Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made Arcade Machine???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Will try this tomorrow not at the computer now... Just another question the precompiled mame I downloaded doesn't have a lot of files the one from mamedev does like chdman.exe and few others does that matter??

All you really need is the mame .exe and a roms folder.
    The pre-compiled versions I have up on Retrovia work for pretty much everyone who's downloaded them and they are the ones I use myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Steve SI wrote: »
    Will try this tomorrow not at the computer now... Just another question the precompiled mame I downloaded doesn't have a lot of files the one from mamedev does like chdman.exe and few others does that matter??

All you really need is the mame .exe and a roms folder.
    The pre-compiled versions I have up on Retrovia work for pretty much everyone who's downloaded them and they are the ones I use myself.

Ye so It's obviously something I'm missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You have set the rom directory havn't you?

EnterNow wrote: »
    You have set the rom directory havn't you?

all the ones ive downloaded before i never had to set it it would just load the games.. so if ye can please talk to me like im a child and explain.. is that done in the mame config file??

i dont remember having to do this when just running mame on its own outside of a frontend

all the ones ive downloaded before i never had to set it it would just load the games.. so if ye can please talk to me like im a child and explain.. is that done in the mame config file??

i dont remember having to do this when just running mame on its own outside of a frontend

It may be done or it may not be. Forget about config giles etc for the minute. Load up Mame UI32, along the top got bar go to the settings. In directories, add a new rom directory, pointing it to wherever your roms are

• Advertisement

It may be done or it may not be. Forget about config giles etc for the minute. Load up Mame UI32, along the top got bar go to the settings. In directories, add a new rom directory, pointing it to wherever your roms are

sorry yes i already done that last night and still get the error about mame has stopped working
    i think there is something my windows needs that it doesn't have:mad::mad:

sorry yes i already done that last night and still get the error about mame has stopped working
    i think there is something my windows needs that it doesn't have:mad::mad:

Yeah the worst that should happen is a warning about missing roms. A message about Mame stopping working is defeintely a windows error, & you should troubleshoot in that direction. Have you got direct x installed?

Yeah the worst that should happen is a warning about missing roms. A message about Mame stopping working is defeintely a windows error, & you should troubleshoot in that direction. Have you got direct x installed?

ahh prob not because its a clean install of windows so all programs like that are more than likely not in yet

i jumped from sp1 to sp3 but i think direct x is part of sp2 was just looking online.. so obviously i dont have it

just want give a shout out to cathal who spend alot of time last night fixing my mame and getting my computer up and running im now able to get all my games runnng through frontend..

the only problem i have now which i hope is a small one is that all my games are running really slow.. tried metal slug,pacman, street fighter 2...

any ideas.. can ye increase the fps or something

just want give a shout out to cathal who spend alot of time last night fixing my mame and getting my computer up and running im now able to get all my games runnng through frontend..

the only problem i have now which i hope is a small one is that all my games are running really slow.. tried metal slug,pacman, street fighter 2...

What are the specs of the machine

• Advertisement

pentium 4 2.8ghz with h/t 4 gb ram and ati radeon 7500 graphics card

pentium 4 2.8ghz with h/t 4 gb ram and ati radeon 7500 graphics card

And is this a full on pc thats used for other gaming, internet etc etc...meaning you have all the usual services/antivirus/firewall running? If so, the CPU is your bottleneck there I'd think. Though I'd have thought it'd handle the likes of SF2 etc.

Your graphics card won't make any odds to Mame really, its all cpu based so a good cpu & plenty of ram is what Mame likes

no the only things its used for is my mame no other games on it i just had it connected to the internet yesterday for cathal to sort it out.. would it help if i turned everything off running in the background, or is would it be better to get a more powerful pc??

no the only things its used for is my mame no other games on it i just had it connected to the internet yesterday for cathal to sort it out.. would it help if i turned everything off running in the background, or is would it be better to get a more powerful pc??

Yeah cut down & remove everything thats not needed, antivirus, firewall, etc etc. Defrag the hdd, & it should be well able to handle those type of games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Just throwing it out there, dunno if it will make a difference, but increase the Virtual memory on the pc too?

ye i was thinking about the virtual memory myself... and i will turn off everything and anything i don't need cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Regarding using mameui
    Not sure how accurite this is but According to mameui.info
    MAMEUI is currently in maintenance mode with no active development taking place. The 64-bit version is still compiled and released when there is no breakage with the core.

No probs
    OK without any windows tweaking you should be able to run the likes of puckman, bubble bobble, puzzle bobble, snow bros perfectly
    First thing I'd do is run the games outside the FE and check if they're running full speed
    ie. goto a command prompt
    cd mame
    mame puckman

if they are
    Make sure your windows resolution matches FE resolution.

if they are still slow/laggy
    a couple of things to check would be
    1st Uninstall antivirus.
    2nd check out the options in your mame.ini file located in c:\mame\mame.ini
    a full explanation of the ini file can be seen a couple of things to check
    Uninstall antivirus.

a couple of things to check
    Uninstall antivirus.
    here
    If D3D is set as your video mode in the ini file make sure the latest directx is installed

another good read is on the mame homepage

keithgeo wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there, dunno if it will make a difference, but increase the Virtual memory on the pc too?
    ye i was thinking about the virtual memory myself... and i will turn off everything and anything i don't need cheers lads

Bump up your virtual memory/page file to be at least as big as your RAM. I would give it 10-20% more to be on the safe side, and make it static (make the min size the same as the max size).

Turn off system restore, just make sure to back up your drive, and adjust your graphical effects for best performance instead of best looks. Also open task manager and set your frontend and emulators to a higher priority for CPU resouurces. Just ctrl+alt+delete, find the program running, right click it, set priority, click OK. The "above normal" setting is usually fine.

This site is an excellent guide, and the list of things you can change starts off simple and gradually gets trickier. Just go as far as you feel comfortable.

http://tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm

There are also tools you can download that do the more advanced registry hacks to turn off balloon notification tips, disable certain services and stuff like that automatically for you with an interface rather than having to change registry values manually.

Try this one:

http://download.cnet.com/TweakXP-com-Tweaking-Utility/3000-2094_4-10608061.html

Good luck.

cheers lads ill try this when i get home this afternoon so hopefully i will get it sorted so i can continue with my build

Have you started building the cabinet or anything yet? if so post some Pics up!

• Advertisement

Have you started building the cabinet or anything yet? if so post some Pics up!

There is pics up areound page 2 or 3

ah yeh had a look at them there. did you attempt to paint it or anything yet?

ah yeh had a look at them there. did you attempt to paint it or anything yet?
    No was trying to get everything up and running but starting to think my pc isn't up to it

No was trying to get everything up and running but starting to think my pc isn't up to it

Perhaps the machine isnt up to the frontend but it should absolutely be fine for most MAME games.

Perhaps the machine isnt up to the frontend but it should absolutely be fine for most MAME games.
    No its perfect with maximus arcade goes through all the games and menus with absolutely no lag when i press on a game it launches it straight away just the games run really slow so I'm starting to think its something in the mame.ini that needs to be changed if everything works good upto that point

No its perfect with maximus arcade goes through all the games and menus with absolutely no lag when i press on a game it launches it straight away just the games run really slow so I'm starting to think its something in the mame.ini that needs to be changed if everything works good upto that point

And MAME is the exact same when run on its own without Maximus?

And MAME is the exact same when run on its own without Maximus?

Ye exactly the same

Ye exactly the same

Try this much older version of the official mamedev release from 2009.
    Just try a few basic games (no frontend) and see how it goes, I know you have the .146 romset but you should be able to play a load of games from that set on the .136 version.

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=releases/mame0136b.exe

Ye exactly the same

Try this much older version of the official mamedev release from 2009.
    Just try a few basic games (no frontend) and see how it goes, I know you have the .146 romset but you should be able to play a load of games from that set on the .136 version.

http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=releases/mame0136b.exe
    Cheers will give it a go

• Advertisement

Just a quick update lads i was having a look at my machine today and noticed when i press f9 to increase from skip the games ran perfectly but it seems all the games start at 1/10 and i have to increase them to get them to run smoothly.. is there somewhere in my mame.ini that i can set it to be running at 9/10 0r 10/10 where it runs at between 95-100%
    cheers

Advertisement