wasn't raised in a Muslim household. We're having light hearted fun at our up-bringing.

Muslim households could have sacred balloon animals for all I know, I wasn't around a lot of Muslims growing up.

But I bet they didn't boil all their food!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just realised my Mam is a 0.

Way to go, MammyDoom!

let you in on a secret,there are catholics in ireland that arent kiddie fiddlers ect,a bit of respect goes a long way

let you in on a secret,there are catholics in ireland that arent kiddie fiddlers ect,a bit of respect goes a long way

*Checks thread*

No one but you mentioned the the child molesting....

was only a matter of time,glad to help

Piriz wrote: »
    i just read this whole thread and didnt see anyone mention kiddie fiddlers until you.. but i guess kiddie fiddlers will always be brought up when discussing the Catholic church

Family member abused by a priest: 250 points

Cheers pontia, you're starting to turn a light hearted game into another sex scandal debate!

Bad troll! BAD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The relevance of your post is missing but sharing knowledge is always healthy. With that in mind here's a secret, it helps if you make sure your underwear isn't twisted before putting it on (or just go commando).

Anywho,

What do I get for a holy water bottle that I used to drink when visiting my grandparents, unknown to my aunt, who at a similar time decided said holy water bottle would serve as a good location to hide the vodka she wasn't allowed keep in the house. Queue sitcom style happenings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

0, zip, zilch, nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Most people on this forum are Irish, so not too many who would have grown up in muslim households, so hardly likely to come up.

Still, those that did grow up in muslim household could still play the game, with alterations. However a lot of forms of Islam would consider pictures of Muhammed and shrines to people other than allah sinful (see shirk), and most, if not all, would have similar style prayer rooms and pictures or scrolls of allahs name in arabic calligraphy, so maybe not so much differences to score on. Maybe they could have 10 or 20 points for pictures of Mecca?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zero for me.

A friend does have a sacred heart picture in his kitchen, but its not jebus. How many points for a sacred heart of Elvis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Have a terrible memory, would have to check next time I'm out there. But going off my memory, faulty as it is, I'd say 55.
    Generally, the things that are discussed here are topical to Ireland. This ought not be that unusual given that this is boards.ie I would think.

The influence of muslims isn't particularly strong here, and we generally don't have muslims come in here to challenge us on not believing in the deity of whoevers choice. Generally, we get catholics or christians come in asking why are we atheists, or have some misunderstanding on what an atheist is, and that serves as many a topic here.

What sort of backlash do you suppose we'd be afraid of?
    Not all priests molest children? Well, yes, ok, but forgive me if that lowly standard isn't enough to warrant respect. Respect is earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Are there different point scores for rare Mary colours? Blue and white is the classic, but I think the more obscure ones should be worth more. Child of Prague with the Dougal expression, that's can be another ten pointer. How many for Black Saint Of The Endlessly Disputed Origin?

Mary shaped bottle of holy water? My mam has one, the whole head screws off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

35 with a lot more if you include the bottles of holy water and mass cards in drawers and presses and the medals under mattresses.

Howe many points for a weekly rosary from age 9-12?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] there are catholics in ireland that arent kiddie fiddlers [...]
    And I think you'll find this thread is discussing them. Meanwhile:
    .  <- the point of this thread

pontia ->      .

Cheer up, m'dear :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mary shaped bottle of holy water?
    Got to be 20 points -- translucent, but not clear, plastic body, blue head with crown? Must have made these by the truckload out in Hong Kong; don't believe they had injection moulding facilities in the laundries.

5 for a vatican souvenir, 10 points for a photo of John F Kennedy, extra 5 for each surreptitious cross or photo of elderly relative with a priest, ten for each with a bishop, twenty for a cardinal and 50 for a pope.

Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

What do you get for 4 years service as an alter boy?

I'm on about 35, need a few more to actually secure a place in heaven.

Advertisement