Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made Arcade Machine???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

if your using hyperspin or any other front end for that matter you don't want to be running mameUI(user interface). turn off advanced transitions, etc in hyperspin to cut down on the lag but IMO an optiplex gx280 wont be powerfull enough for hyperspin

ye i was thinking my gx280 might be a bit lightweight i dont mind using maximus arcade i think its quite good.. ye i think i was using the ui version on my laptop and it worked well just trying to get any version of it on my desktop is a problem.. ill try what enternow said and set it up on my desktop instead of laptop and then transferring it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why is that? Works fine on my setup

Better performance and less issues on the standard binary if using Hyperspin I thought.
    Seems to be the views of most of the main guys over on the hyperspin forum as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Better performance and less issues on the standard binary if using Hyperspin I thought.
    Seems to be the views of most of the main guys over on the hyperspin forum as well.

Weird, never had as much as a stutter while using MameUI as the exe target

Weird, never had as much as a stutter while using MameUI as the exe target

Well it should work fine really, but it is an extra layer that you don't need.
    I just use the normal MAME binaries as they're easier to compile with custom stuff and it's what the guy who makes Hyperspin recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You need to first concentrate on getting the emulators running before worrying about the frontends and their configuration.

Grab yourself a copy of the MAME binary, get the basic 32bit i686 version - try and get a version that matches your current rom set. Throw a few roms in the ROM folder and launch MAME. Even this version has a primate GUI to let you select roms etc.

Once you've got this sorted, its time to consider the frontend. Now the GX280 is pretty underpowered for the likes of Hyperspin but should handle MALA quiet well an this is a pretty decent frontend as well.

• Advertisement

ye i was trying to get mame to run outside of the frontend but it wouldn't run for some reason.. it would run on my laptop but when i tranferred the folder with all the roms and everything in it , it would not work.. do u think i should unzip it on my gx280 and set it up there instead of setting it up on my laptop and then transferring it?? because i think there must be some conflict there

It sounded like you were running a 64bit version of MAME on your laptop which won't run on the desktop. Download the 32bit version and try that on the desktop.

It sounded like you were running a 64bit version of MAME on your laptop which won't run on the desktop. Download the 32bit version and try that on the desktop.

Nope he said he had the 32bit version running.
    Lads head bent here had my whole hyperspin setup on my laptop 32 bit version of mame.

Copying an installation from one pc to another can be troublesome. Just download MameUI 32, a few current roms & start again

i had both version working on my laptop ..the 64bit gives and error which is normal but when i try to run the 32bit binary i get the small black box flash for a second but nothing happens and then when i try to run the UI version i can get in and pick my game but then gives the error i have posted in the pic a couple of posts back

Nope he said he had the 32bit version running.

Copying an installation from one pc to another can be troublesome. Just download MameUI 32, a few current roms & start again
    ye will do this when i get home i never even thought of it causing problems(damn my low IQ:D)

idiot4_2006608c.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah right, the small black box flashing up is MAME trying to start up. Probably missing a cfg file or rom paths not defined. If you run the MAME exe directly from a command box you'll see the actual error MAME is reporting.

Yeah so will just start afresh lads this evening and post back and let you know how i got on!!!
    Thanks for the help..:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

When i just launch mame on my cab i can only see about 10 games for some reason. they all work from hyperspin though so its no big deal.

If you copy mame+roms from one pc to another as the lads mentioned, different os, 64vs32bit, paths to where your roms are etc all come into play. it has to be exactly the same or your going to have to do some troubleshooting.

ye i was thinking my gx280 might be a bit lightweight i dont mind using maximus arcade

hyperspin will run on a gx280 as long as you've a half decent P4 processor like a 2.8ghz upwards and 3-4 gigs of ram. A dualcore is better but not essential, as is a gfx card. You'll need to knock off some of the transitions and animations, and make sure you're running it in it's native resolution 1024x768. Knock off as much of the windows xp background crap and services as possible too.

You'll be limited in what systems you can emulate but anything as far as an N64 or so will work fine. Hyperspin will be the biggest draw on your processor so streamlining your OS will be important. My cab is a P4 2.8ghz HP DC 5100 and runs fine with hyperspin setup as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Why don't you just use 'Acronis Disc Image' or something similar to make a perfect image copy of laptop hard drive onto you PC hard drive (Not the same as just copying). Then just update the drivers for m/board etc which is a simple job.

nacimroc wrote: »
    Why don't you just use 'Acronis Disc Image' or something similar to make a perfect image copy of laptop hard drive onto you PC hard drive (Not the same as just copying). Then just update the drivers for m/board etc which is a simple job.

Given the differences in architecture, I could see that making the problem ten times worse

Given the differences in architecture, I could see that making the problem ten times worse

Yup. The only way to config these things and be 100% sure you're not going to run into an issue is to work on the box you're going to use for the cab itself. You can set up all the artwork, media files, r0mz etc, on another machine, but delete all the config files, transfer it all over, and do all the settings, path definitions,.ini editing and getting things running the way you want on the actual box itself.

You'll inevitably run into problems trying to transfer over configs and settings, and it's sometimes hard to figure out what's causing the problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Reminds me of all the "fun" times I had setting up a mame pc too. Pain in the tits until everything was setup correctly. Great learning experience though.

Nightly sitting-room transformation (thankfully a distant memory) :pac:

CLFKh.jpg

I know its hell on Earth setting up a Mamecab with a frontend & game themes/previews etc! That picture summarises the experience perfectly :D

I know its hell on Earth setting up a Mamecab with a frontend & game themes/previews etc! That picture summarises the experience perfectly :D

Throw in a heavily pregnant wife in the background somewhere and you'll have a good idea what my last cab build process looked like. ;)

• Advertisement

no mine isn't that bad thank god i have a nice gamesroom built down the back of the garden with my poker table ,dartboard and cabinet and stuff there... oh and the must have for any session.. an en-suite bathroom!!!!!

Lads going absolutely mad here I totally cleared everything and started afresh unzipped mame to my c drive and installed the matching ROM set and it still won't work tried doing it on its on and inside frontends and still nothing.. I was reading something about mame.ini but I don't seem to have it or do I need it.. i downloaded a pre compiled one from retrovia.. is there anything at all I need to run mame?? Remember I have a totally fresh install of xp.. do i need flash player or anything along those lines??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You dont need to install flash or anything. You need to make sure you have the correct rom set for the version of mame. You create the mame.ini from a command prompt i think, have a google for that there and it should tell you how to do it.

keithgeo wrote: »
    You dont need to install flash or anything. You need to make sure you have the correct rom set for the version of mame. You create the mame.ini from a command prompt i think, have a google for that there and it should tell you how to do it.
    Yeah I have mame 146 and matching 146 roms ill Google it now but didn't have to do this before

mame -createconfig

Will create the basis mame.ini for you.

mame -createconfig

Will create the basis mame.ini for you.
    Tried that it says its not a valid internal or external blah blah blah

What XP service pack is installed ? Does sound like your XP install is missing some runtime libraries

What XP service pack is installed ? Does sound like your XP install is missing some runtime libraries
    I've service pack 3 installed and updated the BIOS aswell

Might be worth downloading

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

and

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24417

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »

Might be worth downloading

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

and

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24417

Will try this tomorrow not at the computer now... Just another question the precompiled mame I downloaded doesn't have a lot of files the one from mamedev does like chdman.exe and few others does that matter??

Advertisement